Think I totalled my 2005 E55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by LZH
I see nothing wrong with sticking it to a bunch of crooks. All we do is pay premiums every single month and then something happens where a claim is filed and the insurance scumbags make you jump through hoops and lowball you AND raise your rates. How does that make sense ? I say screw the insurance company for every red cent you possible can - casue guess why ?? THEY WOULD DO IT TO YOU IN A HEARTBEAT.
So true. It's no wonder the insurance companies have nice downtown skyscrapers in many cities. I've paid over $36K in auto insurance premiums my entire life, and I've gotten only one check for $14K on a totaled car way back in '98.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Wow, that looks pretty bad but I'm glad to hear that you made it out alright.

If it were me I would tell the adjuster that aftermarket parts are unacceptable and speak with an attorney if you have to. I'm not sure about the laws in your state but in mine they are liable for any modifications you had on your vehicle. I had a fender bender in the past in my Corvette where the other person was at fault and aftermarket parts were damaged and they were replaced. I would also present the adjuster with a list of aftermarket parts with receipts if you have them as well as the Chrysler warranty information so that you can be reimbursed if they total the vehicle. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
What is bad is that my insurance broker is trying to convince me that I should take the other parts. I used to have MetLife Insurance but have changed to Montgomery. My insurance broker deals with both of these companies and it just so happens that the old guy with the Lexus is their customer also. I have still not talked to the MetLife agent and they don't seem to be in any hurry to talk with me.

My broker keeps telling me that it will be Montgomery that pays until it is settled with MetLife. I told her that I didn't want my insurance paying for anything. She kept acting as if I didn't understand how the system worked.

Maybe I'm living in the past, but the way I see it, the old guy was at fault and did damage to my vehicle. In my opinion, my vehicle should be put back to as close condition as possible to the way it was or I should be reimbursed for my loss and the old guy or "his" insurance should pay, not mine. I think I may have a conflict of interest with a broker that deals with both companies and represents both parties.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I think it is pretty normal for your insurance company to pay the bill and then deal with the other insured for reimbursment. In your case though, since your insurance companies are in bed together, that makes it a little odd.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM

CL65
I finally got a call for the insurance company about the value of my car. They figure it is worth $29K and change. The guy at the body shop had previously come up with a value or $34K.

I'm not sure what I can do to get them to raise the value, as they acted like it would not be negotiable. I've looked at other cars on ebay and Autotrader but none of the cars I see are like mine. Some of the 2005s are asking low 30s in the ads but with fewer options. I had every option except for Distronic, phone, and TPM. Also I had all the Renntech stuff on the car. My car was mint with no scratches or dings.

I could get a lawyer but the lawyer would take anything extra. I wish they would just fix the car. The estimate to fix is around $24K. I still have the Chrysler warranty to 100,000 miles. How do I go about renegotiating the final payout for the car with the Insurance company.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
tell them about your options, and mods and dont get pushed around. be firm with them on the matter. also bring up how your car was pristine and also mention the going prices for similar models.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They could care less about mods. Unless you had a extra waiver for mods and a detailed list that is a loosing battle.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by emoving
They could care less about mods. Unless you had a extra waiver for mods and a detailed list that is a loosing battle.
Unfortunately, emoving is correct on this. Mods mean absolutely nothing unless you have additional waivers for them... Sorry to hear this has been such a battle!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by 06E55
Unfortunately, emoving is correct on this. Mods mean absolutely nothing unless you have additional waivers for them... Sorry to hear this has been such a battle!
That is ok, since the mods mean nothing to the insurance company I am sure they would be more than happy to let you strip the mods off the car before turning the wrecked car over to them right
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Id hope so.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i'd go where your car is and take as many parts off that you can, since you still do legally own the car and its ont the insurance's yet.

sorry for the headache that was caused by another driver and not your fault. Sometimes i wonder if i should mod my car out to the max and have someone hit me or cut in front of me and i lose it all cause of the insurance
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e55
sorry for your loss. Glad your ok, ps you can replace your silver e55 with mine.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM

CL65
Thanks for the support. I can remove the mods since I still have the factory parts to replace them. I don't think the ECU which was programmed by Renntech will work on another 55.

