Sponsored by:

722.6 shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
722.6 shifting

Hey guys I have an 06 S55 but the guys in that board seem to be stumped so I thought I would see if you guys could help me.. if I drive normal and slow everything is fine but if I am at a stop and I give it a bit more throttle than normal it feels like it's trying to either shift again or the converter is locking up.. it feels like a shift almost because I can feel the torque management or the engine cut for a second like it does shifting but even in manual mode in first it will do it and sometimes driving in Sport and giving a little extra throttle at a normal speed it will do it like it's trying to shift at the wrong time.. I just put a brand new throttle body from MB into the tranny too. Any ideas would be a help! Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Sounds like a torque converted issue if the valve body is squared away... else, it would be internal failure (clutchpacks).

How was the fluid? Any metalic specks?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:11 PM

That's wha I'm thinking.. fluid actually looked good.. would the converter acting up not show up on Star? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
That's wha I'm thinking.. fluid actually looked good.. would the converter acting up not show up on Star? Thanks!
I think so, but my knowledge stops here. Bumping thread hope you figure it out.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
I have been having the same problem with mine as well and I have a new MB remanned trans with only 19k on it as well as new torque converter. I have replaced TCU and all but its in the shop cus I bought a new VB from MB and it got worse with theirs over the original one i had been tinkering with. Originally i started replacing lil parts known to be problems with the VB with upgraded sonnax parts. My car had 2 problems, the first was like u have described and the other was even more strange. If i went from park to drive ... went in everytime no probs .... if I went from park to reverse went in perfect ... but as soon as I went from reverse to drive it would delay for like 5 to 8 secs sometimes longer, so weird. With my old VB it was sporadic ... changed a few things an that never happened again ... but the weird double shift was still there sometimes. So i ordered a new VB from MB and filled with new 134 fluid, perfect level, and suddenly the delay was ALWAYS there if I went from reverse to drive.

So they took the car last week to do the fuel system per recall and decided to do the VB for me as well. I asked to just get another and they said they had to do it themselves and I was like come on .... logic says if it wasnt doing it with my old one and I just installed a new one and it does it again and even worse logic says thats the problem lol. But ok they can put it in ... clean up the mess ... install new fluid ... and fix it and their lending me a 2017 GLS 450 suv to drive, its very nice of them. Ill let you know what happens and what they say and do ... I dont foresee this being something wrong with the new remanned trans, clutch packs, or pump its only got 19k on it not to mention there is zero shavings or clutch material in it looks brand new inside and out .... sadly its just out of the 2 years warranty but under the 24k part. You would think MB would still take care of it these trans should last much longer especially for what they charge.

But I highly recommend Farmington Mercedes in Utah for any needs they are a real CLASS act, they have gone above and beyond to help me out and normally I dont let anyone touch my car I like to do my own mechanics. But their techs are great, service is number one talk to Segar or Jonathon if your ever in there.

Last edited by E55amg0220; 05-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 PM

I'm glad to hear someone else has the issue but sad you have to put up with it too! Funny thing is when I installed my new VB they gave me the wrong one.. it was for the right trans but wrong revision/year.. once installed I had a huge delay in shifting to all gears like you describe and they had to replace it on their dime.. once done that was gone completely but I still have this second shift issue and I really think it's either the TQC or a speed sensor of some kind telling the car it's going slower than it is.. but I guess that maybe isn't feasible.. did you get a rebuild converter? All four of my S classes even one with 30k did this but nowhere near as bad.. I wonder if their converters just aren't that great.. I noticed a UPD 3k stall converter on eBay for a grand.. almost ready to try it because nobody else has any answers!!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Yeah I am starting to wonder if I have the wrong one for the trans as well he did it by my vin but idk if it would be different because it got a remanned trans by MB that it may be different hummmmmmm. Hopefully they have my original one to check the part numbers

No my torque converter was a new one by MB put in at the same time as the trans or so they say haha.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 PM

I'm wondering if these converters are just not that great.. UPD makes a 3k stall converter I may try..
Old 05-13-2017, 01:58 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
yeah I dont know ..... im still waiting on my car to get done, I stopped in today lil over a week since I dropped it off and talked with the shop foreman ... whos awesome and he said ... " im waiting for the new fuel tanks to get here and we need a rep to come out and look at the VB cus its not throwing codes and such." I was like "ummmmmm but the problem can be replicated easily!" and I even linked him to this post cus of your same problem with the VB that you had bought. I said "Point is the delayed engagement was NOT there before so it shouldnt be there now .... they have my core so they should be able to get the number off it and verify that they have the right or wrong one on hand.

Their good people and hopefully this gets resolved asap I was suppose to go on vaca a week ago .... the manager said I cant take the loaner out fo state so i cancelled and changed it to this coming monday ..... and now i have to cancel that as well UGGGHHH! Only good thing thats happened is they switched me out of the 2017 gls SUV to a much more "ME" 2017 beautiful blue C43 AMG .... its quick and does have AMAZING trans shifting esepcially in sport + but still not near as fast as my E55 haha. But I hope they get this all fixed asap cus my wife is livid cus of the vaca probs we have had now especially trying to change our times off work.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Hope it works out when they installed the wrong converter in mine it didn't throw any codes either..
Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
So went an checked on my car today ..... looks like things are moving along well. I heard they got the new tanks in n wking on the new valve body as well.

These are good guys so i highly recommend anyone in the utah area check out farmington Mercedes top notch guys. Jason the shop manager is a pleasure to wk with. Aaron is their shop foreman an has always gone out of his way to help me out and knows his mercedes! The service guys are polite, professional, an informed. So stop it talk to anyone of them Scott, Jonathon, or Sager an tell them Chris sent ya. Sorry for the plug but i always will go out of my way to recommend a great shop when i fine one.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Got my car back today adn while it is better an the guys at Farmington Mercedes did a fantastic job but where it was delaying only when going from reverse to drive for like 10 to 15 secs ..... now its delaying in every gear but only for a couple seconds not gunna kill me but still sucks cus with both previous valve bodies it would go right into reverse and even drive if i went from park to drive. But i contacted them and hopefully they can help me out I am hoping that maybe MBUSA will help out a bit the car has a new remanned trans and torque converter both with less than 21k on em and just over the 2 year warranty .... im sorry but these 2 parts should last a lot longer than that. Maybe we can talk them into helping halfway or something, fingers crossed.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble! I pick my car up tomorrow from having the transmission rebuilt and I am using a shop that has done MB trannys for 32 years.. they have developed fixes for most of the known issues and are even written about in technical journals and used by Mercedes themselves! I was telling the guy my issues and how I've had four of these cars and I've always felt the converter locking a little after it shifts (however none were ever as bad as this one) and he told me it's because he converters MB uses in these transmissions have a major problem. He said the sleeve of the converter that goes on to the input shaft is aluminum and after a short time it starts to oval like an egg.. once that happens the seal no longer works and pressure is lost causing this issue and many other issues. To correct this they have cut the aluminum sleeve out and designed and replaced it with a steel sleeve and a very expensive seal which solves the problem completely and along with their other modifications the transmission has very nice positive shifts! I can't wait to pick it up! It comes with a two year unlimited mileage warranty.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
How much is it going to run you?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble! I pick my car up tomorrow from having the transmission rebuilt and I am using a shop that has done MB trannys for 32 years.. they have developed fixes for most of the known issues and are even written about in technical journals and used by Mercedes themselves! I was telling the guy my issues and how I've had four of these cars and I've always felt the converter locking a little after it shifts (however none were ever as bad as this one) and he told me it's because he converters MB uses in these transmissions have a major problem. He said the sleeve of the converter that goes on to the input shaft is aluminum and after a short time it starts to oval like an egg.. once that happens the seal no longer works and pressure is lost causing this issue and many other issues. To correct this they have cut the aluminum sleeve out and designed and replaced it with a steel sleeve and a very expensive seal which solves the problem completely and along with their other modifications the transmission has very nice positive shifts! I can't wait to pick it up! It comes with a two year unlimited mileage warranty.
What is the name of the shop?
Where are they located?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 320 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
So glad my trade at the dealer is a transmission rebuilder. It's a very taboo line of work and very expensive.