Sponsored by:

MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Originally Posted by emoving
I gotta be honest here, I had a long phone conversation with Jerry about the situation. I have an EC tune and while I have never had a problem with any of my tunes from them, I was a little nervous I must admit. In the past, even Alex can attest, EC usually will step up to the plate if they were 100% at fault as in the clogging of Alexs oil return causing an blown engine. Jerry told me he offered help in fixing and helping find out what caused the problem. I get nervous tunning a car no matter who the tuner is! The way I see it, the factory put millions of dollars building these engines and making sure they run as they should. So I am always a bit skeptical when messing with that. One of the reasons I choose EC was that they always seemed to fix a problem if they caused it. In this case maybe they didnt have time to fully make a judgement call. They engine is in another state and Jerry tells me they were not allowed to even touch it to see what happend. I am not preaching for EC but there are alot of people with their tunes that have never had an issue. I am still a bit skeptical, but I think there needs to be alot more information put out there for people to make an informed decission.

Call him back and ask him when did i stop anyone from touching my car...well yeah maybe he means when they sent a gentleman to inspect my car and make sure it was indeed my car he asked if he can take parts from my car for inspection (injectors, Crank sensor) He was told to bring back my injectors or have them ship to chicago..... would you have done that EMOVING? I asked them if they want we can all get together and do it.. You dont have a hard decision to make as well as everyone else with their tune..if you car is running fine why bother right?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
On a Sunday morning 8 miles away from TTM and thinking is just a blown head gasket the last thing i have in mind is to ship my car out to Chicago my friend and after calling tony and no answer then called you and you said he will be calling me shortly which i dont think he did until the next day correct me if i am wrong..In the mean time while waiting for a tow truck I Called Bruce and sure enough he was at the shop..I am freezing my nuts out there and Chicago was definitely not my option..Help could have been worked out in many different way had you guys been more interested..
I too thought it was a blown head gasket from the way you told me what happened, I would of done the same thing i didn't say not to tow to him i asked you after he looked at it to give me a call and we would go from there but when tony did call you on Monday and we talked i offered to have the car shipped here for us to look at it after you told us it was the motor and not the head gasket . I understand its a far way to ship,But you said that "we didn't get to that point" When we did and you refused.

Again Luis i am not trying say what you did i wouldn't of done with towing it to the nearest shop but you cant say we didn't offer when we did

Yes help could of be offered in different ways and what you Jerry and Tony discussed was out of my control i passed it on to the owners of the company ... I offer what i could and you said you wanted to talk to Jerry

Greg

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.ca; 03-16-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Shrek1
That is not true at all. (Most) of the time when an engine fails like this one did. Usually only one cylinder will be affected and all the others will look untouched.
no that's not true at all. you would see signs of det in the other cylinders. this really looks like either FOD or Injector issues.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM

E55 AMG
****! this is crazy! And not really making my decision on whom to use for my custom tune.

In regards to maintenance, my car is 05 model and just turned 30k miles and was due for a major service, I literally asked Mercedes to change everything that was serviceable, required or not, also when they were fitting the 82mm tb they checked the injectors and two of them were faulty, warranty picked that up and I paid for the remaining seals to be changed just in case.

I hate to think what would of happen if I had installed the tb myself and overlooked the injectors...
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Was there a shop fire involved in this?

Sorry, is it too early? Hope you get the car back on the road and address what the problem was

Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
no that's not true at all. you would see signs of det in the other cylinders. this really looks like either FOD or Injector issues.
hehe thats funny ! i'm with Shrek1 on this one. cuz he's MB certified AMG master tech

oo also because he did all the work on my car including numerous performance upgrades. trans, torque converter, intercooler, rad, and other goodies..
Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by Lopes80
****! this is crazy! And not really making my decision on whom to use for my custom tune.

In regards to maintenance, my car is 05 model and just turned 30k miles and was due for a major service, I literally asked Mercedes to change everything that was serviceable, required or not, also when they were fitting the 82mm tb they checked the injectors and two of them were faulty, warranty picked that up and I paid for the remaining seals to be changed just in case.