Anyone got any good comparables that might help? Most of the ones I see listed are in the 29K to 33K range but with higher mileage and not optioned as well as mine. If I could get a few thou more from the insurance company I would purchase the salvage and fix it.

If I decide to sell any parts I will post here but at this point nothing is decided.

What happened to the time when the driver at fault had to replace your car with a similar one or give you the true value of your vehicle. This guy caused the wreck but I'm going to be out more than $10K minimum.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
isnt it sad? its a real shame when someone totals you car and You pay for it.... not right. next thing you know ur fixing the other guys car too..
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I assume you have an attorney but if not......get one. You will then get what you want. You are not match for an insurance company.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
yea but the attorney will take what he wins extra, unless you know one
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
yea but the attorney will take what he wins extra, unless you know one
That is the conundrum.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
shouldn't be that hard to plead your case...show local E55 prices in 'your' condition, remove aftermarket parts, should be good for a couple K
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by waxking1
That is the conundrum.
Now your the riddler! LOL Whats so hard to figure out?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM

CL65
What is so hard to figure out? How to hire a lawyer, pay their fee and end up with a better settlement after subtracting the legal fees.

There are no local values in my area for similar cars. If I could find cars for sale which are similar with a higher sale price it might help. I'm going to see if my dealer can come up with a value for me of a similar equipped low mileage CPO.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What is so hard to figure out? How to hire a lawyer, pay their fee and end up with a better settlement after subtracting the legal fees.

There are no local values in my area for similar cars. If I could find cars for sale which are similar with a higher sale price it might help. I'm going to see if my dealer can come up with a value for me of a similar equipped low mileage CPO.
You might want to call a lawyer as I said. The guy and his insurance company are at fault. That means that the attorney would work on a pro bono basis meaning he only gets money if he gets you money. Trust me when I say he will get more then you even have a chance at on your own. Again, you are no match to a giant ins. company.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e55

Not sure where your located but My e55 is still for sale and is solid. Here's the thread with some updated pics.
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ll-sale-3.html
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Def get a lawyer. My sister years ago bought a car new and less than 6 months later, a cargo van rear ended her car in the rain. Caused $9k in repairs. She got a lawyer for missed work, pain/suffering, and the lawyer made $4k and she got $3k which the insurance company settled. She wanted the car totalled, but the guy's insurance wouldn't. Who wanted a basically brand new car repaired?? I sure wouldn't.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Don't know where you are located

but if there are not a lot of 05 E55's in your market you can pull comps
from other regions and give the ins. the highest five examples. Get dealer prices as they are almost always highest.
Then you add on the cost of any custom mods. That is ins co. policy on additions such as yours.
A cpo warranty can be prorated and add that value to your demand.
Then they will add on sales tax and fees to the check written.
You don't want that car fixed it would never be right and would have no joy for you.
Don't involve a lawyer unless you have medical issues from the accident.
Stand you ground. Their insured is at fault and if you firmly push back they will write the check for the highest amount.
Then go buy a nicer one and still have change left over.
Remove sentimental value from the valuation it is standing in your way.
I wish you well

Last edited by ohlord; 02-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM

CL65
Thanks for the advice ohlord, I have been doing some info collecting today. I didn't think about getting the price for a prorated cpo warranty. I found three 2005s ranging in price from 34K to 38K and I threw in a couple of 2006 models which were closer in mileage and options to my car.

I am friends with my Mercedes service advisor and he also told me I probably would not be happy if I had the car fixed. My guy at the body shop told me I should get some comps to give to the insurance company. I have a copy of the original factory window sticker I am also going to send along to show that my car was better optioned than any of the comps I am using. My dealer is also going to get me an estimate to remove and reinstall the mods from my car to another car.

emoving, your advice may also be good but if I can manage without a lawyer I will.
Thanks again. If anyone has a link to a good comp let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Think I totalled my 2005 E55 today