W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS-V

Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63
Originally Posted by mugatu22
The only thing worse than GM service is GM sales. They think the CTS-V is a Bentley, and treat their customers like dirt. I've owned enough GM vehicles to know the service sucks. Only recently have I discovered how bad GM sales is, and it's pooooor.
On the sales end, I found our local Cadillac dealer about equal with the MB dealer. They were both more knowledgeable about their product than I expected. And I was allowed to beat up on both cars equally. In fact, the Caddy sales guy even suggested we go on the freeway to "really open it up"... which, of course, I did. Service, on the other hand, SUCKS at my MB dealer. My dad has had a great service experience with his '09 CTS, but then it's only been back for an oil change. It's had NO warranty issues whatsoever. Of course, it's not a -V.

Originally Posted by 06E55
Let's not confuse problems with service technicians with vehicle problems. They are totally separate issues and can happen no matter what vehicle brand you own.
Absolutely correct. And if my car had been "trouble-free", as the OP said of his car, then I would never have had the "pleasure", if you will, to experience that service first-hand.

I have an 06 E55 and have NONE of these "huge gaps" in the interior that you refer to... I have ridden in several other E55s/E63s and haven't seen this in these either, nor most other MBs I have ridden in/driven.
How's this for a gap:

Here's how it should be:

And this one's on the outside, both sides:

The adaptive driving thing you refer to can be easily fixed (search for "sneaky ECU reset really works" [or something along those lines]), and as people suggest, it really does work! I do this once a week and my vehicle turns me on every time I drive it and punch it!
Sure, I can do that. But after 10 min of sedate driving, it's right back to lazy shifting. A quick small stab at the gas should wake it up enough to downshift once, to shoot into a hole in traffic. If I go deeper, all heck breaks loose, as it should, but you can't really do that in heavy traffic. This is just an annoyance, but a $99K car shouldn't do that. Especially when the GM trans works better.

I have the pano roof creeks in my 06, but almost EVERY vehicle I have ever driven that has a normal-sized sunroof (let alone the size of the sunroof on this vehicle) has these creeks.
The OP had complained about that on his -V, and I simply said the W211's also do it.

Personally, I did NOT like the feel of the steering in the CTS-V... The Vette is much better than the E, but it is a sports car... The E isn't! As far as the Recaro's... They are OK. I love my dynamic seats.
The CTS-V has better steering feel than the current Corvette. It's accurate and communicative. The Vette's is accurate, but not communicative. And what do you mean, the E63 isn't a sports car? What the heck is it then? A modern-day '66 GTO, straight-line tire burner? ANY sporting car should have excellent steering, no matter how many doors it has.

I don't have the active seats in my E, so I can't comment on that. To me, the Recaros and the standard AMG seats are about equal.

Also, service can be what you make of it. Personally, I do all of the normal service required for my E55 (oil change, transmission flush, serpentine/supercharge belt changes, brakes, differential flush, etc.) myself rather than letting my dealership touch my car... I know it is done right and I get the satisfaction of working on my car myself (I have always enjoyed working on cars ever since I helped change the oil on my dad's F150 when I was a little tike...)...
I keep my car looking like new inside and out (including my engine compartment and underneath of my vehicle). I lubricate everything and inspect everything on a regular basis. I usually things before they become problems...
As do I, and for the same reasons.

Look, I didn't intend to bash the W211 '63. All I tried to do was point out to the OP that these things are not "trouble free". His problems with his -V are obviously much worse than anything I've had trouble with on my E63.

My other point was that in the 2nd and 3rd model year of the W211 ('02-'04), which is where the current CTS is, those early W211's had plenty of service bulletins and warranty issues. And certainly contributed to ADAC (German AAA), calling MB 2nd-most unreliable car in the early 2000's. Only VW was worse, at very last place. That was 8 years ago, and some of the details of who did the rating are fuzzy now, but I'm fairly certain that's correct. That's just one of those factoids that sticks in your brain. My mother had a '99 Passat up until last year and that was easily the WORST car our family has ever owned, from a reliability standpoint, and caused me to have serious doubts about buying my E63.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'm curious why did you buy one if you had "serious doubts." I'm sincerely curious (personally, I would never buy a car I had any doubts about, especially "serious" ones.)

