Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I totalled my 2005 E55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
It makes no sense to say that that all accidents can be avoided, or to stereotype all women as bad drivers or that people at 65 (just sixty-five) should have to take a retest.

Good driving can avoid some accidents from happening, some women are bad drivers and a retest at approximately 80 years old all seem more sane suggestions.

For the member saying they have no sympathy for the old man, that's really poor form.

More importantly, the test for first time drivers in this country should be harder and perhaps the age raised to 18 for that. Certain parents not giving teenagers 500 horsepower tanks may help a little too.

Glad no one hurt in this accident and hope that the owner can get the car fixed/replaced to a level that makes him happy.

Last edited by Nstar; 01-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Definitely totaled, so sorry to hear....
Though I think it's compassionate you feel bad for the ol' chap - the fact of the matter is, he should NOT have been on the road. Period.
I hate saying this, but I would have been upset if I were you. Our elders need to realize there comes a point in time where they are just not as alert as they used to be, & need to cease driving.
I agree. It is a sad statement to have to make, but at some point many people are too old to drive safely. I almost got hit by an old guy in a Lincoln Continental a couple of weeks ago that was driving into ONCOMING TRAFFIC on the highway and had no idea why people were honking, swerving, and blinking their lights at him. He passed exits and turn offs and kept on going.

It seems like around Indiana old people driving into oncoming traffic is their favorite past time. Every few weeks I see another one around here. Scary.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Originally Posted by waxking1

There really should be some sort of retesting for drivers past a certain age. Everyone ages differently and I'm sure there are some relatively safe 90 year olds driving in familiar areas...
Funny you should mention that. I know that very issue was brought up here in Indiana a few years ago and the AARP said it was 'profiling' and 'age discrimination'.

Evidently they are BLIND to the point that you made very well. Everyone ages differently. Those still capable of driving would be fine with re-testing. Those that fail should not be on the road. Period.

Side note. Negotiating with your insurance company DOES work if you can prove your car is worth more. Receipts for all of the expensive RennTech stuff help, as would finding comparable cars. My buddy just totalled his R500 and they lowballed him on his settlement, and he countered with values he found online, and they settled for about $9,000 more than their first offer. You just have to stand your ground.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
OUT OF CURIOSITY

Marcus (emoving) I would like you to respond to my scenario from the bottom of page 2. I presume you did not read that....?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Marcus (emoving) I would like you to respond to my scenario from the bottom of page 2. I presume you did not read that....?
I did, and the fact that you want me to even comment on your comparison of a 5 time DUI offender and a older gentleman that missed seeing a car when he pulled out (by the way it happens every single day by people of all ages) is so insane I choose to ignore it. Seriously, when you come back down to earth, this could become a legit dicussion.

The fact that you want me to compare my family getting killed by a five time drunk and an old man that had an accident makes me want to never come on forums again. I start to think idiots only hang out in these places. Talking to normal people that I work with and are friends with keeps it all in check and allows me to be humored here instead.

Last edited by emoving; 01-14-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...The factory warranty ran out less than a year ago and I purchased the Chrysler warranty but never used it...
I did not see if anyone else had mentioned this, but if you call the warranty provider and ask them what the payout you would received is if you were to cancel the warranty you should get paid for the prorated remainder of the warranty. I did that when I sold a car I bought an extended warranty on and got a check for around $2,000 in a couple of weeks. No reason to leave money on the table!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by emoving
I did, and the fact that you want me to even comment on your comparison of a 5 time DUI offender and a older gentleman that missed seeing a car when he pulled out (by the way it happens every single day by people of all ages) is so insane I choose to ignore it. Seriously, when you come back down to earth, this could become a legit dicussion.

The fact that you want me to compare my family getting killed by a five time drunk and an old man that had an accident makes me want to never come on forums again. I start to think idiots only hang out in these places. Talking to normal people that I work with and are friends with keeps it all in check and allows me to be humored here instead.
Nicely said. That question and scenario leveled at you was right up there with one of the most brainless you'll see and the chances of a legit discussion with someone who writes something like that is as likely as interrupting Santa Claus. This is the first internet forum I've been a member on and joined to use the search engine to find vehicle specific technical information but to find anything substantive you need wading boots.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM

06 E55 / 13 C63
This may be the dumbest comment on this board! Can't wait till you are old and in the nursing home, we will all make sure to come and kick you in the nuts.
You and the other slow thinking people on this thread that love taking posts out of context, listen up.

I said ZERO sympathy for old people THAT SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.

Since it seems you guys are too slow to think about this, this refers to old people that are either physically incapable (poor vision as this guy was; the OP even said they had to tell him one of his glass lenses was popped out and the guy didn't even know it!) or mentally, again, look at the OP's example, the guy wasn't even aware one of his lense was missing, so he was obviously oblivious of that, you think he can drive a car?

