Sponsored by:

Adding XM radio to a non-Xm vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55
Adding XM radio to a non-Xm vehicle

Just purchased a 2006 E55 to replace my 2006 E55 that was totalled in late July. Like my old car, this one is fully loaded with the exception of satellite radio. I would like to add this to my car as the FM radio sucks these days. What parts do i need and what is involved? I thought I read somewhere that the trunk was pre-wired for the module and antenna? Is there anything else I need other than a module and antenna?

Anyone who has done this before please chime in!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
01 E55
Just tagging along for info...
Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I don't think that adding a Satellite Radio to your existing system would be too difficult. I'm fortunate that my E63 already has this, as a factory option.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 PM

2006 E55
My previous 06 came with it as well. I am hoping it is pre-wired and it is as simple as adding the XM receiver and an antenna.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
I just did this to my 2004, Should be the same for 06... it's super easy as long as you're a little flexible. Your car *should* be pre-wired. Just need to buy the tuner and plug it in, then activate it.

Go in trunk and try and peek in the passenger side trunk lid arm "hole" - if you see some orange cables etc you're prewired. See pics in attached pdfs.

Then, buy a SAT tuner/receiver, I got mine for $42 shipped https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mercede...72.m2749.l2649

You can buy the bracket for the tuner or DIY it. Usually people sell bracket for same cost as the tuner itself... I just used zip ties to hold it in place

Then, you need to buy an antennae for the tuner/receiver, I just bought a siriusXM one on eBay/Amazon for $15. instead of running it to the factory trunk lid location (ugly) I put mine in the rear decklid under the glass, there is a slit in the decklid to push the wire through. Reception is OK but cuts out in heavy wooded areas or very cloudy days (similar to other SAT tuners of the era - not great). I pick up 6-9 Satellites on the average day.

There are DIYs on the forums here if you run a search, but it is pretty straightforward. Most difficult part is adding in the "loop" on the MOST -- this is the part you need to be flexible for!

See the attached docs, sent to me by another forum user - hope they help. Let me know if you have any questions.

See attached pdfs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
82.60_309.pdf (1.27 MB, 213 views)
82.70_280.pdf (3.24 MB, 74 views)
rear side panel removal.pdf (174.6 KB, 53 views)
SIRIUS_ESN.pdf (411.6 KB, 50 views)
2nd generation.pdf (568.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by jbaker1121; 09-05-2019 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
I just did this to my 2004, Should be the same for 06... it's super easy as long as you're a little flexible. Your car *should* be pre-wired. Just need to buy the tuner and plug it in, then activate it.

Go in trunk and try and peek in the passenger side trunk lid arm "hole" - if you see some orange cables etc you're prewired. See pics in attached pdfs.

Then, buy a SAT tuner/receiver, I got mine for $42 shipped https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mercede...72.m2749.l2649

You can buy the bracket for the tuner or DIY it. Usually people sell bracket for same cost as the tuner itself... I just used zip ties to hold it in place

Then, you need to buy an antennae for the tuner/receiver, I just bought a siriusXM one on eBay/Amazon for $15. instead of running it to the factory trunk lid location (ugly) I put mine in the rear decklid under the glass, there is a slit in the decklid to push the wire through. Reception is OK but cuts out in heavy wooded areas or very cloudy days (similar to other SAT tuners of the era - not great). I pick up 6-9 Satellites on the average day.

There are DIYs on the forums here if you run a search, but it is pretty straightforward. Most difficult part is adding in the "loop" on the MOST -- this is the part you need to be flexible for!

See the attached docs, sent to me by another forum user - hope they help. Let me know if you have any questions.

See attached pdfs
Awesome. I checked in my trunk last night and found that despite what many people online had said my 2006 is in fact pre-wired for XM. I just snagged an XM module on ebay for $30 and will grab a cheap antenna and I should be good to go. The only part I am confused about is what fibe optic wires I am supposed to connect in front of the spare tire. I guess I will figure It out as I go though. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Awesome. I checked in my trunk last night and found that despite what many people online had said my 2006 is in fact pre-wired for XM. I just snagged an XM module on ebay for $30 and will grab a cheap antenna and I should be good to go. The only part I am confused about is what fibe optic wires I am supposed to connect in front of the spare tire. I guess I will figure It out as I go though. Thanks!
Look in the PDF I attached, it's pretty straight forward. You'll see two fiber optic wires with connectors not connected to anything and taped to other wires. remove the tape, open the MOST connections at those points and loop in the two 'loose' wires.

The hardest part for me ironically was getting the fiber optic connectors open because I was doing it wrong.

If you did not buy a mount/bracket, you can either make your own, or zip tie the unit to the area near where it plugs in, like I did.

For running the antenna, there is a small slit in the rubber gasket between rear shelf and trunk area where you can slip the antenna cable through (from inside the cabin to trunk), then run the antenna cable under trunk area to right of trunk where the SAT unit plugs in.I used some electrical tape to hold the wire in place, and some velcro on the bottom of the antenna to hold it against the shelf liner.

Again, reception isn't 100% in that location, especially in the woods and when very cloudy, but I still pick up 6-9 satellites, but probably not that much worse than factory location anyway.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Shop satellite radio receiver part # 2118706790. Your call to use OEM trunk mounted antenna utilizing pre-wiring or aftermarket connected direct to receiver. MOST will need to be coded to incorporate receiver using MB DAS.

Attached Files
82.60_466.pdf (1.59 MB, 191 views)
SIRIUS_ESN.pdf (411.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Shop satellite radio receiver part # 2118706790. Your call to use OEM trunk mounted antenna utilizing pre-wiring or aftermarket connected direct to receiver. MOST will need to be coded to incorporate receiver using MB DAS.
Mine did not need to be coded, when I plugged it all in it worked once I called Sirius to activate! Luck of the draw I suppose..