E63 M156 Updated Dipstick - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 M156 Updated Dipstick

Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,461
Thanked 121 Times in 104 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
E63 M156 Updated Dipstick

hey guys,
any idea why Mercedes updated their dipstick? my original one's grab loop was broken so i ordered a replacement. the replacement was a red handle vs a black and made from flat steel vs metal cable.

only thing i could think of is the cable could get kinked and not return to proper shape which could cause false readings whereas the flat metal if bent could easily be bent back to give proper readings.
hachiroku is online now  
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Dublinoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Dublin,OH. Ft Myers, FLA
Posts: 612
Thanked 79 Times in 74 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I have no idea why, but my Indy replaced mine first time he had the car, like it mattered. Didn't ask, didn't explain just did it.
Dublinoh is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 01:14 AM
  #3  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 e63 amg
I also had the grab hook on my cable type of dipstick break. Ordered one from the dealer which when I got it was a metal type dipstick. I asked the parts guy and he told me this is the latest rev. of that part. I told him that this was for a 2007 and was told that this dipstick is for the M156 engine. Well it was a good thing I did not throw the old one away, when comparing the two, the metal dipstick is overall longer and the plastic marking ***** are in different locations. So now when I use the dipstick to check the oil level, I have the lay it out against the old one to see where the level actually is
TempeAMG is offline  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,461
Thanked 121 Times in 104 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
when i did the comparison, the plastic markings were pretty close. the newer metal dip stick did look like the high marking was a few mm lower than the factory one, but nothing to worry about.

did you do a comparison from the lower o-ring?
hachiroku is online now  
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,686
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
My Tech informed me, that MB had a service bulletin out for this part. Once he examined my E63, he found that oil was be forced up thru the dipstick at high RPM. The new dipstick and cap doesn't allow this to happen.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Hi All,
I checked my oil today and found out that the red bottom part of my dipstick, the part that has min-max marks on it, has cracks. I want to change the dipstick before any plastic falls comes out and falls into the engine. Does anybody know the part number for 2007 E63 Amg? I can't find it on parts.com. Thanks in advance.
Rovel is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 807
Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
2007 E63 sedan with 248k miles
Originally Posted by Rovel View Post
Hi All,
I checked my oil today and found out that the red bottom part of my dipstick, the part that has min-max marks on it, has cracks. I want to change the dipstick before any plastic falls comes out and falls into the engine. Does anybody know the part number for 2007 E63 Amg? I can't find it on parts.com. Thanks in advance.
The part # that i am coming up with is 156-010-17-72 through EPC
Racin_fool is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Racin_fool View Post
The part # that i am coming up with is 156-010-17-72 through EPC
Thanks, I put that number in search and according to ECS tuning it fits my car: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ck/1560101772/
But according to MBOemparts it won't: https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...PWxheWVyXzg%3D

I will use that number in parts.com and ask them to verify it will fit before shipping. Thanks
Rovel is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 807
Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
2007 E63 sedan with 248k miles
I just did a search for a 211.077 matching the car description you provided (2007 E63) into EPC and that is the last updated part it provides.
Racin_fool is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 09:36 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
HI all, I hate the updated dipstick. It is so much harder to read the level. The factory one was much easier. The metal piece always gets stained with oil making it harder to see where the level is.

I drained all the oil including the oil cooler, then put 8.5 liters of oIL and it is above the max according to the updated dipstick. How in the world? Doesn't m156 hold 9.5 liters? I wish I kept the factory one
Rovel is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,686
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
If you put in 9.5 quarts, then you are good regardless to what the dipstick is saying. I always put in 9.5 quarts, and have never had any issues in 11 plus years of ownership.
Yuille36 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuille36 For This Useful Post:
tlambert (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
If you put in 9.5 quarts, then you are good regardless to what the dipstick is saying. I always put in 9.5 quarts, and have never had any issues in 11 plus years of ownership.
Just came back from the dealer. The confirmed that the updated dipstick I bought had correct part number. They cannot understand why putting 8.5 quarts brought the dipstick to above max level. They also confirmed that the engine takes 8.5 liters or 9.5 US quarts. They shrugged their shoulders and recommended bringing the car in for the next oil change and have them do it, so that they can measure how much oil goes in.
Rovel is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,686
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by Rovel View Post
Just came back from the dealer. The confirmed that the updated dipstick I bought had correct part number. They cannot understand why putting 8.5 quarts brought the dipstick to above max level. They also confirmed that the engine takes 8.5 liters or 9.5 US quarts. They shrugged their shoulders and recommended bringing the car in for the next oil change and have them do it, so that they can measure how much oil goes in.
This is good to hear, it's better to have just a little more oil in the car, than to not have enough oil. That's reminds me to check my oil the next time, to see where my oil level is at.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,461
Thanked 121 Times in 104 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
**deleted** saw comment above

