Sponsored by:

WEISTEC: Setting the record straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skratch77
This is sold as a kit and one would think that all he has to do is get it installed and all the little things have been tweaked out and worked. If someone drops this kind of money they(I)would ecpect the thing to run perfect and would not need to know a single thing about cars and just go off and enjoy the car and drive it hard without needing to think if the timing fueling and temps are ok.It almost seems as this poor guy was there first beta tester and is using him as a guinea pig.
Angelo,

Normally I'd agree with that sentiment 100%.... but when you look at some of the information that Weistec posted up early on, it seemed that the installer took some shortcuts with the installation. (I'm thinking specifically about the undersized cooling line to the trunk tank)

It can't be easy trying to diagnose a car that's thousands of miles away, especially when you have no control over what the installer will do (or refuse to do) when you make suggestions to isolate an issue. It seemed that there were multiple concerns about cooling pumps, old sensors, wiring, etc that were never really taken seriously.

Make no mistake, I am sympathetic to the OP for losing an engine over this whole ordeal. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.... but I think this also serves as a reminder that the BEST parts in the world are only as good as the shop that installs them, their EXPERIENCE in being able to identify when something as amiss...... and their ability to isolate problems (even if they are unrelated to the new parts being installed) to make sure that the engine isn't being placed at unnecessary risk.

Further, it's a shame that all of the initial orders for the Weistec kit seemingly ended up going to faraway places like UAE, and S. Africa. From a marketing perspective it sure would have been better to get a few domestic installations completed first, so that Weistec could keep a watchful eye on how the installs were going.... and perhaps be able to see a car "in person" if someone reported having issues?? Having a few installation "wins" publicized on MBWorld would have been far better than what we've got now....

The Weistec kit seems to be a thoughtfully assembled package. Its unfortunate that they didn't get a cleaner start out-of-the-blocks with it, but I'm sure over time we will see some reports of customers making big power and (gasp!)......maybe even some independent dyno numbers!!

-G
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
AJM55,
When you say you blew the motor, just what happened. Have you disassembled the engine to see just what has happened. What was the mileage on the car, recent issues before the install if any. I have read about the temps and what should have happened, ie decrease in timing, enrich a/f and so on, but what is the issue, mechanical breakage from high revs, broken pistons/ cracked rings, over heating of the engine cooling system/stuck thermostat. Engine engulfed some debris, what is your diagnosis. Did you spit out an intake/blower gasket, what is broke?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Greg,

I see where your coming from but digging threw the threads I thought the op confirmed everything was switched out and worked to there liking?Its different if we have 30 kits on the street and there are cars with 15k miles on them all running fine but when you have the first documented customer car that has no baised to anyone blow up makes the whole thing a mess.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth
I do not exactly think that its sold as a simple bolt on kit. I would assume this if the car was in stock form etc but a lot of people who own cars are second and third owners and I am sure a competent shop needs to check that the car is in OEM spec. For all you know the car has a stock DME running a piggy back telling the car to do other things like add more timing or ignore failsafe signals etc and no one is even aware because it was fitted two owners ago.
On my pre-Weistec mods, we did have a piggyback system in place. However, it was removed with the Weistec installation.

George, I think it may have been you who asked if we did a compression test before the Weistec installation. We didn't but a compression test was done in Jan 2012. There were no issues. I've done about 5,000 kms since. Not sure if this is relevant but the power we were making on the pre-Weistec set up was, as I understand it, decent enough up here at altitude.

I was going to do an engine failure thread and deal there with some of the other queries raised above but I'll simply tag the engine failure issue to the end of the performance review thread for convenience.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Greg,

I see where your coming from but digging threw the threads I thought the op confirmed everything was switched out and worked to there liking?.

according to weistec not everything was not done per their request , see below...

Originally Posted by Weistec

Buy a new IAT sensor and install it. They installed a used one.

We wanted to see if the two pumps (one in the trunk and one in front) were fighting each other. We asked how they were wired.

