Drag Day at Fontana, CA - tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Rick, I'm not sure going with the widest tire possible is beneficial with DR's. All though I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. Maybe someone else will chime in and give their thoughts. Just from what I experienced the most important thing so far has been the amount of rubber on the sidewall, the same height tire yielded better results with 16's over 18's. If you look at some of Sal's videos you could totally see the wrinkle wall on his setup as he launches, mini pro style . Ask around and form your own opinion.
Tire material, sidewall, temp, pressure, etc etc all play important roles. Not to mention all the car dynamics that come into play when launching. There are some baddddddd race cars that run on 10.5" tires and run wayyyyy faster than we could ever imagine in our benzes. N00bs like to go as wide as possible, the wider you go the heavier the tire/wheel. You want the skinniest tire that will allow you to put down the power. More/softer sidewall is very important since it allows for flex. This also helps prevent breaking parts. Haven't broken an axle yet on bias ply tires and I've been launching harder and harder
Originally Posted by Thericker
I'm new to this but learning fast... Good teachers Alan, Ahmad, Sal, Marcin, Bruce TTMS etc.. yes these tires whls are narrow 16x7 but fit perfectly w/255/50 tires, the tire shop wanted me to show what I coud do eased out n' street NO burnout just chirp bet 1-2-3 I saw the horizon rising, came back the guys were all all said they saw the frnt end nearly lift off the ground, this was @ 38-40psi in tires, ima run em @ 17-20psi @ trk...

Rotor size is the exact same dia as ALL the SL55/E55/CL55/S55, only the SL600 came standard w/AMG brake pkg calipers are same size too, only dif is rear rotor isn't cross drilled... ALL other CL600/S600 models came standard w/puny calipers/rotors from 500 models, it was an expensive option for them when ordering.

One race took place before Coils went south on way home that night, Fast n' Ferious Fart machine rolled up @ st light, all clear light hit green had my left foot on brake right foot on gas, she tore off sooo violently I pulled EZ 2 bus lengths to next light a block away. He had his lady w/him both in utter shock, "what the hells n that thar thing?" "What is it?" (tot debadged) told'em it was electric hybrid Mclaren
Is it safe to run a 255 tire on a 7" wide rim? It must bulge over the rim alot.

Edit: Just checked. Recommended wheel width is 8-10" for hoosier drag radial 255/50/16
http://www.hoosierracingtire.com/specdrag.htm

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Tire material, sidewall, temp, pressure, etc etc all play important roles. Not to mention all the car dynamics that come into play when launching. There are some baddddddd race cars that run on 10.5" tires and run wayyyyy faster than we could ever imagine in our benzes. N00bs like to go as wide as possible, the wider you go the heavier the tire/wheel. You want the skinniest tire that will allow you to put down the power. More/softer sidewall is very important since it allows for flex. This also helps prevent breaking parts. Haven't broken an axle yet on bias ply tires and I've been launching harder and harder

Is it safe to run a 255 tire on a 7" wide rim? It must bulge over the rim alot.

Edit: Just checked. Recommended wheel width is 8-10" for hoosier drag radial 255/50/16
http://www.hoosierracingtire.com/specdrag.htm
No excessive buldge look @ my pix, also Sal & multi others have run this EXACT same setup on 255/50 drag tires w/zero problems...
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Sweet, Thanks for the heads up.. I'll look into it.. About how wide are those tires.. I'm on the hunt. I have a Discount tire shop two block from my Dealership. So test fitting is no problem did you just edit? I didn't see the wheel trimming the first time.. So you are going with the widest tire that with fit that rim right? Those wheels sure do look close to you calipars.. What rotor size are u running?
Rick, if you buy a set of the CK 320 16" whls send them directly or drive them to HMS, Edison has access to machine shop around corner (they need to bore out the stk lug holes few mm, Edison will have ALL this info, & is great guy/shop to deal with)

