Ready for the Drag Season

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
considering that according to dragtimes the best 60 ft on record is a 1.50 and the top 4 are all 1.5 to 1.58 i would say craigs 60 ft is about as good as the e55 is going to see. mir has always had a reputation of having some of the lowest d/a in the country . isn't that why you hold so many events in the late fall right before it closes?

might be easier to find a sort they have 3.06 gearing as well. jeremy swartz has a slk32 in at as well
RBJ cut a 1.49 60ft. 1.59 is good but there's room for improvement and Craig knows that. There are tons of other track (I'll name them if you want me to) that have the same if not better DA in the fall and spring. The reason MIR is so great is because they actually care. They will prep the track to make you happy 99% of the time. I remember a rental where there was 5-6 cars left doing runs and Jason took a 10 minute break to spry and drag the track because he felt it needed to be done.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Everyone knows MIR has Nitrous in the air
Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
had fun and was proud of my girl. drove 130 miles one way to the track, went through tech and first run was a 10 with the every so irritating shifting problem.

each burnout got longer and longer but my 60s were getting worse and worse. just drove back home, super fun.

going to put on a smaller blower pulley and pick up some vht from summit to coat my tires for the next trip out.
Nice job Craig, wish I could have made it out now that I have a new clutch ready to take a beating
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM
SPONSOR

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by nanayaw6
One thing I noticed during your later runs when I was directly behind you was that your rear wheels seem to have a lot of camber.

FACT IS THERE IS NO CAMBER ADJUSTMENT!

Since the mid ‘90 model’s, with the ever increasing speed of vehicle assembly lines there has been no front or rear Camber (or front Caster) adjustment facility fitted OEM

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe!

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another in an attempt to return vehicle to factory specs – to try and resolve costly premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction and fix steering pull.

Owners can fit inaccurate (one position offset) slotted bolts. These are only available for the front offering a minimal .3 of one degree (3mm, 1/8”) Camber and Caster change. Labor intensive removal is required each time to change a setting.

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time"….

By designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front (and rear) suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of these one only position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these one position bolts they can be accurately adjusted on car(under load) direct on alignment turntable (no need for labor intensive removal/replacement each time).

Providing ongoing full, precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage or being able to quickly fine tune/change specs on race days (extra Negative/plus track width to go deeper into the corners/lower lap times). With the unique K-MAC patented design only requiring use of a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for full precise Camber adjustment (with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility). Importantly unlike the alternative rear adjustable Camber control arms available K-MAC kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing essential clearance top of tire to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also instead of spherical bearings as used on control arms which prematurely pound out allowing metal to metal contact. At K-MAC we have developed long life elastomer bushings.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are also designed with twice the load bearing area and replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

Note (Product background re bushings): Majority OEM bushes have air voids to allow 2 axis movement. So control arms can travel through their required arcs without binding, locking up.

Essential with today’s modern designs of “multi-link” arms with different angle mount points!

Yet most “aftermarket” replacement bushes the industry standard is to eliminate these air voids in an attempt to improve both steering response and reduce wheel hop, loss of traction under brake and acceleration.

The opposite is often the case – the elimination of the air voids causes even more severe wheel hop, loss of traction through binding, locking up of arms.

K-MAC bushes – with 50 years now of bush technology are designed without the air voids but where needed with “full 2 axis movement”. Result is power to the ground – maximum traction/acceleration/braking - along with noticeably improved directional control and steering response for highway driving, lane changing.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
RBJ cut a 1.49 60ft. 1.59 is good but there's room for improvement and Craig knows that. There are tons of other track (I'll name them if you want me to) that have the same if not better DA in the fall and spring. The reason MIR is so great is because they actually care. They will prep the track to make you happy 99% of the time. I remember a rental where there was 5-6 cars left doing runs and Jason took a 10 minute break to spry and drag the track because he felt it needed to be done.
theres always room for improvement. what I'm trying to get folks to understand (and craig) is that given his rwhp, the POSTED dragtimes 60 ft's (rbj may have a 1.49 but if its not posted theres no way to know thats why dragtimes is the constant) craigs car is running about as good a 60 ft as your going to see. i would love to see a 1.2 from his car but you know as well as i do theres common links between 60 ft 1/8 and 1/4 times.
i agree mir is a great track. much like the track i run at they prep for a test and tune day just like they prep for a nhra race day.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
The 60 ft was good, but if you were there and saw the hesitation and how long it took to shift, you would say that I lost et and mph with the issue.

