W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with ASP tensioner pulley install...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Issues with ASP tensioner pulley install...

I got one of the remaining ASP tensioner pulleys and having issues installing it. I removed the old pulley and noticed there is an aluminum/metal washer that appears to help center the pulley correctly once the bolt is tightened. This piece will not fit on the ASP pulley. I went and mounted the pulley in both directions and it is nearly impossible to get it centered and the larger problem is the pulley hits the "arm" that it mounts on. It is as if the center of the pulley was machined too thin and therefore allowing the pulley to contact the arm. Any suggestions? Can someone look at the below pictures of my stock and ASP pulley to confirm 1) if this is the correct pulley for an E55 and 2)which side faces towards the motor?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM

E55
I searched and found a post by Exotic Metal with pictures:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ulley-kit.html

Below is a picture that shows the ASP tensioner pulley he installed. His looks nothing like the one that I have...

Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
I just got mine in the mail last night. I will let you know how my install goes.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK-63 BLACK/2014 E63S/2013 ML350
Yep your right the pic you show isnt the tensioner Pully thats why it wont fit, the pully you have is the front idler pully shown in the left middle of the pic below.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by AUS-E55
Yep your right the pic you show isnt the tensioner Pully thats why it wont fit, the pully you have is the front idler pully shown in the left middle of the pic below.

+1 You purchased the idler pulley. It's a 2 piece assembly, where you will just be replacing the front of the pulleys exactly where AUS described.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM

E55
Wow, not sure how I missed that I was workign on teh completely wrong pulley location. I'd like to blame it on the meds I'm on for a recent back injury but, think I just rushed in without really looking...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM

E55
To remove the factory front idler pulley, do I need to remove the 2nd belt or are the (2) pulleys not connected and I can simply remove the bolt and swap them out?

Thanks again,

Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Todd the pulley you got is for the far left,(Idler pulley) That the s/c belt rides on with the ribs. The one that is known for the wobble. Where you trying to replace the tensionser pulley closest to the S/C??

you have to slip both belts off.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Todd Edge
To remove the factory front idler pulley, do I need to remove the 2nd belt or are the (2) pulleys not connected and I can simply remove the bolt and swap them out?

Thanks again,

Todd
Todd,

The two pulleys are not connected. The front one will just slide off. There are a ton of DIY's up in the sticky about how to change these belts and the bearings in the pulley. You will just loosen the tension of the SC belt and undo the bolt that holds the 2 pulleys on. The front will slip off and you will easily replace it with the new one. It will only go on one way. Re-attach the belt tighten the bolt release the pin on the tensioner and you are good to roll.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Evolved8
Todd the pulley you got is for the far left,(Idler pulley) That the s/c belt rides on with the ribs. The one that is known for the wobble. Where you trying to replace the tensionser pulley closest to the S/C??

you have to slip both belts off.
Yes, I was working on the tensioner and not the idler by mistake. I need to just keep working on the Cobra and leave this one to the experts...

Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Red face

Yes, I was working on the tensioner and not the idler by mistake. I need to just keep working on the Cobra and leave this one to the experts...

Todd

N/P don't be hard on your self. The one you got is most notorious for issues.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM

E55
Well, atleast I know the bearing in my tensioner pulley is just fine. There is little to no play in this pulley.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

E55
How do you get to the accessory tensioner so I can loosen up the belt and remove the stacked pulley's? I was told looking down that I can see it to the lower right of the crank pulley. I'm running a stock pulley but, don't see anything. Anyone with a picture or diagram so I can pinpoint what I'm looking for and what is required to turn the tensioner?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Todd get a small makeup mirror from the wife and put it right by the crank pulley on the r/t hand side. You will see the 17mm Tensioner nut. Best way to hit it is form the bottom but If you cant it can still be hit from the top
Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
If you have a large pulley, definitely go from the bottom to access that tensioner.

Since you have one pulley, might as well order up the rest for a matching set.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK-63 BLACK/2014 E63S/2013 ML350
Originally Posted by tgoss
Todd,

The two pulleys are not connected. The front one will just slide off. There are a ton of DIY's up in the sticky about how to change these belts and the bearings in the pulley. You will just loosen the tension of the SC belt and undo the bolt that holds the 2 pulleys on. The front will slip off and you will easily replace it with the new one. It will only go on one way. Re-attach the belt tighten the bolt release the pin on the tensioner and you are good to roll.
Sorry but this is wrong and I want to clear this up before he does some damage, you will need to pull both belts to take off the front idler, its a BOLT that go's through both the inner and outer pullies, if you try and just undo the bolt you will damage the thread because the belt will be loading up the inner pully, I have the complete kit of ASP pullies and i went througyh this on my install,

One thing im not sure of is if the outer ASP idler pully you have will work wit a stock inner idler pully. watch out for the spacer inbetween the two Idlers its a ***** to find if you drop it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM

E55
Sorry but this is wrong and I want to clear this up before he does some damage, you will need to pull both belts to take off the front idler, its a BOLT that go's through both the inner and outer pullies, if you try and just undo the bolt you will damage the thread because the belt will be loading up the inner pully, I have the complete kit of ASP pullies and i went througyh this on my install,

One thing im not sure of is if the outer ASP idler pully you have will work wit a stock inner idler pully. watch out for the spacer inbetween the two Idlers its a ***** to find if you drop it.
Thanks for the clarification. I finally found the bolt to release tension on the accessory belt and have both belts off. Could MB have hidden the bolt any better??

From the other threads I've found, it appears the ASP pully will work with the other factory pulley.

I'll confirm once I get it put together.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Correct sorry if my response was short and unclear. I was more trying to point you to the DIY's at the top of the page.

Should have just pasted this link the first time. My bad. This is to replace the bearing. All the steps are right here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ng-repair.html

Good lookin out sir
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

E55
Is the bolt on the idler pulley removed going clockwise or counter clockwise? I've tried both directions but, wanted to confirm before I really put some weight into it.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Is the bolt on the idler pulley removed going clockwise or counter clockwise? I've tried both directions but, wanted to confirm before I really put some weight into it.

Thanks,
Todd
Righty tighty, Lefty loosey.... (counter clockwise its a T50 torx.)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM

E55
That is what I thought but, I'm just short of a breaker bar and it isn't budging. I'll try to give it more and see if it will break loose.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
That is what I thought but, I'm just short of a breaker bar and it isn't budging. I'll try to give it more and see if it will break loose.

Thanks,
Todd
N/P
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM

E55
Get your breaker bar ready... To get the bolt off the pulley, I put the T50 in the grooves and an 8mm wrench on teh T50. I then used a 24" breaker bar on the 8mm wrench to break it loose. The bolt appears to have loctite on it from the factory. What a PITA to get out. It is all swapped out and working.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Todd
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Glad it worked out man!!