W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jbaker1121 - New E55 Owner Intro Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
Jbaker1121 - New E55 Owner Intro Thread

Just picked up this super clean 1-owner 2004 E55 from a local Mercedes dealer.

The e55 came out when I was 12 and I've always liked them due to their wolf-in-sheeps-clothing mannerisms. I've have experience with many different cars from muscle to tuners to exotics and this is just an all-around great car and at the prices they go for now, can't really beat the combination of comfort and power.
To comfortably burn rubber and have supercar (of that era) speed all while having seat coolers and massage on and a relatively quiet ride if needed has always appealed to me. This is to be used as a nice weather fun daily driver for my commute....

About The Car -
The previous owner had the car serviced at the Mercedes dealer it's entire life, and on average had the car maintained every 3,000 miles and appears to have made great use of the extended warranty over the years, even replacing things like the cupholder at 95k, etc. and new brake rotors within the last 1k miles. Over the years some problem-area things have already been replaced like the crankshaft position sensor at 80k, ABS pump/motor at 70k, big service at 100k and 125k among other nitpick items -- The guy even brought it to the dealer to have the lightbulbs replaced over it's life. No drips, funny smells, rattles, complaints so far.

The guy finally traded it in for a new AMG model (dealer wouldnt tell me which one)

The miles are 138k but the car shows as if it had 38k - every single thing works down to the headlight washers and cooled seats...see pictures below.

My Maintenance Plans -

My initial plans are to address the usual higher-mile items like to split the cooling system, possibly upgrade the heat exchanger. However, in driving the car the last two days in 90 degree weather and high humidity, the temperature displayed did not exceed 100C even after a few higher-speed pulls and sitting in traffic. I am not sure if it's necessary just yet.

Additionally, the dealership, upon it's initial inspection upon trade-in, said that one of the rear air shocks has a small leak (car does not squat at all) and both the rear main seal and valve cover gasket have a small seepage leak. There are no drips under the car and upon a visual inspection nothing more than some seepage, but it's something to keep an eye on. The valve cover gasket was replaced last at 77k so it's probably due for a new one anyway.
Upon spirited driving there are no oil burning smells, smoke from front or rear, nor any complaints from the car during or afterwards.

The dealer also said the spark plugs are due for a change, as they appear to be the original set.

So I plan to buy new spark plugs, upgrade the injectors, new valve cover gasket, keep an eye on the RMS and air struts for the time being.

Upgrades & Modifications -

I plan to daily drive the car in nice weather and of course do some spirited driving as well, so I plan to modify the car while keeping it's wolf-in-sheep's clothing mannerisms.

- TIRES - Since the current set is very low, I plan to buy a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as the summer almost over...
I have read that the largest size that can go on the factory 18's is 275/35/18 - does anybody claim differently?

- OEM satellite receiver (I believe the 04 are pre-wired so I just need to buy the module and antenna - anyone have one for sale?) + add bluetooth music streaming via AUX

- Replace or vinyl wrap the aluminum trim surround on the shifter - one of the few imperfections in the car.

- Fix armrest leather as it has a slight "pull"

- Front plate bracket that was on was 1) installed crooked and 2) left 6 holes and some scrapes -- will either fill + have bumper painted, or just re-mount correctly (sometimes need to parallel park - rather them hit that than the bumper...)

- Restore the headlights, fog lights

Performance Modifications - I am aiming for at least 550 rwhp

- Upgraded injectors - Bosch 550 kit

- Split cooling with the BMW power steering reservoir

- Headers - eurocharged or MBH

- TUNE - eurocharged ECU/TCU (will the TCU tune make it drive like a drag car or still have manners around town?)

- Pulley - Need to do research on which size to go for as I have read going to small requires a lot of upgrading to cooling

- Quaife LSD - eventually if I decide to go that route.

Visual / Exterior Modifications:
- front lip, carlsson or brabus style - not sure if I want CF, black or painted.
- trunk / roof lip - on the fence, need to see pictures of them on silver car w pano roof
- rear diffuser
- LED parking lamp, license plate lamp to match headlights
- PIAA / Philips Yellow fog light bulbs (to actually use for fog)
- Clear side marker front bumper

I have been on these forums for a bit but am glad to have joined the W211 AMG family... Any experience with my above questions would be greatly appreciated! (Yes I can search too)

More pictures to come as I have not gotten a chance to clean it up after the rain the other day....

Mods - please feel free to resize the images as I am unaware how to do it... thanks

Last edited by jbaker1121; 08-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (03-31-2023)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Welcome! See my thoughts below in red.