I would like to say that the E63 is NOT a sports car. It's not even a "sporting car" (not sure what that means) nor is it a GT car. AMG calls it their "business class" AMG sedan. In the book about AMG's history (Under the Stars) they categorize all the AMG models. E Class isn't under "sport" anything. It's a sedan with a big motor and a few tweaks here and there.

edit: The book is called, "AMG:Reaching for the Stars" (not 'under the stars'); I just pulled it off my bookshelf to take a look. Great book, btw, with excellent pics and history.

Last edited by 220S; 06-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by NCE500
In re-reading this thread, TMC's comments sound just like mine at a couple of months into the 09 CTS-V. While I've owned my share of high end "project cars" and recognize that one needs patience to fully sort out problems with a car, I was done with the CTS-V after 11 months as per my comments above. That was a record for me.

I'm not keen to bash competitor's cars, only to state my real world experiences, but I'd be interested to hear TMC's input at the 12 month mark on his CTS-V.
The funny thing is that my wife has dibs on the CTS-V when I get "tired" of it. My wife currently has an '09 Pontiac G8 GT which we have had for 1 year. That car has had zero...absolutely no problems/issues (I just knocked on wood). The fit is really...really good....the finish not so much. they cut some corners with the quality of materials, but you can't expect high end materials in a car that we got new for about $30K. The G8 GT has pretty decent handling and performance. I was so impressed with GM's (or should I say Holden Australia's) effort in the G8 that it was the catalyst to opening up the possibility of getting the CTS-V. With typical GM logic, Pontiac G8 production was killed here in the US. The G8 GT was quite possibly their best built car for the money...

Tom

Last edited by TMC M5; 06-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM

2005 Silver E55
I too looked at the G8 GT before I got the EVO X , but it wasnt out yet and every dealer was trying to add 2K to the price. wit all options. The sad part is it does look like a great car for 30K. to bad they dumped it. Another great GM move. Who runs that company. I have seen some nice modded version put down good numbers. I even thought about finding me a nice well cared for unit , but for 30K plus the E55 was a much better buy . I am thankful a friend decided to sell his or I would have missed out. I hope the New TT model comes out soon. I would like to swap out in 3 years and the TT AMG may be the next great buy.

Originally Posted by TMC M5
The funny thing is that my wife has dibs on the CTS-V when I get "tired" of it. My wife currently has an '09 Pontiac G8 GT which we have had for 1 year. That car has had zero...absolutely no problems/issues (I just knocked on wood). The fit is really...really good....the finish not so much. they cut some corners with the quality of materials, but you can't expect high end materials in a car that we got new for about $30K. The G8 GT has pretty decent handling and performance. I was so impressed with GM's (or should I say Holden Australia's) effort in the G8 that it was the catalyst to opening up the possibility of getting the CTS-V. With typical GM logic, Pontiac G8 production was killed here in the US. The G8 GT was quite possibly their best built car for the money...

Tom
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
C.H.E.V.R.O.L.E.T.
Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time
C.A.D.I.L.L.A.C
Crazy And Demented Idiots Like Large American Cars

that is all I have to say about that.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I almost bought a new G8GT, it is a nice car. Quick and nimble, plus you can add a $10k Eaton blower kit and the thing is knocking on 500hp. This is further highlighted by the fact that they were giving DEEP discounts on leftover models last year...like $26k OTD for a GT.

In the end it was the lack luster interior and the positively abysmal GM dealership experience that kept me from pulling the trigger.

And lets not confuse things, the G8 is a re-badged Holden...period. The smartest thing GM did was decide to import it. The worst thing they did was kill it.

