Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc e55 amg
Talking desert runs - new member

hi to all members,
new member is here

recently picked 06 e55 up, installed 180 on crank and smaller sc pulley, all DIY threads were very helpful - thnx to all!

so now i want to open her up, live in social,
wanna kno if anyone ever went to mohave preserve and gave it full throttle? not talking I-15 now but those desert roads.

is anyone up for that?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Lots of boost added...... Any cooling and/or fuel?

It's going to be a pretty disappointing trip if you heat soak after only 1 hard pull.

-G
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
Lots of boost added...... Any cooling and/or fuel?

It's going to be a pretty disappointing trip if you heat soak after only 1 hard pull.

-G

Greg as usual +1
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by dynobenz55
hi to all members,
new member is here

recently picked 06 e55 up, installed 180 on crank and smaller sc pulley, all DIY threads were very helpful - thnx to all!

so now i want to open her up, live in social,
wanna kno if anyone ever went to mohave preserve and gave it full throttle? not talking I-15 now but those desert roads.

is anyone up for that?
please tell me you tuned it
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loungn14
please tell me you tuned it
Lots of young, enthusiastic new E55 owners on MBWorld lately......

I'm terrified at some of the stuff being posted on this forum lately. Either people are too impatient to do their research, or they just don't care enough to plan out upgrades in a sensible way. The cost of that ignorance is going to be staggeringly high for a few people around here...

Good news for companies like EuroCharged though...... I'd suggest you start putting rebuilt longblocks on your website for sale. "Low-Information" E55 owners are going to make you rich this year.

-G
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Come on guys, tuning is easy. As long as you know how to use a laptop and a cable plug.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Lots of young, enthusiastic new E55 owners on MBWorld lately......

I'm terrified at some of the stuff being posted on this forum lately. Either people are too impatient to do their research, or they just don't care enough to plan out upgrades in a sensible way. The cost of that ignorance is going to be staggeringly high for a few people around here...

Good news for companies like EuroCharged though...... I'd suggest you start putting rebuilt longblocks on your website for sale. "Low-Information" E55 owners are going to make you rich this year.

-G

lol I was about to say the same thing.

I hope they don't have to learn the hard way though.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM

merc e55 amg
You guys are cracking me up, i just didn't know if u wanted all of the details lol

Bosch pump was installed, not sure if i need HE, not planning on any exhaust upgrades, vr tuned and michelin pilots mounted.

Any advice on future upgrades will be much appreciated but the reason for this thread was to know if anyone has ever gone to desert? Don't want to risk my license and freedom doing donuts and speeding on city roads.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys are cracking me up, i just didn't know if u wanted all of the details lol

Bosch pump was installed, not sure if i need HE, not planning on any exhaust upgrades, vr tuned and michelin pilots mounted.

Any advice on future upgrades will be much appreciated but the reason for this thread was to know if anyone has ever gone to desert? Don't want to risk my license and freedom doing donuts and speeding on city roads.
..... and YOU are cracking some of us up as well.

180mm + smaller S/C pulley the equivalent of running a 195mm crank pulley..... that is HUGE!!!

You need SO much additional work it's not even funny, but I'll try to put it in perspective:

Take your car out to the desert highway with a bone-stock E55 (assuming you can find one) and line them up side-by-side for a dig race.

>>>>> SPOILER ALERT! (Results of your upcoming race are below. Stop reading now if you don't want to hear how it will end) <<<<<<<

With that massive amount of extra boost, you'll get a huge jump off the line... assuming you make a careful launch and don't blow the tires off. You'll put probably 2 - 3 car lengths on the stock E55 for the first 10 seconds or so........ after that the party ends.

At WOT with that much boost (and no cooling, meth, or other tricks) your car is going to be so badly heatsoaked that it will start pulling ignition timing, dumping fuel to save the motor from detonation. Starting at around 100MPH, the stock E55 is going to reel you in.... and drive right around you! BYE BYE!!!

The second race will be even worse because now your engine is already heatsoaked. If you're lucky, you might take a small initial lead (though not as good as the first race) before your car falls on it's face and loses power.... YOU LOSE. BADLY.

By the third race, your IATs are probably so high that the ECU won't even engage the supercharger pulley anymore, so you'll have lost around 300HP. At this point, a Honda Accord is going to walk you from a dig. PACK IT UP AND HEAD HOME.... GAME OVER.

I'm trying to make it a humorous example, but those are the realities of what would really happen to you based on your mods so far. (basically none) You fell for the seduction of "cheap HP" and bolted on the largest pulley you could find but didn't do anything to improve cooling. If you're lucky, you come home embarrassed..... if you're stubborn and just keep your foot to the floor for a top speed bonsai run, odds are good that you'll completely blow the motor when the injectors run out of duty cycle.

Take a look around at the guys on MBWorld who run large crank pulleys. (They are easy to find because their .sig is usually about a paragraph long and details all of the other crazy mods that they run to keep the engine properly cooled and fueled at those boost levels.) If you do everything right, you end up with a 10-second E55..... do it wrong, and you won't even be able to keep up with stock E55s anymore.

