Sponsored by:

General forum ? to the veterans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E63 s63 (sold),1986 Buick Grand National (sold)2014 ML63
General forum ? to the veterans

Hey guys, as an owner of a Buick GN for the last 10 years, I have learned that these forums are absolutely necessary to enjoy a special car like the Buford GN, or an E55.

I learned more about that car in terms of drag racing it, modding it, putting a stereo in it, you name it; simply by reading turbobuick.com. All basic questions no doubt - but I read a lot and learned a ton. As a result, I have a fast, pretty car that has value, and I know a buttload more about it from those message boards.

Point is:

Can we not just refer every basic question asked by a newbie (like me) directly to the search function? It is limited and sometimes comes up with lots of off topic results that may even confuse the issue more. What if - just answer the question if you know the answer, even for the gagillionth time?

I actively answer questions that I have answered a thousand times on Turbobuick.com and will continue to do so, even after I sell the car. I can share what I have learned, after all they gave me that knowledge so I owe it to give it back.

Sorry, just read a post/question from another user that was instantly directed to the search function, and thought....hey, I know that answer, and I'm new here. Maybe just tell the guy?

Sorry for ranting, no flames meant.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
There should be a sticky post (geez, another one?!) for Frequently Asked Questions.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chris Buffalo
Hey guys, as an owner of a Buick GN for the last 10 years, I have learned that these forums are absolutely necessary to enjoy a special car like the Buford GN, or an E55.

I learned more about that car in terms of drag racing it, modding it, putting a stereo in it, you name it; simply by reading turbobuick.com. All basic questions no doubt - but I read a lot and learned a ton. As a result, I have a fast, pretty car that has value, and I know a buttload more about it from those message boards.

Point is:

Can we not just refer every basic question asked by a newbie (like me) directly to the search function? It is limited and sometimes comes up with lots of off topic results that may even confuse the issue more. What if - just answer the question if you know the answer, even for the gagillionth time?

I actively answer questions that I have answered a thousand times on Turbobuick.com and will continue to do so, even after I sell the car. I can share what I have learned, after all they gave me that knowledge so I owe it to give it back.

Sorry, just read a post/question from another user that was instantly directed to the search function, and thought....hey, I know that answer, and I'm new here. Maybe just tell the guy?

Sorry for ranting, no flames meant.

i agree. I will always help someone out if i know the answer.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 QX56, 09 E63, 00 S2000
Agree, if you know the answer, it takes as much effort to give it, then to type "use the search function". But, some guys think it's cooler to just be an ***.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM

e55 amg
I totally agree. If you can help then do it, if you can't or don't want to then go on to the next post.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
I like the idea of a FAQ sticky. The search function works great, especially if you know what you are looking for. The search function can yield useful information but sometimes at a cost of frustrating hours. Seems like the most asked questions are "common problems", "what to look for when buying", "best mods", "air suspension" etc. Seems like it would be pretty handy to put the best threads in one easy to find spot. Once there, it would be easy to point the newbie to that section for already answered questions.
I find it funny to read the same questions asked by people. You get quite the insight into their personalities in the way they are asked.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Well I think it depends on the question......

Personally I get frustrated by two types of questions:

1) A question that should be answered by YOU. A perfect example is the "what is the best tuning?" question. This is a decision based on your goals, your criteria (money, supplemental mods, ect.) and your location. Lots of threads out there discussing this to death. Quite simply, another thread does nothing but start a flame war. Not good for the community.
2) Questions that would be obvious to anyone who spent an afternoon searching. The OP has forum experience, so I am sure he did his due diligence before he even purchased the car. However I have seen many noobs post a question that was addressed in an thread like 2 or 3 posts above theirs...lame.

The bottom line is that, yes we expect noobs to invest a bit of time (just like nearly everyone of us did) prior to asking questions.

Is that unreasonable?

Outside of the above mentioned issues, I am always happy to answer any question I feel qualified to comment on.

Good luck with your new beast!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
^ +1
I have no problem answering a question like in the recent "Upshift?" thread. I do have an issue with a "what are the best performance mods that don't break the bank" thread.
Threads that ask for an opinion on a subject that has many, is going to go nowhere.
Search, form you own opinion, THEN ask informed questions on what you think will get you what you are after.
Bill
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
This an issue on all forums and not just here.

I think what works is when someone explains that they've searched already and would like some pointers and suggestions, then people here do respond positively.

But when it's their first or second post and they've never bothered to even introduce themselves, and they simply ask a point blank basic question expecting an answer, is where it becomes a problem.

Newbies asking questions should do so with a certain consideration. After all, it is kind of like walking into a clubhouse and demanding attention from all the old time members. And those who answer should do so with equal consideration, understanding that the newbie doesn't quite yet know the protocol.

btw, doing a search is time consuming. But it can link you to all sorts of other good stuff, too. Stuff you would have never come across otherwise. It was a lot more time consuming getting info before the internet and forums. But nobody complained, they just did their research. We've all become pretty spoiled in the age of instant access.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 PM

2005 E55,172 pulley, H/E, shorty headers. 1985 280sl euro
Hasn't this been brought up before? Did you search this topic? Just kidding!
I just had a feeling someone was going to say it.
I would be happy to help anyone, however, I'm a noon too and am very thankful to all the vets out there!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Hey, how much is a E55 transmission?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
$4000
Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Great post!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
OP mia?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
What size tires should I run?!!?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
You know it's funny how the guys that always say use the search button have only been around for a couple of years. I've always tried to help when I can and if I can't then I just don't post. I've been on this board for 6yrs and I have never told a member to use the search button. It's quicker just to answer the question and just keep it short or pm the member and give him or her your number if it's to much to explain on the forum.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 AM

2016 E63 s63 (sold),1986 Buick Grand National (sold)2014 ML63
All of you guys responded with great answers, and I agree with nearly everything all of you have said. I do my homework, yes; but sometimes I wonder before doing all the diligence searching (like a pulley/idlers/sc clutch/belts project) if someone has already done a whole writeup on it with pics, and full descriptions? I know there are a ton of great threads like this, but they don't always just pop up.

Maybe a DIY sticky or even a section for these writeups would be helpful? maybe it would be like an FAQ section with a lot of the common questions and such?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
You know, lately I've found Google's search result for MBW to be better them MBW's search function. For instance. Some guys know the 80 and 82mm throttle body part number off the top of their head. I however, have to search for it all the time. And google grabs it for me with less hassle. Or if im looking to reference a dyno chart I posted Its easier to find the chart and thread in google.

I'm with hammer, A lot of new people are joining up every day and its been that way for a while. When some one moves on to a new car new forum. We get a few new people taking their place. That would like to participate in the forum. So a lot of us have asked or answered the same questions a bunch of times. To me I have no issue with repeat questions.

A lot of us know how to interpret the search results. Maybe better then someone new to a forum. A lot of us even know the thread name that has the info, someone or even ourselves are looking for.

When People use the term STFF (search the fn forum). One, they are new and most likely don't know what that term means. Secondly, Its kind of rude. Especially to someone new. It may discourage them from asking other questions they want answers too. I mean MBworld isn't Wikipedia. There is a reason there are open discussions. If people ask the question enough maybe it will get (or should get) sticky'ed.

My rule of thumb is, If I'm online, and I know the answer I will either answer it, or do the searching for you. Helping a fellow Mercedes enthusiast out is kinda what this place is all about.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I've always said; if every question was answered with "use the search" there wouldn't be any search results to find. Your search query would come up with a bajillion threads that tell someone to use the search function.