W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015 | 01:03 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by HeissRod
I'm going to start a betting pool to see how many times you mention this.
Hahaha I'm done mentioning it lol
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:14 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
Please do my research before posting? Really? I've contributed to this board much longer than you have.

Here's the deal. All parts and tunes were purchased from Eurocharged, all installations done by RageTek, all dyno runs done on the same dyno during the same two month span with basically the same humidity and temperature. So any variables are out the window.

100% stock motor/tune with a CM30 pump and HE
411whp and 454wtq

ECU Dyno Tune by EC
444whp and 481wtq

added SC Pulley with Box Tune
451whp and 502wtq

added Kleemann headers with Box Tune
478whp and 515wtq

same mods with custom dyno tune
491whp and 525wtq

removed SC pulley with dyno tune
482whp and 510wtq

So there you have it.. I've posted various dyno graphs over the past 4 years to go along with these numbers. I've attended dyno days with some of the nastiest 55k's you'll ever see.

Don't come across like a veteran until you can bring more substance than a copy and paste from a vendors website.

By the way, nice jacket and pants...
Oooooook ok, you've gotten your point across. I will day I am a veteran in mechanics, just not with these engine setups. I've gone off of the countless forum posts where people state bull**** and come up with numbers out of their ***. I do say I respect you for taking the time and doing so many dynos, that's the type of thing I would do I can't tell you how many countless nights I've spent working on my car, changing setups, even changing intake lengths and styles on many drift cars I've had just to see end results. One of my good friends is now a professional drifter that I grew up with working on cars, drifting with Ken gushi and all those guys. But your right I can't show you any proof as I just got this car in January and still figuring out my plans for mods and things. I'm used to turbo, turning up the boost with a couple clicks, adding some fuel, a good tune and bam you make a **** load of power at ease and so much cheaper lol. Obviously I knew I was getting into a money pit with mercedes AMG but didn't know it was intense. But hey man you have my respect, sorry if I came off a little strong, just tired of all the posers out there thinking they know about cars. But good **** you got going on with yours!
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:19 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by kponti
Once again I will add, the dude was sick to his stomach after running an aftermarket supercharger pulley that let go after 2 to 4 years (was on the car before he bought it) causing a couple of thousands in repairs. But loving your car means spending over $2000 on plastic intake tubes with carbon fiber overlay.

Hey 10 year rotary engined veteran, two things:
1. Stock supercharger pulleys also lets go, mine did and shot a bearing out like a bullet toward my radiator, only stopped by the shrouds
2. MB probably spent a 100 times more dollars developing the stock pulley and stock intake than ANY aftermarket parts maker. Have you never wondered why a full aluminum pulley costs less than half of the plastic stock crap?
Oh by the way, I spent about $500 on my intake, NOT $2000
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:37 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Timbershake
Oooooook ok, you've gotten your point across. I will day I am a veteran in mechanics, just not with these engine setups. I've gone off of the countless forum posts where people state bull**** and come up with numbers out of their ***. I do say I respect you for taking the time and doing so many dynos, that's the type of thing I would do I can't tell you how many countless nights I've spent working on my car, changing setups, even changing intake lengths and styles on many drift cars I've had just to see end results. One of my good friends is now a professional drifter that I grew up with working on cars, drifting with Ken gushi and all those guys. But your right I can't show you any proof as I just got this car in January and still figuring out my plans for mods and things. I'm used to turbo, turning up the boost with a couple clicks, adding some fuel, a good tune and bam you make a **** load of power at ease and so much cheaper lol. Obviously I knew I was getting into a money pit with mercedes AMG but didn't know it was intense. But hey man you have my respect, sorry if I came off a little strong, just tired of all the posers out there thinking they know about cars. But good **** you got going on with yours!

No worries. You're car looks great. I see you're also in a warm climate. If I were you, I'd throw a stock pulley back on the car and upgrade the throttle body. With headers, throttle body and a good tune, you can be very close to 500whp and you wont have to worry as much about pulley failures.

Another options is to grab a Kleemann or Renntech 168mm crank pulley and a meth kit for cooling.

My upper pulley also failed on me. Luckily it was at idle so nothing was damaged. That's why I ultimately went back to stock.
Old 08-20-2015 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Timbershake
Oh by the way, I spent about $500 on my intake, NOT $2000
I'd certainly like to know how you swung that
Old 08-20-2015 | 02:56 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG

I'm going to post a tutorial very soon, I've got all the pictures and suppliers I used. I think it came out quite well.
Old 08-20-2015 | 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Timbershake, without quoting a page full of posts in this thread, there is a lot of very correct information in this thread that also corroborates with my findings.

