W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Looking at E63 AMG (first mercedes, carseat fit issue?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at E63 AMG (first mercedes, carseat fit issue?)

I am looking at purchasing a 2010 E63 AMG (go big or go home, right?).

As this will be my first Mercedes, I want make sure I'm asking the right questions and not being taken for a ride at the dealership. Especially since I will have to drive from NM to NC to get it. 42K miles, PREMIUM 2 PKG -inc: COMAND system w/40GB hard drive navigation, enhanced voice control, Gracenote media database, heated & ventilated front seats, rearview camera, Zagat survey restaurant guide, 6-GB MP3 Music Register hard drive, adaptive highbeam assist, bi-xenon headlamps w/active curve illumination, pwr trunk closer, Keyless Go DRIVER ASSISTANCE PKG -inc: blind spot assist, Distronic Plus w/PRE-SAFE brake, lane keeping assist (N/A w/P30 AMG Performance Pkg)
REAR SIDE-IMPACT AIRBAGS,PARKTRONIC W/PARKING GUIDANCE, NIGHT VIEW ASSIST PLUS W/PEDESTRIAN DETECTION, Pwr tilt/slide glass sunroof, AMG trunklid spoiler, Variable-focus halogen headlamps w/projector low beams, Selectable light-sensing headlamps, Front halogen foglamps, Headlamp washing system, Single red rear foglamp, Pwr heated signal mirrors -inc: mirror memory, auto-dimming driver mirror, Rain-sensing windshield wipers w/heated windshield washer reservoir. Is $54,999 a fair price?

What do I need to make sure to ask the dealer? Any special things to look at when inspecting the vehicle? What should I avoid? The hubs is an ASE mechanic (Air Force now), but specializes mostly in Domestics (GM, etc). Will he be able to complete some maintenance/repairs to lessen those costs? I plan on purchasing an extended warranty anyway, just in case.

Also, I have 2 children (ages 4 and 2) that sit in high-back booster car seats, specifically, Graco Nautilus and a Safety 1st 65LX. The rear legroom is 2 inches shorter than my current Escalade ESV, so I am wondering how the kids will fit. I am short (5'3"), so I don't need much legroom.

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance, I don't want to get myself into a money pit. Any opinions/advice are appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Sorry, not looking to offend but considering the questions you are asking, this may not be the right car for you.

Used amg with relatively high miles. You want to keep costs down. You're looking to haul around two kids.

Amgs are built with better materials than std mercs, but fact remains they get beat on because thats what they were made for. This one has 42k miles which is not a spring chicken. Warranty will not cover wear parts like brakes which is probably just about time for replacing in this car. You're probably looking at 3 grand right there. Not looking for a money pit? look elsewhere. AMGs are not light on the pocketbook when things go wrong.

Hauling kids? You can get away with it but, it's not a great fit. This is not a good family hauler.

Maybe not the best of questions but why do you need 520 hp car with two kids? You'll likely never drive it beyond what you would get out of a regular e class?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
the seats will work fine, i have 2 recaro prosports for my 2 kids in the back and they do kick the seat back, but oh well

they enjoy the ride but eridium is right, u cant drive it like u want to with them in there

kids will mostly ride in the denali, as i actually have a third, so thats the only thing i can fit 3 across in
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM

E-Ridium 63: You bring up several good points, I am appreciative of your input and want to know both sides. The more I learn, the better. I am looking for a "dual purpose" vehicle. One I can haul the kids around and get groceries in, but I also want to have fun (after removing the car seats of course). I gave up my heavily modified 2005 GTO for something that would be more family-friendly, and I miss it.

I love the styling of the E63, the regular E class just seems blah.

As far as maintenance, the cost is not an issue, I was just wondering if some things we can do ourselves, as I love to learn and do things myself.

vdubpower: Which Recaro seats do you have? I have been researching the Sunshine Kids Radian as well. Does Mercedes make a special booster carseat for the front?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM

2012 E63 Wagon
I recently picked up a 12 AMG wagon (assuming the rear seats are the same) I can fit both car seats in without any issues. I'm 6'0" with the lock in base for the RF seat i had to move the seat forward just a hair.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
45K miles is quite a bit, and the price certainly reflects that. I guess if you buy the extended warranty, then you probably don't have to worry about it for the duration of the warranty. But of course the warranty is not going to cover the brake job, which will be close to $3K as someone mentioned above.

