W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the thread by Max H about gutting the muffler ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Where is the thread by Max H about gutting the muffler ??

Has do it yourself pictures and info ?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Has do it yourself pictures and info ?

Here's the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...cs-inside.html

If you're thinking about doing it and not planning on changing anything else in the exhaust, don't bother. With everything else stock it makes absolutely 0 difference and is a complete waste of time(plus you'll itch for a week from all the fiberglass). I completely gutted mine, u-bend and everything, and the only difference is a slightly bassier tone at idle if you're standing right behind the car. Under acceleration it's not louder at all. I know others with exhaust mods have done it with varying results, but IMHO not worth it.

Also, make sure you have a plasma cutter or torch to cut out the u-bends and steel packing, or you''ll be wrestling with it for a very long time.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the response.
I was thinking the difference would be more pronounced on the 63 N.A. motor than the 55 (my friends actual intentions), but I may be wrong.....
Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
I thought stock for stock the 63 had a much more aggressive tone and sound?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The 63 is a high compression engine and has an awesome tone to it. ABSOLUTELY different beast than the 55k (or any forced really).

I never gutted my mufflers because there was no power to be gained (and yes we tried straight pipes) and I always preferred sleeper on the E. But, when it had straight pipes, replacing the resinators back (basically mufflers) it definitely sounded nice and different. Not as much in the cabin but you could hear it when passing along a highway wall.

Back on topic for the 63, make sure you are looking for the roar. If not, they really do sound pretty nice with a simple cut out of the resonator. But, if you want more, your mufflers can also be gutted. I would try just cutting the top and pulling fiberglass only and seeing if that is enough. I worry that fully gutted will sound a bit like a cherry bomb since the 63 mufflers are a different shape than the 55k ones.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
The 63 is a high compression engine and has an awesome tone to it. ABSOLUTELY different beast than the 55k (or any forced really).

I never gutted my mufflers because there was no power to be gained (and yes we tried straight pipes) and I always preferred sleeper on the E. But, when it had straight pipes, replacing the resinators back (basically mufflers) it definitely sounded nice and different. Not as much in the cabin but you could hear it when passing along a highway wall.

Back on topic for the 63, make sure you are looking for the roar. If not, they really do sound pretty nice with a simple cut out of the resonator. But, if you want more, your mufflers can also be gutted. I would try just cutting the top and pulling fiberglass only and seeing if that is enough. I worry that fully gutted will sound a bit like a cherry bomb since the 63 mufflers are a different shape than the 55k ones.
+1 on everything said here. The resonator make the biggest difference on the 63s.... in fact, some people found them too loud without the resonator so you may want to check YouTube for sample videos with no resonator to gauge a sample of what it may sound like.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks gents.
My friend wants to do this to his 63 that actually has factory 55 mufflers (more sound deadening material, less flow).....long story....

So do you think that GUTTED 55 mufflers would probably be similar to STOCK 63 mufflers ?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Camaro
What I have been doing on G8 to cut noise and drone has been installing a magnaflow 12468 mid muffler with internal x-pipe. on a 510rwhp G8 showed no power loss on the dyno.

Not sure if it will fit on any AMG but for those running gutted mufflers or straight pipes would be a good option to help quite down the exhaust without costing you any power.