Sponsored by:

My stereo overheated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My stereo overheated

I don't know exactly what happened but I was playing the music loudly for an extended period of time and the stereo shut down on me. After it cooled off for a while it started again and worked fine. Everything is stock in the car but I think it may be time to upgrade some components.

There was a time that I used to enjoy spending a lot of money on stereos but that is in the past but I have become dissatisfied with the Mercedes radio so I may be looking to make some changes.

I figured that the minimum I would want to do is change the speakers and an amp but I may want or need to go further than that. Is the factory head unit easily used when using an aftermarket amplifier or is that something that needs to be changed.

I'm basically looking for something that will be somewhat loud and clear. Bass is something that I like but I am not looking for a pavement pounder, I don't think that I need subs in a box.

What have you guys done?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
If you want to change amp and speakers, you will need a fiber preamp. Otherwise, it would be normal for your system to shut down to "save" itself.

iTronic PRE2, and amp of your choice and speakers will work.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by Cartronics
If you want to change amp and speakers, you will need a fiber preamp. Otherwise, it would be normal for your system to shut down to "save" itself.

iTronic PRE2, and amp of your choice and speakers will work.
more info on the itronic please
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is a fiber optic pre-amp that takes the place of the car's fiber optic amp, and changes the proprietary fiber signal to standard RCA out. You can then use the amp and speaker of your choice.
BTW, changing JUST the amp is the quickest way to blow out the speakers. They can not take more than the current matched set amp that is in the car already. If you want more power you need to change all speakers and amp.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is a fiber optic pre-amp that takes the place of the car's fiber optic amp, and changes the proprietary fiber signal to standard RCA out. You can then use the amp and speaker of your choice.
BTW, changing JUST the amp is the quickest way to blow out the speakers. They can not take more than the current matched set amp that is in the car already. If you want more power you need to change all speakers and amp.
So you don't sell the amps, you just sell the piece that goes onto the factory radio to allow me to use any amp and speaker set up with the factory radio, correct?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Correct, we don't sell any commodity items like amps and speakers, only specialized items (90% for Mercedes Benz). Just pick your favorite amp and speakers and use the iTronic PRE2. We don't quote prices on the forums due to the length of time they stay up, but you can get prices on our site.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
is the current wiring in the benz good enough to handle more power or would you need new speaker wire ?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I got new wiring, components, amps, and a monster sub in a custom box. You wont regret it. My factory system also overheated which is a joke in a $90k car.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The systems have steady progressed over the years, but are meant for nice listening at normal volumes. The wiring should take normal amps, but crazy power... You will need more gauge.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM

05 e55
My system hasn't overheated and i run it at very high volumes... I have, however, damaged my subwoofer and it'll now make weird popping noises when played too loud... Which sucks, cause when I first got the car I was pleased with the audio system... Now i'm unhappy... I'm also not really crazy about the thought of changing the audio system (though i've done it on all my previous cars) ... The battery protection functions worry me as aftermarket amps draw a lot more juice than the HK system...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yeah, those are the trade offs. Mercedes, IMHO, did a great job of balancing the sound quality for a sort of Jazz, Mild Rock, typical listening environment. Much better than most manufacturers we deal with. You won't find a manufacturer that makes window rattle systems. They sound bad and are annoying to other people on the streets. Mercedes would not want any part of that with the brand image. But some people like more low, more highs, more whatever.... then its time to change the system. You do have to do some modifications though.
I own the company, and my 2005 CL65 is bone stock audio except for bluetooth, camera, nightvision, video and ipod functions. I think the stock system is awesome in that particular car. But I don't like to listen for extended periods with super high volume (but my wife sure does!!!). So everyone likes what they like, and we can make it happen.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
My factory system also overheated which is a joke in a $90k car.
This is the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread. Mine has overheated and stayed off for a week at a time before. Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves for putting such crap in not only an expensive $90Kish new car, but a Mercedes period. A Mercedes owner should look at his stock stereo system and say to himself after research, "you know, Mercedes stock components are tough to beat in themselves".
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I wouldn't say mine has over heated, but I have noticed after a while the stereo keeps cutting out like the amp is being turned on and off, and sometimes the only way to get the sound back is unplugging the battery.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

There is something wrong with your stereo... for both of the last two posts. We work with Mercedes systems every day, and they are quite robust. We rarely see one fail, but of course they do, like all electronics, from time to time.
As a safety measure, the amp is supposed to turn itself off, if it overheating. It also has an awesome feature, that it will not go so loud that it will distort (which is what blows out speakers). However, the amps do not have cooling fans, or are exposed for showy display, so they can get hot in the spots they are sitting in if pushed too hard. However, you do not need to disconnect the battery, just turn off the radio for a while and let the ambient temp go down.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

2003 CL55
Sheesh... I've never had an amp/stereo issue at all.. Maybe I need to crank-it-up more!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

EXACTLY!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

There is something wrong with your stereo... for both of the last two posts. We work with Mercedes systems every day, and they are quite robust. We rarely see one fail, but of course they do, like all electronics, from time to time.
As a safety measure, the amp is supposed to turn itself off, if it overheating. It also has an awesome feature, that it will not go so loud that it will distort (which is what blows out speakers). However, the amps do not have cooling fans, or are exposed for showy display, so they can get hot in the spots they are sitting in if pushed too hard. However, you do not need to disconnect the battery, just turn off the radio for a while and let the ambient temp go down.
Thanks for all your information. I was thinking of selling this car but, if I decide to keep it, I will certainly be calling you for some parts.