W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEEDRIVEN | E55 Twin-turbo PKG (feeler)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Actually, the T3 housing, be it on a GT30 or a GT35, is identical. What changes is the size of the bore where the wheel is ( assuming both have the same A/R and are of the same type, being 5-bolt, 4bolt, or V-band ).
That is not true, and I will show you pics if you don't believe me. Trust me, there have been fitments done to see what would and wouldn't fit on a new turbo manifold for the 1.8t A4 and we discovered the difference when a .63 a/r turbine housing caused the turbo to hit the frame rail while a .63 a/r on the 30r didn't. You can call Garrett as well and ask them or simply look up the dimensions on drawings that they provide and you will see the T3 flange is located more to the side and the housing is not the same.

Last edited by urbamworm; 06-30-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
That is not true, and I will show you pics if you don't believe me. Trust me, there have been fitments done to see what would and wouldn't fit on a new turbo manifold for the 1.8t A4 and we discovered the difference when a .63 a/r turbine housing caused the turbo to hit the frame rail while a .63 a/r on the 30r didn't. You can call Garrett as well and ask them or simply look up the dimensions on drawings that they provide and you will see the T3 flange is located more to the side and the housing is not the same.
I've actually OWNED all the turbo's in question ( except for the GT4094R ). As a matter of fact, I've owned over 30 turbo's in my lifetime ( which is pretty sad since I'm not a shop or anything, I just mess around with them on my cars ). As a matter of fact, I swapped a GT3076R with a GT3582R on a VR6 about a year ago or so and it was a straight swap, the housing was 100% identical. I also swapped my PTE T3/T4 on my Pontiac Grand Prix with a PTE SC61 and the housing was also 100% identical. Again, it all depends on the housings you choose. There are about 5 different Garrett T3 housings available. If you can't get one to swap straight up it's because it's not the same identical housing. I have also bored stage 3 housings to stage 5 and P-trims without any issues. Never tried to bore a GT housing though.

Also, you have to make sure you are talking about GARRETT housings. Sometimes people like ATP, PTE and turbonetics make their own versions of T3 housings that are not identical to Garrett versions.

Keep in mind, I did this about 5 years ago...I haven't messed around with turbo's since then so maybe they have changed but back then, it's all the same crapola. ATP also made all kinds of weird housings which made everything even more difficult to sort out...lol.

Last edited by GT-ER; 06-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
I've actually OWNED all the turbo's in question ( except for the GT4094R ). As a matter of fact, I've owned over 30 turbo's in my lifetime ( which is pretty sad since I'm not a shop or anything, I just mess around with them on my cars ). As a matter of fact, I swapped a GT3076R with a GT3582R on a VR6 about a year ago or so and it was a straight swap, the housing was 100% identical. I also swapped my PTE T3/T4 on my Pontiac Grand Prix with a PTE SC61 and the housing was also 100% identical. Again, it all depends on the housings you choose. There are about 5 different Garrett T3 housings available. If you can't get one to swap straight up it's because it's not the same identical housing. I have also bored stage 3 housings to stage 5 and P-trims without any issues. Never tried to bore a GT housing though.

Also, you have to make sure you are talking about GARRETT housings. Sometimes people like ATP, PTE and turbonetics make their own versions of T3 housings that are not identical to Garrett versions.

Keep in mind, I did this about 5 years ago...I haven't messed around with turbo's since then so maybe they have changed but back then, it's all the same crapola. ATP also made all kinds of weird housings which made everything even more difficult to sort out...lol.
+1

Not talking about Garret housings here.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
^^ Nice to see you posting in here... not just under a V12 all the time.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Why TT for an M 113 block?

There are already SC upgrades on the market.

Why would you retrofit a m113K with a m113TT rather doing tunes, etc? What is the resale value? What are the marginal benefits per $ expended?

Why not trade your E55 on a new CLS55TT AMG or a preowned S65 since you boys need 4 doors and like turbos?Why not buy a track membership at Monticello, etc. or go to Skip Barber or AMG schools?
Or am I missing something?

Last edited by grane; 06-30-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Good manners
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by grane
There are already SC upgrades on the market.

Why would you retrofit a m113K with a m113TT rather doing tunes, etc? What is the resale value? What are the marginal benefits per $ expended?

