W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: new engine or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Help: new engine or rebuild?

Did some highway pulls and the E55 was at the dealer the next day... I feared the worst with the lack of power and severe vibration at idle and a slight knock as of late. I don't have the details fully until tomorrow I believe but I was told there is oil in a few of the cylinders and the plugs were soaked. Compression tests will confirm fully tomorrow but all opinions as well as mine think it's done. I cannot begin to explain how frustrating this is but I want to get it over with....

Does anyone have or know where to find a needle in a hay stack?, I mean a M113K E55 engine?

I also would be interested to know if anyone knows of a good shop or someone who can rebuild these engines with resources to parts?

I will have more details soon, any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
cost wise a rebuild or a new engine is going to be more or less the same. Pending the outcome of the assessment of the damage i would choose a rebuild.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
damn sorry to hear that. I know you just picked up the EC longtubes from the group buy too. Hope damage is minimal
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jwoodcl55
Did some highway pulls and the E55 was at the dealer the next day... I feared the worst with the lack of power and severe vibration at idle and a slight knock as of late. I don't have the details fully until tomorrow I believe but I was told there is oil in a few of the cylinders and the plugs were soaked. Compression tests will confirm fully tomorrow but all opinions as well as mine think it's done. I cannot begin to explain how frustrating this is but I want to get it over with....

Does anyone have or know where to find a needle in a hay stack?, I mean a M113K E55 engine?

I also would be interested to know if anyone knows of a good shop or someone who can rebuild these engines with resources to parts?

I will have more details soon, any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.
What year and how many miles are on the car? Any mods?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 AM

E55 AMG
It's a full stage 1 w/ 180 pulley and cooling mods. I have the EC long tubes sitting in my living room now...

does anyone know someone in the northern VA area that does rebuilds of the m113k motor?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM

E55 AMG
It has just under 80k miles....
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM

E55 AMG
It's a 2005
Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
What happened to yours? I'd just rebuild it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:18 AM

E55 AMG
I would prefer to rebuild it, I just don't have any connections right now....so frustrated.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
I dont know about a reubild but I sent you a PM about a replacement engine from MBTEK (in resonse to your inquiry on my thread regarding my engine replacement).

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM

E55 AMG
Jcjmw, thank you so much the PM and info. I sent Scott a email last night. Are you sure he still has it? I will be prepared financially by Monday. How much would it be to ship the engine across country?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM

E55 AMG
Patience is a virtue that I am currently struggling with...

I just want my baby back
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Honestly, any idiot with enough tools can rebuild a 55K engine ( unless the damage was catastrophic ). What happened to your engine exactly?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Honestly, any idiot with enough tools can rebuild a 55 engine

I may have to make this my new sig.....
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Honestly, any idiot with enough tools can rebuild a 55K engine ( unless the damage was catastrophic ). What happened to your engine exactly?
That is funny, you make it sound like an oil change, only if it were that easy! "Enough tools" and your a tool for even saying such a stupid thing, do you have any idea. If its so easy why are you asking people how to "flush your brakes" or was that not taught when you were learning how to rebuild MB engines, seriously. I am one to talk but I do not bs like I do know how to.

To the orig poster, sorry to hear about your issue. Please pm if you would like a referral for rebuild... Maybe fly this smart *** above out from Puerto Rico and let him do it if he thinks its so easy to rebuild an AMG engine, make sure he warranties his work too. Sorry but this is not the response you give to someone in this predicament, not necessary and put yourself in his shoes.

Last edited by RPB; 06-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RPB
That is funny, you make it sound like an oil change, only if it were that easy! "Enough tools" and your a tool for even saying such a stupid thing, do you have any idea. If its so easy why are you asking people how to flush your brakes, clueless.

To the orig poster, sorry to hear about your issue. Please pm if you would like a referral for rebuild... Maybe fly this smart *** above out from Puerto Rico and let him do it if he thinks its so easy to rebuild an AMG engine, make sure he warranties his work too. Sorry but this is not the response you give to someone in this predicament, not necessary and put yourself in his shoes.
I'm asking how to flush my brakes because this is the first vehicle I've ever worked on that requires a stupid computer to flush the system.

The engine, however, really is a relic when compared to FAR more complicated setups. I've built dozens of engine so I know exactly what I'm talking about when I say that ANY IDIOT with enough tools can build a 55K engine. Our engines, regardless of how awesome they are, are dinosaurs technologically. I've rebuilt engine with nearly twice the valves, twice the cams, infinitely variable valve timing, variable intake runners, and with more hp/liter without the need of a superharger.

The point of my remark was that most shops with just about ANY engine rebuild experience can rebuild a 55K. I was actually trying to help the OP more that you are. But since you seem to know more than I do, what would you recommend? Throw random amounts of money at it to see if something happens?

The OP still hasn't said what happened to his engine. Maybe it's not as bad as he thinks.

Last edited by GT-ER; 06-08-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 PM

E55 AMG
Engine is confirmed dead, cylinder 8 has zero compression and several cylinders had scoring with abundant amount of oil as well, spark plugs came out dripping of oil...

As too the "easy factor" for rebuilding, I have yet to find a shop in the northern VA area that is willing to do so and give a warranty.

I have found two engines that would cost me around 10k with shipping, one in Florida and the other in Indiana. Mercedes wants 3-3.5k for install.

I was given advise that if I plan to rebuild I should go with a long block.... How much should I expect to pay for the rebuild? I am also concerned with the price ballooning as the process goes on as well.

How long should the rebuild take? I figure with time of shipping, total time would be about 1.5-2 weeks if I drop in the new engine.

I drive for a living here locally and this C300 rental is already getting old.... Although gas mileage is amazing.

Thank you all for your support!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
OG's PLEASE CHIME IN

Engine is confirmed dead, cylinder 8 has zero compression and several cylinders had scoring with abundant amount of oil as well, spark plugs came out dripping of oil...
What is the exact fatal malfunction that would cause this? Is there one component of the engine that failed and lead to others, like a chain reaction?

I ask because your car reasonably low miles and I literally got anxiety reading this thread.

Also, the million dollar question, would a warranty cover this sort of repair/rebuild/replacement?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG

As too the "easy factor" for rebuilding, I have yet to find a shop in the northern VA area that is willing to do so and give a warranty.

I have found two engines that would cost me around 10k with shipping, one in Florida and the other in Indiana. Mercedes wants 3-3.5k for install.

I was given advise that if I plan to rebuild I should go with a long block.... How much should I expect to pay for the rebuild? I am also concerned with the price ballooning as the process goes on as well.

How long should the rebuild take? I figure with time of shipping, total time would be about 1.5-2 weeks if I drop in the new engine.

I drive for a living here locally and this C300 rental is already getting old.... Although gas mileage is amazing.

Thank you all for your support!
Hmmm...makes sense they would not want to give you any warranty. What's to say what broke the first one wont break the second one. That's something you must also think of at this point. Even if you put a brand new engine it'll blow just the same with your current mods unless you do something about it.

Regardless, the cylinder scoring could be a problem. Without me being able to see and touch it, it can be anything from negligible to something so bad that the block is worthless. Also, from the looks of it you want the quicker solution which would mean a complete engine swap. That's what I would choose if I were in your shoes and could not build the engine yourself.

Also, 3-3.5K to swap engines? Holy crap...that's one of the craziest rip offs I've heard yet. Maybe you should fly me over with all my tools, I'd do it for half as much and still rape you...lol. Seriously, try to take it somewhere else.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Sorry to hear man. Def rebuild! Damn! Looks like another #8 bites the dust...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
What tune were you on? and how was your a/f
Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Go with a good complete used engine and be done. Try to find whatever caused the initial failure or it will most likely reoccur. A rebuild longblock will cost 12K plus. You shouldn't pay more than $2,000 for an engine installation and that may be a bit liberal.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 AM

E55 AMG
I am starting to lean towards the quick route and do the swap as the funds are available. I agree...I thought the price was high as well, I might have to take you up on your offer GT-ER lol.

I'm not sure who tuned the car as it was done before I purchased from dealer. Had it inspected but not to the extent of i.e. Compression test. I knew it was due to the 180mm pulley, no cooling mods though. Ignorantly I did not know how bad the tune was until I had it dynoed a short while ago. You should know over the past 6+ months there has been a noticeable knock coming from the drivers side of the engine. I was in passionate denial and was planning to get it rebuilt at 100k.

The car dynoed w/o fans on a superflow, it was a 90 degree
day and the ill beast put down 397whp and 458wtq. I was told on this type of dyno the crank correction is 1.28. The a/f was topping out at 11.3 which was high and was possibly a tune for cooler temps.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM

E55 AMG
I plan on downsizing to the stock pulley for now, for reasons related to heat. I do however plan on installing my EC long tubes along with TTM throttle body and Fuel rail kit.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I am starting to lean towards the quick route and do the swap as the funds are available. I agree...I thought the price was high as well, I might have to take you up on your offer GT-ER lol.

I'm not sure who tuned the car as it was done before I purchased from dealer. Had it inspected but not to the extent of i.e. Compression test. I knew it was due to the 180mm pulley, no cooling mods though. Ignorantly I did not know how bad the tune was until I had it dynoed a short while ago. You should know over the past 6+ months there has been a noticeable knock coming from the drivers side of the engine. I was in passionate denial and was planning to get it rebuilt at 100k.

The car dynoed w/o fans on a superflow, it was a 90 degree
day and the ill beast put down 397whp and 458wtq. I was told on this type of dyno the crank correction is 1.28. The a/f was topping out at 11.3 which was high and was possibly a tune for cooler temps.
11.3 a/f ratio is pretty good. I'm pretty sure the heat that pulley was putting on a stock exhaust setup ( you have stock exhaust correct? ) would require the tune to be VERY conservative timing wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Help: new engine or rebuild?