I hate to think what would of happen if I had installed the tb myself and overlooked the injectors...
+1 I think my injector just decided to fail that morning not a week prior while being custom Tuned, no signs of nada!!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by prodigymb
hehe thats funny ! i'm with Shrek1 on this one. cuz he's MB certified AMG master tech

oo also because he did all the work on my car including numerous performance upgrades. trans, torque converter, intercooler, rad, and other goodies..

Ok not trying to push off the knowledge of your technician but when I speak with guys that have worked for dealerships for years they all say I cant do the stuff you do, I just follow the books. So just because they work for a dealership don't mean they have all the answers, ask him so how many cars have you tuned? Does he know what the inside of the bosch me2.8 ecu looks like?

This goes both ways I dont claim because im a certified master tuner that I know everything there is to know about servicing a car.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry, a bit off topic here.... but wow: change plugs every 3k to 6k miles....
Word! That's an absolute bag of Tell that to any prof Mech/tech & prepare for "But Tony @ EC says to change SP every 3k optimally" Typical for them to blame the guy on poorly maintaining vehicle
Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Thericker
Word! That's an absolute bag of Tell that to any prof Mech/tech & prepare for "But Tony @ EC says to change SP every 3k optimally" Typical for them to blame the guy on poorly maintaining vehicle
LOL, another well educated person here (NOT) making a statement on something he has no idea what he is talking about, just because you dont like EC dont mean you have to make comments to try to make me look bad, your only making yourself look bad.

Go do your homework before you make yourself look like a complete

You can go ahead and beat the snot out of your car and thin the oil out and not change it or dont change the plugs, go right ahead. I never blamed him on poor maintenance READ WHAT I SAID if you can do that well and stop making yourself look foolish.

Just cause a car costs a certain amount from the dealer does not mean go mod the car then drive it hard all the time and keep up with the same dealership recommended maintenance there after!

So in your opinion everyone that does recommended maintenance on there car to keep it running healthy is foolish for doing so, thanks for your great advice.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
SPONSOR

Very soon I will have some very useful information on how to maintaine a vehicle after modding so everyone here may learn something. I just hope you guys will read it and then read it again to understand what goes on in a tuners mind while he is tuning a car and after that car leaves the shop. I hope everyone here has some light shined in there eyes and I hope everyone took in some helpful info out of this. Doing homework will go a long way!

Kid's don't candy from strangers and dont take bad advice from fools.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
WoW!!! I don't have to do anything to make you look bad...

Originally Posted by Tony@Eurocharged
LOL, another well educated person here (NOT) making a statement on something he has no idea what he is talking about, just because you dont like EC dont mean you have to make comments to try to make me look bad, your only making yourself look bad.

Go do your homework before you make yourself look like a complete

You can go ahead and beat the snot out of your car and thin the oil out and not change it or dont change the plugs, go right ahead. I never blamed him on poor maintenance READ WHAT I SAID if you can do that well and stop making yourself look foolish.

Just cause a car costs a certain amount from the dealer does not mean go mod the car then drive it hard all the time and keep up with the same dealership recommended maintenance there after!

So in your opinion everyone that does recommended maintenance on there car to keep it running healthy is foolish for doing so, thanks for your great advice.
Way to represent yourself/co on the forum Who said anything about NOT changing oil brainiac? I was & still am @ your Spark Plug reco change interval of 3k miles
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Ohhh wow!! We're breathless w/anticipation...

Very soon I will have some very useful information on how to maintaine a vehicle after modding so everyone here may learn something. I just hope you guys will read it and then read it again to understand what goes on in a tuners mind while he is tuning a car and after that car leaves the shop. I hope everyone here has some light shined in there eyes and I hope everyone took in some helpful info out of this. Doing homework will go a long way!

IDK how ANY of us have gotten thus far w/out your pearls of wisdom You can't even SPELL Maintain, let alone know spit about it

Last edited by Thericker; 03-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Don't buy the BS

Originally Posted by x SPY x
We disassembled the engine this evening and this is what we found!!