Why not trade your E55 on a new CLS55TT AMG or a preowned S65 since you boys need 4 doors and like turbos?Why not buy a track membership at Monticello, etc. or go to Skip Barber or AMG schools?
Or am I missing something?
First, show me these upgraded Superchargers available for the E55.

Second, it'll be quicker than a 5.5TT...were are talking about 600-700whp. Not the 450-500whp the 5.5TT may have.

Third, it'll still be FARRRRRRRRR cheaper than a 5.5TT. Like, less than half. Those 5.5TT's are going for WELL over $100K.

Forth, I don't like the S65, I like the E55. I'm sure others will agree. Also, even the modded S65's aren't any quicker than the modded E55's so what's the point?

And last....skip barber and amg schools? What are you talking about?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ATP stuff is garbage, I had ran 2 different manifolds of theirs and had one replaced under warranty after it cracked and then ran a different ATP manifold with a different turbo setup and the same thing happened.

And I am talking about a Garrett GT 3" v-band .63 a/r turbine housing on a Garrett GT3582r and a Garrett GT 3" v-band .63 a/r turbine housing on a Garrett GT3076r. This was tested about 1 year ago.

I swear I am not making this up, they are not the same and here is what I am talking about right from Garrett's site, and like I said, I have pics of a 30r and a 35r on the same manifold showing how they aren't the same because the 35r turbine housing tweaked the turbo causing it to hit the frame rail since the flange pushes the turbo out to the side more from the flange which as you see in the links I showed below there is a 6mm difference.

A 30r turbine housing is 72mm from the centerline of the hosing to the outer edge of the T3 flange and the 35r housing is 78mm from the centerline of the housing to the outer edge.

GT3076r

GT35r

A Garrett GT3071r, GT3076r and GT3082r turbine housing are all the same though (if using the same 4 bolt housing or v band in comparisons).

Either way it is not even important since they are talking about using a stainless Tial housing which is smaller and completely different.

Last edited by urbamworm; 06-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
ATP stuff is garbage, I had ran 2 different manifolds of theirs and had one replaced under warranty after it cracked and then ran a different ATP manifold with a different turbo setup and the same thing happened.

And I am talking about a Garrett GT 3" v-band .63 a/r turbine housing on a Garrett GT3582r and a Garrett GT 3" v-band .63 a/r turbine housing on a Garrett GT3076r. This was tested about 1 year ago.

I swear I am not making this up, they are not the same and here is what I am talking about right from Garrett's site, and like I said, I have pics of a 30r and a 35r on the same manifold showing how they aren't the same because the 35r turbine housing tweaked the turbo causing it to hit the frame rail since the flange pushes the turbo out to the side more from the flange which as you see in the links I showed below there is a 6mm difference.

A 30r turbine housing is 72mm from the centerline of the hosing to the outer edge of the T3 flange and the 35r housing is 78mm from the centerline of the housing to the outer edge.

GT3076r

GT35r

A Garrett GT3071r, GT3076r and GT3082r turbine housing are all the same though (if using the same 4 bolt housing or v band in comparisons).

Either way it is not even important since they are talking about using a stainless Tial housing which is smaller and completely different.
Those are two different exhaust housings, notice how the GT35's has the conical exhaust outlet ( what ATP calls the GT housings ) while the GT30's doesn't. The conical housing flows better since it goes from 2.5" to 3" ( not exact measurements ) while the regular housing stays 2.5", or 2.75 can't remember, even though the 4 bolt flange is 3" ( it's a smaller outlet that uses the same flange as the larger outlet ).

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. You can get both of them with the same IDENTICAL housings ( just the bore is different ). Just go to the ATP website and you can see both of the housings I'm talking about. Garretts website will display one type for the GT35 and another for the GT30 but ATP will make them fit for BOTH. As a matter of fact, Garrett ships them out in basic packages ( they display the simple stuff for you to choose from ) but you can get them in just about every odd configuration you can think of to make them bolt on.

Heck, you can get a GT3582R with a T04B housing ( which is ridiculously small and garrett won't even list it ) and a GT2876R in T25 .64, with the T04S compressor cover and out the ported shroud ( which is a completely useless turbo, it's a surge monster with to little exhaust flow...it's useless yet for some reason available ).

