Sponsored by:

3000 Stall Torque Converter Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
you really only get extra heat if your flashing the hell out of it you can drive this normal once the stall locks up there is no slip. agree I know from experience its a mother to try and hook it even with sticky tires now but its so worth it for the gains of regular driving. I think if someone makes a 16 inch slick to fit on these cars then we would have something.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I finally got to the track last night with the new converter. I only got one run before getting rained out. Anyhow, I had a little more air in my tires than necessary and only loaded the converter up to 2k rpm; I ended up spinning pretty bad out of the box. Even then, I was just a few hundredths off of my personal best 60' that was run at sea level. It had been drizzling off and on before the run and D/A was touching 6,000.

Might try again next Saturday. No doubt in my mind that I will be destroying my 60' best by a lot.
The following users liked this post:
CrossfireDiva (05-30-2024)
Old 08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
I finnally got to test my 3000 stall converter and it worked great!!! Especially with the twins. I could barely pull a 1.9 on stock and i instanly got to a 1.7 and dropped .3 on my 1/8 mile. Car ran 11.00ET with DA at 2474 in 90* weather and basically no prep.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Damn, that's moving. I was upset I didn't get more runs in.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
I finnally got to test my 3000 stall converter and it worked great!!! Especially with the twins. I could barely pull a 1.9 on stock and i instanly got to a 1.7 and dropped .3 on my 1/8 mile. Car ran 11.00ET with DA at 2474 in 90* weather and basically no prep.
I can definitely understand the higher stall on a turbo'd car, but still have a hard time with why it would improve a 55k....
Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by cij911
I can definitely understand the higher stall on a turbo'd car, but still have a hard time with why it would improve a 55k....
Agreed!

I didn't have it when I hit my 1.49 60ft. at MIR.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
The lower rotational mass doesn't hurt either.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Does your car have a crazy turbo lag??? With my full weight tank(4650), I was able to get a handful of 1.5x 60's by launching at 2500-2700 rpms. I realize its a different platform, but I always wondered if there was much to gain with a 3k stall compared to what I am getting with the stock setup. I know my motor and tranny mounts hate me loading it up and the brakes can't hold any more. I think either way it jumps right up into the sweet spot of making power being that much closer in the revs, instead of launching off idle. I would think without traction its still useless. Do you think the .2 quicker 60 was from less rotational mass or just partially getting lucky on bad prep?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Does your car have a crazy turbo lag??? With my full weight tank(4650), I was able to get a handful of 1.5x 60's by launching at 2500-2700 rpms. I realize its a different platform, but I always wondered if there was much to gain with a 3k stall compared to what I am getting with the stock setup. I know my motor and tranny mounts hate me loading it up and the brakes can't hold any more. I think either way it jumps right up into the sweet spot of making power being that much closer in the revs, instead of launching off idle. I would think without traction its still useless. Do you think the .2 quicker 60 was from less rotational mass or just partially getting lucky on bad prep?
On an aftermarket turbo setup a higher stall would make sense so you could get the car to launch in its sweet spot (or at least better than an OE TC). That said, for a OE supercharger setup, we have crazy tq down low and generally suffer from being able to get the car to hook up. I would think moving the launch RPM up to 3k (where the tq is even higher) would make launching even harder and actually produce worse 0 to 60 times....
The following users liked this post:
CrossfireDiva (05-30-2024)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by cij911
OK, sorry in advance, but I don't understand why everyone "loves" this modification so much, other than it makes the car "feel" quicker. Here are my concerns :

(1) The fastest e55s are still running factory TC.
(2) The 3000 stall will just make launching the car more impossible....The standard e55 will lay rubber to ~60 mph if you just mash the pedal.
(3) More heat build up in the transmission...Are folks adding a larger pan or additional coolers?
(4) I understand for WOT driving how this modification could be beneficial for a highly modified car, but what about low throttle / around town drivability ?
(5) Do our cars have lockup clutch ? (I don't believe they do.)

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but just don't understand automatics / TC that well....
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about! Be careful though, asking for factual data to backup a product will get you labelled as a hater and get you reported by the seller of the product.

