Polished Valve Covers.. Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Polished Valve Covers.. Pics

As an alternate to powder coating, I polished my valve covers. The casting quality of these valve covers is very good and they polish very quickly. As most of the valve cover is hidden under the air boxes etc, it does not have to be polished in its entirety.

An option if you wanted to increase the aesthetic appeal of your engine bay.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Wow, nice job!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
That's really good. How long did it take you to do that much? What did you use to polish?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL500
Could you share with us how you did this? What tools, polish, etc?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Looks really nice, good work! I polished in the intake manifold on my last car and really liked the look.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Nice, I like that look!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Looks insane. To do, just need a dremel too or electric drill, sanding wheel package from autozone. Start with rough wool wheel, and finish with smoothest wheel. I have polished a lot of exhausts over the years, and it will have a mirror finish in no time. Great job homey
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 K2
If you want to improve or increase the aesthetics of your engine the polished valve cover is the way to go. Plus you can do this at home, if you are bored on a weekend.

Powder coating is an alternative ONLY if done properly, to have it done properly would be pricey and unfortunately most places will hang the covers on a wire and blast them with the powder paint - which is a "no-no". The E55 valve covers require significant prep before powder coating and the raised surfaces that have the coils mounted as well as the complete underside should not be powder coated and the circular flat edges where the Torx bolts sit. The two (2) flat tops \ covers of the right and left valve covers that have the breather hoses should be powder coated separately as well and of course extensive masking to prevent over spray finding its way inside any part of the valve cover what so ever.

Back to the topic at hand, everything you need to polish your valve covers is in the picture below.

Time per side: 1hr - 1.5hrs (so 3-hrs total tops for both sides)
1) You need a powerful 4.5-in angle grinder, a $30 Harbor Freight special is not going to cut it. I am using a 10-amp, 11,000-rpm Dewalt which is plenty powerful.

2) Two clay compounds, an abrasive to cut into the casting (the brown brick in my picture) and the green brick is *only* for the final polish to give the brilliant \ mirror finish. $10 for both bricks online. Each brick will need its own wool 10-in buffing pad, they are $4-5 each at Harbor Freight (don't forget your 20% off coupon!).

3) Die Grinder with a fine woven pad to remove the casting flaws and prep the valve cover. These Pads are $5.99 per pack at Harbor Freight (don't forget your 20% off coupon!). You will probably burn through 2 or3.

4) An air compressor of course (decent tank size) to run the die grinder.

5) Acetone and shop towels to wipe off any clay residue left after the buffing process including wiping the insider of the valve cover. Alternatively you can spray Brake Parts Cleaner on the insider of the valve cover to remove any dust from the buffing process and then use compressed air to blow it out to make sure the underside of valve cover are perfectly clean. I would like to emphasis cleanliness and there has to be no possibility of contamination of your engine oil once the polished valve covers are re-installed. Remember the dust created from the buffing process is a physical mixture of clay and aluminum \ alloy (so get a breathing mask too and some latex gloves).

5) To finish the job some Mother's Aluminum and a very soft micro-fiber towel.

Sequence of steps:
1) Die grinder with fine woven pad until the surface is flat flat flat and all the casting inconsistencies are 100% removed.

2) Using the brown clay compound to remove the fine scratches caused by the die grinder then the green clay compound for the polish.

3) Acetone and shop towels \ brake parts cleaner and compressed air to remove dust and residue(s)

4) Mother Mag polish and micro-fiber towel.

5) New OEM Bruss valve cover gaskets ($40 shipped)

If you already own an air compressor, a good angle grinder and the air tools listed. You can do this entire job for $40 (give or take)
easily.

After the job is done, maintenance of the luster will only require the occasional use of the Mothers polish.

Be safe and take your time.
Yasin
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Very clean.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
You need to seal the ally or it will tarnish pretty quick.. I did the "polish" or more a swirl finish and after a month or two they were a dull grey.

Looks incredible but you need to seal the finish.

I ended up painting mine with silver caliper paint
Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by stevebez
You need to seal the ally or it will tarnish pretty quick.. I did the "polish" or more a swirl finish and after a month or two they were a dull grey.

Looks incredible but you need to seal the finish.

I ended up painting mine with silver caliper paint
Steve - I figured someone would mention a "seal". I typically use a final liquid polish that uses a petroleum distillate (I wish I knew the actual chemical) whereby if used approx. twice per month, will not tarnish or "grey". I have been polishing metals since 1996, so have experimented with products that work and those that don't.

All the aluminum wheel lips that I re-finish never require a seal or clear coat either.