W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

V1 Radar Detector Install Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
V1 Radar Detector Install Pics

Anyone here, and I specifically ask this on the AMG subforum, have a Valentine One radar detector in their E? If so how do you have any pics and do you like the unit overall? I've heard from many people on Automobili Exotica and from video bloggers on Bullrun that these are the only units that really really work and I'm hoping to pick one up soon.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...1-install.html

I hope to be getting one soon as well. Is there anyone that sells them cheaper than the Valentine site? I hate paying full price, but I don't want to get an older model from eBay.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Yeah found a few more threads after a bit of searching on finished installs of the V1, most people mount them to the left of the rear view mirror a bit out of sight. I'm honestly not sure I might try to get one second hand or just save a bit more up then get it from their site. Probably worth paying full price, I don't trust eBay for this type of high-priced gadget.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
To the right of the rear view, above the rear view. You have to get it hardwired, takes about 20 min and costs about $50.

As far as reliability, it's the most worthless mod you will ever buy for your car. In Cali, all speed traps are LiDar. By the time the V1 picks up the signal it's already too late. The thing is however amazing at picking up automatic sliding glass doors of your local grocery store and those temporary electronic signs in residential streets that tell you how fast you are going.

I have a brand new V1 that's been sitting in my window in OFF mode. If you really must have one make me an offer..
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheVazha
To the right of the rear view, above the rear view. You have to get it hardwired, takes about 20 min and costs about $50.

As far as reliability, it's the most worthless mod you will ever buy for your car. In Cali, all speed traps are LiDar. By the time the V1 picks up the signal it's already too late. The thing is however amazing at picking up automatic sliding glass doors of your local grocery store and those temporary electronic signs in residential streets that tell you how fast you are going.

I have a brand new V1 that's been sitting in my window in OFF mode. If you really must have one make me an offer..
This post made me laugh hard man. You are totally right in that the V1 is worthless here in Cali. I was going to order one until my friend told me not to since every cop here in LA uses LiDar. In Cali if you truly want to avoid speeding tickets you need to purchase the Laser Interceptor.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
^Lol, not speeding works too.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
^Lol, not speeding works too.
Easier said than done!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Yeah found a few more threads after a bit of searching on finished installs of the V1, most people mount them to the left of the rear view mirror a bit out of sight. I'm honestly not sure I might try to get one second hand or just save a bit more up then get it from their site. Probably worth paying full price, I don't trust eBay for this type of high-priced gadget.
Get a new one...

Also check out the add-on called "SAAVY". It's around $60 and let's you set a speed threshold for alerts....basically, it helps prevent all the false alarms when driving slowly on surface streets. I've owned V1s for the last 20 years and they have saved my hide MANY times. It's cheap money compared to speeding tickets, jail & insurance rate hikes.

-G
Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by GregMB
Get a new one...

Also check out the add-on called "SAAVY". It's around $60 and let's you set a speed threshold for alerts....basically, it helps prevent all the false alarms when driving slowly on surface streets. I've owned V1s for the last 20 years and they have saved my hide MANY times. It's cheap money compared to speeding tickets, jail & insurance rate hikes.

-G
I agree with this. Be sure to get SAVVY to keep your sanity - it automatically mutes if you are driving under a preset speed. I set mine to 35mph.

I recommend all of your V1 components be ESP compatible. ESP is V1s latest firmware that allows two way communication between the detector and any other Valentine components.

The system reverts to Legacy mode if even one piece is not compatible. In reality, it just means that your V1 will NOT unmute an alert if it has been muted by SAVVY. Say you're stopped at a stop light and SAVVY mutes a cop taking radar. You will get a visual on the detector, but no sound. Once you start driving and exceed 35mph SAVVY will unmute and give you the audible alert. - If everything is not ESP compatible, the RD will stay muted. Could be a problem.

I've got a pretty slick setup in my car. The V1 is mounted above the mirror on the passenger side

I've got a Concealed Display mounted in the bezel of the cluster trim. I modified the display to have the wire exit straight back. Normally, it exits the side. I notched the cluster bezel so that the display recesses nicely and no wires can be seen. I also changed the LEDs in the display to color. Finally the SAVVY plugs into the OBD port for power.

