Sponsored by:

Heat Exchangers-Could we use these????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Cool Heat Exchangers-Could we use these????

You guys think any of these will work, comes with various fittings and even adapts to bosch located pumps:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=857&catid=139
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
If yes, thats a nice find.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
I tried to contact ZZ Performance a while back because I had a few questions about their exchangers. There was no way to speak to a tech person. If someone isn't there to answer a tech call, they're not getting my business.

Best bang for the buck when it comes to H/E's is the PLM. No drilling, riveting, nothing. Completely bolt on and cost effective, $275 shipped.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
why do some people prefer liquid to air??? From my understanding PLM is air to air.....Care to explain?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGV855
why do some people prefer liquid to air??? From my understanding PLM is air to air.....Care to explain?
PLM is just like all the others... Liquid to air.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Turbo 6
I tried to contact ZZ Performance a while back because I had a few questions about their exchangers. There was no way to speak to a tech person. If someone isn't there to answer a tech call, they're not getting my business.

Best bang for the buck when it comes to H/E's is the PLM. No drilling, riveting, nothing. Completely bolt on and cost effective, $275 shipped.
I used to do a lot of business with ZZP, to the point where I would buy from anyone except for them. Their customer service was top notch and they would go WAY out of the way to help me out. This was 2-3 years ago when I had the Grand Prix so take it as it is. I would buy from them in a heart beat.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Liquid and air cooled

I don't understand why everyone on here is talking about air cooled and liquid cooled and what heat exchanger is what? I actually had this question after seeing thread after thread for upgraded HE for our cars.

Don't our cars run fluid through our HE, therefore, any HE that do this would be considered air/water cooled.

Now, unless you are talking about our liquid/air intercooler, which I believe would be correct, intake air passes over intercooler lines which absorb the heat.

The only air/air HE I have every used are for my turbo charged applications to reduce the air temperature once pressurized before entering the TB. We did call them Air/Air intercoolers.

It was quite a change going from turbo to supercharged platform cause now we just call them heat exchangers as oppossed to intercoolers.

Now unless I am completely wrong, can someone show me a air to air HE that would work on our car....... and what would the benefit be?

Seems we would have to compress the air, then run reroute that air to pass through an air to air intercooler, than back past our liquid intercooler before it enters the engine. I don't how much of a benefit this would actually add and to what amount of work would be needed.

How and what would be the purpose of any air to air cooler on our car?

PS, I went with a PLM and it works great for what it is, our actual intercooler is the hindering. Not much different from stock, i wanted it for looks as well as my stock one was pretty nasty looking.

Last edited by jkintegra; 01-25-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jkintegra
I don't understand why everyone on here is talking about air cooled and liquid cooled and what heat exchanger is what? I actually had this question after seeing thread after thread for upgraded HE for our cars.

Don't our cars run fluid through our HE, therefore, any HE that do this would be considered air/water cooled.

Now, unless you are talking about our liquid/air intercooler, which I believe would be correct, intake air passes over intercooler lines which absorb the heat.

The only air/air HE I have every used are for my turbo charged applications to reduce the air temperature once pressurized before entering the TB. We did call them Air/Air intercoolers.

It was quite a change going from turbo to supercharged platform cause now we just call them heat exchangers as oppossed to intercoolers.

Now unless I am completely wrong, can someone show me a air to air HE that would work on our car....... and what would the benefit be?

Seems we would have to compress the air, then run reroute that air to pass through an air to air intercooler, than back past our liquid intercooler before it enters the engine. I don't how much of a benefit this would actually add and to what amount of work would be needed.

How and what would be the purpose of any air to air cooler on our car?

PS, I went with a PLM and it works great for what it is, our actual intercooler is the hindering. Not much different from stock, i wanted it for looks as well as my stock one was pretty nasty looking.

All intercooler systems for the E55K are liquid to air. Air to Air systems would be for turbos ( as you mentioned ) or Centrifugal SC's. While it IS possible to swap our liquid to air system for an air to air system, the trouble and costs would make it useless since one system is not necesarily better than the other...just different.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by jkintegra
So you didn't see any temperature drop after getting the PLM H/E?

I ask because my girlfriend is trying to buy me a car part for my birthday, and I don't know what to tell her to get me.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
I cant remember what thread this was, but someone posted this HE and said it worked?

