Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Angry Supercharger Cutoff / Limp Mode At WOT

SOLUTION FOUND: See post #15 in my thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post8253075

I have this weird issue where my E55 will just cutoff the supercharger and go into limp mode (ESP Visit Workshop) until restarted.
Car drives great as long as I'm not on it 100%. Once I go WOT a few seconds later you can feel it cut the supercharger then the ESP light comes on and I get some codes...
Just recently started happening as the weather got cooler. Has ran fine for months.

Here is a video of the car acting up (the clunk you hear is me hitting the steering wheel with my phone due to S/C cutoff):

I ran a STAR "Quick Test" to get all of the codes.
See attached PDF (DAS1.pdf) if interested.

The only codes in the report that stick out are:
ME2-SFI - Motor electronics 2.8
P207C ( Supercharger ) , Mechanical fault (P0660)

ESP - Electronic stability program
531A The CAN message from control module Motor electronics is invalid or
implausible.

System diagnosis
930E Synchronization of the DTC memory cannot be ensured./

Ignore the low voltage codes in the DAS document. I had just unplugged my battery when changing brake pads...

The ESP codes will clear with just a simple restart of the car. The car also leaves limp mode and lets me use the supercharger again.
However the ECM codes stay current and stored...

I ran some diagnostics, clutch on S/C engages fine with star... The intercooler pump is working fine...
I checked the super charger wiring/clutch plug, cleaned the throttle body, reset the car by leaving both batteries unplugged for 24 hours.
Spark plugs, MAP sensor, IAT sensor and crankshaft position sensor all replaced within ~2500 miles.
I tried a sneaky adaptions reset, replacing the conductor plate and even a new TCU... Nothing seems to help.

In order to help figure out what the issue is I made a few runs using Torque to do some data logging of my E55...
First pull is at about row 655 in the attached "tracklog" file.
The IAT seems fine, reaches a peak of 109F under load....

I'm sort of at a loss right now... I'm not sure where to look next.
Some people had mentioned it possibly being the accelerator pedal but I haven't seen any codes for it and it doesn't act up except at WOT.

I had made a different thread but it was before I did all of my testing/research. This one is combined with the steps I have taken and log/DAS data.

In case it helps here is the list of mods on my car
Mods:
77mm UPD SC Pulley
VRP Belt Wrap Kit
550cc Injectors
VRP 3" Intake Kit
PLM XL Heat Exchanger
Split Cooling
Removed Resonators
RaceIQ Tune
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DAS1.pdf (96.4 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by OldPizza; 01-22-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:44 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Two odd things in your log relating to boost:

1) Around 689, you are at 70% throttle at a higher speed, but are making no boost, that should be impossible given your mods (which are basically identical to mine!).
2) Around 927 you are at 10 psi under WOT, which seems too low but at least more 'normal'

I'd run another log and only track boost, rpm, and TPS. Those numbers could just look bad because the log didn't pick up enough data points. If you have WIS look up the mechanical fault code and what parameters set that code, that will be your best diagnostic path. If not I can look it up after work . IATs are fine so no worrying there. For reference my car at 60mph at WOT with your mods makes just a hair over 15 psi (I'm also at sea level).
Old 01-19-2021, 11:59 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GinDistiller

1) Around 689, you are at 70% throttle at a higher speed, but are making no boost, that should be impossible given your mods (which are basically identical to mine!).
2) Around 927 you are at 10 psi under WOT, which seems too low but at least more 'normal'

I'd run another log and only track boost, rpm, and TPS. Those numbers could just look bad because the log didn't pick up enough data points. If you have WIS look up the mechanical fault code and what parameters set that code, that will be your best diagnostic path. If not I can look it up after work . IATs are fine so no worrying there. For reference my car at 60mph at WOT with your mods makes just a hair over 15 psi (I'm also at sea level).
1) that makes sense, this was after my car went into limp mode and turned off the supercharger so obviously no boost, I was wanting to see what it looked like when I tried to accelerate in limp mode.
2) that also make sense, I had turned off the car and restarted it then did another WOT run. It seems like I'm only able to make 10 - 11 lbs of boost before I get thrown into limp mode...

