Sponsored by:

WEISTEC: Setting the record straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
According to Weistec the 6.2 system uses the identical supercharger head unit and identical intercooler core as the newly released 55k system. I wonder what the IATs are on that 139mph CLK?

There are a few differences in the context however.
One is that the 6.2 kits (which cost double the 55 kits) come with the complete intercooler system already, while the 55s either use the stock 55 system, or use an optional upgraded trunk tank system, or use whatever mechanical potpourri the customer comes up with.

The other difference is the plenum in which the IC core sits. Perhaps it is identical, but it appears at least slightly different, and there is a possibility that one flows superior air around the IC core than the other due to more or less depth of the available real estate in the engine block's valley.

Originally Posted by gaspam
yes and they have the fastest m156 out there at 10.01, which makes it the 2nd fastest mercedes out there on the 1/4, second only to the renntech slr, which 1/2 the people on this forum think is on NOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbqTCxkyDY
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Aussiesrt
IM WITH JERRY ON THIS ONE,,, i have just signed up here on forums. i am a ls1/ hemi tuner... i have heard it all before,, everyone blames the tuner instantly.. guilty till proven innocent,, what you people don't understand is , it takes years and 100's of thousands of dollars to build a shop and gain reputation only for it to be damaged in one post including our names, unless you have proof SHUT YOUR MOUTHS !!!
why ? because you all assume the engine is perfect on the inside because why ? you service it ?? give me a break ,, i have seen engines destructed because of a broken cam pin ( 4 dollar part) i have seen brand new engines spin bearings, i have seen injector drivers in ecu's have interfearence and seize signal after 5000rpms ( IN A FERRARI) and melt a piston,, NO TUNER ON THIS EARTH wants to break an engine and we **** our pants when were doing it too. we take every precaution to creep up on a tune ,, we dont just throw figure on a laptop and pray,
im sorry im usually a easy going guy but this has pissed me off

manny
Nice first post
The following users liked this post:
frasers4th (12-15-2019)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear what you're saying, the tuner is the one who gets the finger pointed at him because often, the tuner is the one brought in as a third party. For example an entire build could occur all under one roof from the assembly of an engine to the install, but there are much fewer tuners than there are mechanics. So the super dooper merlin the motherfawkken magic tuner is brought in to shake his laptop full of sparkling tuning elixir on the powertrain, so when disaster strikes the nproblem clearly has to be the guy with the voodoo computer. He got im some bad juju

Clearly it can't be my fault so therefore it must be the tune.

Not to say there aren't a fair share of zombie tuners out there looking to cash in. You say you're an Ls1 guy, how many times have you seen this :

someone is looking to get a car tuned, and the Rent-A-Hero tuner comes in with an HP or EFIL tune he grabbed from a repository that was a similar combination, sets the CI and injector size, and makes a dyno hit. Rent-A-Hero looks at the little AFR squiggly line and sees it goes too low or too high in this spot or that, and changes the target AFR table in the other direction to band aid the corrections into pulling the AFR into the safe zone instead of writing a VE table because that requires lots of changes to other crazy screens which he might not know what to do with. Then he plays with the timing at peak power until it makes the highest number show on the nasty old shop computer screen, collects his reward and takes a bow, signs some **** on the groupies and dips out.

However next month when the weather changes and the car actually needs the correction values he just borrowed to tune,or a sensor fails and correction goes flat, all of a sudden things aren't seeming so glorious in his kingdom anymore.

IM WITH JERRY ON THIS ONE,,, i have just signed up here on forums. i am a ls1/ hemi tuner... i have heard it all before,, everyone blames the tuner instantly.. guilty till proven innocent,, what you people don't understand is , it takes years and 100's of thousands of dollars to build a shop and gain reputation only for it to be damaged in one post including our names, unless you have proof SHUT YOUR MOUTHS !!!
why ? because you all assume the engine is perfect on the inside because why ? you service it ?? give me a break ,, i have seen engines destructed because of a broken cam pin ( 4 dollar part) i have seen brand new engines spin bearings, i have seen injector drivers in ecu's have interfearence and seize signal after 5000rpms ( IN A FERRARI) and melt a piston,, NO TUNER ON THIS EARTH wants to break an engine and we **** our pants when were doing it too. we take every precaution to creep up on a tune ,, we dont just throw figure on a laptop and pray,

manny
Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
According to Weistec the 6.2 system uses the identical supercharger head unit and identical intercooler core as the newly released 55k system. I wonder what the IATs are on that 139mph CLK?