We also asked if the owner can run the car on the dyno once again, and perhaps put some ice in the tank. This gauges weather our intercooler system is actually transferring heat. If the ice were to stay cold, there might be an air bubble in the system.

NONE of these were done, for the exception of installed a used IAT sensor.

We also want to state that the compressor and intercooler core used on the M113K system is the same exact part as the M156 system. In both applications, if all directions were followed we have never seen such high intake air temperatures, not even on a summer day in Dubai.

Weistec Engineering

Last edited by gaspam; 02-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gaspam
according to weistec not everything was not done per their request , see below...

I've just dealt with this in the other thread.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTs
I would think a company of weistec's caliber(maybe I'm giving ten too much credit) would have been able to buy their own used m156 E and do all their RD on it. I why not try to bribe a local enthusiast with a Deep discount to be a guinea pig. This way all this drama would have been avoided.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Its different if we have 30 kits on the street and there are cars with 15k miles on them all running fine but when you have the first documented customer car that has no baised to anyone blow up makes the whole thing a mess.

All I'm saying is that if one of the first customers happened to live in the Houston area and dropped their car off at Eurocharged for this installation I'll bet you a G-note that the outcome would have been completely different (and in a good way!)

Jerry would have sorted out those IATs in a hurry, and I'll bet even if there was a glitch with the Weistec kit he would have been on the phone providing helpful data that would help them make the necessary tweaks.

Again, this is not to disparage anyone else or any installer. I'm just saying that the shop that you partner with for this kind of "high dollar" upgrade DOES make a difference.... And if you are working with a relatively new and unfamiliar set of parts, the installer becomes even MORE critical to your success.

I've heard that Jerrry is building a new motor with the Weistec blower on it (built bottom end, good pistons etc) so I'm sure we will get another data point on this kit soon enough.

-G
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
What makes you think they didn't?

Originally Posted by silvergs
I would think a company of weistec's caliber(maybe I'm giving ten too much credit) would have been able to buy their own used m156 E and do all their RD on it. I why not try to bribe a local enthusiast with a Deep discount to be a guinea pig. This way all this drama would have been avoided.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM

AMG GTs
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
What makes you think they didn't?
please correct me if i'm wrong, and i'm not a hater, as a matter of fact, weistec was the reason i was considering keeping the 2008 e63.
i havent seen a m156 E with their kit on it. i would think they would advertise that car if it existed.

only two real reviews i've seen on this blower and both are negative. maybe they have success in other amg cars..but i'm only interested in the E63 so im only on this forum.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What does all this drama have to do with an M156 E63?

their own used m156 E and do all their RD on it. This way all this drama would have been avoided.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM

AMG GTs
What does all this drama have to do with an M156 E63?
wasnt the car the blew up a m156 and not the e55? isnt the w211 e63 m156 motor blew? if so, then this is relevant.

if this drama has nothing to do with the m156 e63..then what does it have to do with?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
please correct me if i'm wrong, and i'm not a hater, as a matter of fact, weistec was the reason i was considering keeping the 2008 e63.
i havent seen a m156 E with their kit on it. i would think they would advertise that car if it existed.

only two real reviews i've seen on this blower and both are negative. maybe they have success in other amg cars..but i'm only interested in the E63 so im only on this forum.
Read this. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ew-record.html
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
wasnt the car the blew up a m156 and not the e55? isnt the w211 e63 m156 motor blew? if so, then this is relevant.

if this drama has nothing to do with the m156 e63..then what does it have to do with?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn, bro.. If you're going to join a discussion and talk some smack, try and maybe know at least the basics of what you're gumming about.

The car is a 2006 E55, as discussed multiple times and even listed in the OPs sig/bio info on every post.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Damn, bro.. If you're going to join a discussion and talk some smack, try and maybe know at least the basics of what you're gumming about.