Originally Posted by jbaker1121
- TIRES - Since the current set is very low, I plan to buy a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as the summer almost over...
I have read that the largest size that can go on the factory 18's is 275/35/18 - does anybody claim differently? You wont have any issues with these, and you can go bigger but a lot of it depends on wheels/offsets/ride height. I currently run 285/30-19 stock ride height with no issues and I'd say with the stock wheel you probably wont have any issues with 285 tires.

- OEM satellite receiver (I believe the 04 are pre-wired so I just need to buy the module and antenna - anyone have one for sale?)

Modifications - I am aiming for at least 500 rwhp

- Upgraded injectors - Bosch 550 kit

- Split cooling with the BMW power steering reservoir I wouldn't waste your time with the reservoir/split cooling only. You will need a better cooling plan anyways. Get yourself at least a bosch 010 pump and an upgraded heat exchanger, if you want to split do it then. No real need for the BMW reservoir you can just run a fill hose up on the passenger side some where and plug it, keep it tucked away so it looks clean. Or if you have to have something nicer I'd probably go with an underhood tank. The BMW set up is a waste of money.

- Headers - eurocharged or MBH Eurocharged only sells midlength headers these days. For LTH either MBH, ARH if you want quality for a hefty price or there are several different Chinese brands that are cheap and work fine.

- TUNE - eurocharged ECU/TCU (will the TCU tune make it drive like a drag car or still have manners around town?) I wouldn't waste any money on the TCU tune to be honest (speaking from experience). I have EC and RaceIQ tunes, both are quality but if you're only going to go with one I'd probably lean towards raceIQ for the free re-tunes. I've sent him tons of retune requests for parts changes, data longs etc. Turn around time is pretty long but he's always sent the re-tune no questions asked, very cool. EC is $100 an hour for custom tuning (via logs) and $35 for any base tune change based on new parts.

- Pulley - Need to do research on which size to go for as I have read going to small requires a lot of upgrading to cooling 77 if you're going to get some good cooling, otherwise probably 83 if you dont care to get into cooling too much.

- Quaife LSD - eventually if I decide to go that route. Wavetrac is a great option as well and I think can usually be had a little cheaper. I put the wavetrac in my car and it does what it's supposed to, never any issues.

If you weren't already planning on it I would put some monitoring on here. Wideband and OBDII will do fine. Keep in mind OBDII is very limited, logging perimeters one at a time or MAYBE two at a time is really the only way to get any decent polling. The MB ECU only puts out about 5-6 data points per second, split between how ever many points you are logging. One PID is 5-6 data points per second, two PIDs = 2-3 per second, as you can see it becomes useless fast. I use a serial logged wideband and OBDII but I am very particular to make sure when I'm logging something I'm usually only looking at one thing at a time. Timing is key because it's very easy to see knock on the timing curve, and I've noticed that most tunes come optimized for 93 octane. If you are in a state with pisswater gas like myself the canned tunes usually have too much timing and until you get them to pull some out your timing curves will look like an ekg.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by drothgeb
Thanks for the feedback. Since I just got the car I want to see how it acts under my normal driving as well as spirited driving before doing many of the mentioned upgrades.

Tires - I want to go with the biggest I can especially on rear. Do people usually match the F/R tire sizes or run smaller front?

Cooling - Like I said, I have not seen any overheating issues "yet" with normal driving, traffic, and some quick runs - but I know this is an area to keep an eye on with these cars. I think at minimum I'd upgrade the pump. Which heat exchanger is usually recommended? Should I get new radiator at same time?

Headers - I am wary of chinese production metals as I have had experience with them rotting out at the welds. i'd rather spend more in the beginning than have to fix it later... are MBH the ones to go with? I have removed cats before on my last car and had it tuned --- will the E55 computer complain when the LTH are in and the cats are out -- or will whatever tune I get talk to it properly to remove the error? (I know about spacing the 02 sensors etc as well)

Tune / datalogging - there are a few dyno shops nearby (NYC area) that have experience w AMGs but I plan to do maybe a dyno tune and leave it alone unless I make further modifications. I am not familiar with the live datalogging and making my own adjustments. On the last 2 cars I had where I did mods and tunes I just did custom dyno tunes...

LSD - I prob won't want/need for a while but I know LSD generally better than no LSD....

