W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 65 Nova

Mackhack,

Does this look OK to you? Rob
Old 05-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by RobE55

Mackhack,

Does this look OK to you? Rob
As expected. It is not ok. Only ...05 07 was installed on the driver side. Not the adapter on the passenger side nor the new harness for dual relay/dual fuse which goes from the trunk to the front of the car. And it is totally obvious from EPC that these parts are needed for dual pumps and all E55s have dual pumps which draw more current than the old ones. On top of that two of the 4 pins on the pumps have been swapped and therefore the adapter is needed to keep both pumps pumping forward rather than one pump pumps forward and the other pump pumps in reverse because of the reversed polarity.

MBUSA has admitted they know of the problems but as of today we haven’t heard from them (MBUSA) nor from the dealership what they are planning to do.

Last edited by Mackhack; 05-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobE55 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 AMG
2005 e55 AMG Fuel Sending Unit Leak; Tank Replacement

Sep 2017. Complete Fuel Tank replaced with "Covered Fuel Tank Components" Under Extended Warranty from MB. Work Completed a Local Dealership. Sat May 25, 2019 Vehicle lost All Power. towed to MB Dealership. Dealer investigated and advised to Replace Both Fuel Pumps/ Sending Units. Estimate to repair: $2500.00 When asked if it would be covered under warranty, Dealership stated that MB Corporate denied coverage, because it was repaired earlier under Warranty. Escalated to MB Corporate: offered to replace parts for free and Dealership offered a reduced rate of $800.00 to install, as Good Will. MB advertises 4 Year Warranty on Genuine MB parts, though they won't make good on this warranty.

Has anyone had 2 Failures on any of these these components after a Warranty Repair? Thank you!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Capt Bond
Sep 2017. Complete Fuel Tank replaced with "Covered Fuel Tank Components" Under Extended Warranty from MB. Work Completed a Local Dealership. Sat May 25, 2019 Vehicle lost All Power. towed to MB Dealership. Dealer investigated and advised to Replace Both Fuel Pumps/ Sending Units. Estimate to repair: $2500.00 When asked if it would be covered under warranty, Dealership stated that MB Corporate denied coverage, because it was repaired earlier under Warranty. Escalated to MB Corporate: offered to replace parts for free and Dealership offered a reduced rate of $800.00 to install, as Good Will. MB advertises 4 Year Warranty on Genuine MB parts, though they won't make good on this warranty.

Has anyone had 2 Failures on any of these these components after a Warranty Repair? Thank you!
MB never advertised 4 year warranty or can you show this to us? I’d be very interested in that. All parts have 1 year warranty except engine and transmission if replaced by new ones. Then they have 2 years of warranty. And there are no new transmissions anymore for the last 10 years, only refurbished.

But back to the topic, my pumps failed because they screwed up the warranty replacement of the tank and pumps in 2015. My car is at MB for exactly 3 weeks now because my pumps did fail a few weeks ago. But this can be read by scrolling up.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:56 PM

e55 AMG
2005 e55 AMG Fuel Sending Unit Leak; Tank Replacement

Originally Posted by Mackhack
MB never advertised 4 year warranty or can you show this to us? I’d be very interested in that. All parts have 1 year warranty except engine and transmission if replaced by new ones. Then they have 2 years of warranty. And there are no new transmissions anymore for the last 10 years, only refurbished.

But back to the topic, my pumps failed because they screwed up the warranty replacement of the tank and pumps in 2015. My car is at MB for exactly 3 weeks now because my pumps did fail a few weeks ago. But this can be read by scrolling up.

Mackhack;Per MB Website: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/part...ntenance-parts

"Fully Covered for 4 Years, Our Parts Limited Warranty protects your purchase, so you can continue to drive with confidence."

Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Capt Bond

Mackhack;Per MB Website: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/part...ntenance-parts

"Fully Covered for 4 Years, Our Parts Limited Warranty protects your purchase, so you can continue to drive with confidence."

Thats the key word I would say. But I’m glad you posted it. I literally just talked to someone else about this before we dropped off the car at MB 3 weeks ago and they told us 1 year and the few exceptions as well as no warranty on warranty repairs. That never made sense to me. You could go in get something repaired under warranty and literally while leaving their lot you notice it’s broken (out of the box) and the mechanic never tested it before. But since they messed it up I’m still hopeful they will do the right thing.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 65 Nova
Hi Mack.... I'm still driving OK... Any update on your experience?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobE55
Hi Mack.... I'm still driving OK... Any update on your experience?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7814252
Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Getting my 2006 CLS55 repaired under this recall.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 Model X DM | 2007 E63 | 2006 E46 M3
How long does it take to get this leak issue done at dealership when all parts were available to them?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jchen6
How long does it take to get this leak issue done at dealership when all parts were available to them?
One day, about 8 hours of work. Make sure you drive your tank empty or you lose the gas as they pump it out and discard it aka put it into some mechanic’s tank as I heard before.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-31-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 Model X DM | 2007 E63 | 2006 E46 M3
Thank you for letting me know!
Old 09-01-2019, 04:35 PM