Based on the pictures posted my opinion on the most probable cause this motor met it's demise was quite simply Detonation--too much timing. This is and has been the conclusion of every reputable tuner that's come across these pictures as well. There are several tell tale signs of detonation (which is caused by running too much timing advance) this motor shows all of them. Hot spot in center of piston between the exhaust valves (that would've been a hole, not a shiny spot, had this motor continue to run), melted plug electrode, hell there's even a hole in the sleeve and you burnt clean through the ringland past the rings. There could literally be no more OBVIOUS answer to this question. What would be great to see? Show some pictures of the heads, the valves and more importantly the seats. Detonation has a way of beating the crap out of the seats by causing the valves to slam into them. They may even be loose to the touch after long periods of detonation. Regardless though, just based on what's been posted in this thread the cause is crystal clear. As for my background: Yes I have seen the inside of a ME2.8 (that has zero relevance to this discussion as well) however I don't tune European vehicles, just domestic using mainstream hardware as well as standalones like Big Stuff III, FAST DFI, etc. I have tuned countless positive displacement blower applications including 2v,3v,4v with Roots, TVS, and Twin Screw blowers. Most make 600rw+ some into the 4 digit range. I'm responsible for over 600 tuned motors, quite a few of them pure race, and NOT ONE has ever popped due to detonation. So yes, I'm prepared to back my statements with real world experience should it be called into question. Other things worth noting, you NEVER bend a rod due to detonation, in fact the ONLY time you'll ever bend a rod is due to hydralock or if a valve drops and there is PtV which causes a catastrophic failure to the extent that you will window the block. Even posting that as a potential reason for failure is an obvious and misleading digression. SRTs running 16:1 A/Fs ???? I don't care if they're N/A, at WOT that's just NOT acceptable. Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Anything over 12.5:1 on pump gas and you're on borrowed time with a PD blown motor. I run my PD cals in the 11.4-11.6:1 range because the extra fuel helps cool the incoming aircharge (which heats up significantly in PD applications). I cringe anytime I see a 12:1 A/F with PD without Race gas. Unlike pump gas, race gas is formulated with the same ingredients and percentages everytime, pump gas has NO set ingredient list meaning what you get from station to station varies, let alone brand to brand or state to state. For this reason alone you can get far more aggressive with race gas files, however I still won't go over 12.5:1 even on leaded (the real stuff) race fuel. For anyone to say that plug change intervals need to be 3-5k miles, you're simply dreaming. This is not a NHRA blown alcohol funny car motor--yes I've helped tear them down and build them as well between passes. Also as far as the gentlemen with the former N/A motor now supercharged and the reference made to the original file by the tuner and it being safe by comparison...You do realize he is now running as posted 10lbs of boost on top of that high compression N/A bottom end. The timing advance posted is more than I run on 50% of the N/A motors I tune. Someone's got some serious cojones to run 24 degrees of advance or more at WOT on that bottom end, especially on pump gas. INEXCUSABLE. I would not have posted however what I see this tuner doing (blaming everyone but themselves) and posting misleading information about tuning in general is just not right. It makes everyone look at the aftermarket in a different/worse light. Own up to what you've done, I'm sure you have commercial liability insurance, we all do, USE it. I have also been told (by the vehicle owners themselves) this is NOT an isolated incident and that "at least" a handful of other AMG E55 2003-2006 cars have also "LET" go in the recent past--all were tuned by the same tuner. Vehicle owners should NOT be afraid (even if threatened with false legal means) to post their truthful and honest take on what happened to their motors. We don't see this on the vette/viper/ford boards, if someone blows a motor, everyone in the world knows that day. There is no reason for secrecy in this situation either. Remember, if you post the truth, you cannot be sued. Do not be intimidated, it's your car and your right.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG

You are digging your own grave. The misinformation stops now.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Did EC offer to replace the motor
Has this been answered? It's a good question. My guess is no, given how this thread has gone... but you never know. Allegedly the OP was threatened with a lawsuit if he decided to post any of this, but I guess he decided "the hell with it" and here we are.