Spark plugs - some say to go colder, worth it on the e55?

intakes - plan to just swap filters --- are upgraded intakes shown to actually do something on these cars with a tune etc?

thanks again
Old 08-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
wow that is clean for 138K. i bought mine with 90k less miles and the center console was in way worse shape.

sounds like you've done your research.

Do you plan on keeping the stock wheels? I just went with the stock sizes - 245/40/18 F & 265/35/18 R when i recently put new pirellis on

it's not the engine that needs cooling, but the intercooler. if you've done a few back to back pulls and are still producing power i'd guess your i/c pump is already been replaced. the power loss is drastic when it shuts off fully so you'll know pretty soon. I think VRP has a good secondary & a replacement h/e

I'm fully stock now so i can't help much on the mods. I'd love to grab some MBH headers but still can't justify the price

good luck and keep us posted on the build
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kiluminati616
wow that is clean for 138K. i bought mine with 90k less miles and the center console was in way worse shape.

sounds like you've done your research.

Do you plan on keeping the stock wheels? I just went with the stock sizes - 245/40/18 F & 265/35/18 R when i recently put new pirellis on

it's not the engine that needs cooling, but the intercooler. if you've done a few back to back pulls and are still producing power i'd guess your i/c pump is already been replaced. the power loss is drastic when it shuts off fully so you'll know pretty soon. I think VRP has a good secondary & a replacement h/e

I'm fully stock now so i can't help much on the mods. I'd love to grab some MBH headers but still can't justify the price

good luck and keep us posted on the build

Thanks - yes, when I saw the car and the condition of it, plus the maintenance history, I knew I was comfortable with the miles. It’s super clean.

I do plan on stock wheel for now but want as much rubber as I can get.

I also plan to keep it stock for a bit and just have it running 100% before modifying.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
Looks like a good buy with well sorted service history. Your car is missing a few options that I can see: Parktronic, Distronic, and Keyless Go. Not sure if you have the rear and side sunshades, solar panels in the pano roof, active headlights, and power trunk. You've got the ventilated and dynamic seats that I wish I had I've always thought these cars had so many "modern" available options for the early to mid 2000s
Old 08-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by KAMG
Looks like a good buy with well sorted service history. Your car is missing a few options that I can see: Parktronic, Distronic, and Keyless Go. Not sure if you have the rear and side sunshades, solar panels in the pano roof, active headlights, and power trunk. You've got the ventilated and dynamic seats that I wish I had I've always thought these cars had so many "modern" available options for the early to mid 2000s
Thanks for the info - You're right - I forgot they had that stuff going back to 04 -- I thought they only had the keyless in 05+.
I do have the sunshade in rear, active headlights, Do not have the power close trunk, not sure about solar panels. I also have the headlight washers, and other stuff.

The dynamic seats are great, and I have the seats on cool venting all the time...

The best part is, all of the gadgets seem to work, too. So far I am very happy.

Last edited by jbaker1121; 08-02-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
Thanks for the info - You're right - I forgot they had that stuff going back to 04 -- I thought they only had the keyless in 05+.
I do have the sunshade in rear, active headlights, Do not have the power close trunk, not sure about solar panels. I also have the headlight washers, and other stuff.

The dynamic seats are great, and I have the seats on cool venting all the time...

The best part is, all of the gadgets seem to work, too. So far I am very happy.
The bladders and fans in the seats are troublesome for some people, glad yours are working Make sure to service the pano roof (service schedule will indicate when it needs to be lubricated), or it can get pretty expensive
Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by KAMG
The bladders and fans in the seats are troublesome for some people, glad yours are working Make sure to service the pano roof (service schedule will indicate when it needs to be lubricated), or it can get pretty expensive
I'll check to see if it's been serviced - so far it seems to be fully operational. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
KAMG (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Has anyone simply purchased one of the "power packages" from ARP instead of piecing together different performance parts? Are their HP claims accurate? I appreciate they have the whole kit as an option and includes cooling equipment - easy to just buy it all at once and slap it on.

Once I do a few maintenance items I plan to strap the e55 to a dyno and see what sort of numbers I'm getting as a baseline. Definitely feels to be in the mid 400s range based on other cars I've drive, and the tq definitely there......
Old 08-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
CLS55 AMG
I haven't purchased a power package but I have a pretty detailed thread in the W219 section on how to get over 500 rwhp easily all parts and dynos are posted there.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
broom
Those seats are in great shape for that many miles. Congrats and welcome.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:16 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
245 front and 275 are the maximum safe sizes on the stock wheels according to most charts.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I bought my 2005 with stock wheels running 255/285 and it’s been fine for the last 14k miles in my ownership. I will say the 255’s look a bit silly up front with too much rubber, but the 285’s are great.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by lost27
I haven't purchased a power package but I have a pretty detailed thread in the W219 section on how to get over 500 rwhp easily all parts and dynos are posted there.
Thanks I’ll take a look

Originally Posted by boosted305
Those seats are in great shape for that many miles. Congrats and welcome.
I know right! Only real wear is left bolster from getting in and out of car

Originally Posted by tw2
245 front and 275 are the maximum safe sizes on the stock wheels according to most charts.
thanks!