Ahmad, no uncircumcised over hang look snuffle-free to me

Last edited by Thericker; 06-14-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
No excessive buldge look @ my pix, also Sal & multi others have run this EXACT same setup on 255/50 drag tires w/zero problems...
I'm just telling you what Hoosier says. Didn't say it can't be done, it's just not recommended. I'd rather spend the extra money and do it right

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I'm just telling you what Hoosier says. Didn't say it can't be done, it's just not recommended. I'd rather spend the extra money and do it right
What? Spend what extra $$ Sal used it to rip off 10.8x @ 127+ others have been using it on multi platforms for years w/NO failures, I've seen plenty of Manufacturers advising this or that wheel tire combo will not fit/work when indeed fits & hauls the mail

Sole reason I bought these was they weigh 13.7 lbs each, not trying to skimp on $$ If saving $$ was my only concern I'd of bought a used beat to ***** setup off forum, wheels are remanufactured look brand new, Hoosiers brand new...Bought those over MT's to save additional weight as well...

Maybe I'll try their full SLICKS next time, they are exact still a 26" tire w/slightly smaller section width yet notice rec rim width 6"-8" & ONLY WEIGH 18 LBS VS 22 LBS

Hopefully you can then sleep better @ night not worrying about my cheap azz hitting the wall for buying bargain basement wheels

17431QTP - Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T. Drag Tires Details
8.0'' Tread Width

Tire Overall Diameter: 26.1''
Average Roll Out/
Circumference: 82''
Tire Tread Width: 8.0''
Tire Section Width: 9.3''
Wheel Diameter: 16''
Required
Wheel Width: 6'' - 8''
Tire Weight: 18 lbs.

Last edited by Thericker; 06-14-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I will definitely be ready with max boost on July 14th. I don't care how hot it gets since it's going to be the same for all of us that line up.
You still think you're gonna be ready?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
You still think you're gonna be ready?
I thought real hard and I decided I could go alot faster on a bike so I'm shopping for a Desmo right now. I got into a little wreck in my 999R and hurt my back also btw, the bike's totaled.

But by Jan-Feb of 2011 when I collect my bonus and tax refund, I will take this little C car to the limit and still have enough left over for a downpayment on a used SL65 for modding in 2012.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-06-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I thought real hard and I decided I could go alot faster on a bike so I'm shopping for a Desmo right now. I got into a little wreck in my 999R and hurt my back also btw, the bike's totaled.

But by Jan-Feb of 2011 when I collect my bonus and tax refund, I will take this little C car to the limit and still have enough left over for a downpayment on a used SL65 for modding in 2012.
So when Jan-Feb of 2011 rolls around, you're going to say something along the lines of....Oh, I decided not to go through with everything I have claimed as usual and buy a ______ and blah blah blah.

No offense but don't even put out a date on anything you say. Just do it and then tell us what you've done. You have yet to come through on ANY claim that you have said thus far.

Honestly...not surprised...Good luck with your bike and takin the little C to the limit.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport

Sorry to hear you hurt your back, but that should be a reason to take a break from bikes for a little bit not get into a new one

You should try to finish all your upgrades by November/December of this year so you can join us at Famoso. We will be renting Famoso again for a BIG private event around then. We will aim for a low-temp, low-DA and low-humidity day and it will be a great opportunity to test out any new mods and see how the car is performing.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
So when Jan-Feb of 2011 rolls around, you're going to say something along the lines of....Oh, I decided not to go through with everything I have claimed as usual and buy a ______ and blah blah blah.

No offense but don't even put out a date on anything you say. Just do it and then tell us what you've done. You have yet to come through on ANY claim that you have said thus far.