Of course a higher stall will help a turbo car. Supposedly hundreds of converters sold yet no factual data to support any improvement It's sad but most of the products sold here are based on hype alone. You would think a vendor selling a product would have established before/after data to hep sell their product. Although a independent review would be much more credible source. People have cut 1.4X 60's on STOCK converters...
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Denroll
I finally got to the track last night with the new converter. I only got one run before getting rained out. Anyhow, I had a little more air in my tires than necessary and only loaded the converter up to 2k rpm; I ended up spinning pretty bad out of the box. Even then, I was just a few hundredths off of my personal best 60' that was run at sea level. It had been drizzling off and on before the run and D/A was touching 6,000.

Might try again next Saturday. No doubt in my mind that I will be destroying my 60' best by a lot.
Cool. Any other changes to the car? Also what was your previous best 60' so we can put it into context. Thanks. Good luck at the track next time
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
My 60' PB so far was a 1.76 at sea level. I know, far from being close to the fastest guys. My car did not want to brake torque at all on the stock converter. It was starting to push through the brakes or spin tires by 1200-1300 rpm. I tried many techniques and that was the best it would do. Now on my first launch on a wet track, too much air in the tires, and d/a near 6,000, with the new converter, I was 3 hundredths off of my PB. I came out of the box a little bit sideways. I was wanting to experiment with different things, but got rained out. I always start my runs with tire pressure on the high side and then bleed it out 1-2 psi at a time, which is why it was high on the first run. I also launched it at around 2k rpm and wanted to try higher and higher launches.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about! Be careful though, asking for factual data to backup a product will get you labelled as a hater and get you reported by the seller of the product.

Of course a higher stall will help a turbo car. Supposedly hundreds of converters sold yet no factual data to support any improvement It's sad but most of the products sold here are based on hype alone. You would think a vendor selling a product would have established before/after data to hep sell their product. Although a independent review would be much more credible source. People have cut 1.4X 60's on STOCK converters...

99Lightning has posted a lot of factual data showing a drastic improvement. Also, every person who has put one in their car loves it. Sure there are faster cars on the stock converter, but what would/could they have run with this high stall converter in that exact same setup? We will never know in RBJ's case since he went with turbos. Saying that people have run faster times on the stock converter doesn't mean much when you don't factor everything into the equation. There are cars on the stock supercharger that have run faster times than the Weistec supercharged cars. See?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Data

Simple solution:

Track an e55 before and after 3k tq converter.

Just about every brand car mag has done this with good data.

My old 1990 aod mustang really benefitted from a 3000 stall lockup converter after installation of gears heads intake and a cent supercharger. It made the car much more fun to drive and brought rpm off the line into the boost of the cent supercharger.

The nice thing about a roots or eaton is you get max boost way down low in the rpm..... So perhaps no need for a high stall??? Hard to say without some data.

With all that said I do not doubt the extra tq on the street is a blast!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, 04STI, 07GTI, 05 HAYABUSA, 05 GSX1000
My 60' PB so far was a 1.76 at sea level. I know, far from being close to the fastest guys. My car did not want to brake torque at all on the stock converter. It was starting to push through the brakes or spin tires by 1200-1300 rpm. I tried many techniques and that was the best it would do. Now on my first launch on a wet track, too much air in the tires, and d/a near 6,000, with the new converter, I was 3 hundredths off of my PB. I came out of the box a little bit sideways. I was wanting to experiment with different things, but got rained out. I always start my runs with tire pressure on the high side and then bleed it out 1-2 psi at a time, which is why it was high on the first run. I also launched it at around 2k rpm and wanted to try higher and higher launches.