Yes it would get stuck in 4th at the end of the run, with a code of inplausible gear ratio. Also short shifting the car around 6100rpms loses mph so I am hoping to chase down this gremlin.

In the meantime, I will throw on a smaller blower pulley laying at the house and see if tony can do anything with the shifting on the street.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
had fun and was proud of my girl. drove 130 miles one way to the track, went through tech and first run was a 10 with the every so irritating shifting problem.
Great work brother!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
considering that according to dragtimes the best 60 ft on record is a 1.50 and the top 4 are all 1.5 to 1.58 i would say craigs 60 ft is about as good as the e55 is going to see. mir has always had a reputation of having some of the lowest d/a in the country . isn't that why you hold so many events in the late fall right before it closes?

might be easier to find a sort they have 3.06 gearing as well. jeremy swartz has a slk32 in at as well
What's with the red color?

I didn't realize dragtimes was the only place to find info. Maybe I should post my times there. Again, 1.59 is not a great 60' for a E55 modded as much as Craig's car. RBJ and lowpro cut 1.50 or better on stock blower/converter cars. I'm willing to bet money he will do better than 1.59.

MIR has lowest DA in the country??? Want to put money on that too? You know there are tracks further north right? Matter of fact look up the DA at tracks by you right now lol. There's nothing magical about the DA at MIR. The benefits are low elevation and great track prep but that's not exclusive to MIR. ATCO probably has lower DA on a consistent basis. I rent MIR because it's the best track in the area. I do it more than just at the end of the year but that's offseason and only time you can rnet track on the weekend.
theres always room for improvement. what I'm trying to get folks to understand (and craig) is that given his rwhp, the POSTED dragtimes 60 ft's (rbj may have a 1.49 but if its not posted theres no way to know thats why dragtimes is the constant) craigs car is running about as good a 60 ft as your going to see. i would love to see a 1.2 from his car but you know as well as i do theres common links between 60 ft 1/8 and 1/4 times.
i agree mir is a great track. much like the track i run at they prep for a test and tune day just like they prep for a nhra race day.
If there was no way to know if it's not on dragtimes then how do many people know? The thing your posting on now. Nobody mentioned a 1.2
The 60 ft was good, but if you were there and saw the hesitation and how long it took to shift, you would say that I lost et and mph with the issue.

Yes it would get stuck in 4th at the end of the run, with a code of inplausible gear ratio. Also short shifting the car around 6100rpms loses mph so I am hoping to chase down this gremlin.

In the meantime, I will throw on a smaller blower pulley laying at the house and see if tony can do anything with the shifting on the street.
Yea poor shifting is costing you. The 60' is as well. How old is your conductor plate?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
The plate should be new as it only had 20K miles on it when we rebuilt it for tighter clearances and more clutch packs. Did you have shifting issues Ahmad when you had the weistec setup on?

You were on the same tranny asme right?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
craig maybe a mechanical valve body is in order its hard to say how much is able to be tuned in these tcu's or if something is being missed in the tuning.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Sounds like your shifts are not completing in time or you are slipping from the power. I do not know what can be modified in the benz tunes on the tcu directly. I do a bit with the mopars and you need more shift pressure. This can be also modified in the ecu for calculated torque. I would suggest logging the pressure solenoids with a scope in the transmission. You can do this from the tcu connector. If you can log these and the internal speed sensors you can see the shift times. If they are very long then it is either transmission health or the pressures need to be increased.
The hard part of all of this is knowing what the actual problem is. If it is going into limp not during a gear change and in 4th then most likely the k3 clutch or the k2 or both are not holding. I put the k3 carrier from the v12 transmissions in and mill the piston for the k2 to hold extra clutches when I build for north of 5-600hp at the crank. Really tightening up the clearances on the clutch packs helps a ton as well. Stock clearances are gong to be extremely slow shifts and when you make a ton of power it will blow through the shifts.
I would probably start with the logging though to see how long the shift are taking in real time. The 3-4 shift is very slow and my guess is that what put you in limp.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 99lightning
craig maybe a mechanical valve body is in order its hard to say how much is able to be tuned in these tcu's or if something is being missed in the tuning.
Modifying these valve bodies for pressure is pretty tricky. The problem is that there is a very fine balance between two pressures during the gear change that control the overlap between the oncoming and off coming clutches for each gear change. If you change one to much in relation to the other then it can cause binding or a flare. Tuning is really the best way.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
My tranny was taken apart and built with tighter clearances and has extra clutch pacs installed too. I have never got a slipping code with this tranny, and this problem only reared its head once the weistec was put on. I am not really making anymore power than my old setup, rather, I am making the same with less boost and on 93 pump.