One is that the 6.2 kits (which cost double the 55 kits) come with the complete intercooler system already, while the 55s either use the stock 55 system, or use an optional upgraded trunk tank system, or use whatever mechanical potpourri the customer comes up with.

The other difference is the plenum in which the IC core sits. Perhaps it is identical, but it appears at least slightly different, and there is a possibility that one flows superior air around the IC core than the other due to more or less depth of the available real estate in the engine block's valley.
One major difference we are forgetting is that the 55 kit comes at 17psi where as the 63 kit comes in at around 8-10 because of the 63 compression. Also the IAT's won't scale directly due to the added volume that the 63 engines need. It is in a completely different operating range than in the case of our motors. Of course ecambpell's car maybe at 17psi or more, but still the data is probably not apples to apples due to the volume differences. Too bad whipple doesn't provide their compressor maps or else we could see/guess where they are both at...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're right, the compressor on the 6.2 could be spinning the same rpm making 8-10 psi due to displacement and different cylinder heads, or it could be considerably less rpm. Then there's the variable of heating air just from being compressed at a higher pressure, who knows.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
...while the 55s either use the stock 55 system, or use an optional upgraded trunk tank system, or use whatever mechanical potpourri the customer comes up with.
The Weistec kit comes with a new intercooler like the 6.2s however it does tie into the factory coolant lines as the OEM does.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are mistaken.

Edit- you might just be confused as to what I was talking about. The 6.2 kit comes with the complete intercooling system from a reservoir to the hoses to the front mount heat exchanger to the coolant pump and relays. The 55 kit comes with only the supercharger and it's encapsulated IC core in that regard.

Originally Posted by msheredy
The Weistec kit comes with a new intercooler like the 6.2s however it does tie into the factory coolant lines as the OEM does.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 02-13-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Nice to see Weistec post into this thread. A quality company will always stand behind what they sell. The op does have good points but not easily understood. Trying to keep emotion out with a blown engine is impossible. Should we take up a collection........
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
yes and they have the fastest m156 out there at 10.01, which makes it the 2nd fastest mercedes out there on the 1/4, second only to the renntech slr, which 1/2 the people on this forum think is on NOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbqTCxkyDY
I was there when the SLR ran. It is NOT on nitrous.

manny
Welcome! Very well said!
Originally Posted by sack5000
. Should we take up a collection........
We should. But some clowns would rather bump their gums instead of helping the op. I remember all the help I got when I blew my trans. So I will ALWAYS return the favor.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sack5000
Nice to see Weistec post into this thread. A quality company will always stand behind what they sell. The op does have good points but not easily understood. Trying to keep emotion out with a blown engine is impossible. Should we take up a collection........
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
We should. But some clowns would rather bump their gums instead of helping the op. I remember all the help I got when I blew my trans. So I will ALWAYS return the favor.
I've received loads of support, advice and good wishes not only on the forum but also via PMs. To the members concerned

Anyone whose been here knows how crippling a blown motor can be financially (esp when one doesn't have access in one's home town to the parts and skills required to do a proper restoration). RBJ and sack5000, the invitation to take up a collection warms the heart brothas. . However, while I'll take all the advice and guidance on offer here, I would not be comfortable at all having others chip in financially. I took the decision to play, so I must pay. I'm pleased to say that Weistec and I are "playing speaks" again. Hopefully I'll be up and running before long.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
I was there when the SLR ran. It is NOT on nitrous.
i am one of that 1/2 that didn't think it was on nitrous
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by ajm55
I'm pleased to say that Weistec and I are "playing speaks" again. Hopefully I'll be up and running before long.
That is awesome news! I know you will be stronger than ever when it's all done. Don't hesitate to call me if you need anything.
i am one of that 1/2 that didn't think it was on nitrous
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 AM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon

manny

Of course no tuner wants to pop an engine but what separates an average tuning company from a good one is how they deal with the situation when things do go wrong. Weistec's posts on this forum in response to this made me think that they just wanted to blame everyone else.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 AM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by ajm55
I've received loads of support, advice and good wishes not only on the forum but also via PMs. To the members concerned

