MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I should rephrase. I meant most that chase records also drive their cars frequently. This isn't a supra or cobra forum where there are alot of purpose built race cars. Actually I can't think of any besides maybe jrcart

Those that know me know that I stress reliability over a few hp. You must think I'm ***** to the wall, sacrifice nothing for performance type. I think you would be surprised how much I drive my car. I even drove all the way to Chicago for a tune. You want a rock solid reliable DD go buy a honda
I've never suggested that you sacrifice reliability; gotta say though, you've probably broken more axles than any other MB (most AMG owners probably don't consider those "consumables"), and dropped serious coin into a built transmission for a reason - don't recall if your stock tranny broke or not, and am too lazy to search .

Oh, and not really a Honda guy (not that there's anything wrong with them). In any event, I get what you're saying, but I guess you either don't get what I'm saying, or do but simply disagree (which is fine). Not really germane to the OP's thread and present situation anyway, so let's just leave it at that.... and best of luck at MIR.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by 220S
But you have other cars, right? If something went wrong it's not your DD. That's what I meant. I have mine as a DD and I won't be doing any mods, I prefer 100% peace of mind and 100% warranty. I have a Porsche for the track and for driving "very often" during the week and weekends. If it blows up then that's the way it goes. But I can still get around.
Everyone should have at least 2 cars if you wanna go pressing one of their engines to limits it's obviously not intended to go to....
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
I have not seen anyone reply to your first write up.. Except to ask who you are?

but i can tell you that most people that have seen the pictures share the same thoughts
I am truly sorry for what has happened to your motor. Keep your head up, better things are on the horizon for you. My intent was not to detract from the thread by adding mystery, I just saw clear misdirection and misinformation being posted on behalf of the tuner in question. That kind of nonsense ruins the fun for everyone. Unfortunately a significant portion of this forums membership is probably scared about using any tuner, which certainly should not be the case. Again I wish you the best of luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Would the brain trust here agree that my Eurocharged tuned SL600 is safe, if I tell you that I've made (4) 150+ mph blasts, roughly (10) mid 11second - low 12second 1/4 mile passes, and have put about 7K miles on the tune. All on pump 93 octane.

Is it common to have that kind of performance and longevity before a problem arises? Or do bad tunes normally make the car go boom within the first few hard miles?

The reason I ask is, and I think it was already mentioned somewhere in this thread, is that once a tuner comes up with a cal, wouldn't they use that as their base flash for all subsequent tunes for the same car? No need to keep making new cals for every customer, right?. So, if the cal is bad, wouldn't we see a lot more grenaded motors? I understand that the OPs car was a custom tune, but I'm guessing it was based on their time tested base flash with a few more parameters changed. But, given Eurocharged's recent rise in popularity, I'm sure they've become quite competent at changing those few parameters. It would seem to me that, if the tune is indeed the culprit, and I'm not saying it is, that it would've been caused by a mistake in the custom portion of the tune, no? Maybe Eurocharged can post the entries made in the OPs cal, and post it side by side with a cal of another customer ,with the same car, that has seen no issues, to see just how much difference there is between the two. Maybe that's asking too much, with the intellectual property at stake, but thought I'd put it out there.

Also worth mentioning that my Eurocharged tuned E500 has roughly 30K miles on the tune will no ill affects.
No they don't have to go right away, some motors live a long life being beaten on by a ball pean hammer (detonation) before giving up. Regarding the SL600, Log, and check your plugs--reading them is an easy/cheap way to detect detonation. N/A motors are almost impossible to grenade, it takes a special kind of person to blow up a stock longblock naturally aspirated motor so you should be ok.As for the rest of your post, if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't be as worried...

Last edited by MBVert; 03-17-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I've never suggested that you sacrifice reliability; gotta say though, you've probably broken more axles than any other MB (most AMG owners probably don't consider those "consumables"), and dropped serious coin into a built transmission for a reason - don't recall if your stock tranny broke or not, and am too lazy to search .

Oh, and not really a Honda guy (not that there's anything wrong with them). In any event, I get what you're saying, but I guess you either don't get what I'm saying, or do but simply disagree (which is fine). Not really germane to the OP's thread and present situation anyway, so let's just leave it at that.... and best of luck at MIR.
Ok. Yes breaking is part of racing. Axles are $100 from junkyard and I replace them at the track. No biggie. No need to call a big name tuner to reem me for a huge bill. I haven't broken one in a long time now, it's all about proper tire/suspension/launch. I would say I consistently launch harder than anybody else too, if I was cutting 1.7 60's nothing would break. As for the trans, "serious coin" is relative considering people pay more for just a tune, headers, or TB from the big name tuners. Hell, they even charge $4k for "intercooler pump upgrade" and people pay it! When you look at it in that context it's a bargain. And it seems like I'm not doing too bad at the track without paying an arm and a leg. I still can't believe people pay these prices! http://www.renntechmercedes.com/sl.php

