W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Lowering Modules: Are all equal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Electronic Lowering Modules: Are all equal?

I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for.

I'm finally biting the bullet and going to pull the trig on a lowering module but can't decide on the brand... the consensus is Renntech though i'm wondering if anyone has tried other brands Kleemann, Carlsson, Lorinser, Brabus etc. and compared back to back.

The literature states that dampening is "increased" but otherwise it's pretty vague. I think these airmatic cars handle like a bag of sht and would like the best handling solution.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know the main differences between the v2 and v3 variants of Renntech's ELM?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship

Great idea and something I want to know as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by 155

I'm finally biting the bullet and going to pull the trig on a lowering module but can't decide on the brand... the consensus is Renntech though i'm wondering if anyone has tried other brands Kleemann, Carlsson, Lorinser, Brabus etc. and compared back to back.

The literature states that dampening is "increased" but otherwise it's pretty vague. I think these airmatic cars handle like a bag of sht and would like the best handling solution.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know the main differences between the v2 and v3 variants of Renntech's ELM?

Get the Carlsson 100% plug N Play great stance and you dont have to fool with it all the time. I installed mine last June it took 5 minutes and i have not looked back or given it a second thought.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by 155

Thoughts?

I have a V2 waiting to be installed.

The main differences: V3 can be plugged in to a laptop to change heights. V2, you can get the remote for.

Is the Carlsson one adjustable?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Busta Riles

yes
Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM

R350
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
I have a V2 waiting to be installed.

The main differences: V3 can be plugged in to a laptop to change heights. V2, you can get the remote for.

OK, can you adjust the ride heigh from the ELM unit itself? Or do you need a laptop or remote to make it work?

Can you get a remote with v3 or is laptop only?

If i go v2 how much approx is the remote?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Without saying to much, and knowing the V2 w/remote and the the new V3. Get the V2.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by 155
OK, can you adjust the ride heigh from the ELM unit itself? Or do you need a laptop or remote to make it work?

Can you get a remote with v3 or is laptop only?

If i go v2 how much approx is the remote?

I have V2. V2 is adjustable from the module. Remote retails for $600, IIRC, not worth it, IMO. My module is hidden in the passenger foot well
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I have the v3 elm and can change height settings from usb to laptop. i have mine set at 2.2f and 1.95 r. i'm trying to reach renntech when they are back from holiday break. Not sure why, but when my car is at a redlight/idle, it drops lower...so not sure what height it is when its moving.....drop on renntech is up to 4inches
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, S550
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
yes
I assume this is the lowering module you have http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/200...lowering.shtml

I was reading your thread and a few others about the Carlsson and it looks very easy to install. However, how do you make all the height adjustments (via laptop or knobs on the ELM)?

Most critically, I am concerned about the car lowering itself above 60mph because according to Sonic MS my tire may rub the fender if I lower the car and it lowers itself at 60mph.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by LB63
I assume this is the lowering module you have http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/200...lowering.shtml

I was reading your thread and a few others about the Carlsson and it looks very easy to install. However, how do you make all the height adjustments (via laptop or knobs on the ELM)?

Most critically, I am concerned about the car lowering itself above 60mph because according to Sonic MS my tire may rub the fender if I lower the car and it lowers itself at 60mph.
There are dip switches on the heads of the unit. My car has never rubbed at any speed and i have 20x11's on the back of my car. The whole idea of ToOning your air shocks is amusing to me. You set the ride height you want and use the setting on the console to do the rest. I just don't get the fascination with laptop shock tuning and $600 dash mounted air shock adjusters.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 12-31-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
I just don't get the fascination with laptop shock tuning and $600 dash mounted air shock adjusters.
+1. The only raising I need is to get up a steep driveway.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

E63, S550
There are dip switches on the heads of the unit. My car has never rubbed at any speed and i have 20x11's on the back of my car. The whole idea of ToOning your air shocks is amusing to me. You set the ride height you want and use the setting on the console to do the rest. I just don't get the fascination with laptop shock tuning and $600 dash mounted air shock adjusters.
I'm not sure about the rubbing on my car, I thought the CLS' fenders can swallow a larger rim/tire size than an E. Right now I have the VRO5's with 285/30/20 in the back, I'm not sure about the offsets.

Basically it sounds like all you do is plug it in, adjust the height & settings, and button her up. That's all I want, set it and forget it.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I'm not sure about the rubbing on my car, I thought the CLS' fenders can swallow a larger rim/tire size than an E. Right now I have the VRO5's with 285/30/20 in the back, I'm not sure about the offsets.