I am all about older people still driving, it's a big deal for them not having to rely on others, getting around themselves etc. It's another to be unaware of your surroundings and have poor reactions to situations, such as this one where it could have been avoided if the old man's perception was better and realized the car was coming too fast for him to pull out and make it in time.

You guys are always spouting out 'this is why American is like this or that' yet fail to take consideration for people like yourselves that support people like this old man and keep them on the road.

I am 100% if this was YOUR situation and the old man basically crumpled the entire front end of YOUR car in your sig and YOU knew he should not have been on the road, I guarantee your posts would be drastically different.

Now, come back and tell me I'm wrong somehow

Last edited by ELITE_KOV; 01-14-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
pff, drama as usual. asain people can't drive either.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ELITE_KOV
You and the other slow thinking people on this thread that love taking posts out of context, listen up.

I said ZERO sympathy for old people THAT SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.

Since it seems you guys are too slow to think about this, this refers to old people that are either physically incapable (poor vision as this guy was; the OP even said they had to tell him one of his glass lenses was popped out and the guy didn't even know it!) or mentally, again, look at the OP's example, the guy wasn't even aware one of his lense was missing, so he was obviously oblivious of that, you think he can drive a car?

You guys are always spouting out 'this is why American is like this or that' yet fail to take consideration for people like yourselves that support dumbasses like this old man and keep them on the road.

I am 100% if this was YOUR situation and the old man basically crumpled the entire front end of YOUR car in your sig and YOU knew he should not have been on the road, I guarantee your posts would be drastically different.

Now, come back and tell me I'm wrong somehow
You are an idiot is what you just proved. I color coded it since you are about as bright as a cave.
1) Did he get a vision test on scene to prove his vison was bad or should all people that wear glasses not be permitted to drive.

2) You ever heard of SHOCK. The guy was just hit in the side at 35MPH, you would be quit confussed and disoriented as well.

3) Now hes a dumbass because he made a mistake. So everyone that gets in a car accident is a dumbass.

For all you know, this is the first traffic accident or ticket this guy has evr had, yet you automatically assume he is a "dumbass" that cant see, cant figure out he is missing a lense and should never drive again. You again just showed your intelligence level.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM

06 E55 / 13 C63
You are an idiot is what you just proved. I color coded it since you are about as bright as a cave.
1) Did he get a vision test on scene to prove his vison was bad or should all people that wear glasses not be permitted to drive.

2) You ever heard of SHOCK. The guy was just hit in the side at 35MPH, you would be quit confussed and disoriented as well.

3) Now hes a dumbass because he made a mistake. So everyone that gets in a car accident is a dumbass.

For all you know, this is the first traffic accident or ticket this guy has evr had, yet you automatically assume he is a "dumbass" that cant see, cant figure out he is missing a lense and should never drive again. You again just showed your intelligence level.
I'm done w you and this thread.

Just keep making excuses on why incapable people should stay on the road and I'll wait til the same ***** happens to you. pe@ce, unsubscribed.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
glad you're ok. if you take out the mods and get $30k from insurance, and the get a refund on your chrysler warranty...that might be enough to get a decent E63. good luck.
PL
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I don't understand why anyone would be mad at the old guy that hit me. Maybe you would have had to have been there. If you want to be mad, be mad at the system that allows old people who should not be driving to have a license. Noone is going to police themselves and stop driving when they feel they are capable, even when they are not.

Relatives can control this sometimes as we did with my father but you really can't stop them if they insist anyway. That is why periodic mandantory driver testing should be required for driver license renewal after a certain age.

Again, thanks for the advice about dealing with the insurance to all.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand why anyone would be mad at the old guy that hit me. Maybe you would have had to have been there. If you want to be mad, be mad at the system that allows old people who should not be driving to have a license. Noone is going to police themselves and stop driving when they feel they are capable, even when they are not.

Relatives can control this sometimes as we did with my father but you really can't stop them if they insist anyway. That is why periodic mandantory driver testing should be required for driver license renewal after a certain age.

Again, thanks for the advice about dealing with the insurance to all.
Spoken like a true gentleman! Keep us posted on what the verdict is!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Everyone is a big talker about getting older people to stop driving until you actually have to doi it.

It's not easy. Their doctors don't want to get involved because it can harm their relationship, it's hard for the kids to do it because the parents still treat them like kids, and it's a problem for all involved unless the parent lives next door so someone can drive him / her everywhere or there is front door access to public transportation.

Waxking's reaction to all of this is about the more classy and compassionate one I have read on a forum in a long time. We could all probably learn something here.

Hope this all works out for you and you get what you want - either totalled or not. We'll help you work with Insurance Co by finding cars for sale, for comps, etc. - just let us know how we can help.