Originally Posted by Jake528
I bought my 2005 with stock wheels running 255/285 and it’s been fine for the last 14k miles in my ownership. I will say the 255’s look a bit silly up front with too much rubber, but the 285’s are great.
Gotcha. I was thinking 285 r 245 front....
Old 08-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Took a couple of hours to clean up the exterior a bit, try to polish out some scratches, and give it a nice coat of wax. Headlights got some restoration as well but I’ll probably do it again with more aggressive polish. It cleans up nicely for 15 years old.

ive realized the font brakes give off a ton of dust so made sure to get a nice coat of wax on the wheels. Need to order new center caps as these are pitted. The stock wheels could also use a refinishing... to come later.

Took it it out last night and really “drove” it for once on some empty stretches of highway etc... running like a dream and no apparent cooling issues so far...

Old 08-03-2019, 07:20 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Jake528
I don't mean to thread derail but any pics? 285/30/18?

I think the 245 and 285 combination might be a bit mismatched for best performance. There is an excellent video from tyrereviews on YouTube trying different staggered combinations on a BMW. The best combo was increasing them both equally in terms of braking and handling.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tw2
I don't mean to thread derail but any pics? 285/30/18?

I think the 245 and 285 combination might be a bit mismatched for best performance. There is an excellent video from tyrereviews on YouTube trying different staggered combinations on a BMW. The best combo was increasing them both equally in terms of braking and handling.
Well yeah I think good idea is to increase both from stock.....
Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Had a little little fun last night... definitely need new tires... I’ve driven fast cars but these cars definitely like wagging their tails....
Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
+1 in Red!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I am thinking of going for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear after reading up about tire sizing on the forums. I'll likely go with a separate set of winter tires/wheels for the cold months, although I have other cars to drive in bad weather/snow (jeep).

Drove it in the rain the other evening after a dark cloud came out of nowhere and these almost-bald tires hydroplaned all over the place. Def need new tires.

Took it on the local mountain roads up near Bear Mtn, Harrison State Park - Can't want to see how the car hooks and takes turns with a new set of rubber. So capable for a 4500lb+ sedan!

Last edited by jbaker1121; 08-05-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
If I had another car to drive for the winter. There’s no way in hell I would drive the 55 in ice or snow. I’ve been in the rain twice and that was because I got caught out in it. Hahaha.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I love driving my CLS in the snow, It's the salt I won't drive it in. I have to park it for the whole winter.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tlambert
If I had another car to drive for the winter. There’s no way in hell I would drive the 55 in ice or snow. I’ve been in the rain twice and that was because I got caught out in it. Hahaha.
I'll likely park it for most of the winter but depends. We have other cars to use in bad weather.

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I love driving my CLS in the snow, It's the salt I won't drive it in. I have to park it for the whole winter.
Makes sense. So much salt used around here.

----

Ordered a few goodies this week:
- OEM Rubber mats -- dirty carpet drives me nuts and rubber easier to clean
- New cabin charcoal filters (I think the original ones still in)
- OEM Satellite Module
- Clear side markers for front bumper
- LED lights for driving lamps, license plate lamps.
- Yellow PIAA Fog lights
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Oil Filter

Ordering soon:
- New tires
- Spark Plugs (colder?)
- Drop-In Filters (aFe? K&N?)
- Oil - my buddy swears by Motul 8100 oil, but am thinking just go with the dealership Mobil 1...
- New Center caps for wheels - current ones faded (can't decide to go original silver backing, black backing, or silver/blue crest version...)
- metal pedal covers (option #106)
- e63-style painted trunk lid spoiler

Down the road:
- performance: LTH, Tune, pulley, upgrade cooling....

I really plan to drive the car stock for a while to get the most out of it before upgrading, but I am very tempted to get an exhaust/ different muffler on here at least...

Last edited by jbaker1121; 08-06-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Jbacker I sent you a pm.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jbaker1121 - New E55 Owner Intro Thread