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...0b4fee25778e3a
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Replied to your PM.
Here is the link: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...exchanger.html

There is another link in post 11 comparing this h/e with the FB model.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc

I ask because my girlfriend is trying to buy me a car part for my birthday, and I don't know what to tell her to get me.

I for one would like to know as well???

So liquid to air is the only setup for our cars, now how about tube fin vs bar plate design?
Does anyone make barplate design for our cars?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I would stick to tube and fin designs. They have a better tendancy of disipating heat. A bar and plate design would flow better but this isn't what you necesarily want in a liquid to air intercooler. You DO want this in an air to air intercooler though.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Verified by two board member and one and authorized vendor, this is the HE to buy if you go with ZZP. Damn good price and a monster at that. I am going with the FORD Lightning monster Bosch intercooler pump which they selll to for $99, just need to bye the correct fitting which ZZP sells to for a perfect install.

http://zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion/...=895&catid=178
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
7" is quite high for an exchanger if you have the oil cooler mounted under the oem H/E.

Then again, for some, 7" works just fine
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon

I am sure it helped a bit with maybe recovering or slightly lowering the intake charge, but I would say not much. Although the unit is superior to our stock tank and a bit bigger, its very similar I think.

I put a new Bosch water pump on it when Mercedes upgraded them.

I would say a split system with stock exchanger would benefit you more than an aftermarket HE and no split..

Again, I did mine for looks mainly. If my car wasn't vandalized and stock one wasn't so beat up and ugly, I would of kept it, simply split my system, added a reservoir and another pump and would of gotten better results for sure.

Maybe that is still to come, but I am pulling 11.7 at the track as is, so I am good for now.

I finally got a pulley tool(thanks snail), so Im just trying to figure out who will tune the car after I add the new pulley and that is the biggest headache is the distance between me and tuner. So maybe a split system is in the mix once I start heating things up, then I might see bigger results as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600

get the Eurocharged one, they are local.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by shardul
get the Eurocharged one, they are local.
Yeah, but my question for you is whether, $ for $, it's better than 2 of the cheaper H/E's in series. Because even after shipping, you can get 2 for the price of the Eurocharged unit.

Not hating on Eurocharged, they're the only tuner that I'd let touch my car. But if the off-brand functions just as well, why pay the premium?

If the answer is that the off brand/cobalt H/E is an inferior product, I'm fine with that. I don't put regular gas in this car because why cheap out? But if it's an identical H/E, that's a different story.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
3 years ago when i installed my heat exchanger all the above mentioned ones were still around. i did extensive reaserch to see if they would work, yes someone then would work but would require additional tabs welded on to them to make them fit right.
You have to understand the inlet and the outlet of the EC and PLM ones are positioned so you can use the factory hoses to connect to the heat exchanger. who knows the orientation of the inlet/outlet on these heat exchangers.
People have used the CXR racing heat exchangers they sell on ebay i have seen them in person and let me tell you they are heavy it is bar and plate design not a tube and fin. EC or PLM ones weight 5lbs max CRX ones were at least 15lbs.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by shardul
3 years ago when i installed my heat exchanger all the above mentioned ones were still around. i did extensive reaserch to see if they would work, yes someone then would work but would require additional tabs welded on to them to make them fit right.
You have to understand the inlet and the outlet of the EC and PLM ones are positioned so you can use the factory hoses to connect to the heat exchanger. who knows the orientation of the inlet/outlet on these heat exchangers.
People have used the CXR racing heat exchangers they sell on ebay i have seen them in person and let me tell you they are heavy it is bar and plate design not a tube and fin. EC or PLM ones weight 5lbs max CRX ones were at least 15lbs.
I agree with most of that. I never considered the ebay version as they've been inferior for every other platform I've ever run. At least when it came to heat dissipation over time as opposed to peak horsepower on 1 dyno pull. Along with the weight and design differences.

I was specifically talking about the identically-designed, identical capacity [1.8L], identical cooling size [4000-4010 in^2] as the eurocharged unit, per eurocharged website.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Don't get me wrong, I'd use the money I saved on the H/E to get Jerry to tune me Eurocharged would still get my money in the end.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
LOLL