By the way, is it a CPO? If it is, you might want to double check the tread depth of all four tires since you can get new tires if they are below a certain depth per CPO inspection sheet. Also, you will want to make sure there is no collision damage. Yes, CPO can also have collision damage.

By the way, for your own fyi, you might want to use the vin# of the car to check if the engine is in the group with the old headbolts. There are many forum member with access to StarTek system that can look up the engine number for you.

Wow, New Mexico to North Carolina! That's around 1700-2000 miles one way! But at least it will be lots of fun driving it back in the new car. It's definitely good to open up your options to places all over the country. Compared to that, I ONLY drove 700 miles one way to pick up my car at this time last year. I was trading in so it's cheaper than shipping them. Are you trading in something? If you end up doing that, just be careful driving. You might want to consider packing heat, which shouldn't be a problem with a NM carrying permit as long as you avoid SC, GA, AL, and, of course, IL.

Last edited by otakki; 12-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM

W212 E63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
the seats will work fine, i have 2 recaro prosports for my 2 kids in the back and they do kick the seat back, but oh well

they enjoy the ride but eridium is right, u cant drive it like u want to with them in there

kids will mostly ride in the denali, as i actually have a third, so thats the only thing i can fit 3 across in
I had two back there at one point when there really was no reason to have two cars and it was less than ideal. Kids always kicking the back seat and since they are young, any sort of mildly aggressive driving rocks them fwd/bckwrd and young kids tend not to like that. It was a great day when we bought the SUV.

If money is not an issue, keep them in the SUV, and buy go for an SL.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 PM

W212 E63
Originally Posted by otakki
45K miles is quite a bit, and the price certainly reflects that. I guess if you buy the extended warranty, then you probably don't have to worry about it for the duration of the warranty. But of course the warranty is not going to cover the brake job, which will be close to $3K as someone mentioned above.

By the way, is it a CPO? If it is, you might want to double check the tread depth of all four tires since you can get new tires if they are below a certain depth per CPO inspection sheet. Also, you will want to make sure there is no collision damage. Yes, CPO can also have collision damage.

By the way, for your own fyi, you might want to use the vin# of the car to check if the engine is in the group with the old headbolts. There are many forum member with access to StarTek system that can look up the engine number for you.

Wow, New Mexico to North Carolina! That's around 1700-2000 miles one way! But at least it will be lots of fun driving it back in the new car. It's definitely good to open up your options to places all over the country. Compared to that, I ONLY drove 700 miles one way to pick up my car at this time last year. I was trading in so it's cheaper than shipping them. Are you trading in something? If you end up doing that, just be careful driving. You might want to consider packing heat, which shouldn't be a problem with a NM carrying permit as long as you avoid SC, GA, AL, and, of course, IL.
What's the issue associated with engines with old headbolts? Is there a service bulletin?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dude you dont put kids seats in front......

i have a recaro signo which is the convertable, fwd or back facing, for when they over 20ish lbs and cant fit in a handled infant carrier

i also have 2 recaro prosports which are slightly bigger which work fine for the 2 and 5 yr old

they are supposd to last till 80lbs
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
kip

E55
This is an interesting thread as I have loved fast cars since I was born and after having kids realizing they will allways be number 1. I sold my E55AMG due to traction problems and constantly getting stuck in snow and I bought the Porsche 997tt withought having kids, but seriously thinking I could keep it after getting kids. The other car is a diesel suv with 5 star crash safety. After realising that you also need the trolly and stuff that comes with the baby in addition to the baby, it mainly stayed home parked in the garage. So I bought the Panny, the 500bhp for me + awd and enough space. So we have to do compromises, but why shouldnt you drive a 500bhp car? It usually has more safety features than the standard model and the kids are not allways in the back. Good luck with the purchase. Nowadays, after being disappointed so many times, I only buy cars with warranty. If your seats are rearward facing, fitting them behind the driver is an issue, they usually dont fit, but it depends on the seat, forward facing should be ok. Now looking at cars that are less noticable, 5 seats so interested in the new awd E63 myself.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 PM

W212 E63
To each their own. You can make do, but why make do when you can have one of each? A family hauler (suv) and a fun machine.