Basically it sounds like all you do is plug it in, adjust the height & settings, and button her up. That's all I want, set it and forget it.
Then the Carlsson is for you
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by tbone
+1. The only raising I need is to get up a steep driveway.
Ditto and other than that it stays on sport2
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport

You run the risk of rubbing if you lower your car too much because your tire is too tall. Should be running a 285/25. I take my car to Sonic. They know what they're doing.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:50 PM

E63, S550
You run the risk of rubbing if you lower your car too much because your tire is too tall. Should be running a 285/25. I take my car to Sonic. They know what they're doing.
I just checked, it's 285/25. I don't want to dump it, just a nice one finger gap. Do you think it will work?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
I just checked, it's 285/25. I don't want to dump it, just a nice one finger gap. Do you think it will work?
You shouldn't rub as long as your offsets are correct.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 PM

'06 E55, '03 996TT, '07 Ridgeline
Get the Carlsson 100% plug N Play great stance and you dont have to fool with it all the time. I installed mine last June it took 5 minutes and i have not looked back or given it a second thought.

Love your car, FT! Those wheels look killer and the drop really compliments it...good job!

As far as the lowering module goes, I've got the Renntech V2, and I couldn't be happier. Install took about an hour and a half, but that included soldering and heat shrinking. I have it mounted in my center console underneath the cup holder, and I pretty much set it and forget it. A word to the wise...if you install this module, be sure to mount it in the center console BEFORE you solder all the wires. I didn't do it that way, and then had to cut all the wires and re-solder them.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 PM

E63, S550
You shouldn't rub as long as your offsets are correct.
I'm sure the off-sets are fine. I'll lower it just a little at a time.

The good thing is that Carlsson unit is plug and play. I am mechanically inclined but I don't feel like dealing with the cutting/splicing/soldering of wires that the Renntech unit requires. Moreover, according to Carlsson the lower module will also work on the W212
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
I am mechanically inclined but I don't feel like dealing with the cutting/splicing/soldering of wires that the Renntech unit requires.
On the Renntech ELM, version 2 and 3, no cutting, splicing or soldering or wires is required to do the install. That's is simply misinformation. Numerous owners have done their own installs of the Renntech unit.

The Renntech unit is capable of greater adjustment and fine tuning than any of the other brands of ELMs out there. I don't get why anyone would incur the cost of any brand ELM only to set it once and never adjust it again; go with the lowering links if that's your plan.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 AM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by novae500
I have the v3 elm and can change height settings from usb to laptop. i have mine set at 2.2f and 1.95 r. i'm trying to reach renntech when they are back from holiday break. Not sure why, but when my car is at a redlight/idle, it drops lower...so not sure what height it is when its moving.....drop on renntech is up to 4inches

The Renntech V3 unit has a second tab in the program that says "enable speed setting". Go to that tab, enable and say yes to the disclaimer, and raise it to like 200 mph. Basically, it states at what speed your car goes back to stock height (read the tab). When the car gets to about 10mph+, it will start raising back to stock height. I have mine set on 110 mph and around 80-90mpg, it starts it way back to stock- try 200 mph- give it a shot and chime back.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:50 AM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by komp55
On the Renntech ELM, version 2 and 3, no cutting, splicing or soldering or wires is required to do the install. That's is simply misinformation. Numerous owners have done their own installs of the Renntech unit.

The Renntech unit is capable of greater adjustment and fine tuning than any of the other brands of ELMs out there. I don't get why anyone would incur the cost of any brand ELM only to set it once and never adjust it again; go with the lowering links if that's your plan.
I always thought the Renntechs required splicing/messing with wires

I remember a few months ago I saw an MB mechanic installing a Renntech ELM and he was busy splicing wires and exchanging harness wires to install it.

Is version three a plug and play like the Carlsson? Also, I don't want to have to use a laptop to set it up since I don't have one.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:59 AM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
the advantage of the V3 is that the wiring is slightly simplier, and is easier to remember which wire needs to go where if you are returning it back to stock.
source: https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...enntech-2.html

So does the V3 need splicing/rewiring? The Carlsson looks like it has its own connector between the wires from the car and the suspension control unit thereby making it a much easier install. I've reached the point where I am too lazy to mess with wiring, but that's just me.

I'm not anti-Renntech, I just want:

1. Easy plug and play (without splicing or rewiring).
2. Does not require a laptop.
3. Ability to cancel the speed-dependent lowering.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 AMG
I'll contact Renntech and get the install instructions on the V3. I'm not familiar with it and don't know if it's any different to wire than the V1 or V2....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electronic Lowering Modules: Are all equal?