W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie E55 question. Dissapointing test drive...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for an E55
Newbie E55 question. Dissapointing test drive...

Since I have a disease where everything I own needs to give me an adrenaline rush, I decided to look for an E55 to satisfy my sedan needs.

I test drove a 2006 with 55k on it today. This was the first supercharged E55 I have driven. After reading about these cars on dragtimes.com and watching Youtube videos I was expecting this thing to be a lot stronger. The seat of the pants feeling didn't even equal that of an 09 convertible Vette that I rented at Hertz(Which I took to Sears Point and ran 12.60's at 110.) Maybe it just doesn't feel fast because the car is so smooth and quiet?

One other concern I had is that I could not hear the supercharger. Are these things so well insulated that there is not a noticeable blower whine? Or is it not engaging which would explain my disappointment in the power.

I asked the dealer about my concerns and he assured me everything is in working order, and that the car is a "Monster" and has frightening power. But he was a Mitsubishi dealer, so he may not have experience with these cars. He also said they had an E63 that was remarkably faster than this E55. From what I have read they should be close in performance.

So I came home without the E55. I think I will drive another one before I make a decision.

Any thoughts? Supercharger issue with this car?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 AM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Drive another one. I just gave 3 of my friends a ride on mine tonight, floored the thing, and the g-force that we all got made our stomachs feel like we were on a rollercoaster....

I dont hear the S/C. But I definitely feel it!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 AM

looking for an E55
Originally Posted by HIGHMILE E55
Drive another one. I just gave 3 of my friends a ride on mine tonight, floored the thing, and the g-force that we all got made our stomachs feel like we were on a rollercoaster....

I dont hear the S/C. But I definitely feel it!
Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to hear that the S/C whine noticeable, and the car I drove was not operating properly. My Fiance and a friend rode with me and they both said it pulled ok, but didn't feel like a car you would want to go hunting a Viper or even a Vette with. We are all used to really fast vehicles, so I don't know if I'm expecting too much or if I got in a bad example of the car. It definitely did not give the roller coaster feeling you describe, I know, and love that feeling. If it did, that car would be in my garage. LOL.

What about the belt chirp people are talking about when the SC clutch engages? I didn't hear that either.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I would drive at least 3 to 4 of them, You will notice differances in each, not all E55 are created equal. There is no blower noise on a stock one.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 AM

looking for an E55
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I would drive at least 3 to 4 of them, You will notice differances in each, not all E55 are created equal. There is no blower noise on a stock one.
Will do! Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
I gaurantee that the ic pump was toast (very common problem). The car should have pulled like hell! Test out another and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
As a former 08 C6 owner, I can attest that the E55 pulls as well as a Vette. If you felt a difference, then I agree, the IC pump is likely toast. I get a thrill every time I floor it.

My wife and I were in the 996TT yesterday and I spooled it up and floored it from the light and we both commented that the E55 is more thrilling.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
The 516 tq does wonders, you definantly feel it! (Once you gain traction and the power isnt being cut out by esp)

From the sounds of it you test drove a piece haha jk, probably a bad ic pump for sure...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 AM

E55 AMG
I test drove two of them before I bought mine. I was thoroughly impressed with both of them. My car felt equally impressive as well.
I too am no stranger to fast cars (previously built two ten second cars) but these E55's don't make sense. When I first floored them I couldn't believe how hard they pulled for a four door luxury sedan.
Since then I've done everything except a throttle body and the car is an absolute monster.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Definitely test drive a few more. Something just doesn't seem quite right with the one you drove.

If the clutch pack on this E is not worn or has been replaced, there will be no chirp when the SC engages. If the IC pump is bad, the SC should still come on until high temps shut it down. You would have felt this I would think. The car goes from monster to mild in a heart beat. The SC might not engage for other reasons as well. If you even consider looking at this particular car, pulling codes through the MBs star diagnostics would be a must. I was thinking there was mildly noticeable SC whine with the stock pulley.

As far as the dealers comment regarding the 63 vs 55, I find the 55 has in your face, visceral torque, the 63 is a bit more refined, but still powerful.

Do you think it is possible traction control (ESP) kept spoiling the fun? The yellow caution sign would have flashed in the MFD.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Something wasn't right, an E55 pulls like crazy - it makes about 500lb-ft by 2500RPM. Sounds like the supercharger wasn't engaging.

Was the engine already warm when you drove it? I find when restarting a hot engine, the heat soak cuases the supercharger to be disabled for a minute or two until the intercooler pump cools things down.

If the supercharger stayed off longer, then most likely the intercooler pump has died. Pretty common failure, not expensive nor difficult to fix.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
You should preform a "sneaky ecu reset" first on any E55 you test drive. It can make a world of difference in cars that are not driven hard on a regular basis.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
LOL, Did you see a little yellow triangle during your test drive?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM

looking for an E55
Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by cal1
Definitely test drive a few more. Something just doesn't seem quite right with the one you drove.