Honestly...not surprised...Good luck with your bike and takin the little C to the limit.
Yeah, you are right BUT nobody including Rich at DynoComp can assure me of anything. I was ready to bring my car there last week and he basically backed down on his claims and said I would never be happy with the results and that other cars they took in where they did not do ALL the work resulted in headaches and performance issues. He almost did a 360 and said he wasn't sure he even wanted to take the risk on working on my car. So far NOBODY has promised me they could tune it for max boost and still be a comfortable daily driver. All he wanted to do was sell me his Long Tubes which I won't need unless I had more boost to take advantage of more exhaust flow.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Yeah, you are right BUT nobody including Rich at DynoComp can assure me of anything. I was ready to bring my car there last week and he basically backed down on his claims and said I would never be happy with the results and that other cars they took in where they did not do ALL the work resulted in headaches and performance issues. He almost did a 360 and said he wasn't sure he even wanted to take the risk on working on my car. So far NOBODY has promised me they could tune it for max boost and still be a comfortable daily driver.
So that being said...

Once you get money in Jan-Feb of 2011, who are you going to give the car to to complete your project? If no one is willing to work on your car now, what's to say they will work on it later? What, because you have your bonus and tax refund money to play with then? I'm not bashing, but I am truly wondering. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt many times but your decisions sometimes confuse me. I truly am wondering.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I called it. This happens every time. Well are you going to run the car the way it is? After all, you have even more mods than I do!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Yeah, you are right BUT nobody including Rich at DynoComp can assure me of anything. I was ready to bring my car there last week and he basically backed down on his claims and said I would never be happy with the results and that other cars they took in where they did not do ALL the work resulted in headaches and performance issues. He almost did a 360 and said he wasn't sure he even wanted to take the risk on working on my car. So far NOBODY has promised me they could tune it for max boost and still be a comfortable daily driver. All he wanted to do was sell me his Long Tubes which I won't need unless I had more boost to take advantage of more exhaust flow.
Honestly, Richard's response, to me, was very reasonable. The guy has a great reputation for building/modifying cars to the highest quality. When he is presented with a car that has been worked on by a million different hands with an engine that does not have a clean/clear history, he should, as a good tuner, be a little hesitant to accept such project. Furthermore, if you can't get a decent shop like DynoComp to finish this project, you will just keep spending more and more money at smaller shops until the project is ultimately abandoned.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
So that being said...

Once you get money in Jan-Feb of 2011, who are you going to give the car to to complete your project? If no one is willing to work on your car now, what's to say they will work on it later? What, because you have your bonus and tax refund money to play with then? I'm not bashing, but I am truly wondering. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt many times but your decisions sometimes confuse me. I truly am wondering.
How about your guy, Serge@Hevon? The only problem is that he relies on PC to do his tuning.

If there is anybody out there that can do this with confidence, then I would probably give it a shot now and put off the bike replacement. My back is so stiff today that I stayed home from work but the exhileration from a bike at speed can't be beat compared to being inside a cage.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
How can you even compare a street car to a bike ?? Apples and oranges....or perhaps just a diversionary tatic ?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
How about your guy, Serge@Hevon? The only problem is that he relies on PC to do his tuning.

If there is anybody out there that can do this with confidence, then I would probably give it a shot now and put off the bike replacement. My back is so stiff today that I stayed home from work but the exhileration from a bike at speed can't be beat compared to being inside a cage.
Bro following your saga has become painfull to read (no pun intended on the back/bike accident, I know pain 1st hand all to well)

What I'm getting @ is what others are pointing out, your constant updates w/HUGE promises 1/4 stats ET/Trap's adding Turbo's etc w/ZERO delivery (remember the SL65 acquisition came up & gone from you nearly 2+ yrs ago)

Sure Vadim fuked You, but to continue the update/ when no one even has/will take your car now is making this painful/to the point of laughable to read about anymore

Adding wait till you get your Bonus & Tax refund then look the *** out is really from an outsider looking in... WTF are you thinking bro
What happened to Brad/Evosport??? You posted they had agreed & taken your project on?

Maybe time to get a new hobby? RC car racing? Fly fishing?

Last edited by Thericker; 07-07-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bro following your saga has become painfull to read (no pun intended on the back/bike accident, I know pain 1st hand all to well)

What I'm getting @ is what others are pointing out, your constant updates w/HUGE promises 1/4 stats ET/Trap's adding Turbo's etc w/ZERO delivery (remember the SL65 acquisition came up & gone from you nearly 2+ yrs ago)

Sure Vadim fuked You, but to continue the update/ when no one even has/will take your car now is making this painful/to the point of laughable to read about anymore

Adding wait till you get your Bonus & Tax refund then look the *** out is really from an outsider looking in... WTF are you thinking bro

What happened to Brad/Evosport??? You posted they had agreed & taken your project on?

Maybe time to get a new hobby? RC car racing? Fly fishing?
Brad charged me alot of money just to drain the fuel lines so I lost a bit of trust. He said he had to drop the tank when it was clearly not necessary after talking to other shops. Then afterwards, my alternator crapped out and I was charged $2,400 for that and I still got a CEL for manifold pressure being high so I lost even more trust. To be honest, I don't know who to trust right now and my car is running fine even tho not at max power I set my goal on. Of course I'm not satisfied until I take this car to it's limit after all the time and money I invested in it and I want to do it before I move on to a bigger, baddder platform but I don't want to get jerked around for another year.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
How much money you got? You just want to install a crank and sc pulley?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much money you got? You just want to install a crank and sc pulley?
I know that should not cost much at all. BUT who can tune it? The engine checks out by both Brad and Rich. Compression and Leak Down were near perfect at 149-150 and leak down at 1-2% across all cyclinders.

Kleemann refused to do custom tuning for that much boost, Brad suggested using a piggy-back, fuel conditioner-FIC which I heard can be dangerous and now Rich only wants to add a few more lbs of boost coupled with Long Tubes. I didn't change my entire engine Compression ratio, larger valves, ported heads and SC plus a $5K transmission upgrade for 2 more lbs of boost. Waste of effort IMO.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
I know that should not cost much at all. BUT who can tune it? The engine checks out by both Brad and Rich. Compression and Leak Down were near perfect at 149-150 and leak down at 1-2% across all cyclinders.

Kleemann refused to do custom tuning for that much boost, Brad suggested using a piggy-back, fuel conditioner-FIC which I heard can be dangerous and now Rich only wants to add a few more lbs of boost coupled with Long Tubes. I didn't change my entire engine Compression ratio, larger valves, ported heads and SC plus a $5K transmission upgrade for 2 more lbs of boost. Waste of effort IMO.
Bro, I say go with what Rich suggest and add a few more lbs of boost coupled with long tube headers and run it like that for now. If you still can't get it to run properly then do as Brad suggest and use a piggy-back system and call it a day.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Brad charged me alot of money just to drain the fuel lines so I lost a bit of trust. He said he had to drop the tank when it was clearly not necessary after talking to other shops. Then afterwards, my alternator crapped out and I was charged $2,400 for that and I still got a CEL for manifold pressure being high so I lost even more trust. To be honest, I don't know who to trust right now and my car is running fine even tho not at max power I set my goal on. Of course I'm not satisfied until I take this car to it's limit after all the time and money I invested in it and I want to do it before I move on to a bigger, baddder platform but I don't want to get jerked around for another year.
Ahh yes now I remember you explaining that to me, sorry my bad... Tho like others said just keep your predictions/larger NOT set in stone goals under your hat so to speak, better to walk softly & carry a big stick.

I can talk to some people for you about that custom tune, NO promises... But I have (2) very capable well known expert tuners in mind, (PM me ONLY if you're serious & have $$ to do something in the immediate future, if Bonus/Tax refund is needed? Remind me after you get it.)

I'll make the phn calls. (ribbing aside I'd actually like to see you bear some fruit after ALL THIS FARKING TIME etc)

Last edited by Thericker; 07-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahh yes now I remember you explaining that to me, sorry my bad... Tho like others said just keep your predictions/larger NOT set in stone goals under your hat so to speak, better to walk softly & carry a big stick.

I can talk to some people for you about that custom tune, NO promises... But I have (2) very capable well known expert tuners in mind, (PM me ONLY if you're serious & have $$ to do something in the immediate future, if Bonus/Tax refund is needed? Remind me after you get it.)

I'll make the phn calls. (ribbing aside I'd actually like to see you bear some fruit after ALL THIS FARKING TIME etc)
Thanks bud. I had big plans and ambitions but did not realize how difficult it was to attain despite how much money you want to throw at it. It really makes no financial sense as to how much I put into a C class that is basically obsolete already.

I just hate waiting another 6 months and not knowing if the car the will run right. I also don't want to drop over $10K into this car as the retail on this car is prolly not much more than that already and I want to get into a used 12 cylinder by early next year.

I want to do this in Jan-Feb timeframe as my wifey wants me to do it with play money instead of taking it out of investments or savings. I want to replace my Duc but I think that's out of the question now.

If I sell my MV Agusta this month, I could throw that money into my last atttempt at maxing out the potential of this car. If you know somebody that can do the pulleys and tune for $3K, then I don't think I need to wait. I have the pulleys but Vadim lost my larger injectors in the fire. The fuel pump is already bigger than stock and the Kleemann fuel kit should allow for plenty of fuel so I'm not sure I need larger injectors yet.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Thanks bud. I had big plans and ambitions but did not realize how difficult it was to attain despite how much money you want to throw at it. It really makes no financial sense as to how much I put into a C class that is basically obsolete already.

I just hate waiting another 6 months and not knowing if the car the will run right. I also don't want to drop over $10K into this car as the retail on this car is prolly not much more than that already and I want to get into a used 12 cylinder by early next year.

I want to do this in Jan-Feb timeframe as my wifey wants me to do it with play money instead of taking it out of investments or savings. I want to replace my Duc but I think that's out of the question now.

If I sell my MV Agusta this month, I could throw that money into my last atttempt at maxing out the potential of this car. If you know somebody that can do the pulleys and tune for $3K, then I don't think I need to wait. I have the pulleys but Vadim lost my larger injectors in the fire. The fuel pump is already bigger than stock and the Kleemann fuel kit should allow for plenty of fuel so I'm not sure I need larger injectors yet.
Friggin' lost your injectors in phuking fire? which 1? The 1 from supposed deliquent fireworks on building or the (1) he caused under your hood on the dyno?? Vadim Hmm I'll ask...

Edit: Bad news once your name/car comes up NO ONE WILL touch it...Since you've invested far more than it's remotely worth & future options are bleak @ best I say sell fukur @ auction...

Or drive down to U.S. side of San Diego border/Mexico leave windows down & keys in ignition & walk NO run away...(you get where I'm going w/this yes? lol)

Get the SL65 mods are PROVEN/EASY/REASONABLY CHEAP vs modding Supercharger, & the bar has been raised 750-800 rwhp is REALITY w/LARGER upgraded turbo's etc...I think 1000 bhp street car should finally fill your void...

Last edited by Thericker; 07-08-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Friggin' lost your injectors in phuking fire? which 1? The 1 from supposed deliquent fireworks on building or the (1) he caused under your hood on the dyno?? Vadim Hmm I'll ask...

Edit: Bad news once your name/car comes up NO ONE WILL touch it...Since you've invested far more than it's remotely worth & future options are bleak @ best I say sell fukur @ auction...

Or drive down to U.S. side of San Diego border/Mexico leave windows down & keys in ignition & walk NO run away...(you get where I'm going w/this yes? lol)

Get the SL65 mods are PROVEN/EASY/REASONABLY CHEAP vs modding Supercharger, & the bar has been raised 750-800 rwhp is REALITY w/LARGER upgraded turbo's etc...I think 1000 bhp street car should finally fill your void...
I just hate admitting defeat. Even if I somehow get this car into Ahmad's ET neighborhood it could have been done easier and cheaper on a different platform that has more cache but some enthusiasts have spent 6 figures into a $20K platform as well as this is the addiction of modding cars. I'm afraid this C55 platform may just have an upper limit that I'm still having difficulty accepting. This is a bottomless money pit but I'm going to give it one last ditch effort as financially and economically this project lost feasibility about 2 years ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drag Day at Fontana, CA - tomorrow!