First, my man card:
Past 13 years as an MB dealership diagnostic tech. 7 years before that- Factory trained Ferrari tech. Before that- a self-taught car guy, I was drag racing down in S. Florida in my '71 Dodge Dart (gutted and rebuilt front to back by myself except for the paintwork) back when a lot of the guys on here were playing Playstation Final Fantasy on their mom's TV. I used to have a 5.0 emblem hanging from a noose on my rearview mirror. Killed them all on the street- and later the paxton/steeda crowd, laid to waste. My Dart ran a whopping 12.28 in full street trim..on street "legal" tires...and that was FAST back in the mid/late 90's. The only cars that would beat me on the street were those with nitrous, full tubbed big blocks, or trailer queens that couldn't drive 2 miles without overheating, or getting pulled over by the fuzz for no mufflers..and that SOB with a small block in a 280z...I would take him up to about 40mph then he would walk past me. I'd run into him every Saturday night it seemed! OK, nostalgia over..manhood proven hahaha..Oh, random fact about me: I also have my own Fire Truck.

Our intakes- damn good in stock form. Remember, this isn't an economy car we are trying to turn into a race car (aka Honda) Our air filters are basically double the surface area (hence two filters!) of your standard passenger car/V8 motor air filter. Look at our tiny throttle body vs the size of the air filters/box. Coincidentally, I've also dyno'd at Ragetek in S. Florida, and, I was the one to test the Needswings air intake that same day. I picked up around 6whp if I remember. And honestly, that could have been because the car cooled for 2 hours while I waited to get back on the dyno after swapping out my stock airbox.

Supercharger pulley...I always thought about 15-20 WHP. Nothing to back that up, just my guess, but the numbers you are seeing claimed for that pulley are the pulley PLUS the tune. So subtract the tune alone, from the claimed number and there you have it- the net gain from the pulley itself over stock.

My dyno numbers line up with FinanceMike, both at Ragetek's dyno and another Dynojet locally at a Mustang performance shop.

I also have around forty+ 1/4 mile passes in my E55 at 2 tracks here in Florida. I've learned a LOT about the E55 at the track, more specifically what is real-world and what is B.S. here on MBworld (and the internet in general) about what our E55's run at the track. Everyone (myself included!) posts their best times. So, my car is a solid mid-11's car at the track. But I don't post the few 12.00's and 12.10's I've run due to poor prep or scorching hot weather. And my times were all on drag radials. You'll hear the E55 runs 12.4 stock. Yes, it does..in the right weather at the right track. I've seen plenty running mid 13's stock too, because it was hot, or high 13's because it was hot and the car was running street tires with traction problems. Take all these E.T.'s with a grain of salt.

Some other findings that debunk some MBworld myths- The 82mm throttle body is worth about 25whp..and .1 sec and 1 mph in the quarter, that's it. If sure feels like more though. The 10hp=.1sec/1mph rule does NOT apply at these power levels. On a 14 second car, yes. The .1sec faster 60ft = .2sec faster E.T. does not jive either. .1 in the 60 ft. = .1 in the E.T. PERIOD! I have a stack of time slips to prove it. Weather!! Good one- I've found a good (approx) rule of thumb for our cars is= .1sec and 1mph in the quarter for each 10F ambient temp difference. Example, 11.50@122mph @ 60F = 11.70@120mph @ 80F. No wonder our cars feel like they have 100 more horsepower when the temps drop into the 40's here in Florida!!

Just remember, the gains on our cars which are already designed to make some serious power from the good AMG engineers, are small steps, as AMG did a real nice job maxing out performance with reliability!!
!

So that's about it- note: I am not attacking anyone, I'm really not a chest-puffer type, it's all in good fun, and giving back information to this community who I have learned so much from. ..and I'm up for some internet racing any day!! But I'm not sure if I'd buy a car from Timbershake...j/k!

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 08-20-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2015 | 06:28 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Timbershake, without quoting a page full of posts in this thread, there is a lot of very correct information in this thread that also corroborates with my findings.