Last edited by Worth the wait; 06-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
Another vote for almost bought a G8.

really nice package for the money, hell it only costs a bit more than a Camry or accord!

and again, only GM, in it's infinite wisdom, would cancel such a car.....
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM

E63
Originally Posted by 220S
I'm curious why did you buy one if you had "serious doubts." I'm sincerely curious (personally, I would never buy a car I had any doubts about, especially "serious" ones.)

I would like to say that the E63 is NOT a sports car. It's not even a "sporting car" (not sure what that means) nor is it a GT car. AMG calls it their "business class" AMG sedan.
I'm not doubt-free about ANY car out there... but for me, the E63 is overall the best combination of all traits I want in a car. And my 2009 was the last year of the W211, and probably has the best chance of having the bugs worked out of it by now. All the reliability surveys seem to say MB's are pretty good these days. Those same surveys did NOT say that about the early-2000 MB's. The CTS-V came in 2nd on my list of most-desirable cars.

And if it's NOT a sports/sporting car, then why the stiff suspension, big seat bolsters, heavier and quicker-than-non-AMG steering, huge brakes, big anti-sway bars... I'd HATE to be chauffeured around in a car as stiffly sprung as this. This car is for DRIVING in a very, ahh, spirited manner, especially non-straight roads... and that, my friend, is the definition of a sports car. How old is that book you're quoting from? That's what AMG's USED to be... a long time ago.

Originally Posted by vegas55amg
Another vote for almost bought a G8.

really nice package for the money, hell it only costs a bit more than a Camry or accord!

and again, only GM, in it's infinite wisdom, would cancel such a car.....
Exactly. I almost bought one too, but got tired of the "Japanese video game" exterior styling that Pontiac was still doing at the end.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by hgerhardt

And if it's NOT a sports/sporting car, then why the stiff suspension, big seat bolsters, heavier and quicker-than-non-AMG steering, huge brakes, big anti-sway bars... I'd HATE to be chauffeured around in a car as stiffly sprung as this. This car is for DRIVING in a very, ahh, spirited manner, especially non-straight roads... and that, my friend, is the definition of a sports car. How old is that book you're quoting from? That's what AMG's USED to be... a long time ago.
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. are sports cars. The AMGs, -Vs, SVTs, etc. are vehicles that have a "sporting" edge to them. This is different than a sports car! I surely would not want to drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. as a daily driver. That is what the AMGs are meant to be. A luxury vehicle with a sporty side to them. Sure, my E55 can beat a Ferrari F430 off the line; it still doesn't make it a sports car...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hgerhardt
Stiffly sprung? Seriously? You have to be joking! It rides on a pneumatic suspension, as in 'air.'

This car built for the twisties? Man, I'm sorry but you must have never driven an actual sports car in your life. You want stiff suspension? I'll give you a ride in my Porsche. Your bones will snap.

The E63 (and yes I have a 2009) is a marshmallow. It's a couch on wheels. But a nice fast comfortable couch.

Sorry grandpa, but I'm calling you clueless on this one.

The book? It's new. Why do you think the E63 is even listed in it?

Last edited by 220S; 06-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

2005 Silver E55
I would call the E55 or E63 a sporty Sedan , but never a sports car. I have to many real sports car. Vette, EVO , Shelby Cobra, 300ZX. not to sound old but its nice to see so much power and performance in something you can really drive , use and carry passengers in thats fun to drive everyday. I do like the Idea of Business car. serious business.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fwiw, the dictionary of automobiles:

Sports car models

A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular production cars, such as sport compacts and sports sedans are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes.