I am sure my car is out of warranty. 2004 E55 buit in late 03. Getting a CEL (P2026) when I fill the car up. Very small fuel smell. Once the car gets down to 3/4 tank and its been outside all day, the CEL is gone. Live in Hawaii so the heat here is moderate and consistent.

Gus//
Old 09-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOWFAST
I am sure my car is out of warranty. 2004 E55 buit in late 03. Getting a CEL (P2026) when I fill the car up. Very small fuel smell. Once the car gets down to 3/4 tank and its been outside all day, the CEL is gone. Live in Hawaii so the heat here is moderate and consistent.

Gus//
Out of what warranty? That code was never covered under the warranty. I suspect that’s the evap valve/canister/filter. I don’t have my SD with me to check for you at the moment.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55
Hi,

Late to seeing this post but JUST got this issue fixed at White Plains, NY Mercedes. Had been smelling the fuel for a while, and my Independent Mechanic (Mike in NYC, he's amazing!!!) let me know about the recall.

I got it done in 2 days, car is running fine!!! I think it literally ended for 05 cars in August
Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adesola
Hi,

Late to seeing this post but JUST got this issue fixed at White Plains, NY Mercedes. Had been smelling the fuel for a while, and my Independent Mechanic (Mike in NYC, he's amazing!!!) let me know about the recall.

I got it done in 2 days, car is running fine!!! I think it literally ended for 05 cars in August
It literally ends 15 years after the first sales date of the vehicle.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM

2007 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by PHDZINE
2007 E550 with 81K miles.

Started smelling fuel about a month ago on fill ups. Saw this thread and dropped off my car at Penski Mercedes in West Covina CA. They knew exactly what it was and said it should be covered under the new extended 15 year warranty. They even gave me a loaner vehicle for free! Car was fixed the next day and they stated the entire gas tank had to be replaced. Awesome customer service over there!

Thanks guys for all the info!!!
Did you have a PZEV tank?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM

2007 Mercedes E350
PZEV

I have 2007 E350 with the gas smell, I called the dealer and gave the VIN number. He said he wasn’t seeing anything saying repairs would be covered. I went ahead and set appointment for $180 diagnostic fee. This is a California car with the PZEV tank, is this covered (I’m in northwest Louisiana)? I verified the tank is leaking via the driver side access panel, the passenger side is sealed.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM

2007 E350
Greeting all. I recently got a 2007 E350 and noticed the strong fuel smell when I fill up. Did a search and found this. But when I put my VIN into the NHTSA site, the recall isn't listed (car is originally a Canada car). Does anyone have a recall number? the original PDF linked to this 5 years ago is no longer valid. Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E63 AMG 2009 E55 AMG 2005 E63 AMG Wagon 2007
Originally Posted by ibnfawzi
Greeting all. I recently got a 2007 E350 and noticed the strong fuel smell when I fill up. Did a search and found this. But when I put my VIN into the NHTSA site, the recall isn't listed (car is originally a Canada car). Does anyone have a recall number? the original PDF linked to this 5 years ago is no longer valid. Thanks
So this is not a recall. This is an extended warranty for up to 15 years unlimited mileage. It only applies to the United States and since your car is in the US it should apply to your vehicle. If you want to verify chat with Mercedes customer service and they will tell you if your car is qualified. After that call up a MB service center and have them verify again that your car is covered and make an appointment to diagnose the fuel tank. I just had this service done on my 2009 E63 and did the exact same steps. Here are the documents:

Old 10-11-2019, 01:28 PM

S600
Hi all,
I just get back from MB Park Place in Arlington TX. They denied my 2009 E350 twice as of today.
What they did is punch in my VIN with service codes and MB USA will tell if that service is under warranty, which not in my case of smelling gas when fill up
Did call MB USA and got the same answer: your VIN is not under non PZEV nor PZEV with no explanation- just straight out of their database.
But now I guess why: my VIN is PZEV, but in the warranty booklet 2009 the PZEV states listed did not mention Maryland which where my used car was original sold. In this booklet also mentioned NJ origin only effective as of Jan 2009 deliveries. Which mean 2009 model delivered before Jan 2009 will not be covered by BOTH extended or PZEV 150K mi warranty. I'm sure there's lot of cases fall in to this period

