Sponsored by:

Can I dramatically improve handling???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2006 Lexus 460L
Can I dramatically improve handling???

Long story short, I chased a Maserati Quattroporte for a couple of miles last week through some hilly roads on my way to the golf course. Although I would call it a tie, I was simply disappointed the way my E63 handled through the twists and turns. I know we didn't buy our AMGs for this purpose, but am still upset that I couldn't gain ground on a car that weighed the same as mine, and has "only" 430/440 horses (not sure which version the Maser was). So asking for all your help on any recommendations for a good set-up to improve the car's handling, or what aftermarket goodies I can buy to achieve that purpose. Or....should I just forget it and stop racing people on windy roads??? Thanks.

P.S. My car is currently stock, European version, no performance package.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Next time use your Boxster. Despite the hp difference you'd still outrun the Maser.

The E Class are comfort cars with an emphasis on comfort. Airmatic's great for smoothing out any road surface you throw at it, but a car for the twisties it's really not.

On the other hand you can push these cars beyond that initial feeling of not sticking to the road and still stay on the road. With some good performance tires (PS2s work well with this chassis), the tranny in M, and heavy braking (brakes work nice with not a lot of fade), you can do okay. I've kept up with many better handling cars in the canyons. With the good brakes and in the correct gear for max torque, you can get the brake on before the corners just fine and pull out pretty quickly (although it's a bit slower transitioning from the brakes to throttle with a MB auto tranny, and the throttle pedal itself is a bit mushy.) But there's not a lot you can do with the air suspension.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 AM

2006 E63 AMG
I've also found the E63 responds well to, shall we say, assertive steering inputs. If you ease the car into turns I find you don't get as much front end bite compared to a more rapid increase in the application of steering angle.

I think what may be happening here is that the self-levelling character of the Airmatic stops the outer front tyre from loading when you ease it in, a more rapid transition allows for more weight transfer and a sharper steering feel. Without being aggressive in your driving, I think the E63 just goes better when you muscle it around a bit.

Interestingly I found a similar response with my RS6 - the DRC had the same effect of moderating weight transfer - it definitely cornered better with assertive turn in. Ironically race car suspension is often set up to give more apparent dive than you might think - to achieve the necessary tyre loadings.

For its size and comfort I think the E63 does a pretty damn good job of handling. Go back and find the Maserati and have another go!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Dramatically improve handling?

I would say no unless you prepared to gut the car.... and go to town on the suspension.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
my car is dropped and i have a nice set of 285's on the rear and the car handles incredible .
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wrong series for something like that. New W212 would have been fun to try. Leaps and bounds ahead of our poor W211s. Guess we will just have to settle for mind bending straight line acceleration.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
My test track is the Nordschleife (about an hour away). Here are a few items I have found to be quite helpful:

1. Evosport light weight brake rotors. Saves almost 40 lbs of unsprung weight not to mention the reduction of 40 lbs of rotational mass which is the equivalent to an increase in HP (Can't measure it on a dyno, but it is substantial).

2. Adjustable toe links (Several good brands available)

3. K-MAC bushings. Stiffens everything up.

4. LSD

5. RENNTECH lowering module (Nice to have full ride height control at your finger tips for a lower CG).

Don't kid yourself, these cars properly set up (even with Airmatic) with good tires (Toyo Proxes work well) will approach 1G on a skid pad.

Last edited by AgSilver; 10-19-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by AgSilver
My test track is the Nordschleife (about an hour away). Here are a few items I have found to be quite helpful:

1. Evosport light weight brake rotors. Saves almost 40 lbs of unsprung weight not to mention the reduction of 40 lbs of rotational mass which is the equivalent to an increase in HP (Can't measure it on a dyno, but it is substantial).

2. Adjustable toe links (Several good brands available)

3. K-MAC bushings. Stiffens everything up.

4. LSD

5. RENNTECH lowering module (Nice to have full ride height control at your finger tips for a lower CG).

Don't kid yourself, these cars properly set up (even with Airmatic) with good tires (Toyo Proxes work well) will approach 1G on a skid pad.
i have the evosport rotors on the car as well and they are A+
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
work getting wider rims up front..

maybe 9ich by 9.5 with the correct offset will help.

this car give you alot of understeer, so you want to offset it...

The w212 they increased the front width by inches I believe... and they ditch the air matic for the front suspension.

The best way to improve handling.. E90 M5. Good luck with the SMG3
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by TopGun32
work getting wider rims up front..

maybe 9ich by 9.5 with the correct offset will help.

this car give you alot of understeer, so you want to offset it...

The w212 they increased the front width by inches I believe... and they ditch the air matic for the front suspension.

The best way to improve handling.. E90 M5. Good luck with the SMG3
Increasing the front camber to about 1.5 deg neg really helps and with the power available it gets fairly neutral. However, not so good for day to day street use regarding tire wear. It's a real point-and-squirt driving style. With fair handling, great power and great brakes, you can accomplish a lot on a suitable circuit.

Best way to improve handling - - - Porsche 914-6 - - - still the the best if properly set up.

