Sponsored by:

Using STAR DAS after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Diagnostics after engine replacement

The beast is about to go back on the road after many months with the motor being rebuilt (amongst other things) but the mechanic doing the work hasn't got STAR DAS. He seems to think his normal diagnostics will tell him all error codes that need clearing. The motor is misfiring on number 5 but aside from that seems ready to roll. I've insisted on taking it to a dealer for a default initialization and function check. Am I correct and could the misfiring be related to a system adaption or initialization? Also is there anything else we should be doing at this stage or other tips/advice from anyone...?

Last edited by TheTherapist; 12-22-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Default initialization is a must as well as resetting the ring gear rotor adaptation which can cause misfires.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Initial Quick Test Log

I took the car past a Mercedes mechanic today and had them run STAR - the list of error codes is quite extensive! They did print the 9 pages of codes which I have scanned and included below.

The car itself is not running well with all 4 cylinders on the one bank misfiring. The dealer that ran these diagnostics did not feel confident enough to attempt to resolve as this is something they don't have experience with so from there I took it to the main Mercedes dealer in my city and upon reading the first page of the STAR diagnostics printout the representative there gave me a similar attitude!?

So now I've got a car that is running so bad that I'm too nervous to even drive it back to the mechanics workshop and cannot find anyone to even fix it for me - well the guy from BEA (the main dealer in my city) reluctantly said "they will look but it could get expensive at $181 per hour"!!! This is after spending around $18,000 already between the engineering firm who built the motor and the mechanics workshop! WTF!

So I'm hoping that someone here can give me some encouraging information? Here are the scans from the Initial Quick Test Log:

Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Clear all the codes, run it a day or so, and then see what codes are current. Stored codes just indicate "something happened" but it could have been as simple as disconnecting lines from the front or rear SAM or some component without disconnecting the battery.

The "Current" codes are the ones with which to be concerned. Get rid of the dross, then focus on what is left.

Keep us updated.

FWIW, I check the code status on both of my AMGs regularly. Maybe one in ten is a real issue that needs to be addressed. The other nine out of ten occurred because I was working on the car. YMMV.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-23-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Clear all the codes, run it a day or so, and then see what codes are current. Stored codes just indicate "something happened" but it could have been as simple as disconnecting lines from the front or rear SAM or some component without disconnecting the battery.

The "Current" codes are the ones with which to be concerned. Get rid of the dross, then focus on what is left.

Keep us updated.

FWIW, I check the code status on both of my AMGs regularly. Maybe one in ten is a real issue that needs to be addressed. The other nine out of ten occurred because I was working on the car. YMMV.
I'm fairly certain that the codes were cleared prior to these pages being printed so they show the current status. The car is running rough with power way down on what it should be - this may be caused by the injectors/cylinders being shut down by the ecu as a result of the misfiring?

Incidentally the injectors have been upgraded as part of the rebuild together with a looped rail being installed. Eurocharged has adjusted the tune accordingly. I am thinking the next step could be to go back to a stock tune to resolve the issues first or would this be detrimental?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
does it start misfiring as soon as you start it? once it warms up? on acceleration? if its always misfiring on that bank then i would wonder if the engine builder didnt time it correctly.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
It is unlikely that the codes were cleared before this scan was made. The Undervoltage errors would go away if the codes were cleared before. The over voltage ones are kind of strange.
Looks like you have misfires on multiple cylinders, not just one specific cylinder.

As someone mentioned before, focus on the current ones not so much on the stored ones. Clear all the codes and re-scan with ignition on to make sure they went away and then start the car, drive around for a bit and rescan. Multiple misfires can be caused by quite a few things.

Quite a few airbag errors (not related to your misfires).
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Check all the normal stuff. Pull the intake off and check the breather tube on the valve cover that often gets left off. Also the little Y pipe in the bottom of the throttle body. The throttle body plug and the bypass valve plug are interchangeable, but I don't remember what problems that causes, it might not even run. Then clear all the codes and see what comes back.