W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY-W211 E55 FRONT PAD AND ROTOR REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
DIY-W211 E55 FRONT PAD AND ROTOR REPLACEMENT

Hi all, I just finished the front pad and rotor replacement on my E55. I thought i would do a quick writeup so you know what you'll need before going down this road. I didn't think to write it up until I was finished, but it's not difficult or hard to figure out as long as you have the right tools.

Tools needed:
Ratchet-preferably with a long handle
Lug wrench(duh)
10mm hex bit(caliper bolts)
T30 Torx bit, hardened if you can get one(rotor screw)
Pin punch for retaining pins
E10 inverted torx bit(pad sensor connector bolt)
A good size hammer(for knocking the rotor loose)
Torch(better have it just in case!)
Penetrating lube
Large flathead screwdriver

My car had 112K on it with the stock rotors, so it was pretty much a worse-case scenario. I managed to pick up 2 rotors fom Parts.com for $230 shipped to my door and a set of Akebono pads for $130ish from another online vendor. You may also want to purchase 2 pad sensors. I did not, but they're cheap.

IMPORTANT: Unplug the connector to the SBC unit!

Raise and support the car, and remove the wheel.
Remove the bolt for the pad sensor and pull the sensor out of the pad.
Drive the pins halfway out with the punch and remove the pad retraining springs. Remove the pins the rest of the way and set aside.

Use the screwdriver to carefully push the pads back and compress the pistons. If the pads are stuck, use the hammer to tap the screwdriver and get them moving. Then insert the screwdriver between each pad and the rotor to push all 4 back. You may wish to crack the bleeder screw, in which case I believe you'll need a 10mm socket or wrench. I did not and was fine.

Try to pull the pads out. If they're stuck, wait until you get the caliper off and tap them out after you flip the caliper over.
Find the two hex bolts holding the caliper to the bracket. They face the front of the car. Use the 10mm hex bot and ratchet to remove the bolt. They willl be fairly difficult to turn due to the locking compound on them.
Remove the caliper and remove the pads if you haven't done so. Support the caliper somehow so it doesn't pull on the line. I set mine on a small cardboard box that I had which worked great.

Now all that's holding the rotor in place is the T30 bolt and a fair amount of rust. Spray the bolt with the lube and heat the crap out of it with the torch before you even try to break it loose. If all else fails you may have to drill it out or get a sharp chisel and hammer to try to spin it out.
Once it's out, smack the hub of the rotor in a couple of spots very forcefully to break it loose from the hub. You do not have to beat on the backside of the rotor. Two or three strong whacks broke both of mine loose.

Clean up the hub as best you can, install the new rotor and tighten the screw back in place if you wish. You can leave it out, but if the rotor moves on the hub it'll make lugnut installation difficult.
Place the caliper over the rotor and tighten both bolts. You may wish to use some Locktite on the bolts. I don't have a torque wrench but I got them TIGHT.

Clean the pad slides on the caliper as best you can and use the supplied lube or some anti-seize sparingly on the contact points. Slide all 4 pads in, and reinstall the springs and pins, tapping them in until they bottom out.

Install the pad sensor into the pad and secure the wiring to the backside of the rotor with the bolt. Reinstall the wheel, and then repeat the process on the other side. There, you've done it!

Reconnect the SBC connector, start the car, press the brake pedal a few times, and move the sar slowly forward and back to make sure the pads are contacting the rotor. If you get any error messages, shut the car off and restart. They should go away once the SBC unit is happy.

Now go break in your pads according to the manufacturer. I took a nice writeup from StopTech and followed it. I warmed up the brakes and then did about 8 hard stops from 60 to 15mph or so in fairly quick succession then cruised down the road for a few minutes to let the brakes cool. The rotors had a nice even transfer coating on the them and the car stops like a monster!

Please feel free to add your own comments or point out where I may have given incorrect information. I hope this helps!

Izzy

Last edited by izzyz28; 07-09-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two 957 Cayenne GTS's (black and silver), Duc749 (dark), departed '03 E55
Very nice write-up. Seems similar to a Porsche pad and rotor replacement I've done. I'm no mechanic and I found this job to be very easy. Thanks for the write-up.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
SBC pump does not need to be unplugged PERIOD. I too just changed all pads and front rotors. I was advised by my MB tech that as long as the doors are not touched you will be fine changing out the pads. He calls it sleep mode, when the car is turned off after a min and the light in the dash goes off you are good to go.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
SBC pump does not need to be unplugged PERIOD.
Only a fool would NOT disconnect the SBC, There is NOTHING to be gained by not disconnecting the pump and HUGE issues if the car wakes up and the calipers are off and the pads are out.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Only a fool would NOT disconnect the SBC, There is NOTHING to be gained by not disconnecting the pump and HUGE issues if the car wakes up and the calipers are off and the pads are out.
+1 that would be correct procedure.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 PM