These pictures are of my E500, but I transferred everything to the E55.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Always running a V1 hardwired to the top left of the rear view mirror.
Also always running Laser Interceptor front and rear.
The V1 is worthless on the highway, like Vazha said when it screams they already have your speed. However, it pays for itself in suburbs especially at night where cops are sitting running radar.
I've had probably 20+ different V1's. It's the best for radar.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Interesting .. I did not know Cali only has LiDar. Is it worth getting the Interceptor or Blinder I wonder? Time to research ... How do you like your Interceptor?

Originally Posted by E55Dimon
Always running a V1 hardwired to the top left of the rear view mirror.
Also always running Laser Interceptor front and rear.
The V1 is worthless on the highway, like Vazha said when it screams they already have your speed. However, it pays for itself in suburbs especially at night where cops are sitting running radar.
I've had probably 20+ different V1's. It's the best for radar.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by turbo97se
Interesting .. I did not know Cali only has LiDar. Is it worth getting the Interceptor or Blinder I wonder? Time to research ... How do you like your Interceptor?
I wouldnt say only, of course they have radar too. But I dont live there.
LI is awesome. Had blinder before too. What makes LI good is that when you get hit the alarm goes off - you hit the brakes and turn them off. I don't drive as fast as I used to but I still feel naked driving anything else without my equipment
Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Well the thing about laser, at least here in Georgia, is that the cops have to be stationary to run it. So, they have to be stopped on the highway or an overpass to tag you, and there is usually enough indication with other cars braking or just outright seeing the guy. I have only been popped with laser one time and that was due to me just completely not paying attention to the road.

The other 3 tickets I have gotten have been with radar, from police coming the opposite direction. I mainly drive rural freeways and rural 2 lane roads, not areas where cops sit with laser guns, but do generally drive around with their radars scanning.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by G_Money
Well the thing about laser, at least here in Georgia, is that the cops have to be stationary to run it. So, they have to be stopped on the highway or an overpass to tag you, and there is usually enough indication with other cars braking or just outright seeing the guy. I have only been popped with laser one time and that was due to me just completely not paying attention to the road.

The other 3 tickets I have gotten have been with radar, from police coming the opposite direction. I mainly drive rural freeways and rural 2 lane roads, not areas where cops sit with laser guns, but do generally drive around with their radars scanning.
Same here in Cali....
Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
It would be worth it to have just for the hard wired start up sequence but that's it. Maybe even looks I guess? But really in Cali it's just for impressing passengers. That's a factaroo.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
It would be worth it to have just for the hard wired start up sequence but that's it. Maybe even looks I guess? But really in Cali it's just for impressing passengers. That's a factaroo.
Sorry but you are mistaken. My valentine has saved me numerous times in California. While many of the bike cops in OC use LIDAR (have to be stationary), most of patrol cars use radar (leave it on when driving around). The CHP still drive around with radar as well.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
in Northern California most CHP now use LIDAR. you notice because they are required to park their cars and point the gun at incoming or outgoing traffic. the gun requires that the gun have line of sight to the floor for calibration. you see them sticking guns out of their windows these days...those are LIDAR. or if they're running a section of highway using 3 chase cars the cop will just stand outside his car tagging cars for chase cars to chase.
​​​
Old 01-26-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BagMan
I agree with this. Be sure to get SAVVY to keep your sanity - it automatically mutes if you are driving under a preset speed. I set mine to 35mph.

I recommend all of your V1 components be ESP compatible. ESP is V1s latest firmware that allows two way communication between the detector and any other Valentine components.

The system reverts to Legacy mode if even one piece is not compatible. In reality, it just means that your V1 will NOT unmute an alert if it has been muted by SAVVY. Say you're stopped at a stop light and SAVVY mutes a cop taking radar. You will get a visual on the detector, but no sound. Once you start driving and exceed 35mph SAVVY will unmute and give you the audible alert. - If everything is not ESP compatible, the RD will stay muted. Could be a problem.

I've got a pretty slick setup in my car. The V1 is mounted above the mirror on the passenger side

I've got a Concealed Display mounted in the bezel of the cluster trim. I modified the display to have the wire exit straight back. Normally, it exits the side. I notched the cluster bezel so that the display recesses nicely and no wires can be seen. I also changed the LEDs in the display to color. Finally the SAVVY plugs into the OBD port for power.

These pictures are of my E500, but I transferred everything to the E55.
Where did you tap into power?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Back of the cig lighter. Behind the ashtray