Anyone whose been here knows how crippling a blown motor can be financially (esp when one doesn't have access in one's home town to the parts and skills required to do a proper restoration). RBJ and sack5000, the invitation to take up a collection warms the heart brothas. . However, while I'll take all the advice and guidance on offer here, I would not be comfortable at all having others chip in financially. I took the decision to play, so I must pay. I'm pleased to say that Weistec and I are "playing speaks" again. Hopefully I'll be up and running before long.
Good luck with everything, good to see that Weistec have come to there senses and "playing speaks" again.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SavMan
Good luck with everything, good to see that Weistec have come to there senses and "playing speaks" again.
Much appreciated SavMan
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM

MB
You are mistaken.

Edit- you might just be confused as to what I was talking about. The 6.2 kit comes with the complete intercooling system from a reservoir to the hoses to the front mount heat exchanger to the coolant pump and relays. The 55 kit comes with only the supercharger and it's encapsulated IC core in that regard.
Nope not confused at all LOL. Perhaps I was just thrown off when you said this

In this context I took it as you thought the factory intercooler was still utilized thats all.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
08 ML63, 00 ML320
I have a strong feeling OE Tuning is just spreading propaganda. Yes there is a risk of blowing an engine as with any blower. Sometimes the user wants more boost then is recommended and these things happen. I only have a ECU Tune from Weistec on ML63 and its amazing, but if a buyer of a Weistec Blower makes the mistake to do whats not recommended by Weistec they cant point fingers at Weistec when they are to blame. Weistec needs to join this thread and set things unbiasedly straight. Look at their vehicles and that should be enough proof.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I hate to sound cold hearted on this, but I need to speak my opinion.

Do you think you guys are the first and only people to put a bigger supercharger/turbo on your car and then suffer engine failure? I'm so confused by this. Unless this package FULLY AND COMPLETELY installed, tuned, and guaranteed X,XXX amount of miles by Weistec I do not even see where your blame is pointed.

You modified a very expensive German engine with after market parts to increase performance. For whatever reason it failed. Unless the rotors in the supercharger came apart and fell in to your engine I see no reason Weistec would take any responsibility.

YOU TOOK THE RISK OF HAVING OTHER PEOPLE MODIFY/TUNE YOUR CAR. Do you think the tuner would admit if they made a mistake? Do you think a mechanic would admit if they made a mistake? I have seen well known tuners make horrible mistakes that have cost their customers their engine. Do you think for one second they let any one except the small circle around them know? Absolutely not. They passed blame on just like every one else does when in reality it was no ones fault but their own. At the end of the day they are not going to eat the cost. Every place/tuner that owns a dyno that I have ever seen has a waiver stating there is NO RESPONSIBILITY on their part if your engine fails. Even if it is their fault.

I've been building race/street cars for a very long time. It feels like the people in the European genre do not understand the risk that comes along with this game. They are so quick to place blame on everyone, but themselves. This can turn in to a very expensive game very quick. Most of the cars I work with have $5-10,000 long blocks. These Benz/BMW/Porsche long blocks can exceed $50,000 to replace from the dealer before labor. Of course your going to **** a brick when they fail. You should not modify your car if you do not want the risk. Not a tune, not an exhaust, not a damn thing if you do not want the responsibility. Then when you drive your car like its a race car and it breaks like a race car you stand a chance to have the dealer cover some of the cost. That is if your lucky...

It's funny how people like to point fingers at the installers, then the tuner, and then the manufacturer when in reality they have very little idea about what has really been done/not done to their car. I have seen a person ruin a $20,000 Supra build because they didn't scale the injectors before they started the car for the first time and blamed the whole ****ing universe except their own stupid self.