99Lightning has posted a lot of factual data showing a drastic improvement. Also, every person who has put one in their car loves it. Sure there are faster cars on the stock converter, but what would/could they have run with this high stall converter in that exact same setup? We will never know in RBJ's case since he went with turbos. Saying that people have run faster times on the stock converter doesn't mean much when you don't factor everything into the equation. There are cars on the stock supercharger that have run faster times than the Weistec supercharged cars. See?
I was .3 away from my normal 60 on the track. If you watch the video you can hear my wheel hop and a bit of smoke coming from your tires. It was very wet( what she said ).
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Here's my slips before and after. No changes. I only got 1 run in after TC was installed since I got to the track late. I'll be going back very soon to try a few more things. I'm only making about 610whp at 14psi. Haven't turned the boost up yet.

3000 Stall Torque Converter Review-7c855b2e-865a-4132-8317-5683f2cd517a_zpsupykfvwk.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Turbo car needs a higher stall to spool the turbos not like a positive displacement blower like ours, we have full boost at about 2000rpm. Go cut your nails
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
RBJ - Yes we already addressed why on your setup the higher stall would be great....I look forward to seeing you get a 1.4x in the near future (like you did with your stock TC).

For an OEM S/C setup where tq is almost insane from 1500 to 4000 rpm, and getting the car to hook-up is a challenge, I just don't understand why someone would want to launch the car in even a higher tq range (and just spin tires). Yes, if you are able to put the power down, then moving the stall up into a higher tq range may be helpful, but if you are driving around on street tires or having a hard time launching the car, I do not believe this modification will help you...Just my $0.02

Last edited by cij911; 08-04-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1994 E500, 2012 e63
My personal best with stock stall was 1.89 on a well prepped track, and with the 3000 stall 1.78 on a terrible track. This is on 17" rims and 8 year old mt tires. I think it's easier to launch with the higher stall, I foot break at around 2500 rpm and side step the brake and back off the throttle for a split second, the car jumps forward without spinning then try and go wot within the next 20ft without spinning. I was at the track on Friday and my first pass felt like I ripped the *** end off but I tripped the beam while staging and for some reason it gave me a foul and 4.47 60ft. But everybody at the rack was like holly crap that thing left hard. BTW I got smoked by a brand new Shelby, he ran a 11.37 at 125 with a 2.0 60 on 20 inch rims.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
i feel as though with a true slick if they make one to fit near stock tire height and if you really got into the convetor you would bust the car in half because it would slam hard. but that's what I like.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by betrezra
Simple solution:

Track an e55 before and after 3k tq converter.

Just about every brand car mag has done this with good data.

My old 1990 aod mustang really benefitted from a 3000 stall lockup converter after installation of gears heads intake and a cent supercharger. It made the car much more fun to drive and brought rpm off the line into the boost of the cent supercharger.

The nice thing about a roots or eaton is you get max boost way down low in the rpm..... So perhaps no need for a high stall??? Hard to say without some data.

With all that said I do not doubt the extra tq on the street is a blast!
Simple solution yet we haven't gotten one.
Here's my slips before and after. No changes. I only got 1 run in after TC was installed since I got to the track late. I'll be going back very soon to try a few more things. I'm only making about 610whp at 14psi. Haven't turned the boost up yet.
It will definitely help in your case. But you also lost 2mph. Can't wait to see you turn it up!
Originally Posted by Georgee6086
My personal best with stock stall was 1.89 on a well prepped track, and with the 3000 stall 1.78 on a terrible track. This is on 17" rims and 8 year old mt tires. I think it's easier to launch with the higher stall, I foot break at around 2500 rpm and side step the brake and back off the throttle for a split second, the car jumps forward without spinning then try and go wot within the next 20ft without spinning. I was at the track on Friday and my first pass felt like I ripped the *** end off but I tripped the beam while staging and for some reason it gave me a foul and 4.47 60ft. But everybody at the rack was like holly crap that thing left hard. BTW I got smoked by a brand new Shelby, he ran a 11.37 at 125 with a 2.0 60 on 20 inch rims.
You were on mickey thompson tires in a modded 55 and only cut a 1.89 60'? I must be missing something. I need to find a stock E55 locally and take it to the track and see what 60' it cuts. I'm surprised that these modded 55's are not cutting much better 60's.
Originally Posted by 99lightning
i feel as though with a true slick if they make one to fit near stock tire height and if you really got into the convetor you would bust the car in half because it would slam hard. but that's what I like.
This is very factual data. Is this what Denroll was talking about? Do you go to Cecil?

