Renting an E63 for the Autobahn?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Renting an E63 for the Autobahn?

I'm going to Southern Germany on business and was wondering if anyone knows where there is a good strech of Autobahn to play on and where/how I can rent an E63.

I want to have some serious fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I've been over to Germany quite a few times (mostly fly in to Munich) and I have yet to see any real performance cars to rent. You may have to dig to find a private place that will have an E63.

Don't forget, don't use American rules to drive on the Autobahn, you'll get run off the road!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Use your mirrors and only overtake on the LEFT!!! There are a few luxury exotic places to rent from in Geneva. And the drive from there to Germany is pretty amazing...just a thought.

I've used this company - it's ain't cheap but blasting through the alps in the summer with a 997 TT Cab is the best ever

http://www.eliterent.com/en/car_rent...er_switzerland

http://www.eliterent.com/en/car_rent...et_switzerland

Last edited by LZH; 01-10-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Europe Auto Rental

I have been very happy with SixT to rent cars the last few times I have been to Europe. Don't know if they do AMG's, but I have rented nice W211 sedans, a W211 wagon, and even a BMW X5 Turbo Diesel (torque monstor).

Driving and parking an X5 in downtown Amsterdam was hilarious. I had to use/pay for 2 parking spots everywhere I went. I'd think twice about getting one of those in Europe again, but I managed to return the thing without a scratch.

SixT is at most airports, they have always been competitive and very customer service oriented. 1st class company.

Have fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
SixT was interesting.

The vehicle class you would probably want is book by phone only. I guess they are concerned.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 AM

'05 CL65
Originally Posted by NCE500
I have been very happy with SixT to rent cars the last few times I have been to Europe. Don't know if they do AMG's, but I have rented nice W211 sedans, a W211 wagon, and even a BMW X5 Turbo Diesel (torque monstor).

Driving and parking an X5 in downtown Amsterdam was hilarious. I had to use/pay for 2 parking spots everywhere I went. I'd think twice about getting one of those in Europe again, but I managed to return the thing without a scratch.

SixT is at most airports, they have always been competitive and very customer service oriented. 1st class company.

Have fun.

Having lived for 10 years in central amsterdam I am surprised you could even find 2 adjacent parking spaces. Its really tight around there, and grats on not hitting a pole

Also bump for SixT, they seem to have the best range of "special" cars of all the major rental places. Although I dont recall ever seeing an AMG. Looking at their German website they do have CL500, SLs
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by dsc
Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.
Like others have already mentioned, SIXT is a great car rental. They have a location at the Munich airport. On high performance cars they have an age restriction in Germany and Austria, hence the reason why you have to call in rather than book online. Since the Airport is about 20 miles outside of Munich, you will be immediately on the Autobahn. Depending where you're headed, whether toward Munich or up to Stuttgart, either way you'll have plenty of opportunities to go top speed. However, make sure you keep an eye on the lit traffic signs above you. There are now quite a few sections where they impose speed limits. Also, ALWAYS use your mirrors and after you overtook someone, merge back into the right lane. Germans use their mirrors and will move over for you, but be patient and don't use your high beams. In the old days we got away with it, now it's also a ticket if you get caught. Don't be surprised, the Autobahn is mostly 2 lanes and has some turns

I was born in Germany and go there once a year to visit my parents. If you have any more questions about anything German, let me know.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by SMP
Like others have already mentioned, SIXT is a great car rental. They have a location at the Munich airport. On high performance cars they have an age restriction in Germany and Austria, hence the reason why you have to call in rather than book online. Since the Airport is about 20 miles outside of Munich, you will be immediately on the Autobahn. Depending where you're headed, whether toward Munich or up to Stuttgart, either way you'll have plenty of opportunities to go top speed. However, make sure you keep an eye on the lit traffic signs above you. There are now quite a few sections where they impose speed limits. Also, ALWAYS use your mirrors and after you overtook someone, merge back into the right lane. Germans use their mirrors and will move over for you, but be patient and don't use your high beams. In the old days we got away with it, now it's also a ticket if you get caught. Don't be surprised, the Autobahn is mostly 2 lanes and has some turns

I was born in Germany and go there once a year to visit my parents. If you have any more questions about anything German, let me know.
http://www.europcar.com/

Take it easy for the first few hundred miles (KM's). Get used to the traffic flows and the signs. Most German drivers have no patience (kein geduld). Make sure you have a GPS.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I have been told the southern roads are better, the A1 north/south is well very disappointing to me. Only sections of no limits and the road is not the best layout and only 2 lanes. Max I got to was 140... did not have space to go faster..... By comparison the stretch of highway from Calais enroute to Paris in France is by far a much safer and better stretch of road - but speed limited .. go figure!

As has been said, don't be surprised by more than a few sharpish corners...and undulations / bumps... and road works! Check before you travel of any road works on the go.

From a search these are apparently the best sections... (on my to do list)

1 – A31 from Essen to Emden in the country’s northeast
2 – A24/A19 heading north out of Berlin to Rostock
3 – A38 from Gottingen to Leipzig
4 – A3 from Frankfurt to Bonn
5 – A62 from Landstuhl to Nonnweiler in Germany’s southwest corner
6 – A5 from Karlsruhe to Basel
7 – A92 from Munich to Deggendorf
8 – A96 between Landsberg and Bregenz at the southern tip of the nation
9 – A81 from Weinsberg to Wurzburg, just north of Stuttgart
10 – A9 between Nurnberg and Holledau, a bit northwest of Munich
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by AgSilver
http://www.europcar.com/

Take it easy for the first few hundred miles (KM's). Get used to the traffic flows and the signs. Most German drivers have no patience (kein geduld). Make sure you have a GPS.
You're right about that: Germans have "Keine Geduld" for guys that insist to stay in the fast lane and block traffic
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by stevebez
I have been told the southern roads are better, the A1 north/south is well very disappointing to me. Only sections of no limits and the road is not the best layout and only 2 lanes. Max I got to was 140... did not have space to go faster..... By comparison the stretch of highway from Calais enroute to Paris in France is by far a much safer and better stretch of road - but speed limited .. go figure!

As has been said, don't be surprised by more than a few sharpish corners...and undulations / bumps... and road works! Check before you travel of any road works on the go.

From a search these are apparently the best sections... (on my to do list)

It depends of the time of day, just like here in America, whether there's heavy or light traffic. For undisturbed top speed runs I go out at night. Best time and day would be Sunday between 10PM and midnight, since big trucks with trailers are not allowed to be on the road. And yes, there are some turns, but they are not sharp
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by SMP
Thanks Guys! I want to make this happen if possible. SMP, I do have cultural questions as I am going there on business. Any help in understanding German ways would be great.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by stevebez

Great list Steve. Turns out I'll also be in your town for a few days. I end my trip in London.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Great info on company choices in here, and cool road list Steve
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by SMP
It depends of the time of day, just like here in America, whether there's heavy or light traffic. For undisturbed top speed runs I go out at night. Best time and day would be Sunday between 10PM and midnight, since big trucks with trailers are not allowed to be on the road. And yes, there are some turns, but they are not sharp
Many of the gentle turns are there to keep you awake. German road engineers understood the problem of driver drowsiness more than 75 years ago.

You should come play in the backyard of my summer home - - - The Nordschleife (about 45 minutes away). It's open all year . . . something you will never forget (be careful!).