Ask Mercedes what they will say if you ask them to warranty an engine (BONE STOCK) failure out of warranty. Next question will be "Well why did my bone stock car fail with only XX,XXX miles on it????" They can give you whatever reason, but at the end of the day you are the one that is SOL.
Remember this is coming from a multi-billion dollar company. If you think an aftermarket performance company worth a fraction of a true corporation is going to cover your expense, your ****ing crazy.

All I'm saying is think it through before you modify your German car. Fully understand exactly what you are doing and the risk you are taking before you do it.

Last edited by layzie12g; 03-07-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
08 ML63, 00 ML320
Originally Posted by layzie12g

Do you think you guys are the first and only people to put a bigger supercharger/turbo on your car and then suffer engine failure? I'm so confused by this. Unless this package FULLY AND COMPLETELY installed, tuned, and guaranteed X,XXX amount of miles by Weistec I do not even see where your blame is pointed.

You modified a very expensive German engine with after market parts to increase performance. For whatever reason it failed. Unless the rotors in the supercharger came apart and fell in to your engine I see no reason Weistec would take any responsibility.

YOU TOOK THE RISK OF HAVING OTHER PEOPLE MODIFY/TUNE YOUR CAR. Do you think the tuner would admit if they made a mistake? Do you think a mechanic would admit if they made a mistake? I have seen well known tuners make horrible mistakes that have cost their customers their engine. Do you think for one second they let any one except the small circle around them know? Absolutely not. They passed blame on just like every one else does when in reality it was no ones fault but their own. At the end of the day they are not going to eat the cost. Every place/tuner that owns a dyno that I have ever seen has a waiver stating there is NO RESPONSIBILITY on their part if your engine fails. Even if it is their fault.

I've been building race/street cars for a very long time. It feels like the people in the European genre do not understand the risk that comes along with this game. They are so quick to place blame on everyone, but themselves. This can turn in to a very expensive game very quick. Most of the cars I work with have $5-10,000 long blocks. These Benz/BMW/Porsche long blocks can exceed $50,000 to replace from the dealer before labor. Of course your going to **** a brick when they fail. You should not modify your car if you do not want the risk. Not a tune, not an exhaust, not a damn thing if you do not want the responsibility. Then when you drive your car like its a race car and it breaks like a race car you stand a chance to have the dealer cover some of the cost. That is if your lucky...

It's funny how people like to point fingers at the installers, then the tuner, and then the manufacturer when in reality they have very little idea about what has really been done/not done to their car. I have seen a person ruin a $20,000 Supra build because they didn't scale the injectors before they started the car for the first time and blamed the whole ****ing universe except their own stupid self.

Ask Mercedes what they will say if you ask them to warranty an engine (BONE STOCK) failure out of warranty. Next question will be "Well why did my bone stock car fail with only XX,XXX miles on it????" They can give you whatever reason, but at the end of the day you are the one that is SOL.
Remember this is coming from a multi-billion dollar company. If you think an aftermarket performance company worth a fraction of a true corporation is going to cover your expense, your ****ing crazy.

All I'm saying is think it through before you modify your German car. Fully understand exactly what you are doing and the risk you are taking before you do it.

Couldn't have been said any better
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Smile

Hallelujah, PTL, great points and they should be well taken by all. Come on guys, since Weistec is the only real and reliable power upgrade that most people are satisfied with, why continue to cry over your own failure to manage the process correctly.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55

and how many e55s are running with this kit?

Last edited by skratch77; 03-08-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce

.......I think you might not be familiar with the Mercedes Benz tuner community. Your impression of Mecedes Benz owners is uninformed. Many more things go wrong that owners don't report. Intact the culture here is to keep quiet, not complain and to protect the reputation, of the tuner. Your conclusions are the opposite if what actually is taking place. I know people who have spent tens of thousands to get their cars modified and never had it do e right and they keep it quiet and don't speak.