Only other things I have changed since my old setup when the shifting was spot on is:

1) Added return style fuel setup with inline filter and adjustable fpr
2) added the weistec kit

Immediatly the shifting exhibited these issues:

1) Right before the shift it felt like power drops off, shifts take place, power dips again and then it goes back to normal
2) Shifting in manual mode makes this issue better, but that is only because I dont let it rev out like it does in sport mode
3) This issue is way more pronounced when the car is driven from a cold start.

Another interesting point is that at the wannagofast half mile, we were not allowed to do standing burnouts. So I never put my car in dyno mode and did standing burnouts. I dragged the car up to 155mph with no limp mode issues but still had the shifting issue.

This past weekend I was in dyno mode, did massive burnouts and got the car up to 130mph and as I crossed the lines in 4th, it would not gear back down.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What's with the red color?

I didn't realize dragtimes was the only place to find info. Maybe I should post my times there. Again, 1.59 is not a great 60' for a E55 modded as much as Craig's car. RBJ and lowpro cut 1.50 or better on stock blower/converter cars. I'm willing to bet money he will do better than 1.59.

MIR has lowest DA in the country??? Want to put money on that too? You know there are tracks further north right? Matter of fact look up the DA at tracks by you right now lol. There's nothing magical about the DA at MIR. The benefits are low elevation and great track prep but that's not exclusive to MIR. ATCO probably has lower DA on a consistent basis. I rent MIR because it's the best track in the area. I do it more than just at the end of the year but that's offseason and only time you can rnet track on the weekend.

If there was no way to know if it's not on dragtimes then how do many people know? The thing your posting on now. Nobody mentioned a 1.2

Yea poor shifting is costing you. The 60' is as well. How old is your conductor plate?
its easier to change color when multi quoting. simple as that. i happen to like red.

there are tracks around the country that have a great reputation. yes atco farther north, englishtown nj. both are closed due to snow at this time. mir happens to be a track that can stay open later in the yr. you can run fl in dec and never see d/a like you do on the east coast.

dragtimes has been the goto site for a long time if you want to know how a car runs. and yes if you have times that warrant posting you should list them there.

the 1.2 was an exaggeration of course. he doesn't own a mustang.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Atco is closed due to snow ????? Weather is showing 26 and clear
I hear Buffalo NY is closed due to snow but not Atco
Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by cnterline

I think he means generally speaking(this time of yr) ...I read too quick and got mad over nothing, low 40s should be a nice day on Thursday.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BI-Performance
My tranny was taken apart and built with tighter clearances and has extra clutch pacs installed too. I have never got a slipping code with this tranny, and this problem only reared its head once the weistec was put on. I am not really making anymore power than my old setup, rather, I am making the same with less boost and on 93 pump.

Only other things I have changed since my old setup when the shifting was spot on is:

1) Added return style fuel setup with inline filter and adjustable fpr
2) added the weistec kit

Immediatly the shifting exhibited these issues:

1) Right before the shift it felt like power drops off, shifts take place, power dips again and then it goes back to normal
2) Shifting in manual mode makes this issue better, but that is only because I dont let it rev out like it does in sport mode
3) This issue is way more pronounced when the car is driven from a cold start.

Another interesting point is that at the wannagofast half mile, we were not allowed to do standing burnouts. So I never put my car in dyno mode and did standing burnouts. I dragged the car up to 155mph with no limp mode issues but still had the shifting issue.