First, my man card:
Past 13 years as an MB dealership diagnostic tech. 7 years before that- Factory trained Ferrari tech. Before that- a self-taught car guy, I was drag racing down in S. Florida in my '71 Dodge Dart (gutted and rebuilt front to back by myself except for the paintwork) back when a lot of the guys on here were playing Playstation Final Fantasy on their mom's TV. I used to have a 5.0 emblem hanging from a noose on my rearview mirror. Killed them all on the street- and later the paxton/steeda crowd, laid to waste. My Dart ran a whopping 12.28 in full street trim..on street "legal" tires...and that was FAST back in the mid/late 90's. The only cars that would beat me on the street were those with nitrous, full tubbed big blocks, or trailer queens that couldn't drive 2 miles without overheating, or getting pulled over by the fuzz for no mufflers..and that SOB with a small block in a 280z...I would take him up to about 40mph then he would walk past me. OK, nostalgia over..manhood proven hahaha..

[still typing]

Hahaha that's what's up my man, your making it happen!!! I'm happy to see experienced people on here
Old 08-20-2015 | 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Hey greaser I remember it being 4hp on one run too for the intake, like I said stock air boxes are very good, on another note greaser is also a cool guy and gives lots of help on mechanical mb workings
Old 08-20-2015 | 06:46 PM
MBworld Guru

04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
Please do my research before posting? Really? I've contributed to this board much longer than you have.

Here's the deal. All parts and tunes were purchased from Eurocharged, all installations done by RageTek, all dyno runs done on the same dyno during the same two month span with basically the same humidity and temperature. So any variables are out the window.

100% stock motor/tune with a CM30 pump and HE
411whp and 454wtq

ECU Dyno Tune by EC
444whp and 481wtq

added SC Pulley with Box Tune
451whp and 502wtq

added Kleemann headers with Box Tune
478whp and 515wtq

same mods with custom dyno tune
491whp and 525wtq

removed SC pulley with dyno tune
482whp and 510wtq

So there you have it.. I've posted various dyno graphs over the past 4 years to go along with these numbers. I've attended dyno days with some of the nastiest 55k's you'll ever see.

Don't come across like a veteran until you can bring more substance than a copy and paste from a vendors website.

By the way, nice jacket and pants...
For what it's worth, I don't know if it's fair comparing a dyno tune number to a box tune number. What would have really solidified it for me would have been a dyno tune pre pulley and then dyno tune post pulley (no other changes). I know you can surmise the difference with your later numbers, but that's just me talking.
Old 08-20-2015 | 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Hulk
Hey greaser I remember it being 4hp on one run too for the intake, like I said stock air boxes are very good, on another note greaser is also a cool guy and gives lots of help on mechanical mb workings
Ah yes, the wonders of German engineering, or, as I say...Over-engineered to the point where it's unreliable.
Old 08-20-2015 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Hehehe
Old 08-20-2015 | 09:11 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
More boost doesn't equal more power all the time. High boost, high IATs, less air actually getting in means less power. The stock blower is probably near it's peak efficiency with not a lot of extra headroom . Hence why other mods especially headers perform so much better.
Old 08-20-2015 | 11:24 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'06 E55 AMG
Greaser and The incredible Hulk...two good posters right there.
Old 08-21-2015 | 10:07 AM

04 E55
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...t-filters.html

Even better, it can be done for $235. This is what I was going to do once crapmatic is out and coilovers are in.
Old 08-21-2015 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by rog2961
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...t-filters.html

Even better, it can be done for $235. This is what I was going to do once crapmatic is out and coilovers are in.
Pretty cheap homemade system, but I'm not a fan of the look of some of it.
Old 08-21-2015 | 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
That guy still never proved anything. No real info on if it works which prolly doesn't. Stock with the stock system and save the money
Old 08-21-2015 | 11:16 AM

04 E55
I love the charger whine
Old 08-21-2015 | 08:37 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by rog2961
I love the charger whine
Definitely one of the main reasons I did it!!! Stock is too quiet for me...
Old 08-21-2015 | 09:45 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by DVC
Greaser and The incredible Hulk...two good posters right there.
Old 08-22-2015 | 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!

Pretty cheap homemade system, but I'm not a fan of the look of some of it.
I have the dodge truck intake kit, if anyone wants to reproduce (brand new in box, I'll sell for cheap).
Old 08-22-2015 | 12:41 PM

2014 CLS63s AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey

First, my man card:
Past 13 years as an MB dealership diagnostic tech. 7 years before that- Factory trained Ferrari tech. Before that- a self-taught car guy, I was drag racing down in S. Florida in my '71 Dodge Dart (gutted and rebuilt front to back by myself except for the paintwork) back when a lot of the guys on here were playing Playstation Final Fantasy on their mom's TV. I used to have a 5.0 emblem hanging from a noose on my rearview mirror. Killed them all on the street- and later the paxton/steeda crowd, laid to waste. My Dart ran a whopping 12.28 in full street trim..on street "legal" tires...and that was FAST back in the mid/late 90's. The only cars that would beat me on the street were those with nitrous, full tubbed big blocks, or trailer queens that couldn't drive 2 miles without overheating, or getting pulled over by the fuzz for no mufflers..and that SOB with a small block in a 280z...I would take him up to about 40mph then he would walk past me. I'd run into him every Saturday night it seemed! OK, nostalgia over..manhood proven hahaha..Oh, random fact about me: I also have my own Fire Truck.