As for this part...
...or to do the tear down for you?
Originally Posted by Eurocharged
Luis when i first talked to you i offered to have the car shipped to us and we would tear it down you told me you already had it sent to TTM and did not want to ship the car

And we also gave you the option to have it sent to our dealer in NJ but again you declined because you already had someone looking at it

Greg
The offer from EC to ship the car (presumably on their own dime) from the east coast to Chicago is a generous one; that said, isn't it "best practices" in cases like these to hire an independent 3rd party shop to do the tear down and forensic analysis?

Taking the names out of it: conceptually, if XYZ Co. tunes your car and it suffers catestrophic engine damage shortly thereafter - do you ship it to XYZ Co. to look it over and tell you what went wrong? If (realistically... when) they come back and say "oh yeah, we figured it out and it definitely wasn't our tuning" - would you have peace of mind, or keep wondering?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Ok not trying to push off the knowledge of your technician but when I speak with guys that have worked for dealerships for years they all say I cant do the stuff you do, I just follow the books. So just because they work for a dealership don't mean they have all the answers, ask him so how many cars have you tuned? Does he know what the inside of the bosch me2.8 ecu looks like?

This goes both ways I dont claim because im a certified master tuner that I know everything there is to know about servicing a car.
You sir are NO certified master tuner. That is a fact.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Has this been answered? It's a good question. My guess is no, given how this thread has gone... but you never know. Allegedly the OP was threatened with a lawsuit if he decided to post any of this, but I guess he decided "the hell with it" and here we are.

As for this part...

The offer from EC to ship the car (presumably on their own dime) from the east coast to Chicago is a generous one; that said, isn't it "best practices" in cases like these to hire an independent 3rd party shop to do the tear down and forensic analysis?

Taking the names out of it: conceptually, if XYZ Co. tunes your car and it suffers catestrophic engine damage shortly thereafter - do you ship it to XYZ Co. to look it over and tell you what went wrong? If (realistically... when) they come back and say "oh yeah, we figured it out and it definitely wasn't our tuning" - would you have peace of mind, or keep wondering?
I agree, no chance I would ship the car to the tuner responsible for the file in the ECU after something like this happens. ZERO.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63

As for this part...

Originally Posted by MBVert
I agree, no chance I would ship the car to the tuner responsible for the file in the ECU after something like this happens. ZERO.

I do understand where your coming from you would still be wondering
But we did also offer to have another shop take a look at it and again it was denied

Also if you look in the past with the last car that something happened we went ahead and took full responsibility and replaced everything at our cost

We were also the ones who looked over the car and found out what happened . Did we keep it a secret???? NO we let everyone know what happened when it was posted on the forums and stood behind our work

On the other note it is amazing that you "MBVERT" would pick today to sign up as i never seen you on the boards and claim that Tony is not a certified tuner how would you know this ??? when you just joined today??? when he has all documentation and has been tuning for over 6 years

Why dont you tell us who you really are instead of hiding behind the new name

Greg
Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
There are plenty of lurkers who read this forum every day

But we did also offer to have another shop take a look at it and again it was denied

Also if you look in the past with the last car that something happened we went ahead and took full responsibility and replaced everything at our cost

We were also the ones who looked over the car and found out what happened . Did we keep it a secret???? NO we let everyone know what happened when it was posted on the forums and stood behind our work

On the other note it is amazing that you "MBVERT" would pick today to sign up as i never seen you on the boards and claim that Tony is not a certified tuner how would you know this ??? when you just joined today??? when he has all documentation and has been tuning for over 6 years

Greg
W/out posting for years until intrigued enough, who cares who it is? They obviously shed some much needed light on the situation @ hand...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You make a good point, and appreciate the candid discussion. However, in a case where hardware was improperly installed (even if by your former tech), and the tuning was most likely not the cause, it is clearly in your best interest to be forthcoming with all the information and data, explaining how this singular incident transpired, and how it was resolved. Existing and potential customers would shrug it off as an outlier, with few (if any) lost revenue to the firm.

In a hypothetical case where a tune (box or custom) caused engine failure, it would clearly be in any shop's interest to keep that information as close-to-the-vest as possible, for as long as possible - as way more downside risk is presented in that scenario. Not saying that's being done; just devil's advocate.

Has anyone from EC cleared up the whole "lawsuit" thing? Reading that was pretty troubling.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
This is getting r-goddamnn-diculous....

