Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
87 Grand National; 2006 e55
Transmission experts, please step in - STAR adaptations reset

Hey all,

Quick question:

I am about to replace my PWM (TCC Lock up) solenoid, along with adding the Sonnax overlap sleeves and TCC damper sleeve to my valve body. My question is, once complete, should the shift adaptions be reset in STAR? (I am not referring to the sneaky ECU floored pedal reset.)

I have a STAR system, but have read some conflicting info on this board on whether or not these adaptations should be reset. I certainly wouldn't want to harm anything.

Some background: I am replacing these components in an effort improve upon the 1-2 shift, which sometimes, mainly under heavier throttle, gives the feeling of an extra "bump" right before the shift. It doesn't feel like a flare, but rather a bump, where there's an rpm pause, then after the bump it rises an extra 100-200 rpms, where the actual shift then occurs. This is in S mode. The slight bump/pause is also felt im M mode (or manually S mode), where you feel the bump/pause (in first), and then rpms continue to rise (still in first) until you actually hit the button and shift.

There are no codes stored. Adaptation values/fill times are all within limits. (Though not too many negative value numbers.) Sorry for the lengthy newbie post. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
It'd help to know what car you have since you have a GN posted in your profile. The E55 and E63 use different transmissions.

Since you mention the sneaky ECU reset I'm guessing you have an E55.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:01 PM

I'm sorry about that. Yes...its a 2006 e55; 722.6. My apologies.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,006 Likes on 782 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Do not reset. The adaptation is primarily for the fill cycles which are dependent on clutch pack wear. If replacing clutch packs, then reset. FWIW.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,006 Likes on 782 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Addendum. If you do reset, you will need to reset the adaptations in accordance with guidelines as in the ATSG 722.6 transmission manual somewhere around page 80 or so...
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 PM

(Here is a pic of the 1-2 shift adaptations.)

Thanks for the info, bbirdwell. Much appreciated. I will hold off on the Star Adaptation reset.

I tried to attach a pic of the 1-2 adaptation screen. Everything is lower than the limit value, though I'd prefer numbers closer to the negative. Does anything the explain that "bump/pause" mentioned earlier? Any other input is truly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by quikv6; 08-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
How many miles on the transmission?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM

The car has 150k. There is a possibility that the trans was dug into before. It does have a converter and a Weistec TCU. I also know there was some regular maintenance done, along with a conductor plate at one point. Any insight from the adaptation data?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
I would be willing to bet that whatever you are feeling is not the transmission at all but if you think it is the converter you can disable it with STAR and then test drive it and see if it still does it. If it does not then you do not need to worry about the TCC solenoid. You can reset adaptations any time you want. There is a specific TCC learn procedure that you can do. Just FYI the solenoid either works or it does not. Normally they fail in that they stick on when warm. The converter clutches will chatter or get grabby and it will cycle on/off. Or if worn out not work at all. Flare on a 1-2 shift is only because of the one way sprag is not working and it is really noticeable not a small thing.
Anyways as I started off with it sounds more like maybe a hiccup in your engine tune or something of that nature if it is happening before your shift. Especially if you are not even commanding the shift in manual mode and it does it. But go ahead and disable the TCC and test it is really easy and then you know.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 AM

That is very solid advice. I did not think of disabling lock-up in STAR. Thank you for that.

Do my adaptation numbers for the 1-2 shift indicate anything outside the box?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quick update:

I replaced the PWM/TCC solenoid today, along with the 3 sonnax overlap sleeves for the shifts. (1-2/4-5, 2-3, 3-4). I did not install the TCC damper sleeve, mainly because of time constraints due to having to split apart the valve body and remove everything. I may consider this in the future.

Installation: Straight-forward. I will say that it definitely pays to be methodical and clean. The fluid was bright cherry red, and there was no signs of sludge/clutch material in the pan. Granted, I had done a pan drop for a filter change about 1,200 miles ago, so I'm sure that is why. The solenoid replacement was a basic remove/replace. The overlap sleeves were the same, though the fit was quite a bit tighter than the original sleeves. I suppose that's the whole point. Care should be taken with the o-rings when sliding the sleeves in.

Driving impressions: Overall, a small, noticeable improvement throughout all shifts. I mainly stayed in D-Sport. The duration of time during a shift seemed to be slightly lessened, which feels like an improvement. It felt a bit "sharper", though not firmer.

As for the 1-2 "bump" I was experiencing, it seems to have disappeared under very light throttle. Under heavier throttle, I do still feel it. It just feels like a very quick pause of acceleration, then a resuming of acceleration for a few hundred rpms, where the 1-2 shift happens, and total normalcy thereafter. It does not feel ignition related whatsoever.

Overall, there is a small, positive improvement in the shift feel. I will also add, I did NOT reset shift adaptations w/ STAR or do the sneaky reset. I must admit, I am thinking about the STAR adaptation reset....though I am apprehensive.

Any other input/insight is always appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by quikv6; 08-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 324 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
It has to be the converter and 1-2 shift happening very close together. I chased this thinking it was a slide bump shift for a while and then decided to turn off the converter.....no more funny shift feel. It can be very pronounced or subtle but almost always there.
Bbirdwell and Whipplem know there sheet so listen to him. But I will tell you I have gone into adaptations a few times playing around with TCU tunes and never had any problems. It also is a given the harder you drive these transmissions the better they end up shifting.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Thanks SICAMG,

I am definitely going to go into STAR and disable the TCC lockup, just for test purposes. I may pull the trigger on the STAR adaptation reset, but that will be a plan B. After reading many posts and doing extensive searching on this board, it's clear that there are, some knowledgeable folks around here, and it's a really great resource. Thanks to all thus far.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Update

So I just wanted to update with some real data, after adding the Sonnax overlap sleeves. I have driven 200 miles thus far, and have NOT reset any adaptations. Attached is an updated "after" photo of the 1-2 shift adaptation, to compare with the before photo in an above post. It is clear that the car has recognized a difference and adjusted adaptations accordingly. Multiple vales have dropped, so it really appears this was an improvement based on the numbers.