W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPS and ABS Malfunction

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
EPS and ABS Malfunction

Done a lot of research on a lot of topics trying to get my 05' E55 AMG.

I am getting EPS/ABS Malfunction on at same time. Also, when it does happen, the steering gets real tight and the brakes get a little soft.

I just put new tire on and didn't catch until today the they put 275/35-19 on the rear instead of 275/30-19.

Teck is saying the tires are throwing the car off? (which I do understand ESP traction control).

I drove 600 mile before the malfunction light ever showed..

Any one have the same issue?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by Williamb
Done a lot of research on a lot of topics trying to get my 05' E55 AMG.

I am getting EPS/ABS Malfunction on at same time. Also, when it does happen, the steering gets real tight and the brakes get a little soft.

I just put new tire on and didn't catch until today the they put 275/35-19 on the rear instead of 275/30-19.

Teck is saying the tires are throwing the car off? (which I do understand ESP traction control).

I drove 600 mile before the malfunction light ever showed..

Any one have the same issue?
You need to pull the codes (preferably with DAS)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
You might want to check the steering angle sensor
Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Which move point A to point B.
Well,

Same story goes here. My car is fine once I start her up n drove her around 30 Kim's but when it reaches to 40 or 50 Kms lights pop up. ABS n ESP. When it happen the streeing wheel is a bit tighter than before n breaks become soft. I posted the issue on SL 55 n no reply so far.

So here is what I learn from here, it could be a break light switch, speed sensor (I doubt that), streeing wheel sensor ( I doubt that as well), fuses (I checked n no issues) or else we r looking at traction control unit (don't know how much will it be). Those lights r buzzing me off n driving me crazy. In a place where I live we don't have official MB dealers, there r only 2 who r dealing with MB here n they claim that I need to change the ABS unit. Being stuck with the lights for week n still no luck.

The guy who I m working with deleted the errors codes but like I mention above. Car is fine for the first run. It occurred after I drive it. Pls let me know if u found the solution.

I drive sl55 btw.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Forgot to mention I run 22" at rear n 20" at front. According to my tech said this ABS n ESP problems is nothing to do with wheels size.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
IMO the wheel size is causing the problem.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Is it? I will try to change with the normal size n see if it's work. I have a wide body. So the offset will be difference tho. Can I put 22"? My car has factory high adjustment. So do I still need a lowering module? I m totally new here. Thanks for helping.

One question tho, why the streeing wheel become tight n braking become soft? Just because of the wheels size n it made ABS maltfunction, from ABS it cause the streeing wheel n break to unstable? Thanks for educate me btw.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM

2004 e320 SW, 2001 e320 SW
I have the same problem, ABS and EPS malfunction, the car drives great, no other problem... I got battery malfunction, visit workshop as well, but I exchanged the battery control module and that fixed that problem...
Old 05-24-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
You need to check codes, but it could certainly be the mismatched tire (or a million other things). Wheel size doesn't matter, but tire circumference certainly does. The system monitors the wheel speeds and compares the to detect if a tire is spinning or sliding. Different size tire means different wheel speed. You're only off by a little, though. It often takes more difference than you have to set a code (and turn on the light).
Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Any car with offset wheels will have this happen the computers are programmed with a certain speed the wheels have to be going when its at a certain speed. I know theres a way to chnage it but what i always tell people is if changing rims just make sure the overall circumference matches the old set. Had this happen on 2 of my buddies E55s and afyer we changed tire size to match the height of the old set boom problem solved.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I had 245/25/19 fronts and 285/35/19's out back and it gave me ABS/ESP light steering got stiff as well as the suspension. It happened after a few seconds of driving and then goes away when you first start the car. It was the speed sensors in my case. I went back to a 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 out back and the problem went away immediately. I had that same scenario in my E550 as well but in that case same symptoms but it was a steering angle sensor, when the weather would get hot it would act up. Once you hook up a programmer to it, it should read speed sensor as one of the codes. My mechanic was convinced it was my SBC system.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM

2005 SL55
I am having the same issue. EPS and ABS issue. Lifted the car - ran through a car wash, exited car wash, lowered car - boom eps. car wouldn't go about 5 miles per hour. Couldn't figure it out. Tried driving, no use, wont go above 5MPH. Turn car off. Start again - car won't even turn on in the engine start position. Fan just runs and all electrical's work. OBD2 scanner has communication error, i'm totally lost and cannot figure out what to do. Mechanics are not helping me AT ALL. I really am lost here and not trying to lose an arm and a leg figuring this out when it's probably just a stupid sensor.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CMGSL55
I am having the same issue. EPS and ABS issue. Lifted the car - ran through a car wash, exited car wash, lowered car - boom eps. car wouldn't go about 5 miles per hour. Couldn't figure it out. Tried driving, no use, wont go above 5MPH. Turn car off. Start again - car won't even turn on in the engine start position. Fan just runs and all electrical's work. OBD2 scanner has communication error, i'm totally lost and cannot figure out what to do. Mechanics are not helping me AT ALL. I really am lost here and not trying to lose an arm and a leg figuring this out when it's probably just a stupid sensor.
If the problems occurred immediately after taking the car through the car wash, you most likely have water infiltration into the SAM and/or ECU (Motor Electronics). The later W211 E55 came with two covers for the front SAM/ECU electronics; a hard cover over the box plus a soft rubber cover that was installed over the hard cover. I'm not familiar with the SL's electronics under the hood but inspect connectors, motor electronics, and SAM for water infiltration. Happened to me once; I literally found 1/4" of water in my ECU. You can be assured I'll never have the covers removed again and I refuse to take my car through a high-pressure car wash.