The OP went in search of MORE power, was running a BOX tune with ZERO knowledge of AFR, timing, boost or even torque. He openly raced the car with several WOT pulls to redline without ever putting the car on the dyno or doing any data-logging.

And it blew up....shocking!

I am not saying it should have blown up...just that he had NO way of knowing it wouldn't. Trying to push the limits (which he was clearly doing) and get 100 or more whp than AMG intended is risky. Usually you take precautions to avoids the risk - things like dyno time and data logging.

The only thing EC is doing wrong is handing out shelf tunes like there there as safe as dyno tuning. I am not saying a stage one box tune, with just a pulley should require a dyno, but when things get to this level a dyno should be mandatory!

And BTW....every tuner has blood on their hands. We ask for more, more, more than want to point fingers at the ones who provide it.

To the OP, I am truly sorry and good luck with everything. This sucks, believe me I know!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
This is getting r-goddamnn-diculous....

The OP went in search of MORE power, was running a BOX tune with ZERO knowledge of AFR, timing, boost or even torque. He openly raced the car with several WOT pulls to redline without ever putting the car on the dyno or doing any data-logging.

And it blew up....shocking!

I am not saying it should have blown up...just that he had NO way of knowing it wouldn't. Trying to push the limits (which he was clearly doing) and get 100 or more whp than AMG intended is risky. Usually you take precautions to avoids the risk - things like dyno time and data logging.

The only thing EC is doing wrong is handing out shelf tunes like there there as safe as dyno tuning. I am not saying a stage one box tune, with just a pulley should require a dyno, but when things get to this level a dyno should be mandatory!
Worth the wait,

It was a custom dyno tune, as mentioned in the first post:

Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
We had in mind to custom tune my car on the dyno but the holidays (Christmas, New years) made it impossible and the person that was going to perform the tune was out of the country so I went on to try another product from which i heard nothing but good things in the past, great customer service and nothing but the best service so in january i let them custom tune my car on the dyno and try and make more power over what i had (Before TB and stock exhaust 489 whp 511 wtq on dynojet) New found power 508whp 582WTQ on the mighty Mustang Dyno!!! which in dynojet is around 565-575 wheel horsepower!.....obviously happy with the Animal so i bought the product on a Sunday...

Following weekend after a rainy week i took my car out to a sunday meet on which i decided to do a couple of rolls with two modded cobras and on the first run i go up to about 130mph and Beat the car by about 4 car lengths then decided to go again to make it an even worst beating to about 145-150 mph when suddenly i see a cloud of white smoke in my rear view mirror, pulled over to side shut the car off and we all agreed head gasket since it smelled like antifreeze and most of the smoke was on the passenger side exhaust but on both..keep in mind is about 18 to 20 degrees out. 4 days later at 8:30 in the morning i receive a text msg with a picture of my motor that shows a hole in cylinder wall piston # 2 saying "you need a new motor"

And BTW....every tuner has blood on their hands. We ask for more, more, more than want to point fingers at the ones who provide it.

To the OP, I am truly sorry and good luck with everything. This sucks, believe me I know!
Agree 100% with this; clients need to carefully explain their goals, and hopefully the tuner listens. Trying for world-record track times is one thing, having a solid DD is another. They're not mutually exclusive, but close.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 03-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG

Greg

There is no need for you or anyone to know my name or shop affiliation. I'm simply here to post facts. Based on the data provided the reasoning behind the failure of this motor is clear as day. Fact: A certified master tuner wouldn't run 24+ degrees of advance at WOT with 10psi on a N/A bottom end. A certified master tuner doesn't cause motors to fail, he makes them last. A certified master tuner wouldn't bring up a broken rod as a potential problem of detonation. A certified master tuner wouldn't reference anything 16:1 A/F. I'm here to post my experience on the facts, so let's talk facts.

Last edited by MBVert; 03-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Oooops....

Worth the wait,

It was a custom dyno tune, as mentioned in the first post:
Thanks for pointing that out. Probably should have taken a breath before I posted..lol. Could have sworn it said he was waiting for the dyno on the newest tune...my bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!