If the clutch pack on this E is not worn or has been replaced, there will be no chirp when the SC engages. If the IC pump is bad, the SC should still come on until high temps shut it down. You would have felt this I would think. The car goes from monster to mild in a heart beat. The SC might not engage for other reasons as well. If you even consider looking at this particular car, pulling codes through the MBs star diagnostics would be a must. I was thinking there was mildly noticeable SC whine with the stock pulley.

As far as the dealers comment regarding the 63 vs 55, I find the 55 has in your face, visceral torque, the 63 is a bit more refined, but still powerful.

Do you think it is possible traction control (ESP) kept spoiling the fun? The yellow caution sign would have flashed in the MFD.
There was no flashing light. It was glued to the pavement and not even close to turning a tire.

Originally Posted by Shadow5501
Something wasn't right, an E55 pulls like crazy - it makes about 500lb-ft by 2500RPM. Sounds like the supercharger wasn't engaging.

Was the engine already warm when you drove it? I find when restarting a hot engine, the heat soak cuases the supercharger to be disabled for a minute or two until the intercooler pump cools things down.

If the supercharger stayed off longer, then most likely the intercooler pump has died. Pretty common failure, not expensive nor difficult to fix.
It was warm, I let it idle while I was checking out the rest of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
You should preform a "sneaky ecu reset" first on any E55 you test drive. It can make a world of difference in cars that are not driven hard on a regular basis.
How is this performed?

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
LOL, Did you see a little yellow triangle during your test drive?
Not even close, yawn....
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Been in a few quick cars in my time and the low down torque of this car is just insane - real neck snapping, crush you in your seat torque .... if you not getting grip, thats another story.

Only car I've been in that "felt" that "push you in your seat fast" was a ~600hp Porsche Turbo flatnose.

Its not the fastest car out there obviously, but for the car it is it sure does move, and its acceleration you can feel.

If you could get no wheel spin in first then there is something wrong no question. Dont worry about the tranny reset the S/C is not engaging.

Last edited by stevebez; 02-06-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM

looking for an E55
One other question..

I was looking at this car for a nice commuter. After becoming a member on here and doing a little research, it seems this vehicle reliability is in question. I already own several temperamental, extremely fast toys that spend half the year down for repairs, and I don't need another one. How reliable are these beasts? Maybe this application wouldn't be best suited for the E55?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM

E55 AMG
As discussed, it's always best to test drive a few e55s also ensure it's been properly maintained. Reliability is amazing in a good way! Just the norm maint required and not bad for a used high end car! Try another please and report back to us. I just bought mine and gave my friend a ride he had a modded 87 mustang and he almost pissed himself after I took him for a spin.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Originally Posted by WINspeed
I was looking at this car for a nice commuter. After becoming a member on here and doing a little research, it seems this vehicle reliability is in question. I already own several temperamental, extremely fast toys that spend half the year down for repairs, and I don't need another one. How reliable are these beasts? Maybe this application wouldn't be best suited for the E55?

Thanks in advance!
Lots of things come into it, check out the search function on the forum. There is a TON of info about your question already there for you to look at. 'Search' first, you won't be disapppointed. lots of us commute these cars daily, others not so much, read up and make up your own mind, but figure $5k in for an extended warranty, of that, there is no doubt.

Regards
Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s

Thanks in advance!

Like they say, if you can afford to buy 2 E 55s, you can afford to own one.
We have members here running low 11:s with over 100,000 miles on them.
Keep reading....
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
There was no flashing light. It was glued to the pavement and not even close to turning a tire.

It was warm, I let it idle while I was checking out the rest of the vehicle.

How is this performed?

Not even close, yawn....
The torque on a healthy stocker will break tires loose under the best traction conditions with ease. Something is wrong. Maybe the dealer is trying to sell you a poser.

Check the link https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/148019-holy-crap-you-guys-sneaky-ecu-reset-works.html
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I never thought the E55's were great "seat of the pants" cars. Sure there fast, but if you drive a High HP stick car you get a WAY different feel. Its all perspective I guess. Even modded I dont think my car "feels" that fast.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment

Thanks in advance!
Well, it's not a Honda Accord, but it ain't that bad. The airmatic struts are about the only thing that fails without warning and can take the car off the road. The other common problems can either be caught early by someone with a little car savvy (bearings on idler pully, for example), or are annoyances that don't need immediate attention (intercooler pump is a good example).

It's a good bet the intercooler pump was dead on the one you drove. By letting it idle while looking it over, the intercooler warmed up to the point where the supercharger was disabled due to high intake air temperatures.