Here are my notes from my maintenance log. This was four years ago while I was learning the hard way about the fuel pumps relay and troubleshooting the fuel system (thus the covers off of the SAM and ECU):
Note: on afternoon of 14 June, extremely heavy rainstorm (2” in one hour) hit, covers were off of front SAM, rainwater filled SAM and ECU connectors. Disassembled ECU (1/4” of water inside the housing!) and SAM as far as possible, disconnected all connectors, used WD-40 and “Safety Wash 2” circuit board cleaner to remove moisture. Let dry in sun, reassembled, and car started with no error messages. Ran DAS quick test on system with no Digital Trouble Codes. Note to self: the 2005 W211 does *not* have a water catch tray under the hood air vent like the 1999 W210.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
IThe later W211 E55 came with two covers for the front SAM/ECU electronics; a hard cover over the box plus a soft rubber cover that was installed over the hard cover.

I'd love to see these. I was actually impressed at how little water proofing there was for some of the electrical areas in these cars
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
If the problems occurred immediately after taking the car through the car wash, you most likely have water infiltration into the SAM and/or ECU (Motor Electronics). The later W211 E55 came with two covers for the front SAM/ECU electronics; a hard cover over the box plus a soft rubber cover that was installed over the hard cover. I'm not familiar with the SL's electronics under the hood but inspect connectors, motor electronics, and SAM for water infiltration. Happened to me once; I literally found 1/4" of water in my ECU. You can be assured I'll never have the covers removed again and I refuse to take my car through a high-pressure car wash.

Here are my notes from my maintenance log. This was four years ago while I was learning the hard way about the fuel pumps relay and troubleshooting the fuel system (thus the covers off of the SAM and ECU):
Note: on afternoon of 14 June, extremely heavy rainstorm (2” in one hour) hit, covers were off of front SAM, rainwater filled SAM and ECU connectors. Disassembled ECU (1/4” of water inside the housing!) and SAM as far as possible, disconnected all connectors, used WD-40 and “Safety Wash 2” circuit board cleaner to remove moisture. Let dry in sun, reassembled, and car started with no error messages. Ran DAS quick test on system with no Digital Trouble Codes. Note to self: the 2005 W211 does *not* have a water catch tray under the hood air vent like the 1999 W210.
What he said. If no one messes with the covers they're usually trouble free but the covers need to be put back in place (properly). If the fan is running at full speed that typically means that it cannot communicate with either the ME (ECU) or ac control unit. Possibly just the ME on older vehicles like the w211.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by FunkTron
I'd love to see these. I was actually impressed at how little water proofing there was for some of the electrical areas in these cars

Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
This is from another thread I posted this info in about the covers.
If the 5th pic doesn’t show completely click it then it should show up fully.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by tlambert

The cover for the fuse panel on the drivers side, not sure if that is a model year thing but my car came with it. Sorry I don’t have part number for it. But google or MB dealer parts dept should be able to find it. There should be 2 clips and 2 L shaped clip holders that attach to the pinch weld under the rubber seal for both sides.

The passenger side cover I’ve seen on some and not on some. I just assumed that they got left off sometimes when the car went in for service. Either way I like the cover being on there. It helps keep debris out and make for a nicer finished look.

MB # 211-832-07-08 for the passenger side cover.

This is is the only pic I have at the moment with both panels on. You may have to zoom in some to see the details.

Originally Posted by KAMG
So it looks like the cabin filter cover is for 06 only. Fuse box/brake fluid resevoir cover is 05 and 06. 03 and 04 have neither. That explains why I've never seen the clip holders for the cabin filter cover on my 05 lol. The nut covers are new to me, weird how most people don't have them. I think I'm gonna pick some up. Thanks for the info tlambert

KAMG thanks fir the clarification. Where did you find the info?

Mine is an 05 also and there were no L tabs on the right side either.
My sons is an 04 and I don't think he had the drivers side either.

The nut covers could be from a different model MB. My son found them, He is a tech at a MB dealer.
Originally Posted by KAMG
I asked a friend (AMGMeister on Youtube) who has an 04. He's super knowledgeable with these cars. Him and another buddy who has an 03 are local to me. They don't have either covers. I also know another local guy with an 05 and we both only have the cover over the fuse box/brake resevoir.

I'll be home on the weekend so I can look into the EPC and double check. Your 05 had no tabs on the fuse box side?

Ah. Yeah I've seen his vids. No tabs on the passenger side on my 05. I had the drivers side panel.
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Good stuff, Tim. Thanks for posting the photos. I like the look of the passenger side cover. And I really, really like the Volkswagon van!

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-18-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I hope the pics and info will help others in covering those areas. I like it mainly because it’s a cleaner look.

Thanks Barry, the bus is a 1966 21 window deluxe. It’s a project for sure.