I've used WIS all of like two times, hah. I'll try to look it up in WIS and see if I can figure anything out.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:42 PM

2005 E55 AMG

I played around in WIS and I cannot figure out how to lookup the mechanical fault code. If you don't mind looking at it when you get time I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldPizza
I played around in WIS and I cannot figure out how to lookup the mechanical fault code. If you don't mind looking at it when you get time I would really appreciate it.
Absolutely, it's a web of deceit and confusion, but I was in there a lot last month and hopefully can find the fault code pages again, I'll look tonight!
The following users liked this post:
OldPizza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
Let me tell you on my sl55 when I accelerated WOT it would give me ESP error and complete loss of power. Would have to turn off car and turn on and it would be fine again. I changed my accelerator pedal with a used one and it fixed my issue. I don’t remember if I had a code or not for it

edit: looked up thread history and I had errors via icarsoft

-B37 (accelerator pedal sensor): Signal 1/short circuit to positive/potentiometer above maximum value (P0123)
-The CAN data from control module Motor electronics is invalid or unreasonable (Accelerator pedal position)
-ESP Electronic Stability Program Control

Last edited by Amir_AMG; 01-19-2021 at 05:37 PM.
OldPizza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:49 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
Let me tell you on my sl55 when I accelerated WOT it would give me ESP error and complete loss of power. Would have to turn off car and turn on and it would be fine again. I changed my accelerator pedal with a used one and it fixed my issue. I don’t remember if I had a code or not for it

edit: looked up thread history and I had errors via icarsoft

-B37 (accelerator pedal sensor): Signal 1/short circuit to positive/potentiometer above maximum value (P0123)
-The CAN data from control module Motor electronics is invalid or unreasonable (Accelerator pedal position)
-ESP Electronic Stability Program Control
Sadly I don't have any pedal related codes... My dad does have an 09 E63 on jack stands right now, maybe I'll go steal the pedal from his just to test it out. hah.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:53 PM

Sooo I'm stumped. I can get to the screen with the engine faults, but neither P0660 or P207 show up! You need to put in car info at the top, then 'browse', then go to 'Diagnostics', 'Engine', and then select the 4th volume (I think the 3rd option) and that will pull up a guide to look at codes and fault data. I don't have your VIN but selected E55 Kompressor so it should have worked the same, no idea why those codes aren't listed in that section. See attached for a rough reference. One other thought: When you are in DAS and scan the codes in the ME, is there any option to investigate further, double click etc to bring up the fault sheet? The last picture I attached is a detailed sheet for an 82mm TB related intake leak, that I got when I was in DAS scanning codes. Give that a try!

Select the 113 engine

#2-#4 have fault codes listed, but no P0606

Details pulled from a code scan in DAS>ME
OldPizza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 12:08 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Sooo I'm stumped. I can get to the screen with the engine faults, but neither P0660 or P207 show up! You need to put in car info at the top, then 'browse', then go to 'Diagnostics', 'Engine', and then select the 4th volume (I think the 3rd option) and that will pull up a guide to look at codes and fault data. I don't have your VIN but selected E55 Kompressor so it should have worked the same, no idea why those codes aren't listed in that section. See attached for a rough reference. One other thought: When you are in DAS and scan the codes in the ME, is there any option to investigate further, double click etc to bring up the fault sheet? The last picture I attached is a detailed sheet for an 82mm TB related intake leak, that I got when I was in DAS scanning codes. Give that a try!

Select the 113 engine

#2-#4 have fault codes listed, but no P0606

Details pulled from a code scan in DAS>ME
Well at least we're both stumped now. Haha
Thanks a ton for taking the time to look into it for me. I'll try what you suggested tomorrow and see if there is a way to "investigate further".