Making power with E55 is all about heat management.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 03-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I'm taking Vegas odds on him not returning to the thread. Sheesh Greg...
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We don't do "tough love" around here anymore? Next you guys will want to ban the word "BOSSY".....

-G
Old 03-19-2014, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I agree with you wholeheartedly, man. But damn, that kid is probably taking off all his mods now
Old 03-19-2014, 02:06 PM

merc e55 amg
We don't do "tough love" around here anymore? Next you guys will want to ban the word "BOSSY".....

-G
Thanks for the heads up, seriously thou, appreciate your input, i would not think twice going there as it is, didn't know power changes are that drastic because of pulleys n tune only.

Will the HE help a lot?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
A heat exchanger is a must if you plan on doing lots of back to back pulls or you want your recovery time in between runs to be faster. The reason everyone is coming down so hard on you is because you skipped that step and everyone here has been trying to find the best solution for cooling for several years now.

Cliff notes : get a heat exchanger as your next mod, skip the exhaust and do headers after that.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
and then add a trunk tank after that!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the heads up, seriously thou, appreciate your input, i would not think twice going there as it is, didn't know power changes are that drastic because of pulleys n tune only.

Will the HE help a lot?
I'm not trying to rag on you, just trying to save you from learning lessons the hard way.

You can't just throw on huge pulleys and a tune and expect things are going to be fine. There is SO much information on this forum, and you really owe it to yourself to sit down and start reading it to educate yourself better......

-G
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55

Will the HE help a lot?
It's not just power, per se, we are talking here...it's about the amount of INCREASED forced air you are adding to the car - i.e. boost. When you're adding a substantial amount, by adding a large crank pulley and upper blower pulley, you're risking your motor without properly addressing things like cooling and fuel.

As to your question on the HE, it depends largely on what you're looking to do with the car. Are you planning on DDing it with the occasional spirited WOT runs here and there? Are you planning to hammer it from key on to key off every time you drive it? Are you going to drag her? Track days etc.? It all boils down to what you want.

Personally, I drive here and there short distances during the week (I work from home 85% of the time) and weekends with hard runs as much as I can each time I drive her. For my mods, an IC pump, HE, the STAR mod has kept my cooling in check - for the most part.

For the big crank pulley guys, trunk tanks, Killer Chiller, meth are some of the few options there are to keep the car cooling in check and fuel rails, larger/more flowing injectors for fuel issues.. but more importantly, these are precautionary measures to keep the motors intact.

So ask yourself this question before you move forward with the car:
What am I trying to do with it?

Then hit the search button and you will spends hours upon hours reading. That's where most of us started just like you. Good luck!

Last edited by ArmoE55; 03-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM

merc e55 amg
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
A heat exchanger is a must if you plan on doing lots of back to back pulls or you want your recovery time in between runs to be faster. The reason everyone is coming down so hard on you is because you skipped that step and everyone here has been trying to find the best solution for cooling for several years now.

Cliff notes : get a heat exchanger as your next mod, skip the exhaust and do headers after that.
Don't mind people going hard on me, if not for this I would just toast my car in a desert lol

I see you are in OC, have u ever taken ur car to the desert?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
SPONSOR

yikes this thread scares me...

who is vrtuned?

I would also check your IDC bud...
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

don't forget fuel rail and injectors
Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55
I run the same pulley set up and I am running EC heat exchanger, johnson pump, Dads trunk tank, Stars 10° mod, looped rail, 550 red injectors, and snow performance meth just as supporting mods for the boost. With all those cooling mods I didn't have my IATs fully under control till I added the meth. Just a heads up on a setup to control that heat.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by loungn14
yikes this thread scares me...

who is vrtuned?

I would also check your IDC bud...
VR is old school, back when we made our own parts or commandeered SLR parts to make our E55's faster. Probably the very first attempt at one of "us" starting a tuning/parts salon. I would have zero problem trusting anything Victor does when it comes to a basic tune.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'm wondering why the place that sold you the pulley or the shop that installed it didn't ask you about a HE.

Take a look around at the guys on MBWorld who run large crank pulleys. (They are easy to find because their .sig is usually about a paragraph long and details all of the other crazy mods that they run to keep the engine properly cooled and fueled at those boost levels.) If you do everything right, you end up with a 10-second E55..... do it wrong, and you won't even be able to keep up with stock E55s anymore.

-G

Last edited by HeissRod; 03-19-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by chiromikey
VR is old school, back when we made our own parts or commandeered SLR parts to make our E55's faster. Probably the very first attempt at one of "us" starting a tuning/parts salon. I would have zero problem trusting anything Victor does when it comes to a basic tune.
ah.....victor Totally forgot about him...

I just didn't think about it as I was under the impression he recently did the mods and tuned for the stacked pullies..
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chiromikey
so much history here...