Trans issue or Eurocharged TCU issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Trans issue or Eurocharged TCU issue?

I have a new to me 05 E55, 67K miles.

The previous owner stated that the car has a EC Pulley, ECU tune and a TCU tune.

The issue is that when I'm driving and accelerate semi aggressively and let off, the trans jerks/slams into the next gear as I let off. I.e. 2nd gear to 50 mph and let off, the shift into 3rd is quite harsh.

Also if I tip in normal from a red light and the car starts off in 2nd and slightly give it some more throttle, and I mean a teensy bit, as the car rolls out, I feel it 'jerk' slightly like it may want to downshift to 1st but it doesn't.

This is driving in the comfort mode in full auto.

Driving 'aggressively' and not letting off it feels ok, but I dont want to get a ticket in order to have a smoother shifting trans....

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Not sure if this is a TCU issue or if I may have low fluid level or dirty fluid.

Not trying to knock Eurocharged or start a flame war. Just from lurking people are fairly on polar opposites on how they feel about their products and services.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The shifting thing happens to stock cars too. Could be made worse by bad motor mounts and/or TCU tune, but I thought they leave comfort alone. Take it to one of the tuners and let them drive it would be your best option.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
if i jump on it a little to get through a yellow light or pass someone aggressively mine holds the gear and keeps the revs up and then will upshift 4 or 5 seconds later when the speed maintains a constant but its not in comfort mode -- normal ?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by new55
if i jump on it a little to get through a yellow light or pass someone aggressively mine holds the gear and keeps the revs up and then will upshift 4 or 5 seconds later when the speed maintains a constant but its not in comfort mode -- normal ?
Yes in s mode it will hold revs it waiting on you to punch it again and avoid a lag and have to kickdown a gear. I have noticed in comfort mode it will do alittle of this from time to time

The OP says when he lets off it slams into the next gear. Never heard of that before
Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by redassag00
I have a new to me 05 E55, 67K miles.

The previous owner stated that the car has a EC Pulley, ECU tune and a TCU tune.

Also if I tip in normal from a red light and the car starts off in 2nd and slightly give it some more throttle, and I mean a teensy bit, as the car rolls out, I feel it 'jerk' slightly like it may want to downshift to 1st but it doesn't.
Sounds very characteristic of SC clutch engagement. Which is normal. The effect may be exacerbated by a smaller SC pulley, as the torsional resistance is increased slightly by the smaller diameter.
​​

Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Yes in s mode it will hold revs it waiting on you to punch it again and avoid a lag and have to kickdown a gear. I have noticed in comfort mode it will do alittle of this from time to time

The OP says when he lets off it slams into the next gear. Never heard of that before
I've noticed that if I'm full-on into the throttle and start to back down to half or so within say 500-700rpm prior to the shift point, the trans will freak, hold the gear, then hard shift, from time-to-time. Certainly all due to my throttle application though.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rob CL
Sounds very characteristic of SC clutch engagement. Which is normal. The effect may be exacerbated by a smaller SC pulley, as the torsional resistance is increased slightly by the smaller diameter.
​​

I've noticed that if I'm full-on into the throttle and start to back down to half or so within say 500-700rpm prior to the shift point, the trans will freak, hold the gear, then hard shift, from time-to-time. Certainly all due to my throttle application though.

Thanks Rob and everyone else for the replies. I been traveling and haven't had time to reply.

I think you're spot on about the SC clutch engagement.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
Try to reset the ECU to erase the transmission adpation

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/148019-holy-crap-you-guys-sneaky-ecu-reset-works.html
The following users liked this post:
redassag00 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by mAMG
Try to reset the ECU to erase the transmission adpation

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html

Yes do the sneaky ecu reset.

Also the SC clutch engament feels like a lunge in power.
The following users liked this post:
redassag00 (01-29-2017)