Bottom line if your car is non-PZEV 2003-2009 E-class then this extended warranty applied
If your car is PZEV (VIN decode has code 917) then it has original warranty applied 15yrs/150K mi - check your warranty booklet.
My car originally sold in Maryland (now with me in Texas), at that time Maryland was not mentioned in the warranty booklet - so PZEV warranty is not applied!, so as NJ pre-Jan 2009 (as mentioned above)
Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
I bought my 2007 E63 NA back in Dec. '17 and after rebuilding the top of the engine and front suspension etc., I brought it into Mercedes NPB to address a No Start issue that ended up being a faulty/leaking fuel injector that caused a hydro-lock! I'll add that it was only after I confirmed that the engine wouldn't turn over manually that I then discovered fuel having filled full chambers closest to the drivers firewall by removing the spark plugs and then manually turning it over again to realize excess fuel spitting out. Immediately I sopped up the fuel with blue shop towels, sucked excess fuel out of the chamber's and then removed the whole fuel rail to see fuel dripping from one injector! This occurred mind you after I had removed them all during the rebuild and had them tested! Nevertheless, I replaced all the injectors but in addition I took a boroscope and had a look into the Intake Manifold and found about a half pint pooled at the bottom of the IM!!

At at this point, I was more than a little nervous about just trying to turn it over, so with my tail between my legs I brought her into Mercedes. Regardless Of my providing pictures with newspaper dates of the engine being in timing with not one but two Camshaft alignment tools mounted, they informed me that they would have to open her up nonetheless much to my chagrin!

I had brought with me a similar document as above referencing MB USA having had to comply with a settled lawsuit by honoring a guaranteed replacement of the Gas Tank ( including the fuel Pump and Sender and Filter!). The guys were not familiar with the issue per se, but sure enough, they called me to inform me that they did in fact inspect the Gas Tank and found it was leaking! I certainly didn't notice any smell but then again I had put maybe 50 miles on the car in the year or so that I bought it, and no more than 10 before I started the rebuild! They mentioned that it would take about a week to get it delivered from Germany and although I did pay a pretty penny to have them get her running, I have to admit it was a huge plus to have a brand new tank and all the fixings!

A giant pearl of wisdom I gleaned from the Tech was that after the engine had been dry for so long, the tech said that the only thing he did differently was to disconnect the injectors and first get the oil flowing by unscrewing the Oil Cap and toggling the key on/off ( like 50 times!) until his partner could see oil sloshing under the valve cover. Only then did they re-attach the injectors and she started right up!!

Last edited by E63007; 10-16-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:19 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Gents,

I recently did the fuel recall, and now I have a new issue with the auxiliary fuel relay/fuse burning/melting! This has happened twice to me now. Have any of you had/have this issue and if so, what was the fix to cure this issue?

Happy Holidays Gents!

Surfer70

Old 12-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Banned

Find my posts about this issue. We had it too and probably every E55 who got the new pumps has it, had it or will have it. We had our car back at MB to have the dual relay harness installed. MBUSA knows all about it but hope E55 owners won’t know so they can save money. Our E55 was back at the shop for 9 long weeks. The dealer finally agreed to take the hit of $2500 and will try to get the money reimbursed from MBUSA and not charged us for it.

MBUSA is one pathetic club of greed driven *******ers. I have zero left for them.

It’s time for a class action law suit agains them and we’re working on it since.

Long story short you need to document everything to the T, get them to install all necessary parts that are listed under the fuel pump itself in EPC and not just the parts that MBUSA tells them to install per the released DTB. If you’d go to the parts desk they would sell you all necessary parts. Of course it’s money in. With the warranty repair they spend as little on parts as possible for the bottom line numbers. But that repair is flawed and caused at least one E55 to go up in flames in the owner’s driveway.

We gave the service adviser a folder of about 30 documents and pictures (including the burned E55) to show them what they did wrong. At first they were butt hurt that that customer knows more about the car then they do. We spend nearly 2 hours in their office explaining and discussing the problem. After 9 weeks the apologized for their behavior and said if we want we can work with them and MB to find a long term solutions. It also helps that we know the right people and engineers in Stuttgart who had their hands in this pile of ****.

Last edited by Mackhack; 12-21-2019 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slider (12-02-2020)
Old 12-21-2019, 03:28 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Thanks MACKHACK! Do you know the thread/post number by any chance? This thread is 41 pages long!

If you start a class action please let me know and I'll join you! They need to take this SH$$ seriously when lives/structures are at RISK!

I know good attorneys here in SOCAL! I have receipts of everything done at my mechanics in regards to this......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23