Highway speed hesitation in trans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3RS, E63 Wagon, Denali 3500
Highway speed hesitation in trans?

2012 e63 wagon
At highway speed, say 60+ mph, on constant/maintenance throttle... Just cruising down the road

No difference in comfort/sport/sport +

With foot in same position on accelerator, it's as if the power to drive wheels hesitates and then comes back... More noticeable in the rain for some weird reason

It's feels almost as if the car is pausing to inhale and then going back to work

No codes = means dealer can do nothing

Dealer says that since I said "more pronounced in rain" then it must be traction control - to which I assured him after 100+ track days in cars with and without traction control, I know it isn't traction control AND the traction control light does not flicker at all etc

I have had the car since 18k miles and it now at 32k miles - I basically just ignore this hesitation but it's annoying

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I searched and found a lot of low speed hesitation threads but nothing about highway+ speeds...

At sustained constant speeds north of 50 mph up to 120 the issue exists

Any insight
Car is bone stock
2012, Perf package, LSD... Stock software
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'11 911 Turbo S, '15 HELLCAT, '07 Escalade, '15 Sienna
Idk y, but I think if you tune it, that will help
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM

I am thinking that too and that was the advice of a local independent mb tech as well
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Originally Posted by dr. ss
Idk y, but I think if you tune it, that will help

I don't understand that logic. At all.

If the OP is having an issue with his/her car, and it's not a "known" one or one that has been otherwise widely reported, why would installing an aftermarket tune on the car be the answer?

All that does is introduce more noise into the diagnostic process.

The answer is to find a good factory shop and FIX the problem. Then, pursue additional performance if that is what is desired. Putting a tune on a car that is already experiencing a problem is not a sound course of action. IMO>
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM

I am thinking an aftermarket warranty would not be a bad idea as well :-)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
I wonder if it has anything to do with the "drive by wire" crap. I hate that disconnection with my throttle since this setup was introduced. This has been a big problem with hesitation issues(all MB vehicles), While driving, you can mash the pedal to the floor(real quick) and let off just as quick, and the car doesn't even do anything. Give me my throttle cable back.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM

E63, SLS Black Series
Im not sure if you have already stumbled upon this or not but I was reading this and thought of this tread. I found this one the "sneaky ECU" resent on the e55 forum and there is a lot of talk on how to resent the transmission to allow for better shifts. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...bQ54J8GfmSuO0A here is the link for the doc.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-works-15.html Here is the link to the thread.

Let me know if this helps.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'11 911 Turbo S, '15 HELLCAT, '07 Escalade, '15 Sienna
Originally Posted by ace10
I don't understand that logic. At all. If the OP is having an issue with his/her car, and it's not a "known" one or one that has been otherwise widely reported, why would installing an aftermarket tune on the car be the answer? All that does is introduce more noise into the diagnostic process. The answer is to find a good factory shop and FIX the problem. Then, pursue additional performance if that is what is desired. Putting a tune on a car that is already experiencing a problem is not a sound course of action. IMO>
I guess ur rt. My bad.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by amg7766
Im not sure if you have already stumbled upon this or not but I was reading this and thought of this tread. I found this one the "sneaky ECU" resent on the e55 forum and there is a lot of talk on how to resent the transmission to allow for better shifts. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...bQ54J8GfmSuO0A here is the link for the doc.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-works-15.html Here is the link to the thread.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks for posting this - I will give this a try