This past weekend I was in dyno mode, did massive burnouts and got the car up to 130mph and as I crossed the lines in 4th, it would not gear back down.
With less boost you may simply be at a lower calculated torque and that is the issue. The torque calculations are typically done by rpm/map. See if your tuner can add torque to the tables for the boost level you are running. As far as the dips in output that is torque reduction for the shifts. The ecu reduces torque from a shift status from the tcu but the tcu also has a requested torque value for reducing engine output for other reasons. My guess is that the second dip is a reduced torque request from the tcu because the shift is not completing properly. If you had the correct hardware and software to monitor the CAN messages you could see this but it is pretty complicated stuff.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I think he means generally speaking(this time of yr) ...I read too quick and got mad over nothing, low 40s should be a nice day on Thursday.
yes i was speaking in general terms. at 26* it would be almost impossible to get any kind of traction. thats why all of the tracks around me are closing or closed. to dangerous to launch high hp cars with no grip
Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
45 degrees should be ok
Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
The plate should be new as it only had 20K miles on it when we rebuilt it for tighter clearances and more clutch packs. Did you have shifting issues Ahmad when you had the weistec setup on?

You were on the same tranny asme right?
Yes I did but I also did gears at the same time. I don't think the Weistec SC is related to the shifting.
its easier to change color when multi quoting. simple as that. i happen to like red.

there are tracks around the country that have a great reputation. yes atco farther north, englishtown nj. both are closed due to snow at this time. mir happens to be a track that can stay open later in the yr. you can run fl in dec and never see d/a like you do on the east coast.

dragtimes has been the goto site for a long time if you want to know how a car runs. and yes if you have times that warrant posting you should list them there.

the 1.2 was an exaggeration of course. he doesn't own a mustang.
Umm MIR is closed. Where do you get your facts from?

What DA is it that you would never see in FL? PBIR is at lower elevation than MIR. Are you just making stuff up?

I think a 10.0 @ 138 (aka quickest/fastest 55) would warrant posting but I'm not sure. I will just not post and it will be like it never happened right? What have you run in your p car with proefi? DA by you seems really good!

45 degrees should be ok
Yes it will be fine with sun and good track prep Good luck!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
This is some exceptional info you are providing. Thank you.

You sound very experienced just like the guys on the yellow bullet when they talk about the 4l80e.

When someone says they have a tune tcu- are any of the parameters you mention below changed? Because if not it seems like it would be a useless thing.

Originally Posted by whipplem104
Sounds like your shifts are not completing in time or you are slipping from the power. I do not know what can be modified in the benz tunes on the tcu directly. I do a bit with the mopars and you need more shift pressure. This can be also modified in the ecu for calculated torque. I would suggest logging the pressure solenoids with a scope in the transmission. You can do this from the tcu connector. If you can log these and the internal speed sensors you can see the shift times. If they are very long then it is either transmission health or the pressures need to be increased.
The hard part of all of this is knowing what the actual problem is. If it is going into limp not during a gear change and in 4th then most likely the k3 clutch or the k2 or both are not holding. I put the k3 carrier from the v12 transmissions in and mill the piston for the k2 to hold extra clutches when I build for north of 5-600hp at the crank. Really tightening up the clearances on the clutch packs helps a ton as well. Stock clearances are gong to be extremely slow shifts and when you make a ton of power it will blow through the shifts.
I would probably start with the logging though to see how long the shift are taking in real time. The 3-4 shift is very slow and my guess is that what put you in limp.
Originally Posted by whipplem104
With less boost you may simply be at a lower calculated torque and that is the issue. The torque calculations are typically done by rpm/map. See if your tuner can add torque to the tables for the boost level you are running. As far as the dips in output that is torque reduction for the shifts. The ecu reduces torque from a shift status from the tcu but the tcu also has a requested torque value for reducing engine output for other reasons. My guess is that the second dip is a reduced torque request from the tcu because the shift is not completing properly. If you had the correct hardware and software to monitor the CAN messages you could see this but it is pretty complicated stuff.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
You will never see the kind of negative da at pbir that you see at Mir nor the prep
Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
keep us updated on the shift issue.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:02 PM

2003 SL500
I wish!!! The police would yank our car off the road if you had a NOS bottle attached in Ontario.
They give us a hard time even if its in the car and not attached!!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Hulk
You will never see the kind of negative da at pbir that you see at Mir nor the prep
Can you be more specific? Are you saying there is never negative DA at Florida tracks and that the prep isn't good?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready for the Drag Season