Thanks. I agree, back on topic
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 AM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by MBVert
I am truly sorry for what has happened to your motor. Keep your head up, better things are on the horizon for you. My intent was not to detract from the thread by adding mystery, I just saw clear misdirection and misinformation being posted on behalf of the tuner in question. That kind of nonsense ruins the fun for everyone. Unfortunately a significant portion of this forums membership is probably scared about using any tuner, which certainly should not be the case. Again I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks man
Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
First off, I want to thank the OP for posting this. It seems that he is trying to be reasonable to both LET and the members of the forum. But while it is extremely interesting that the motor blew just 80 miles after the tune, that does not mean that the tune caused the problem. Lots of people drop dead within days of getting a check up - that usually doesn't mean the doctor was incompetent. However, I am very interested in hearing a professional opinion of what happened -- it seems to me that only the person that tore the engine down can render that opinion. As some have noted, there is a lot of missing information (condition of heads, valves, other cylinders, etc.) that could shed light on this. While it looks like a long shot right now, I hope that the outcome ends up being acceptable to all of the concerned parties.

Also, I find it odd that on most threads like this a lot of new people who have never been members before chime in with very strong opinions - while it may not be the case, it often seems as if these new members have a dog in the fight. When a new member speaks up as an "expert witness", it is reasonable for thread readers to wonder about these individuals' affiliations and experience. Especially since "There is no reason for secrecy in this situation either. Remember, if you post the truth, you cannot be sued. Do not be intimidated, it's your car and your right." (Of course, you can get sued for just about anything in this country.) So, if you are a new member and want your posts to be taken at face value, then you may want to post some credentials. Just my $.02.

I am not trying to stick up for anyone and I am certainly not taking sides - I just want to know who is who so I can weigh everyone's comments appropriately. (I am not a vendor or a tech or anything like that and I don't know anyone on this thread - I'm just a M-B enthusiast interested in knowing what really happened.)
+1
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
No they don't have to go right away, some motors live a long life being beaten on by a ball pean hammer (detonation) before giving up. Regarding the SL600, Log, and check your plugs--reading them is an easy/cheap way to detect detonation. N/A motors are almost impossible to grenade, it takes a special kind of person to blow up a stock longblock naturally aspirated motor so you should be ok.As for the rest of your post, if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't be as worried...
SL600 is a Twin Turbo V12
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by Tony@Eurocharged
Ok not trying to push off the knowledge of your technician but when I speak with guys that have worked for dealerships for years they all say I cant do the stuff you do, I just follow the books. So just because they work for a dealership don't mean they have all the answers, ask him so how many cars have you tuned? Does he know what the inside of the bosch me2.8 ecu looks like?

This goes both ways I dont claim because im a certified master tuner that I know everything there is to know about servicing a car.
yes - that is also because not every tech at an MB dealer can work on a AMG cars. this tech had been around tuned european cars for a while, also did plenty of aftermarket work for me. ALSO spent hours diagnosing the shietty driveability issues my car had that were caused by POOR LET tuning for the larger 80mm throttle body i had on my car. the driveabilty issues i never had before you and Wayne came out to NJ and tuned my car.

btw yes he knows what an inside of bosch ME2.8, ME7, ME9, ME17.5 looks like

tony you seemed like a nice guy when we met before. however i have seen detonation damage in my days and have some melted pistons hanging in my garagae as "trophies", by looking at Luis's motor it's very obvious as to what happened to it.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63
We have been advised to not comment on this any further. If you have questions or concerns, please call us to discuss
Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
vje

AMGs
Originally Posted by Eurocharged
We have been advised to not comment on this any further. If you have questions or concerns, please call us to discuss
Yes you should not advise/post such misinformation at all while you are a respected vendor for many of us here, you are losing your face and our face when we have your products on our cars.

I am your customer. Why I hide? Because I still want to do business with you. I like your stuff. But I am not stupid. I listen, but not blindly listen. Tony should have not given such really bad advises here. It will make you look really bad in the long run.

I can eat 2-3 times a day, change my cloth every day, pump my gas every week, BUT MAN... I AM NOT CHANGING MY PLUGS EVERY 3K MILES

I do believe the cause is not 100% your tune, but it's not 0% your fault either. Your tune definitely places a role in here. Do I have your tune on my car? Yes I do. Do I like it? Not really super satisfy (I do not think you did your best on my tune, it take 3 times to fix an issue but I understand it, you learn as R&D), but I like it. I like some other stuffs and specially your investment on R&D on some stuffs that make many of us here happy and save a lot of money.

In the past, you had offered me some labor cost when you had some issues with your products, but what turned out? I appreciated and I did not take your money. I understood it and I was just as happy as I got a replacement from you. I ate the labor cost.

This time, I am a bit disappointed at you. You have shown us the lack of something that you shouldn’t have shown and you have shown us some lacks of some of your employees (NOT ALL OF YOU THOUG) and some lacks of responsibility.

Instead of thinking about the lawyer to sue each other from both side (OP and LET), I think it's better to save the fee and work together to take the cost down. Don't just throw the money to lawyers. Sorry if you are a lawyer in here. I wish I am a lawyer too

In the end, I am still your customer, but I hope you see your problem and fix it as everyone may look at you differently.