And - as others have said - stay aware of how YOU feel - sometimes the pain sets in a little after the fact. If you end up in some pain - GO TO THE DOCTOR just to make sure all is ok.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
Just got off the phone with the body shop. The man told me he had added up about $22K in damages but hasn't removed any panels. He said he could fix it to be as good as before and that even if the frame were bent, that Mercedes has replacement sections. The insurance adjuster will look at it later and decide if he wants the body shop to look further.

He also told me that it was right on the line as to whether or not it would be totalled and it would be up to the adjuster. He looked up the NADA value and it was $34K plus they would pay sales tax or 9.25 percent. Guess I will wait and see what the adjuster says.

The same body shop also got the Lexus and he told me it was totalled. He also said the old man was lucky that I hit it in the center spot which it the strongest part.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

benzo larenzo
Air bag kicked the sh i t out of you.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Not defending the 95yo man that hit OP. But having alot on your mind after visiting the hospital, should have some else driving him. I went through that (hospital visits) for 2yrs when my mom had non smoking lung cancer. My mind was all over the place when going to visit her/leaving the hospital. Luckily i was cogzinant enough to be aware when i was driving.

I think people who text/drive are more dangerous than "old folks". Any distraction of any sort can/will contribute to an accident.

I hope OP car does not get totalled. But if it does get totaled, are you planning to pull your mods from the car? I'm sure the junkyard will be picking it clean and reselling it if they uncover it. If you do get it rebuilt, will you have any remorse driving it knowing it got banged up?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by novae500
...I think people who text/drive are more dangerous than "old folks". Any distraction of any sort can/will contribute to an accident.

I hope OP car does not get totalled. But if it does get totaled, are you planning to pull your mods from the car? I'm sure the junkyard will be picking it clean and reselling it if they uncover it. If you do get it rebuilt, will you have any remorse driving it knowing it got banged up?
Agreed! I almost got rear ended today by some dummy in a Nissan Altima that was talking with her phone jammed in between her shoulder and her head, smoking, changing lanes, speeding, and what honestly looked like picking at or trimming her fingernails. I watched her come within a couple inches of my E63. She was honestly giving priority to EVERYTHING except driving.

I hope they fix the car, and fix it well. Knowing the history of a car you have had for a while is a great piece of mind to have, plus it would be a pain to go get all of the thousands of dollars worth of RennTech stuff off of the car. On the positive side, you would not have anymore stone chips on the front of it. It would be like starting new again!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Agreed! I almost got rear ended today by some dummy in a Nissan Altima that was talking with her phone jammed in between her shoulder and her head, smoking, changing lanes, speeding, and what honestly looked like picking at or trimming her fingernails. I watched her come within a couple inches of my E63. She was honestly giving priority to EVERYTHING except driving.
Most relaxing car to drive? My other half's SUV which has a big tow bar permanently hanging off it's rear end. She got hit one time in her previous Land Rover by some 18 year old who was fiddling with his radio. Our car sustained literally zero damage while his hood crumpled to the wind shield. Good lesson for him I suppose but I don't think a tow bar would look too good on our sedans.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 PM

2011 Ford Raptor, 2003 FX35, 2008 E63 AMG (Gone but not forgotten)
Glad everyone is okay. I've been in a collision like this and no one ever wins in something like this. Sorry for your loss, but I suppose it could have been worse.

Look at the bright side, you get to go car shopping!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nstar
Most relaxing car to drive? My other half's SUV which has a big tow bar permanently hanging off it's rear end. She got hit one time in her previous Land Rover by some 18 year old who was fiddling with his radio. Our car sustained literally zero damage while his hood crumpled to the wind shield. Good lesson for him I suppose but I don't think a tow bar would look too good on our sedans.
LOL!! This calls for a good Photo Shop.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 AM

06 E55 AMG, 86 Corolla,87 E30,02 LSB M3
so sorry for your lost. glad your ok.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:42 AM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
Glad your ok!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That sucks, but glad to hear you guys are okay. Curious to hear the outcome of the car.

You handled the situation with class and compassion, so props to you for that. At the same time, I really think that after a certain age, there should be stricter driving regulations for older folks, I also would love to see the minimum driving age pushed up maybe another year or two. We all know how we'll feel when we're old (and when we were 15-16), but protecting others from those who are inadequate behind the wheel is paramount, and most important. An old person who we feel sorry for because it's too sadly depressing for them to give up their driving privileges, can change into someone we perceive as a murderer if they take someone/someone's out.

And lastly; I commend anyone who looks out for the protection of others, however, considering this is a Forum where people openly post about, and get commended for moronic and murderous speed rampages, it seems a little pick-and-choosey.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Think I totalled my 2005 E55 today