"Simplify and add lightness"
Colin Chapman
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by jinsan163
Long story short, I chased a Maserati Quattroporte for a couple of miles last week through some hilly roads on my way to the golf course. Although I would call it a tie, I was simply disappointed the way my E63 handled through the twists and turns. I know we didn't buy our AMGs for this purpose, but am still upset that I couldn't gain ground on a car that weighed the same as mine, and has "only" 430/440 horses (not sure which version the Maser was). So asking for all your help on any recommendations for a good set-up to improve the car's handling, or what aftermarket goodies I can buy to achieve that purpose. Or....should I just forget it and stop racing people on windy roads??? Thanks.

P.S. My car is currently stock, European version, no performance package.
Hey there,

The first thing you need to do is lower the CG. A lowering module would help this. Simply lowering the car an inch or so will help. Next I would stabilize the rear with our evosport toe-links. Our links reduce the toe change upon acceleration, deceleration and coming in and out of turns. Lastly I would have a performance alignment done. The front could use some toe-out to induce quicker and more stable turn in and the rear can take a little more toe-in for stability.
Hope this helps

Dale
Old 10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
You'll be suprise at how well the car handle with some sticky tires and lowered.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
You'll be suprise at how well the car handle with some sticky tires and lowered.
Absolutely, tires are a huge contributor to overall grip and lowering the CG is paramount

Dale
Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Certainly tires helps a ton.

My P30 has 40-50% higher spring rates which knocks down roll a lot and the LSD digs out of the corners. However, the W212 has wider tires and the 2" wider front track with a true coil over suspension. W211 can not keep up.

I have done a 0.95g in a turn according to my PBOX, and 1.1G with some banking. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asmymetrics.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM

94 Supra 04 E55
R compound tires for the street... best bang for the buck if you want to improve handling.

At my local track Road Atlanta. I went 1:48's in a stock e46 m3 . Did no changes to the car other than some Toyo Ra1's on a spare set of wheels and went 1:43's.

Just have to be careful in rain
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Here is a write up I did on another forum that will help:

When improving the handling of a car, you need to focus on 3 primary areas (there are more, but this is a good rule of thumb for a general discussion).

1. Reduce Weight: You want to reduce unsprung weight as your first priority (wheels, rotors, tires, etc) as this will have a 4 to 1 impact (ie: saving 1lb on a wheel is like taking 4 lbs off of the chassis, thereby, saving 7lbs per rotor with evosport ones is like taking 112lbs off of the "sprung" chassis).

Methods to reduce unsprung weight:
  • Lightweight Wheels
  • Lighter Rotors
  • Lighter Tires
  • Lighter Suspension/Springs

Methods to reduce sprung weight:
  • Lightweight body panels, the roof being the biggest improvement as it is farthest from the ground
  • Lightweight seats
  • Removing unused interior panels
  • Etc. etc. etc.

2. Improve Mechanical Grip: While it is true that the lighter the car, the better it will grip generally, you want to maximize your mechanical grip as much as practical for a street car (ie: too stiff or low might be ideal for a RACE car, but miserable on the street)
  • Suspension Improvement: get the best matched shock/spring you can, I recommend H&R coil-overs as I find them the absolute best compromise for this car. I know many recommend KW, but I have never been a fan, YMMV.
  • Better Tires: going to a stickier tire, like a DOT-R will help tremendously
  • Alignment: correctly adjusting the alignment specs to maximize grip (warning: this may cause premature tire wear)
  • Stiffen the chassis: roll bars, cages, strut braces (non-hinged), etc.

2. Improve Aero Grip: Improving the downforce of the car will help, but only with medium to fast turns
  • Front Splitter/Rear Wing that are balanced
  • Reducing drag: not super practical on a street car, but things like the wing mirrors are not helping!

Let me know if there are any questions, hope this helps!

thanks
brad
Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
That's all fine but you're always going to be stuck with the base geometry of the car's chassis design. Bottom line is if you want a car for road handling, then buy one that's designed that way from the beginning. The W211 (the chassis in question here) is primarily a comfort car and not a super handling car. You can only go so far without redesigning the whole thing. There's a limit to that economically. It can be cheaper (and better) to just choose a different car.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
That's all fine but you're always going to be stuck with the base geometry of the car's chassis design. Bottom line is if you want a car for road handling, then buy one that's designed that way from the beginning. The W211 (the chassis in question here) is primarily a comfort car and not a super handling car. You can only go so far without redesigning the whole thing. There's a limit to that economically. It can be cheaper (and better) to just choose a different car.
+1... many people tend to try and convert the wrong car into the wrong type. Our car is meant for comfort and speed in a straight line. It has a little bit of handling capabilities but nothing compared to a true sports car.

I still like to enjoy the W211 on a twisty track every now and then though
Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
The OP did not say he wanted a race car, he said he wanted to slightly improve handling - which is 100% doable with over the counter modifications. Let's cut him some slack here guys!

To the OP, if you want to discuss directly, please feel free to contact me and I can recommend specific products that will help!

thanks
Brad
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by 220S
Agree completely.

Which is why once Used 2007 E63 price = (used 2010/1 price)/2 I will swap.