Last edited by hachiroku; 05-29-2018 at 07:25 PM.
hachiroku is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
This is good to hear, it's better to have just a little more oil in the car, than to not have enough oil. That's reminds me to check my oil the next time, to see where my oil level is at.
I did another oil change today and added 7.5 quarts. Checked level and it was just under the max (second mark) on the dipstick. How in the world? Poured one full 5 quarts bottle and attaching the picture of the second one. Added a little more later just to be safe - about 8.5 total. Scared that adding 9.2 may cause damage to gaskets and stuff.
Rovel is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,686
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by Rovel View Post
I did another oil change today and added 7.5 quarts. Checked level and it was just under the max (second mark) on the dipstick. How in the world? Poured one full 5 quarts bottle and attaching the picture of the second one. Added a little more later just to be safe - about 8.5 total. Scared that adding 9.2 may cause damage to gaskets and stuff.
Did you drain the oil cooler, because that holds roughly a qt. Maybe a little more?
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,461
Thanked 121 Times in 104 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
sorry for the bad photo. here is my dipstick after last fill up. we drained the oil cooler and oil pan and then poured 8.6 quarts into the engine and then started her up for 5-10 minutes. afterwards we checked the dipstick after normal operating temperature. oil was GROSSLY over the max fill line. checked the dipstick 3 more times for safe measure and confirmed...yes this new dipstick reads entirely wrong. added 0.8 more quart with a big middle finger. last oil change my mechanic used the dipstick as a measurement and about 1500-2000 miles prior to my next oil change, my low oil light came on. i did hoon the car quite a bit, but i've never had the low oil light come on prior to the new dipstick even with hooning. also, i have had all oil leaks repaired and my engine does not burn oil. it does burn oil through the PCV if I redline and snap the throttle closed and coast multiple times...from what I gather, the PCV sucks all that oil vapor out and over time can lessen the overall amount of oil in the engine. this is expected generally speaking.




Last edited by hachiroku; 10-19-2018 at 01:59 PM.
hachiroku is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 06:18 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Rovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
sorry for the bad photo. here is my dipstick after last fill up. we drained the oil cooler and oil pan and then poured 8.6 quarts into the engine and then started her up for 5-10 minutes. afterwards we checked the dipstick after normal operating temperature. oil was GROSSLY over the max fill line. checked the dipstick 3 more times for safe measure and confirmed...yes this new dipstick reads entirely wrong. added 0.8 more quart with a big middle finger. last oil change my mechanic used the dipstick as a measurement and about 1500-2000 miles prior to my next oil change, my low oil light came on. i did hoon the car quite a bit, but i've never had the low oil light come on prior to the new dipstick even with hooning. also, i have had all oil leaks repaired and my engine does not burn oil. it does burn oil through the PCV if I redline and snap the throttle closed and coast multiple times...from what I gather, the PCV sucks all that oil vapor out and over time can lessen the overall amount of oil in the engine. this is expected generally speaking.
I really think that these updated dipsticks lie. I wish I never threw the original one away and could measure with that one I would totally buy the old one, but can't find even on ebay.
Rovel is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,461
Thanked 121 Times in 104 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
well when i compared my old one versus the new one they didn't line up that's for sure. i don't remember exactly but they did not line up.
hachiroku is online now  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,686
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I think that they updated the dipstick, due to the possibility of the red plastic pieces could break off. Which wouldn't be good to have plastic bits floating around inside your engine, as a oil passage could become block.
Yuille36 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: