My Dyno day results on Long tubes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
My Dyno day results on Long tubes

I picked up about 50 hp over my last dyno but I am out of fuel ..Had to stop and only made 3-4 hot pulls. Man was it hot! Record heat and the weather station showed it to be "107 degree feel like heat".. Some of the guys were using ice to cool the motors and help thier numbers but I like my car tuned in real life.. Glad I did, as Jerry added 8% more fuel up top and no response. These power gains are through CATS and it is important for me to stay legal.

After testing these long tubes, I feel they are worth 60-70 RWHP over a stock exhaust system. I already had picked up 15 rwhp on taking stock cats off and adding race cats/x pipe last fall.

Second thing that could effect my numbers, is that I running stock air boxes again and my last numbers were with CF 82mm airbox. Never knew what the box was worth but it is gone now..

Third, my last dynos were done in cold weather, low humitity and IAT on the pulls were 30 degress lower!

Picked up some nice torque , even though many wrongly belive that we loose TQ with long tubes..

Whats next?? Well injectors and more tunning! My CL also has some brutal TCU torque mgt that needs to be corrected before my track times can really drop..The E55`s do not have this but I have it bad. Thinking of using a TCU code from an E55 and load it in my tcu..

Thanks to Jerry Thornton for a great tune day and Kurt Decker for use of his dyno / nice shop.. We had 6 e55`s, one c63 and one M5..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 06-05-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Running strong!

Which long tubes did you install?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Glad to hear it Brooke! That's one strong running beast you have there and I'm glad you finally got your wish. I know you've been waiting a long time for these headers and I'm glad it all paid off. Once again congrats and unbelievable gains!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Nice gains!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Glad to hear it Brooke! That's one strong running beast you have there and I'm glad you finally got your wish. I know you've been waiting a long time for these headers and I'm glad it all paid off. Once again congrats and unbelievable gains!!!!
Alan, thanks! This TCU TQ mgt has to be fixes, as it has been limiting my launch from the start now.. Sal helped me figure this out and a few test drives in Shardul`s car proved it.. I just call it launch control..

Nice gains!
Sean , thanks man

They are the Eurocharged LT`s but custom made with larger primaries and collector. I heard they are selling this larger size now..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 06-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Wow Brooke, your car's a beast!! Congrats!!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
very nice numbers,especially in those conditions

what headers were you running before and are you interested in selling your old setup?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Alan, thanks! This TCU TQ mgt has to be fixes, as it has been limiting my launch from the start now.. Sal helped me figure this out and a few test drives in Shardul`s car proved it.. I just call it launch control..

Sean , thanks man

They are the Eurocharged LT`s but custom made with larger primaries and collector. I heard they are selling this larger size now..
TQ management is a b!tch, I know the V12tt's suffered horribly w/it until Marcin came along... Hopefully he can work some magic for you 55k guys in the future (he's a very busy man w/V12tt projects, but you never know what future may hold)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Great gains!!!
Any word from Jerry if TCU tunes are in EC's future?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
wish i was able to join you guys. next time for sure. maybe in the cooler winter months.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Excellent numbers man, gains throughout the power-band.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Killer numbers! Now to get the beast to the track!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Nice numbers!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Pulling those numbers in that heat is a remarkable accomplishment.
Congrats on a super-strong car.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Chevy Camaro
Brooke - nice gains - looks like your always finding the limitations of your car. Now your on to fuel and air intake.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Bicycle
Nice gains! Those headers look and perform amazing! I really would love to have Long tubes for my car! By chance do you know how your mods compare to Hadilaw's car? I noticed he mad 10 less HP and 2 less tq. I know he has a 185 but did he get LT for his?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Wow, awesome gains/numbers!!! I reallllllyyyy need to switch to a steering rack and get some long tubes. You guys pick up some great power!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Great gains!!!
Any word from Jerry if TCU tunes are in EC's future?
Do not know about any TCU work from EC.

Nice gains! Those headers look and perform amazing! I really would love to have Long tubes for my car! By chance do you know how your mods compare to Hadilaw's car? I noticed he mad 10 less HP and 2 less tq. I know he has a 185 but did he get LT for his?
Our mods are simulair but still different.. He has no cats, kleeman mid tubes and a CF airbox. He also dynoed his car different than me on the numbers you listed. I was there to tune and not got for the best number I could get. I stopped after I saw that I was not getting enough fuel to feed the power the headers wanted to add.. Others on the board are also running low on fuel in this HP range.. I just post the information I have based on average pulls. Doing battery re-sets on the dyno or lot of ice will easilly make a 15HP difference...If you want small primaries and mid tube headers, then by all means go out and get them! That is what forums are all about, sort through the stories and build your car!

Hadi Law car is real strong but he is the one to ask about his car..

Oh yeah, he also had the double bag ice mod.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM

'05 E55 AMG
Great numbers in less than ideal conditions! Any chance for some sound clips?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Bicycle
Thanks for the info, I Fully understand the Fuel issue and am working on mine, You may want to check your fuel pressure under load, if your car is like mine its not a issue with the injector as much as its a dropping fuel pressure. My base pressure is 77-80 and is down to 55-60 by 6200.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
My base pressure is 77-80 and is down to 55-60 by 6200.
Thats cause your injectors are spraying harder at higher rpm's, thus the decrease in fuel pressure.

Problem with maxing out and swapping injectors is that your entire file will need to be re-mapped.
Thats the one mod that I dreaded the most because it took forever to get it dialed back in correctly.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM

So did Hadilaw have kleeman headers and his dyno showed about 10 less HP?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Thats cause your injectors are spraying harder at higher rpm's, thus the decrease in fuel pressure.

Problem with maxing out and swapping injectors is that your entire file will need to be re-mapped.
Thats the one mod that I dreaded the most because it took forever to get it dialed back in correctly.
I agree, thats why i'm going with a bigger pump to maintane pressure at high rmps, I think it should be an easier tune with a constant 80psi instaed of having larger injecter and dropping fuel pressure. I'm just guessing here and it all a work in progress. As it sits the injectors are maxed out around 5k to 6600. It still maintaines a fair afr with the water meth on but with out it gets into the 13.'s
Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Do not know about any TCU work from EC.

Our mods are simulair but still different.. He has no cats, kleeman mid tubes and a CF airbox. He also dynoed his car different than me on the numbers you listed. I was there to tune and not got for the best number I could get. I stopped after I saw that I was not getting enough fuel to feed the power the headers wanted to add.. Others on the board are also running low on fuel in this HP range.. I just post the information I have based on average pulls. Doing battery re-sets on the dyno or lot of ice will easilly make a 15HP difference...If you want small primaries and mid tube headers, then by all means go out and get them! That is what forums are all about, sort through the stories and build your car!

Hadi Law car is real strong but he is the one to ask about his car..

Oh yeah, he also had the double bag ice mod.
This is very true Brooke. I'm running right on the border of running out of fuel but I think my 2.5" tubes are saving me from going over the top. There are several cars now in that same hp range running into the same issues. I was honestly thinking of going with 2.75" tubes as you know but the cost is really starting to add up. I just need to except my car and be happy with the performance I've been blessed with.

What are your plans to fix the problem? Pat over at PTE suggested having the injectors clean, calibrated, and increase the the flow. This is by far the cheapest and IMO will resolve some of our issues. Just a thought and good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by bassn_07
This is very true Brooke. I'm running right on the border of running out of fuel but I think my 2.5" tubes are saving me from going over the top. There are several cars now in that same hp range running into the same issues. I was honestly thinking of going with 2.75" tubes as you know but the cost is really starting to add up. I just need to except my car and be happy with the performance I've been blessed with.

What are your plans to fix the problem? Pat over at PTE suggested having the injectors clean, calibrated, and increase the the flow. This is by far the cheapest and IMO will resolve some of our issues. Just a thought and good luck!
Alan, I was concerned the large exh. flow and 185 would put me on the line. My car is still safe on the load bearing dyno but under a wind load at 125mph on a cold day, doubt it.Also, do not want to run at or near max pulse width... I let off, on the couple runs at 5900 to 6000 (see dyno) rpm, as I could hear the engine starting to air out up top. Jerry was using a knock sensor (hooked to motor) with head set, to listen and all is good on knock. I did not want to tie up the dyno, so just pulled it off until I can test fuel out ... Could I have cooled the motor and went for a glory 570 plus run, sure but to much work in the car to do any chest pounding..

Ok, back to your question.. Fuel is tricky and you have to figure out if it is pump, line size, line restriction area, dirty parts, injectors or all the above.. Going to change fuel filter and then check fuel PSI. Injectors do not cost that much , if you don`t buy the SLR. Off the shelf injectors are in the 300 range, unless I am missing something. I am also looking at the kenny bell boost a pump but would prefer to get buy with injectors.. 48lb injectors seem to be the range I am looking for, maybe even 45lb..

I was hoping someone would chime in , that has done all this on our car already???????

Right now, I could give back some HP and fix this frickin CL Torque managment; then still ET a lot quicker.. My TQ mgt, is limiting my car from anything over a 1.72 -1.74 sixty.. More power helps on rolls but not helping much at the track.. Even with TCU off, I can hardly spin the tires in the water box...lol

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 06-06-2010 at 07:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Dyno day results on Long tubes