Regardless, this is getting WAY off topic. I'm not knocking you bro...but even I was amazed at just how much CRAP is available to make just about every single turbo a bolt on swap for every single application. Even some turbos ( like the GT2876R I mentioned ) that don't really make too much sense...lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL, I knew you were going to say that because the pic was different! I looked through all the options but they all showed the same pic. Like I said, I have pics also thats shows they are different lmao.

Beating a dead horse and is not important to this thread, im done with that subject now.

On another note:

I am curious if this turbo kit will really come to life in any reasonable amount of time or if this is just talk and hype of something that will never come. I am always skeptical since I have seen way to many things talked about and never actually finished because there was said to be "not enough interest" or the pricing was to rediculous for the parts being offered.

It would certainly be amazing for anyone interested to have more options though to make big power. It truely is a shame that after all this time this engine has been around that there hasn't been a supercharger upgrade available.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
If I get an 82mm TB, will I have to revert back to stock throttle body in order to fit the turbo kit?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
LOL, I knew you were going to say that because the pic was different! I looked through all the options but they all showed the same pic. Like I said, I have pics also thats shows they are different lmao.

Beating a dead horse and is not important to this thread, im done with that subject now.

On another note:

I am curious if this turbo kit will really come to life in any reasonable amount of time or if this is just talk and hype of something that will never come. I am always skeptical since I have seen way to many things talked about and never actually finished because there was said to be "not enough interest" or the pricing was to rediculous for the parts being offered.

It would certainly be amazing for anyone interested to have more options though to make big power. It truely is a shame that after all this time this engine has been around that there hasn't been a supercharger upgrade available.
Well, regardless, I agree with your skepticism as I completely understand that the E55 market is just to small for this. The E55 is also fast enough when modded and only a few people would actually be crazy enough ( me ) and rich enough ( not me ) to want more. But my fingers sure are crossed that someone in this forum will step up to the challenge.

Originally Posted by Johncy2000
If I get an 82mm TB, will I have to revert back to stock throttle body in order to fit the turbo kit?
The only thing that will probably need to be changed is the coupler that goes to the TB.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
arent you the one that was talking about adding space shuttle hydrogen cooling technology to the SL55 and E55?? and you are worried about a few sensors that any proper tune would run within sensor paramaters
Didn't realize that hydrogen was "space shuttle cooling technology" I guess I was wrong that it's a renewable source of energy which could replace gasoline due to the similarities and only slight modifications to current combustion engines to work. I said INSPIRED by the space shuttle, and why not, it's a simple but effective cooling technique. No rocket science involved into pumping hydrogen through pipes. I also said I like innovation but mentioned the cost. If someone has enough money and a couple of M113s by all means but all I was pointing out was the risks and the complications.

No need to make it sound silly or make fun, just sharing ideas, which is after all what we're here to do.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I just wandering is there a reason you guys are against a rear mount system?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55

Second, it'll be quicker than a 5.5TT...were are talking about 600-700whp. Not the 450-500whp the 5.5TT may have.

Third, it'll still be FARRRRRRRRR cheaper than a 5.5TT. Like, less than half. Those 5.5TT's are going for WELL over $100K.

Forth, I don't like the S65, I like the E55. I'm sure others will agree. Also, even the modded S65's aren't any quicker than the modded E55's so what's the point?

word
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Different set of interests

Guess you want to drag race. I thought AMGs were for road courses, hence my suggestion of going to driving school.

I am happy you like your e55. Perhaps you have done all the sc upgrades already. Why do you not like the S600 or 65? Since you have admitted you cannot afford even the upgrade above, I guess your commentary on pricing is relative to your situation.

Good luck with your engineering project. Are you planning on recommending upgrading or modifying the suspension or running gear?

How much will the insurance costs go up?

Last edited by grane; 07-01-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In all honesty, a 4300lb sedan is not made to go around turns It will do pretty good but the big engine/hp is for an inline autobahn rocketship. For example in one test done the M5 went around the Nurburgring 17 seconds faster than the E55.

And what does insurance costs have to do with anything from changing your supercharger to turbos?

Last edited by urbamworm; 07-01-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
In all honesty, a 4300lb car is not made to go around turns The big engine/hp is for an inline autobahn rocketship.

And what does insurance costs have to do with anything from changing your supercharger to turbos?
I'm still deciding on what to say....lollll.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
In all honesty, a 4300lb car is not made to go around turns The big engine/hp is for an inline autobahn rocketship.