Our intakes- damn good in stock form. Remember, this isn't an economy car we are trying to turn into a race car (aka Honda) Our air filters are basically double the surface area (hence two filters!) of your standard passenger car/V8 motor air filter. Look at our tiny throttle body vs the size of the air filters/box. Coincidentally, I've also dyno'd at Ragetek in S. Florida, and, I was the one to test the Needswings air intake that same day. I picked up around 6whp if I remember. And honestly, that could have been because the car cooled for 2 hours while I waited to get back on the dyno after swapping out my stock airbox.

Supercharger pulley...I always thought about 15-20 WHP. Nothing to back that up, just my guess, but the numbers you are seeing claimed for that pulley are the pulley PLUS the tune. So subtract the tune alone, from the claimed number and there you have it- the net gain from the pulley itself over stock.

My dyno numbers line up with FinanceMike, both at Ragetek's dyno and another Dynojet locally at a Mustang performance shop.

I also have around forty+ 1/4 mile passes in my E55 at 2 tracks here in Florida. I've learned a LOT about the E55 at the track, more specifically what is real-world and what is B.S. here on MBworld (and the internet in general) about what our E55's run at the track. Everyone (myself included!) posts their best times. So, my car is a solid mid-11's car at the track. But I don't post the few 12.00's and 12.10's I've run due to poor prep or scorching hot weather. And my times were all on drag radials. You'll hear the E55 runs 12.4 stock. Yes, it does..in the right weather at the right track. I've seen plenty running mid 13's stock too, because it was hot, or high 13's because it was hot and the car was running street tires with traction problems. Take all these E.T.'s with a grain of salt.

Some other findings that debunk some MBworld myths- The 82mm throttle body is worth about 25whp..and .1 sec and 1 mph in the quarter, that's it. If sure feels like more though. The 10hp=.1sec/1mph rule does NOT apply at these power levels. On a 14 second car, yes. The .1sec faster 60ft = .2sec faster E.T. does not jive either. .1 in the 60 ft. = .1 in the E.T. PERIOD! I have a stack of time slips to prove it. Weather!! Good one- I've found a good (approx) rule of thumb for our cars is= .1sec and 1mph in the quarter for each 10F ambient temp difference. Example, 11.50@122mph @ 60F = 11.70@120mph @ 80F. No wonder our cars feel like they have 100 more horsepower when the temps drop into the 40's here in Florida!!

Just remember, the gains on our cars which are already designed to make some serious power from the good AMG engineers, are small steps, as AMG did a real nice job maxing out performance with reliability!!
!

So that's about it- note: I am not attacking anyone, I'm really not a chest-puffer type, it's all in good fun, and giving back information to this community who I have learned so much from. ..and I'm up for some internet racing any day!! But I'm not sure if I'd buy a car from Timbershake...j/k!
I didn't get to see the rest of what you wrote. You know what, your absolutely right. For many years I've been used to taking **** and making it into a rocket. In fact I'm waiting to rebuild the engine in my 240sx spun a rod bearing but I guess I keep forgetting these beautiful machines we all own are practically maxed out and we're pushing them beyond the limits. I have to say I'm so proud to own this beautiful car, was just suprised about the pulley busting. But all in all, we have to "pay to play" I look forward to continually learning about them...
Old 08-22-2015 | 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450, 2014 e63
Eurocharged stage 1 pulley

So guys I jus thought a 06 e55 with stage 1 minus the heat exchanger, the guy said he put the pulleys on in November am I clear of these issues, I drive the car hard once in a blue moon
Old 08-22-2015 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by AMG__POWER
So guys I jus thought a 06 e55 with stage 1 minus the heat exchanger, the guy said he put the pulleys on in November am I clear of these issues, I drive the car hard once in a blue moon
Stages are really not used here. And if your running the stock HE it's not considered st 1 even if we did. And EVERYONE is clear of these issues untill they happen. Could be a day could be 10 years.'
Old 08-22-2015 | 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450, 2014 e63
Ok so I just need to wait and see if something dies happen the vendor should replace it correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BROKEN SUPERCHARGER PULLEY DESTROYED my car!!!!