A sports car does not require a large, powerful engine, though many do have them. Many classic British sports cars lacked powerful engines, but were known for exceptional handling due to light weight, a well-engineered, balanced chassis, and a modern suspension. On tight, twisting roads, such a sports car can perform more effectively than a heavier, more powerful car.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Originally Posted by 220S
There's a member here (shchow) who was shopping the W212 E63 a while back. But it looks like he picked up a 2010 CTS-V instead. Be interesting to hear his take on it. He also has a 2008 M5.
Yes, I picked up a 2010 CTS-V about 6 weeks ago.
Just got through my break-in miles and starting to open her up.
There were several reasons I chose the Caddy over the w212 E63. At the time, MB stopped production of the 2010 E63, so I couldn't order my car, and I had a deadline to pick up a new car.
Also, the uncertainty of the economy for 2011 made the Caddy seem like a no-brainer.
Some observations...
The CTS-V is a monster. The steering feel is not as crisp as the E63 or the M5, but it is a beast nontheless.
Build quality is not on par with the Europeans, no question. I've already got 2 paint chips in areas that shouldn't happen. But I find the interior layout better than the M5, which was rather spartan.
The M5 just feels much more "high strung" and a livelier, smaller car.
The CTS-V feels like a bigger car.
The Caddy definitely gets more attention/looks than my M5.

Overall, I am pleased with the Caddy. I have a smile everytime I get behind the wheel, so I can't really complain.
Maybe next time I'll try something Italian...
It's great to be able to experience these great cars first-hand...
Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikeevo
I went looking and the cheapest I could find on a lot, was closer to $78,000 with a few options. maybe I can order a bare bones but I dont see that kinda of money in this car. if you really could get one at low$ 60,000 out the door then I can see arguing for this a great bang for the buck. but I cannot see that happening.
I don't know where you are looking, but the CTS-V fully loaded with every option is around 70k.
I ordered/built mine (not one sitting on the lot) with essentially every single option and paid 65k for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by shchow
I don't know where you are looking, but the CTS-V fully loaded with every option is around 70k.
I ordered/built mine (not one sitting on the lot) with essentially every single option and paid 65k for it.
I paid $66k I think back in April of '09 on one with every option. You can get some very heavy discounts now. I also hear about 0% financing and some attractive leases.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Wow you guys got raped. I paid 55k.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by way2evil
Brand new?

Tom
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Brand new?

Tom
Yep. It was invoice minus all the rebates.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM

S63 / CLS63
if you guys are on cadillacforums.com - plenty guys are paying $55k-60k fully loaded
Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Wow, great deal!
Did you pick up an existing car or did you build it out?
I have this bias against locating existing cars/taking one on the lot.
Don't know how it was treated/abused during customer testing, and the build date may have been from quite awhile ago.
Usually I'd like to custom order the car. Got mine in about 6 weeks from time of order...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I use to own 3 Ford and one Chevy and they all junk! Quality haven't change much to this day.
Hold on there buddy, FORD is light years ahead of Chevy in terms of plushness and making sound cars. One of the best sports cars ever made in terms of cheap bolt on power and reliability comes from FORD, namely the 03/04 cobras.

They are only a few cars in modern history that have got iconic status, the SUPRA always comes to mind and now you can honestly start saying the 03/04 cobra's nicked named the terminators. There are tons of 700rwhp and up lurking the streets.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM

MB
Dayum! It must be a regional thing where demand plays with the pricing Here in SoCal dealers are always hiking up the stickers of performance models with their "Dealership price adjustments"
Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by shchow
Wow, great deal!
Did you pick up an existing car or did you build it out?
I have this bias against locating existing cars/taking one on the lot.
Don't know how it was treated/abused during customer testing, and the build date may have been from quite awhile ago.
Usually I'd like to custom order the car. Got mine in about 6 weeks from time of order...
I bought it off the dealer lot. I dont get why people are so worried about taking one off the lot. It only had 7 miles on the clock. So what is the worst that could have been done to the car in 7 miles?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 PM

2005 Silver E55
78,000 was out the door cost last year. I did hear about the discount but I wasnt pushing hard to buy it just wanted to know my cost. it had the usual dealer BS. paint protection, interior guard, dent free crap. but was real close to 78K. glad here you can get one for 55K. I think its a much better buy for that price.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by mikeevo
78,000 was out the door cost last year. I did hear about the discount but I wasnt pushing hard to buy it just wanted to know my cost. it had the usual dealer BS. paint protection, interior guard, dent free crap. but was real close to 78K. glad here you can get one for 55K. I think its a much better buy for that price.
The highest sticker for a V is 70k.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CTS-V