Like the autobahns around commonly found in or nearby US cities?

you might want to check with your insurer about modified cars.

I hope you enjoy your investment and project. To each his own.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
WHO IS IN?

OK so who is really in or has some type of interest in the kit? Lets start a countdown. We could talk turbo and size all we want but until we have a count we wont know for sure if this is going to get done or not..

1. V12Godspeed (my tech's 55K)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. V12Godspeed (my tech's 55K)
2. Johncy2000

Common guys! Think about the power we will be making. Let start doing low 10s!!

Last edited by Johncy2000; 07-01-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Common guys! BUMP
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Love to see where all this ends up. I for one would love to see a real world TT upgrade for any 55 Komp engine and see true results and reliability. The gearbox can take amazingingly crude punishment.

I drove my MB Dealers CL63TT the other day, he gave it to me for 5 days, it's dreadfully fast & fabulously smooth, but lacks that low end grunt of the 55K motors.

All that they achieved over the 55K's are really that nice and very quick 7DCT shifter. I will take delivery of my CL63TT by late September.

So at the end of the day, let's all remember that the 55K engine was born from AMG & Mclaren. Mercedes Benz, naturally just being the Parent company.
So it's a throughbred, racing engine.

I would welcome and import a bullet-proof Twin-turbo PKG, if all goes well.

Best of Luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by grane
you might want to check with your insurer about modified cars.

I hope you enjoy your investment and project. To each his own.
I am not quite sure what you are saying? Are you saying that the stuff added to the car would not be covered? If so well no crap and I don't think anyone expects it to unless you added it to your policy.

As for having the car insured, well I have full coverage on my what came as a 170 crank hp 1.8 liter Audi A4 that has a built engine that is 2 liter and has dynoed at 437 hp at the wheels, so like I said, I am confused with your talk about insurance.

And I would not call modding an investment, it is a hobby that some people put their life in to and get great enjoyment out of as well as allowing to meet a lot of people around the country or even the world that they would have never met otherwise.

Back on topic, is this kit done yet?

This is exactly what I expected, there is talk but nothing ever gets done.

We could talk turbo and size all we want but until we have a count we wont know for sure if this is going to get done or not..
In all honesty, if there is one person that wants the kit then a shop like the OP can make it and then easily make a jig to replicate it for later sales of other kits when there are people who see what it was capable of, and works well and are ready to buy it at a later date. Having a list really will do no good because 100 people will say they are interested and 5 will buy it when it is completed. If the price is right and it performs than it will sell especially with the cars getting cheaper by the day to purchase. Go by the old saying "If you build it, they will come."

Last edited by urbamworm; 07-01-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I am not quite sure what you are saying? Are you saying that the stuff added to the car would not be covered? If so well no crap and I don't think anyone expects it to unless you added it to your policy.

As for having the car insured, well I have full coverage on my what came as a 170 crank hp 1.8 liter Audi A4 that has a built engine that is 2 liter and has dynoed at 437 hp at the wheels, so like I said, I am confused with your talk about insurance.

And I would not call modding an investment, it is a hobby that some people put their life in to and get great enjoyment out of as well as allowing to meet a lot of people around the country or even the world that they would have never met otherwise.

Back on topic, is this kit done yet?

This is exactly what I expected, there is talk but nothing ever gets done.

In all honesty, if there is one person that wants the kit then a shop like the OP can make it and then easily make a jig to replicate it for later sales of other kits when there are people who see what it was capable of, and works well and are ready to buy it at a later date. Having a list really will do no good because 100 people will say they are interested and 5 will buy it when it is completed. If the price is right and it performs than it will sell especially with the cars getting cheaper by the day to purchase. Go by the old saying "If you build it, they will come."
Yup, never had insurance problems with my modded cars. All my cars have been heavily modded and the insurance would still pay in the case of accidents and what not, they just wouldn't pay for the aftermarket parts ( which is obvious imo ).
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Hee-hee! Yes, wastegate and cooling are in there - we have the cores (I think it was not quite a pound of pressure drop across the cores? have to ask Marcin again) and that's a 65AMG V12.
are those the new Borg warner turbos with the built in bov and wastegates?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SPEEDRIVEN | E55 Twin-turbo PKG (feeler)