Can we get a before/after comparison without a million stipulations? Anyone in the MD/DC/VA area have this convertor installed in their car? Lets go to the track. Find another E55 with similar mods and do head to head comparison.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
This is very factual data. Is this what Denroll was talking about?

Are you this obnoxious in person? He posted up earlier in this very same thread. You even responded to it!

Originally Posted by 99lightning
I ran 11.659 at 119.93mph 1.733 sixty foot dead hook no tire spin minus 500 da roughly at atco. stall convertor no other changes worn posi still doing one legged burnouts. 800feet positive da 11.59 at 120.13mph. 1.695 spinning 60ft. Best sixty foot with stall has been been 1.643 spinning 900 positive da. I have yet to run car with my tcu tune and I need new tires and good prep because im barely on the convertor and its a animal coming out.

You replied to that with this:

There's barely any difference in mph or ET. The best 60's I've seen in an E55 are in cars with no converter modification

Nowhere in this post was the TOU violated so stop deleting my posts because a sponsor cries

You don't acknowledge the improvement in 60', just knock his "barely improved" mph & ET, despite him saying that the before run was -500 d/a and the after run was +800 d/a with his best 60' run being +900. Victim card thrown in at the end for added effect.

Good info. Maybe it would help if you provided some 60' data. To my knowledge. All the quickest E55 60's have no stall converter just the "weak" factory converter.

Data was provided. You just throw a red herring into the conversation with the "that car with a lot more mods is faster and it has the stock converter." So scientific.

Nice! Look forward to your results. If the stall is 3000 you should be able to hold the brake and rev it to 3000rpm. Hopefully you can cut 1.4X 60's since you're heavily modded and have tires. Just like stock converter cars have done

Just a passive-aggressive jab here.

I'm asking for results. Is that bashing? I don't have to have it on my car to have had first hand experience with a product. Hundreds of them in cars in different countries but no results? I will just wait to see some results. Have a nice day

There was data provided. You just chose to ignore it.

You were on mickey thompson tires in a modded 55 and only cut a 1.89 60'? I must be missing something.

Just the part where he said "8 year old M/Ts". Read it again.

Sticking with that red herring and your passive-aggressive little jabs at "vendors". Are the results posted by 99Lightning not good enough for you? The high percentage of satisfied reviews by happy customers doesn't mean anything? What more do you want?

Last edited by Denroll; 08-04-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Data was provided. You just throw a red herring into the conversation with the "that car with a lot more mods is faster and it has the stock converter." So scientific.

Are the results posted by 99Lightning not good enough for you? The high percentage of satisfied reviews by happy customers doesn't mean anything? What more do you want?
Should I say the top five 60's are with cars without a converter? How about top ten? Does that help make it clearer to you? How about if I told you there are STOCK cars with STOCK converters that have cut better 60's than most of the published cars with converters (that includes you)??? You act as if it's a crime to ask for results from a product.

No. One persons results with a million stipulations does not prove anything. Happiness doesn't effect performance so that doesn't help either. What more do I want? Hmmm lets think about that for a second... MORE DATA! Carry on
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
No. One persons results with a million stipulations does not prove anything.
Actually, it proves exactly what you are looking for. Same car, same driver, same setup, same track, with your "million stipulations" being... what? The d/a? That's about as close to running tests in a controlled environment as we are going to get. You are just pointing to other cars doing this and that and that doesn't do anything.

These converters have not been out very long and there are not many cars running them yet.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
blackbenz can we say the top what ever cars going fast with stock stalls have every part on them. And im sure they were dead hooking too. if you read my post a zillion times how I burned the tires through first gear cutting a 1.64 barely up on the stall, plus that was before the tcu tune.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM
lm7

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E55
Ahmad do you not run a high stall converter on your weistec blown clk? I thought I remember you listing a TC in your mods list but maybe that was with the Kleeman?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3000 Stall Torque Converter Review