The car is a 2006 E55, as discussed multiple times and even listed in the OPs sig/bio info on every post.
What a dunce!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I thought this thread couldn't go anymore off the deep end. Now we have people blaming the problem on putting the blower on the wrong motor
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe he's onto something. AJM55- perhaps you have an E63? That could be why you're having troubles, the 55K blower they sent you didn't fit with any of the bolts, so it got installed with zip ties!

Wait.. You said it made good power before the Weistec.

Definitely wasn't an E63
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM

AMG GTs
my bad, didnt realize this was on an e55..my apologies. i'm not hating or trying to stir the pot...goodluck
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM

AMG GTs

again, my apologies..i really wasnt trying to talk smack. i was really interested in a blower for the e63..and somehow assumed his car was an e63. in all honesty..i was and still am hoping this kit works out so hopefully one day i can go that route, instead of i/h/e/ tune.

whatever the case is..good luck and i hope all works out
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the 6.2 scene, but didn't Weistec come out with the blower for those cars some time ago? From what I've seen they run like a scalded monkey...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM

W211 E55 AMG 03
Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
What 3 motors have popped FROM MY TUNING? You need to reword your statements because people like you are the main cause of confusion in the community.

Motors have popped and I bet they will continue to pop as the cars get older, more parts go on, and people continue to assume that it couldn't happen to them. Everyone wants to CRAM more and more boost into their car without spending the time or money to make sure it's safe.

I have heard of every tuner being involved with a blown motor so this isn't new or related to one individual tuner.

If you have proof that Eurocharged was the reason the motor let go, I would love to see it. Otherwise, I'm asking nicely that you leave slanderous comments regarding my company out of your mouth.

IM WITH JERRY ON THIS ONE,,, i have just signed up here on forums. i am a ls1/ hemi tuner... i have heard it all before,, everyone blames the tuner instantly.. guilty till proven innocent,, what you people don't understand is , it takes years and 100's of thousands of dollars to build a shop and gain reputation only for it to be damaged in one post including our names, unless you have proof SHUT YOUR MOUTHS !!!
why ? because you all assume the engine is perfect on the inside because why ? you service it ?? give me a break ,, i have seen engines destructed because of a broken cam pin ( 4 dollar part) i have seen brand new engines spin bearings, i have seen injector drivers in ecu's have interfearence and seize signal after 5000rpms ( IN A FERRARI) and melt a piston,, NO TUNER ON THIS EARTH wants to break an engine and we **** our pants when were doing it too. we take every precaution to creep up on a tune ,, we dont just throw figure on a laptop and pray,
im sorry im usually a easy going guy but this has pissed me off

manny
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the 6.2 scene, but didn't Weistec come out with the blower for those cars some time ago? From what I've seen they run like a scalded monkey...
yes and they have the fastest m156 out there at 10.01, which makes it the 2nd fastest mercedes out there on the 1/4, second only to the renntech slr, which 1/2 the people on this forum think is on NOS

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Yes, and its the next step I have to take with my C63!

They are stout and strong blowers and from what I've seen in the W204 C63 forums they are very hands-on with their customers. I've seen racing vids from guys locally and all the way out in Dubai. These guys know what they are doing.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Maybe he's onto something. AJM55- perhaps you have an E63? That could be why you're having troubles, the 55K blower they sent you didn't fit with any of the bolts, so it got installed with zip ties!

Wait.. You said it made good power before the Weistec.

Definitely wasn't an E63
Going to take a closer look under the hood ... Got to say though that on the outside it bears a strong resemblance to the 55 but one must not be quick to discount the possibility that it's in fact a 63 and that my predecessor in title did an E55 bumper, lights and cluster conversion.

again, my apologies..i really wasnt trying to talk smack. i was really interested in a blower for the e63..and somehow assumed his car was an e63. in all honesty..i was and still am hoping this kit works out so hopefully one day i can go that route, instead of i/h/e/ tune.

whatever the case is..good luck and i hope all works out
No problem - an innocent mistake.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WEISTEC: Setting the record straight