2004 E55 AMG
It's very easy to forget and open a door to turn the wheels the other way or grap your new brake pads out of the car(or have the dog step on the remote). I like to think I'm not an idiot, but a mistake like that could cost you fingers and a nightmare when all of your pistons come shooting out of the calipers. It takes literally 10 seconds to pop the hood and disconnect the SBC unit. I even started mine with the plug disconnected to turn the wheels the other way. I got all kinds of errors on the cluster, but they all went away when I was finished and the pump was plugged back in and the car restarted.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Two 957 Cayenne GTS's (black and silver), Duc749 (dark), departed '03 E55
I went searching for a diagram about deactivating the SBC and found this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14094997/M...ke-Control-SBC

However it doesn't actually indicate how to disconnect the pump. I haven't taken the time to go look under the hood either, but was curious by what means you are disconnecting the pump? Pulling a fuse, actually pulling the connector off the pump? Sorry for the knob questions, but I just want to make sure I'm knowledgable on this topic.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Again, was advised by someone in the know. Left my wheels straight , locked the doors and keys in the house. Two hours later job done....... No issues. Disconnection is not necessary.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
Again, was advised by someone in the know. Left my wheels straight , locked the doors and keys in the house. Two hours later job done....... No issues. Disconnection is not necessary.
I would consider myself as "someone in the know" and if you can't deactivate the SBC system with a SDS, like I always do, then unplugging it is satisfactory.

NEVER NEVER NEVER work on the SBC without doing these 2 things. While putting it into sleep mode and putting the keys in the house will also work, there are intangibles and tangibles. The tangibles you can control(deactivating with SDS or disconnecting the connector) or the intangibles you can't control because you chose not to do either of the above 2 items(someone waking up the car and your fingers getting FLATTENED).

Better safe than sorry! IMHO
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by s4treg

However it doesn't actually indicate how to disconnect the pump. I haven't taken the time to go look under the hood either, but was curious by what means you are disconnecting the pump? Pulling a fuse, actually pulling the connector off the pump? Sorry for the knob questions, but I just want to make sure I'm knowledgable on this topic.

There is a huge black connector on the back side of the unit. Pull up on the release at the top as you slide the connector back. Make sure you pull it all the way up and out of the way, don't just unseat it. You may have to wiggle the wiring a little to get it to come out(the harness is stiff), but it takes literally five seconds.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM

2004 E55 AMG / 95 Mustang GT (Highly Modified)
Thumbs up

Thanks greatly for the write-up.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Good write up, though did you really install new pads on used rotors with out turning/ cutting them?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Glad I read the SBC needs to be disabled when doing this. Never would have guessed the brakes are applied when you unlock, or open the door. I'm sure there's some reasoning behind this, perhaps safety, maybe just a system check? Wondering why it does this though. As I said, never would have expected it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GRAFH
Good write up, though did you really install new pads on used rotors with out turning/ cutting them?
Sure, why not? The rotors had acceptable runout and some wear(at 80K when I first did the pads), but there was no compelling reason for me to replace or cut them at the time. Of course it is always best to do so, but not always necessary.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by s4treg

Have the whole list

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/index.htm
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM

2005 E55 AMG
New pads require a flat smooth surface to work properly. Worn rotors with grooves will cause premature and uneven wear on the new pads. Risking the pad to wear unevenly from top to bottom. This can cause the pad backing plate to grind in to the rotor. Also the pads will not work as efficiently compared to if they were installed with cut or new rotors.

Originally Posted by izzyz28
Sure, why not? The rotors had acceptable runout and some wear(at 80K when I first did the pads), but there was no compelling reason for me to replace or cut them at the time. Of course it is always best to do so, but not always necessary.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Have xtra new front set of akebono pads EUR983... $130 shipped
Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e46 m3, w211 e55
thanks for the DIY. After installing new pads the cluster went nuts w RED warning about breaks. Is it safe to take it out and drive it? How do you reset the brake lights? I assume this is because i disconnected the SBC when installing the pads.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
BOSSSSSS!!!! Thanks for that!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e46 m3, w211 e55
Originally Posted by gazosnic
thanks for the DIY. After installing new pads the cluster went nuts w RED warning about breaks. Is it safe to take it out and drive it? How do you reset the brake lights? I assume this is because i disconnected the SBC when installing the pads.
Nevernind. Goes away on its own.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG
Nice write up izzy, thanks very much!!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
Izzy,

Thanks for the thread, I thought it was a great write up!!