If you're using an e63 beyond a e350 with kids in the back, they should be taken away from you...just my opinion.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they say to keep them rear facing as long as possible, ive seen pics on carseat forum with 6-7 yr old kids facing backwards, personally i think a little nutty

logic they say is front facing, greater chance of internal decapitation, yeah maybe

rear facing, just a few broken femurs.....ehh that fixable, cast or some titanium rods
Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 AM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
To each their own. You can make do, but why make do when you can have one of each? A family hauler (suv) and a fun machine.

If you're using an e63 beyond a e350 with kids in the back, they should be taken away from you...just my opinion.
I am pretty sure that most peoples lives are similar to mine. We use the suv 80% of the time, cottage, shopping, but now and then I have to take them or pick the wholefamily up, so for this I should buy a e350? Wierd... You could buy a third car, but just to put this into perspective a new basic ML350 costs more here than a E63 amg in the US.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
What's the issue associated with engines with old headbolts? Is there a service bulletin?
There was supposedly a bulletin that no one can locate anymore. Basically, MB knew about the problem and thus changed the headbolts after a certain engine serial number. There is also an ongoing lawsuit in NJ with MB about premature wear of certain M156 engine componenets as we speak. Got to the C63 part of the forums and click on one of the stickies at the top and everything I had mentioned will be there.

Speaking of car seats, rear facing will always be the safest direction per numerous Scandinavian studies. Those studies do recommend children be rear facing in the rear until age 4-6.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM

W212 E63
Originally Posted by kip
I am pretty sure that most peoples lives are similar to mine. We use the suv 80% of the time, cottage, shopping, but now and then I have to take them or pick the wholefamily up, so for this I should buy a e350? Wierd... You could buy a third car, but just to put this into perspective a new basic ML350 costs more here than a E63 amg in the US.

Pretty presumptuous assuming most people's lives are similar to yours...I'm pretty certain mine is nothing like yours.

if you took the time to read my posts, i was not suggesting to the OP to buy a 350, but merely not to expect to get a lot of driving time that is beyond what you would get out of a 350 hauling 2 kids in the back if thats where they will be mot of the time.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
kip

E55
Pretty presumptuous assuming most people's lives are similar to yours...I'm pretty certain mine is nothing like yours.

if you took the time to read my posts, i was not suggesting to the OP to buy a 350, but merely not to expect to get a lot of driving time that is beyond what you would get out of a 350 hauling 2 kids in the back if thats where they will be mot of the time.
Hmmm, it is equally presumptuous of you to say that it is nothing like yours .

I was referring to the fact that not many people can really live with a SUV and a sportscar in a two income household with children, both parents have to do their sahre, how that offended you I dont know...and care.

If you dont get a lot of driving time, why buy a familywise useless fun machine to stand in the garage?

ANd this comment of yours:

"If you're using an e63 beyond a e350 with kids in the back, they should be taken away from you...just my opinion."

Well thats just silly and cant possibly understand why, does the car press your pedal, cause it sure doesnt press mine?

Last edited by kip; 12-09-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM

W212 E63
Huh??? Didn't you summarize your world? 80% in an SUV, cottage life? shopping malls etc? ...

OP has a Denali, looking to get into a sporty car (read thoroughly please...)

And what's so difficult to understand that if you're driving/pushing a e350 (or any car) at its limits with kids in the back, that is a bit reckless? Do you do that, seriously?

Honestly, re-read the above posts (s l o w l y).

And, offend me? ha, please. Bring me something worth being offended by....
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM
kip

E55
Huh??? Didn't you summarize your world? 80% in an SUV, cottage life? shopping malls etc? ...

OP has a Denali, looking to get into a sporty car (read thoroughly please...)

And what's so difficult to understand that if you're driving/pushing a e350 (or any car) at its limits with kids in the back, that is a bit reckless? Do you do that, seriously?

Honestly, re-read the above posts (s l o w l y).

And, offend me? ha, please. Bring me something worth being offended by....
Honestly, I dont know what you are talking about, are you?

Read this S L O W L Y,
I dont give a **** what you think.

No one is talking about driving fast with kids, thats just you saying so.
Its funny how you say read earlier posts, when you fail to do this constantly.

Do you always tell people do things, which you actually fail to do yourself?

Post whatever you want, I wont comment or read them further, as you have nothing interesting to say.

Sorry to all others for a few lines of off topic garbage. I wont continue it.

Last edited by kip; 12-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
Kip and E-Ridium

Do you guys drink? If not you should start. I thought this thread was about purchasing a 2010 E63. Can we please keep it that way.

ThAnKsSs

Last edited by Rock; 12-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.