W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Fast driving and you - how do you feel about this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011 | 07:26 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Fast driving and you - how do you feel about this?

Most people who go out and buy a performance car like an AMG, no doubt can appreciate the power and sport attributes of the vehicles.

Now, especially in the northeast USA, it is very difficult to safely push these cars on any public road. First, you have traffic and obstacles that can lead to an accident easier than on a race course. Secondly, the highways and streets are fairly well patrolled, even in the later hours of the night.

Let's examine the second issue a bit further: I drive a lot, sometimes 300 miles in a day, and nearly 40k a year. I see the patterns of traffic and enforcement. Sure, sometimes no one is around and you can push the car a little bit - but it is a game of chance. Sooner or later, if you do it enough, you will get caught by surprise. Even with the best radar detectors, laser jammers, and knowledge of the area, there are some places were you can just get surprised.

Now comes to my point: What do you guys feel about this? Do you think it is more mature to just drive normally on the streets, and occasionally take your car to a track? (Be it the drag strip or a race course/autocross). That way, you can still get your "racing" kicks while remaining relatively safe and legal.
Old 04-15-2011 | 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Of course it's more mature to drive "normally" (whatever that is) on the streets. But I also open her up every once in a while as well. I know where I can do it safely without risk of getting busted by the police or injuring anyone except myself... Never have nor ever will take my car to the track...
Old 04-15-2011 | 09:41 PM

E55K AMG
completely agree you, speed limits are proven to save lives.

Just wish I could control myself, its an addiction the I cant kick. Once I see an open road theres not much that can stop the habit. All the cars I have owned have been high performance, exsept the first one I learnt in.........

I had a fair share of bumps and knocks and needing to go to court when I was younger.....thinking I was invinsible.

But now in my line of work I see fatalities daily on the road...... very sad.
A split second of fun, can turn into a lifetime of misery.....
To wait and learn by a mistake can be too late......

Happy driving and be safe
Old 04-15-2011 | 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Theres no point to own a fast car and drive it slow lol. I'm not driving 55 in a 55, I have places to be and 500hp to take me there.
While never endangering other people's lives (maybe just teaching them a lesson a tad for driving like a moron), when I'm on the highway at midnight and its empty - I'm gonna open her up. Not to sound like a fool, but its my life and Im not risking anyones elses so why should I get so fined for it? However, when I'm 40 with kids, I may think different.

I dont see anything wrong with going fast when the road permits. I'm not talking about steet racing with other cars on the road - that's NOT smart.

Oh, and those undercover staties are just a kick to the nuts. Another low blow is them using laser even on small streets now.
Drive safe fellas!
Old 04-15-2011 | 10:13 PM

2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
Driving your AMG

Buying a AMG Modded or not is about having some excitement in your life through the automobile if u drive a V , M , RS ,Mustang , Vette , camero, Nissian Z , or performance orientated .. it the same motives.You want to enjoy feel of power ,speed , and the sound of a Engine & exhaust. What u have to learn is do it in the most responsible manner to yourself and the lives of others and your family. We all have been street racing from time to time and we have all done it in a irresponsible way ,it a lot less irresponsible if u fine a hidden place where no other innocent drivers could be in harms way.. BUT as we all know that thousands of innocent people spectators have died ,, GOD REST their souls watching races. I have in my younger days been at street races where their have been Accidents and injures.The race track is the only place to turn your self lose and your car.. Most of us speed fairly responsibly such as, long open straight a ways on open interstates no cars around ,, entrance ramps ,,, close streets with no homes on them . You get the best radar detector and a knowledge of how law enforce patrols highways and you'll just get a few less tickets . Maturity most always be used in driving all performance cars and safety first . None us want to wreck are life dreams and lives on being stupid behind the wheel ... Stay Safe in your performance driving..
Old 04-16-2011 | 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Speed limits? I keep it civil, once I see an open stretch with no one around I might give her a little. But I do accelerate quite rapidly up to the speed limit
Old 04-16-2011 | 02:06 AM

Pinto
fast n furious 5
Old 04-16-2011 | 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haters crazy
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
fast n furious 5
Looks like its gonna be good

There hasn't been a car I owned that I haven't driven hard on a daily basis. 516 ft tq... hard to stay civilized lol

I dont think age has anything to do with it, I know somebody thats pushing late 60s who decided to supercharge his z06 because he felt it was slow lol
Old 04-16-2011 | 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i would like to add a personal experience... my 32 was a beast after its latest tune. for a v6 closing in on 360 rwhp and gobs of torque. normally im civilized on the streets , keep my fast runs at the track. this am im on city streets 3 am and playing the fool with a friend. car gets loose at 100mph i regain control and slam the curb at 70mph. needless to say i have totaled the car!! city streets just aren't the place to race or use excessive speed and im living proof!
btw if anyone knows of a low mileage slk32 that that isn't black or silver im looking with cash!!