W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
With as many car companies that aren't willing to put you up in a loaner or rental, I'd count my blessings. So far, I've only had that level of service from ford and mb.
Seriously! I was prepping for a huge argument with the reps and the guy turned out to be super helpful. He even suggested that they should replace my hydraulic pumps free of charge while it's there. Lool
Old 01-18-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Hulk
Some do but usually happens when the filter is getting dirty or clogged there's more resistance and it heats up and melts the plastic, when that happens fuel swaps through
Is it true when it starts to weep or leak that the fuel pressure is effected?

Could that this could cause a lean condition when it's leaking? That could cause engine damage. Not just a fuel vapor smell. Ive seen some that barely leak but it weeps through. Would that lose fuel pressure? Enough to cause lean condition. If you can possibly elaborate on this, would be be great for us to know.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by Max.H
Is it true when it starts to weep or leak that the fuel pressure is effected?

Could that this could cause a lean condition when it's leaking? That could cause engine damage. Not just a fuel vapor smell. Ive seen some that barely leak but it weeps through. Would that lose fuel pressure? Enough to cause lean condition. If you can possibly elaborate on this, would be be great for us to know.
I doubt the leak will cause any lean condition. Now, a restriction from the filter can cause that. Or even a worn pump can cause that as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
I doubt the leak will cause any lean condition. Now, a restriction from the filter can cause that. Or even a worn pump can cause that as well.
What is your reasoning? How could Less fuel delivery, not cause a leaner condition?

I guess people can look at the wires and see if they are burnt or starting to melt. That would be a good indication that they need to be changed.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Yes cars have gone lean because of it.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:42 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Max.H
What is your reasoning? How could Less fuel delivery, not cause a leaner condition?

I guess people can look at the wires and see if they are burnt or starting to melt. That would be a good indication that they need to be changed.
If you fill your tank to full and it seeps out it must be thru the housing itself or the o-ring or where ever else they leak from tank etc.... I personally saw one leaking but I can't recall where excatly it was by. I think I changed the o-ring. I really don't think a leak has anything to do with what the pump is delivering. Of course there are other factors when it comes to this, but from it leaking I doubt it. The leak isn't thru the deliver line to the engine? Or the pump itself?

I guess you can picture as if your fuel tank had a crack in it and it was leaking. That should have no affect on what the pump is delivering. Again, if the pump is starving for fuel then yes there will be a lean condition. I'm sure there are many different scenerios to this fuel issue and there is plenty of room for many different problems.

Last edited by c55asleep?; 01-18-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added
Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
I spoke extenively about this with my shop a month ago, (ACG) AND James indicated that it "should not" cause a lean condition, only if the pump is fried.. Keep in mind I only replaced the sending unit on the drivers side.. Right side was clean...
Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Actually it can because a buddy of mine was tuned for 11.4 afr and when he changed his pumps, 10.5 afr so obviously it does
Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM

2006 cls 55 amg
i will contact mbcanada too see if they fallow
Old 01-18-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
A few from Canada have already, unfortunately no they won't.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 PM

GLS, JKU
Originally Posted by sircl55amg
i will contact mbcanada too see if they fallow
Meh - I started a response and lost my tab. I have 2 calls in my MB Canada - I get transferred to some lady that goes to voicemail (wrote her name somewhere... think it was Viola Roy) no calls back - been 2 weeks plus.

Got my car back on Monday - was brought in before this warranty stuff broke in Dec - got new rotors, pads and e-brake in the rear, a new control arm in the front and lots of compliments ($1800 not bad, did I mention I brought it in for a fuel leak..). Anyway asked what had been done with the fuel leak - and on three occasions I asked that they fill it up to try and replicate the issue. My back seat was drenched in gas... and the thing stunk, I just wanted it fixed, and given I brought it in before this news broke would indicate that I was willing to pay.

Sooooooo, what was my fix they gave me for the fuel leak (despite never filling it to replicate the issue)? It appears I have a ton of black caulk (hopefully MB caulk) on the seals under the rear seat - I don't know if that is an approved method - but they say I am good and I just overfilled - a one time thing. 20 bucks says that the next time I fill up its a **** show.

Back on topic - car is away for the winter - I'll give MB Canada time to respond and work it out like logical people - but if I hear nothing - I will literally donate my car to Transport Canada - as I have little use for a car that leaks gas into the backseat that seats my child, and with a dealer that pretty much refuses to investigate. They know something's up and I believe are unwilling to touch it due to liability, and of course they are not dumb - so they say nothing on the topic whatsoever.

Car was bought from MB Canada in 2010 (off lease, cardiologist owned) - 100% dealer maintained - Sender was replace in 2012 on my dime due to an external fuel smell), and by MB's logic the only way gas can breach into the rear seat is if the seals were improperly seated - which was done by the dealer in 2012 (or 18K km for driving to now). Kind of wish I still has the external fuel leak.