Good luck to both of you! I wish you the best OP.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by vje
Yes you should not advise/post such misinformation at all while you are a respected vendor for many of us here, you are losing your face and our face when we have your products on our cars.

I am your customer. Why I hide? Because I still want to do business with you. I like your stuff. But I am not stupid. I listen, but not blindly listen. Tony should have not given such really bad advises here. It will make you look really bad in the long run.

I can eat 2-3 times a day, change my cloth every day, pump my gas every week, BUT MAN... I AM NOT CHANGING MY PLUGS EVERY 3K MILES

I do believe the cause is not 100% your tune, but it's not 0% your fault either. Your tune definitely places a role in here. Do I have your tune on my car? Yes I do. Do I like it? Not really super satisfy (I do not think you did your best on my tune, it take 3 times to fix an issue but I understand it, you learn as R&D), but I like it. I like some other stuffs and specially your investment on R&D on some stuffs that make many of us here happy and save a lot of money.

In the past, you had offered me some labor cost when you had some issues with your products, but what turned out? I appreciated and I did not take your money. I understood it and I was just as happy as I got a replacement from you. I ate the labor cost.

This time, I am a bit disappointed at you. You have shown us the lack of something that you shouldn’t have shown and you have shown us some lacks of some of your employees (NOT ALL OF YOU THOUG) and some lacks of responsibility.

Instead of thinking about the lawyer to sue each other from both side (OP and LET), I think it's better to save the fee and work together to take the cost down. Don't just throw the money to lawyers. Sorry if you are a lawyer in here. I wish I am a lawyer too

In the end, I am still your customer, but I hope you see your problem and fix it as everyone may look at you differently.

I have to call BS. You are complaining about LET but are still willing to do business with them? I do not know who you are but I call BS.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
vje

AMGs
Originally Posted by jcjmw
I have to call BS.
Whatever you want to call. You gotta be one of the lawyer

You are complaining about LET
Yes, that is what I want to say to Eurocharged. Save their face and save our face

still willing to do business with them?
Yes, I do not want to take off all the LET parts on my car. Whatever, I choose to put on are good one at least in my opinion (I do not care yours). One makes a mistake doesn't mean he is all bad. Plus as I told in my post, I listen, but don't blindly listen.

I do not know who you are but I call BS.
I don't know who you are either and I don't care who you are. Specially, this thread is not for me, neither for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vje

Ahhh yet another awesome noob that apparently has no grasp of the english language...
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
SL600 is a Twin Turbo V12
I realize that. Thats why I stated to check the plugs/log the V12 but be less worried about the N/A V8.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by citylightva
Ahhh yet another awesome noob that apparently has no grasp of the english language...
You realize that MB/AMG exports cars outside the U.S.? Maybe you can cut the individual some slack as English is obviously and probably not his native tonque? Otherwise, sad to see what's happened, the tuner lawyered up and is counting on this thread being locked, or going down the tubes due to BS digressions and frivilous arguing. Best of luck to the owner, to anyone left with doubt in their minds, take the pictures and story to someone you trust (engine builder, tuner, whatever) and see what they have to say.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by citylightva
Obviously english isn't his primary language. Try writing your next insightful post in Korean, and see how well you fare.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by indyjoe
Obviously english isn't his primary language. Try writing your next insightful post in Korean, and see how well you fare.
Mostly as insightful as this whole thread has become. Woohoo I have managed to stoop down...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
You realize that MB/AMG exports cars outside the U.S.? Maybe you can cut the individual some slack as English is obviously and probably not his native tonque? Otherwise, sad to see what's happened, the tuner lawyered up and is counting on this thread being locked, or going down the tubes due to BS digressions and frivilous arguing. Best of luck to the owner, to anyone left with doubt in their minds, take the pictures and story to someone you trust (engine builder, tuner, whatever) and see what they have to say.

What's your opinion on a plug change every 3000 miles? That one is still making me weep.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
What's your opinion on a plug change every 3000 miles? That one is still making me weep.
You're asking for trouble if you don't. Hell, I take spares with me each time I go to the grocery store. Oil? Well that's changed out every four key cycles.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM

2005 E55 AMG **sold** 2005 E55 AMG Take 2
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
You're asking for trouble if you don't. Hell, I take spares with me each time I go to the grocery store. Oil? Well that's changed out every four key cycles.
Well said Carl, but I believe you left out changing your fuel filter, I change my mine every 100 miles or every Sunday, whichever comes first.

Couldn't resist...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I realize that. Thats why I stated to check the plugs/log the V12 but be less worried about the N/A V8.
I misunderstood your post. I didn't realize you were addressing my E500.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
This one is killing me. I reckon my car is now at least 21 plug changes behind schedule, and my engine hasn't blown up . . . yet.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 PM

SRT-6
Aw man! Your not pulling them and reading after every WOT run? Geez, and people wonder why they didn't see the KaBoom coming.

Les
Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To be clear he did say every other oil change...That's like 6K...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!