W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150 HP peak, 200 hp mid range gains over stock with..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
150 HP peak, 200 hp mid range gains over stock with..

These M157 engines are flat out amazing! Gained all this power over stock with the UPD air induction kit, performance crank pulley and a new dyno built tune. Peak power only tells some of the story, as you need to look at the mid range HP and TQ gains across the power band. In the range of 200 hp over stock and 250 tq over stock. Even in near 80 deg heat, can not hold traction at 50 miles per hour. The air induction kit , lightweight crank pulley helped the engine rev quicker and allow the turbos to spin up quicker. the crank pulley is 50% lighter than stock and reduced drag on accessories. IAT`s never went past 113 degrees on back to back pulls in 4th gear.

This is the first time we ever had to double strap the rear of an AMG down and this was in 79 to 80 deg south Texas heat. My Cl55 with every mod known to man made 620 rwhp on multiple dynos and 700 ish torque and never had to double strap it. First pull with this E63 M157 and right at 3000 rpm, the tires just light up with smoke on the dyno. These are big 3 straps with a giant 6ft 7" dude straping them down but still had to go back and double strap. I bet those double straps were robbing some power as well, not to mention the heat.

150 HP peak, 200 hp mid range gains over stock with..-tunedyno_zpsxep81vs2.jpg

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'17 G63 AMG
All the cool days we've had lately & you decide to dyno on the warmest in over a week? lol. I'm still interested in stopping by the shop so give me a shout next time you're down from central TX.

- Jon
Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Great numbers man....damn...that M157 is a powerhouse...

Exotic, you're a smart tuner man so I'll ask you...aftermarket crank pullies; does the difference in weight and ultimate imbalance on the rotating assembly not worry you? I guess you've had experience with the M113 crank pullies and now this one....I've had a bad experience with a crank pulley on my Celica, but on these V8 engines I've not seen any reported failures. Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Great numbers man....damn...that M157 is a powerhouse...

Exotic, you're a smart tuner man so I'll ask you...aftermarket crank pullies; does the difference in weight and ultimate imbalance on the rotating assembly not worry you? I guess you've had experience with the M113 crank pullies and now this one....I've had a bad experience with a crank pulley on my Celica, but on these V8 engines I've not seen any reported failures. Interested to hear your thoughts.
Lots of failures with the aftermarket M113k crank pulleys, check out the E55 forums. Some brands are obviously better than others. But also a lot of the failure were linked to larger pulleys for more boost

Last edited by kponti; 02-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kponti
Lots of failures with the aftermarket M113k crank pulleys, check out the E55 forums. Some brands are obviously better than others. But also a lot of the failure were linked to larger pulleys for more boost
My apologies, I didn't mean with the pullies falling off, my concern is with altering the engine balance. Sure some pullies come off but usually that's due to installation error or imbalance on the pulley. Assuming the pulley is checked for imbalance before install and it doesn't wobble off, my question is regarding the effect (if at all) on the bottom end of the motor.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:12 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
My apologies, I didn't mean with the pullies falling off, my concern is with altering the engine balance. Sure some pullies come off but usually that's due to installation error or imbalance on the pulley. Assuming the pulley is checked for imbalance before install and it doesn't wobble off, my question is regarding the effect (if at all) on the bottom end of the motor.
No short answer to your questions but will try and keep it short and simple.

I understood your question and let me categorize that a 4 cylinder , 6 cylinder, supercharged v8 and (v8 naturally aspirated - turboed) are all different categories of harmonic balances and use different designs. I see a lot of Toyota or other engine crank pulleys on ebay and other places that are made poorly. Most have mass in the wrong places, lack front seal rings needed for the oil seal to ride on and machined poorly to save money. All this leads to micro vibrations that causes oil leaks, bearing damage, wear the pulley hub out and then vibrations set in that hurt the Subaru, Toyota and other like 4 bangers. It a shame to, since the turbo 4 cylinder crank pulleys are an easy design to machine and give big improvements when machined right.

Most 4 cylinders can use a "crank pulley" (one part design) if made right but all v8 (longer cranks) should use a true balancer design (two part hub with a rubber duramoter between hubs), just like the OEM design. We also use a propritory durameter rubber that improves over OEM quality and longevity.

First let me say, the all V8 underdrive balancers we make are harmonic balancers just like the factory but are made out of precision machined chrome molly steel hubs, billet aluminum outer hub and balanced much better than the factory stamped steel or cast iron balancer. I run all the parts on my own personal high value AMG`s and American vehicles. Our balancers are balanced on a machne that balances jet engine turbines. We can balance within 1gram but the factory is far more out of balance with their cast /stamped steel parts.

This design for our m157 is the same underdriven design used on every V8 underdrive balancer I have used on all my vehicles since 1999. It is an improvement over the AMG factory cast balancer. The underdrive pulley is usually the first mod I put on all my vehicles, since it is easy hp gains, no tune required, improved MPG and less wear on all the engines accessories. Myself and customers have run the same underdrive design as on our M157 for millions of miles accumulated on all kinds of v8 engines. My 2015 Silverado Z71 Truck, also my first mod was the underdriven crank balancer.

Let me add, that AMG has made a much larger crank bolt and with a much higher torque spec for our M157 V8 past v8 engines and if you know any MB techs that have worked for Mercedes for the last 10-14 years, they can tell you the large amount of OEM balancers and idlers that fail on them. One reason we are seeing MB increasing bolt sizes now and changing the way they put the two hubs together.

OEM m157 on left and UPD underdriven balancer on left. er between the two hubs on the UPD balancer. Like mentioned, it is an easy install and improvement over OEM.

150 HP peak, 200 hp mid range gains over stock with..-20150901_191254_zpskkvqcnx2.jpg

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 02-19-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Thanks Exotic, I appreciate the time you took out for that answer

I suppose the next question is....when are you going to offer one for the M156 platform? The Evosport and Eurocharged pullies made reasonable power gains when bolted on and although Agency Power pullies have been on my shopping list for a while now, the imbalance issue has been scaring me for a while and putting me off. I'd be happier buying a lightweight underdrive crank pulley from somebody who takes the time to balance it with so much attention to detail.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Thanks Exotic, I appreciate the time you took out for that answer

I suppose the next question is....when are you going to offer one for the M156 platform? The Evosport and Eurocharged pullies made reasonable power gains when bolted on and although Agency Power pullies have been on my shopping list for a while now, the imbalance issue has been scaring me for a while and putting me off. I'd be happier buying a lightweight underdrive crank pulley from somebody who takes the time to balance it with so much attention to detail.
Thanks and have to apologize but we skipped over the M156 but have been getting a few more dealers asking for them recently.

Here is a dyno vid taken of my E63 tuned with an I phone 6 but sound is still a a little distorted. You can hear fast the turbos come down low and how fast the car runs through 4th gear.

http://vid991.photobucket.com/albums...ps96pbdkqx.mp4

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Awesome machine....part of me wants an M157...but the other part loves the character of the M156 and couldn't part with it.

Pulley....fair play man, not to worry. I'll have to see if I can get an Agency Power pulley then.

Keep up the good work and interesting posts.