Canadian owners need to stick with this..... and I am serious - if this goes nowhere DOT gets a mint E55 gratis.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes E55
Just dropped off my car today! Let's see what happens
Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 PM

'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Dealer is covering the replacement of the fuel pump assembly. They mentioned the tank was not the issue on my car, though the smell seemed to come more so from the exterior of the car. Will advise once it is fixed if it solves the issue...
Old 01-20-2015, 11:46 AM

05 E55 Brabus
Originally Posted by mobhouse
Just dropped off my car today! Let's see what happens
Hey Mob can you let me know which Mercedes dealership as I live here in Houston and would like to do the same. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 M Roadster, 2005 E55 AMG Estate
Hmmm mb Chandler just told me that they aren't currently covering AMG vehicles. He cited some bulletin that he read me over the phone.

I dont' see anything in the posted info so far that does (or does not) cover AMG models.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by Brabus K8
Hey Mob can you let me know which Mercedes dealership as I live here in Houston and would like to do the same. Thanks.
Mercedes benz of North Houston. Car should be done by tomorrow
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
mines been at the dealer for a week now. Waiting for the parts to replace since all the parts they have are for the none AMG's
Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM

05 E55 Brabus
Mercedes benz of North Houston. Car should be done by tomorrow
Ok thank you I am going to head over there myself. Anyone in particular i should speak with, and do you know if they are giving a refund for previous work? Thanks again
Old 01-20-2015, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by ThroughTheEsses
Hmmm mb Chandler just told me that they aren't currently covering AMG vehicles. He cited some bulletin that he read me over the phone.

I dont' see anything in the posted info so far that does (or does not) cover AMG models.
Call them back and ask them to pull your VMI. It WILL be in there as covered by the warranty extension. The document that says amg does not apply at this time is only an instructional document which does not mean those are the only models covered.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM

W211 E55
Scheduled to drop off my vehicle here at South Bay Mercedes in Torrance! They are definitely aware of the situation and have received information regarding the extended warranty. And.....some sort of recall regarding a wire needing to be replaced for the airbags.
Definitely happy!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
MBUSA has now updated the work instructions/procedure for the AMG vehicles. If your VMI says "Fuel Tank" (which I suspect most E55's will) they will replace your tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, and associated gaskets. A pre-assembled "complete" tank is not yet available so the parts are to be ordered separately (as is customarily done) and the tank assembled at the dealer. This is great news as everything will be replaced at the same time with new parts, avoiding repeat visits to the dealer as a couple of you have already experienced. Do it right, do it once, everything new.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:47 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by Brabus K8
Ok thank you I am going to head over there myself. Anyone in particular i should speak with, and do you know if they are giving a refund for previous work? Thanks again
Steven Davis is who takes care of all our family work. Mine was finished in a day. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. They changed everything, but my tank.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Steven Davis is who takes care of all our family work. Mine was finished in a day. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. They changed everything, but my tank.
not sure what part numbers you all are getting installed because the amg pumps and filter now have new part numbers since the warranty extension and the filter assembly isn't even available until april now. maybe some dealers are using up old stock?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:30 PM

GLS, JKU
Originally Posted by Rocman8
not sure what part numbers you all are getting installed because the amg pumps and filter now have new part numbers since the warranty extension and the filter assembly isn't even available until april now. maybe some dealers are using up old stock?

This is an excellent point - the same old parts going in is going to lead to the same old problems happening again - in essence waiting a bit is not a bad idea to make sure that non-defective parts are not going in _ and I'm guessing that will be a pre-assembled full tank assembly as with the regular E-Class.

Meanwhile in Canada this is our fix...
Old 01-21-2015, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
If you fill your tank to full and it seeps out it must be thru the housing itself or the o-ring or where ever else they leak from tank etc.... I personally saw one leaking but I can't recall where excatly it was by. I think I changed the o-ring. I really don't think a leak has anything to do with what the pump is delivering. Of course there are other factors when it comes to this, but from it leaking I doubt it. The leak isn't thru the deliver line to the engine? Or the pump itself?

I guess you can picture as if your fuel tank had a crack in it and it was leaking. That should have no affect on what the pump is delivering. Again, if the pump is starving for fuel then yes there will be a lean condition. I'm sure there are many different scenerios to this fuel issue and there is plenty of room for many different problems.

Ohh, Maybe we are talking about 2 different things. I apologize, I was referring to the fuel filter or pump assembly leaking fuel, squirting out and puddling….

I think you are referring to an actual crack in the tank and leaking on the floor? If so I can see what you mean.

I know the fuel filters next to the hose can leak so thats why I was asking if it can cause lean condition in the motor.

HULK, How bad does it have to leak to cause lean? Was your buddies a really bad leak like pooling and reaching of gas every time he drives the car. Or what was his symptoms? Any leak is bad. But, Do you have anymore data on this occurrence?

This is really good to see people getting there cars fixed and MBUSA finally stepping up! GREG MB is the man!! He should be made an honorary member of the year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23