I talked to DTK today, he said he has seen similar behavior with tune issues before. Apparently it can be a fueling issues. He is going to make a tune for me and see if he can correct it. We'll see.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:48 PM

Any updates? I got curious running a Google search and came across a german forum (you need to click translate if you're in Chrome) and it turned out to be a bad IAT sensor. Odd I know, but they are cheap to try!
https://stern-freunde.de/forum/thread/9125-esp-defekt/
OldPizza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:55 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Any updates? I got curious running a Google search and came across a german forum (you need to click translate if you're in Chrome) and it turned out to be a bad IAT sensor. Odd I know, but they are cheap to try!
No updates yet. Great find though!
I had changed out my IAT sensor (2000 miles ago) because I had a new one the previous owner gave me and figured why not? Maybe I'll swap in my old one(yes I save old useless junk) and give it a go!
Unfortunately it is raining really bad here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it. Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
No updates yet. Great find though!
I had changed out my IAT sensor (2000 miles ago) because I had a new one the previous owner gave me and figured why not? Maybe I'll swap in my old one(yes I save old useless junk) and give it a go!
Unfortunately it is raining really bad here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it. Thanks for the idea!
Advice to you ,You need to reset adaptions ..
Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by oneslow55
Advice to you ,You need to reset adaptions ..
I tried that with the "sneaky reset" and via STAR with no luck.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:34 PM

2005 E55 AMG
So I swapped the old IAT sensor into the car after cleaning it with the MAF sensor cleaner.
Still the same behavior and the same codes...

I'm hoping DTK can do something with the tune, he said he might have something tomorrow.
From what I'm reading it sounds like our MAP sensors are touchy and anything over like 15 lbs of boost can create an overboost situation and put the car into limp mode.
Since the issue only started happening since it got cold out and I've never driven the car in the cold(under 40 F) since I got it tune... Maybe it is just running higher boost and causing map sensor issues?
Who knows... I'll let you know once I get the tune from DTK in.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:08 PM

2005 E55 AMG
OH MY GOSH. I FIGURED IT OUT.

So I was doing more Googling for the stupid issue I was having and happened upon this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-gear-s.html

I was reading through his thread and found out his issue was related to his FTP 3" intake collapsing in on itself.
I thought to myself... I'm pretty sure the FTP and VRP intakes are basically the same. So I ran out to my car, removed the silicone tubes that connected to the end of the intake/radiator air inlet.
Then I proceeded to take the car for a drive and beat on it. OH MY GOSH it is an ANIMAL now.

So essentially what was happening was at WOT throttle the car was pulling in so much air that it was collapsing/closing off the silicone tubes on the end essentially starving the car of air.

For those of you who helped me try a million different things before this. THANK YOU. Especially GinDistiller, you're the best.
GinDistiller (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I remember reading that post about them collapsing. I just didn’t put it together with your situation.
Glad you got it figured out
Old 01-21-2021, 10:27 PM

YES! That is awesome, so happy for you! Makes sense too - 'mechanical fault' being that the rpm the supercharger was at should have produced a lot more boost, it didn't, so the ECU figured it was seizing up or something.
OldPizza (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:44 AM

2005 E55 AMG
YES! That is awesome, so happy for you! Makes sense too - 'mechanical fault' being that the rpm the supercharger was at should have produced a lot more boost, it didn't, so the ECU figured it was seizing up or something.
Wow I didn't even think of it that way. The mechanical fault makes so much sense now.
I'm going to send an email to VRP and see if they have a solution for the issue... Otherwise I may need to make a cautionary post to those with the VRP intake.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Wow ...so you know what that means. The intake filters/tubes are very restrictive and not passing enough air soooo the tubing sucking in is the result.
If you where on the dyno and the tubes where replaced so there was no issue, I bet with and with out the intake set up would show a big horse power difference....
towards more power with no intake.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
OH MY GOSH. I FIGURED IT OUT.

So I was doing more Googling for the stupid issue I was having and happened upon this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-gear-s.html

I was reading through his thread and found out his issue was related to his FTP 3" intake collapsing in on itself.
I thought to myself... I'm pretty sure the FTP and VRP intakes are basically the same. So I ran out to my car, removed the silicone tubes that connected to the end of the intake/radiator air inlet.
Then I proceeded to take the car for a drive and beat on it. OH MY GOSH it is an ANIMAL now.

So essentially what was happening was at WOT throttle the car was pulling in so much air that it was collapsing/closing off the silicone tubes on the end essentially starving the car of air.

For those of you who helped me try a million different things before this. THANK YOU. Especially GinDistiller, you're the best.
Thank you for figuring this out! My mechanic told me I needed a new SC! Quick question, what did you about the intake? Are you driving without the inlet? Did VRP respond to you? Or did you go with a new intake, and if so what is it?