........the problem as I see it is that with exception of about 2 or 3 companies, we don't really have tuners. Incidentally Weistec is one if the better ones. But what happens in the Mercedes Benz world is that we have vendors who sell a few trinklets here and there and greatly exaggerate their abilities. Combine that with an expensive German car and and an owner who e levers results, and you get disasters. This is the problem. There constantly vendors coming on the forums hawking one unproven product or the other. There have been a million twin turbo projects that never went to completion. Behind each of those is an owner who got the short end of the stick and you never hear them complain. This is the real story of the Mercedes Benz tuner scene, not what you posted

........the more valid point is to the tuners and shops. Mercedes Benz cars are not ones where you can wing it because you did this before on a mustang. Custom fabrication is not the problem. Tuning is. Don't wing it. If you don't already know what you are doing, please close shop. Owners are now going to be more vocal. That is a good thing.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 03-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......I think you might not be familiar with the Mercedes Benz tuner community. Your impression of Mecedes Benz owners is uninformed. Many more things go wrong that owners don't report. Intact the culture here is to keep quiet, not complain and to protect the reputation, of the tuner. Your conclusions are the opposite if what actually is taking place. I know people who have spent tens of thousands to get their cars modified and never had it do e right and they keep it quiet and don't speak.

........the problem as I see it is that with exception of about 2 or 3 companies, we don't really have tuners. Incidentally Weistec is one if the better ones. But what happens in the Mercedes Benz world is that we have vendors who sell a few trinklets here and there and greatly exaggerate their abilities. Combine that with an expensive German car and and an owner who e levers results, and you get disasters. This is the problem. There constantly vendors coming on the forums hawking one unproven product or the other. There have been a million twin turbo projects that never went to completion. Behind each of those is an owner who got the short end of the stick and you never hear them complain. This is the real story of the Mercedes Benz tuner scene, not what you posted

........the more valid point is to the tuners and shops. Mercedes Benz cars are not ones where you can wing it because you did this before on a mustang. Custom fabrication is not the problem. Tuning is. Don't wing it. If you don't already know what you are doing, please close shop. Owners are now going to be more vocal. That is a good thing.

Ted
Back to bashing I see. You went silent on that twin turbo build thread for some reason. I do agree there's a lot to be desired as far as tuning goes but why all the bashing? ANYTIME you mod a car there's a risk right? The problem is you expect to have a extremely modde car but at the same time it needs to drive exactly as stock and behave the same way. Sorry that's not going to happen. OEM's spend hundreds of millions to do that. Maybe you've just had bad luck with your choices it happens to all of us. No need to continue trash talking all the tuners and people trying to make parts for these cars. No offense but the problem I see with you is you think writing a check buys anything you want. Doesn't always work like that. Your the kind of guy I would hustle every weekend because you thought your money bought you better stuff......
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

Ted
Ted you can spin it anyway you want but what layzie12g said is right. Remember the saying, "If it's too good to be true..." Or how about "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

People need to take responsibility for their actions (getting sick of saying this in general).
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I do not work on Fords. I work on Mitsubishi Evos and Diamond Stars. I have done a few pulleys and the normal maintenance work with the 55K. The community I come from is completely different. Also a lot of information is shared on a closed forum that is not open to any yahoo with an Eclipse which weeds out a lot of internet non sense.

We have people doing compound turbos, people doing variable valve timing conversions on cars that came with fixed cam positions, and multiple fuel rail setups. The majority of the owners tune their own vehicles using AEM EMS or Ecm Link. These are a group of highly skilled individuals that do not have the income to play with German cars. I had a feeling you were implying I was some idiot who has put an exhaust on a mustang which is offensive.

If you felt I was bashing the Mercedes community as a whole you are horribly mistaken. I see what these guys do with their cars and the skills they have. Do not get me wrong. If the tuning software was more accessible it would increase the amount of information as a whole tuning wise. The vast majority of people on this forum do not have the skill or the knowledge to tune their own car even if the software was available.

Tuning with these cars seems to be secretive. These companies don't want everyone to find out how to do it because they will lose their business. Just like I don't give people all my tips and tricks when it comes to tuning Ecm Link in an Eclipse. The tuning software for the cars I work on is some what straight forward. People like to think they get the jist of it, but when they get behind the computer of their own car they begin to get nervous. Most of the time they decide to let a professional take it from there.

I would be very interested in seeing exactly what the program looks like that is used with these cars. I know nothing about it.

Last edited by layzie12g; 03-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WEISTEC: Setting the record straight