Sponsored by:

Why is m5 faster that e63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 03:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 Mercedes Benz E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Proxy, please feel free to have an opinion and defend it vigorously on these pages but also maintain civility. I'm sure all members would appreciate if you'd eliminate the insults and name calling.
I hope you post these kinds of posts to other members here or I just may feel like you're discriminating against me.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by notatroll
Thanks angry guy.
Most people do care about roll acceleration and most people do measure cars performance on a roll. Where the cars are not limited by traction and its pure game of engine power, transmission/diff gearing and aerodynamics. IMO
You're a walking oxy moron
Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike450
Can we get a count on the number of members proxyguy thinks are tools?

... Lol
You can now add yourself to this list
Old 07-17-2016, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
This is the only info on the web I could find in five minutes that states the mct is a dct. Benz/Amg own website doesn't discuss double clutching ... This is mb of Scottsdale

Essentially every other credible source (that is not proxy's tech) says its a 7g tronic with a multi clutch wet clutch in place of the torque converter

And benz' talking about the dct

The tech never said it was a DCT, I clearly stated that already, he said it does dual clutch shifting. I find it interesting though that MB of Scottsdale would post that. All of the sudden that site is not credible, the tech I talked to isn't credible, I'm not credible, but you are because... well... you said so.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Ironic, since he resorts to name calling because he doesn't have the tools to discuss things like an intelligent adult.
You guys are funny, you go back and forth, you hen peck each other, you act rude, condescending, and arrogant (but don't call each other names), but that's OK, LOL.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by proxygeek
You guys are funny, you go back and forth, you hen peck each other, you act rude, condescending, and arrogant (but don't call each other names), but that's OK, LOL.
I don't know why, but I am getting a very M3 type of driver vibe from you Me Drive the bestest fastest meanest track car EVA!

It is clear you are trying to get people into a pissing contest

For your opinion to matter we need to see proof, else you are a troll

And to the topic poster. when people say drive what makes you happy, this has a very deep meaning and take it from experience.

A car that is ''faster'' is not always the car that you want to own and drive on a daily basis. you need to figure out your main needs and wants from the car.

Example comfort, daily drivability , seating, speed, maintenance and so forth.

Look at the GTR, many people tried it and moved on...why when it's one of the fastest ?
The following users liked this post:
TMC M5 (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
The tech never said it was a DCT, I clearly stated that already, he said it does dual clutch shifting. I find it interesting though that MB of Scottsdale would post that. All of the sudden that site is not credible, the tech I talked to isn't credible, I'm not credible, but you are because... well... you said so.
I actually think what you posted was interesting but then you called me a tool

Was just curious if you want to have a more civil discussion - is there any info other that backs up the double clutching, of course I would be interested to know that. I don't know as much as you guys about this stuff and I think when you're not antagonistic you're posting smart interesting stuff

So like I said any links to that info I would be interested to read -- thanks for considering

And you are right I didn't read your post correctly:

"An MB mechanic told me that MCT IS DUAL CLUTCH SHIFTING while admitting it's not a DCT. He said the bottom line is that one gear is released while the other is grabbed simultaneously. If MB can build a PDK rival, look the F out. They will set world records if they can get it into an E63 S in the future. They will break every stigma about what a supercar should look like."

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-17-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by gaspam
lol you use "ehow" to get your mechanical info? no wonder you had to hire someone to install your downpipes and seemed to not know much about "turbo fins" as you admitted in another thread

Now can final drive ratio be calculated without tire size? Of course it can... But also, yes, tire diameter has an effect on final drive ratio.. i wont try and explain it to you because its obvious you wont get it but if you want to read up on it, here's a more reputable source of mechanical know-how vs ehow.com lol btw your link was for motorcycles since it was referencing primary gear ratio as one of the inputs

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148...o-calculating/

here's a litte snippet (keep in mind final gear ratio and final drive ratio are not the same thing, but I'm sure you already knew that)

"Tire diameter will also have an effect on a vehicle's final drive ratio. As tire diameter changes, so will engine rpm at a given speed. We can demonstrate this with the simplified formula: rpm = (mph x final gear ratio x 336*) / tire diameter. For example, given 65 mph, a tire diameter of 30 inches, and a final gear ratio of 4.10, the engine speed will be approximately 2,984 rpm--(65 mph x 4.10 final gear ratio x 336) / 30-inch diameter tire. If we reduce the tire diameter to 25 inches, the engine speed increases to 3,581 rpm. By installing shorter tires, the vehicle will accelerate as though it has a 4.73 (higher numerically) gear without the expense of gear swapping."

you can also approx final drive ratio using formula of Final drive ratio= (engine RPM @ 70mph/ top gear ratio)/ tire revs/mile .... (1750/.73)/784 = 3.0577 ... lets just call it 3.06
A lot of superfluous information posted to cover the initial error on your oart. Keep going though. Nothing you have posted above is wrong. I used different sized tires to make up for overly aggressive rear diff ratios in the past but what do I know? LMAO Keep adding "facts" to bolster your erroneous initial statement

Yes I hired someone else to install my turboback downpipes cos in the 9 plus hours it takes to do, I could be earning 5-10 times as much as I paid for that time frame on a slow day. So sure I paid someone to do something I did not feel like doing myself yep my prerogative

Last edited by kponti; 07-17-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Yoooooooooouuuuuu knnnnooooooowwwww you are obviously just upset you paid way too much for an incredibly overpriced car (standard F10 M5) and can't come to grips with the fact that the E63 S is faster and costs less, LOL. Some of you people crack me up. Every damn car mag on the planet says the E63 S is faster, YouTube videos at the drag strip say the E63 S is faster, I have raced and beat the F10 M5 and KNOW the E63 S is faster, but in your fantasy world they're not. All I can say to that is I support your your American right to your opinion even if I disagree with it.

People overpay for things everyday and then rationalize to themselves why they did it. The F10 M5 is a nice car as I have said, but they are way too much for what you get. Just like the ridiculous $135K M4 GTS.
Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. I bought the M5 2+ years ago and got rid of it after almost 2 years. I currently own an E63 S. I love the E63 S... but above 60mph, the M5 is faster..sorry to hurt your ego.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMC M5:
nynd (07-19-2016), proxygeek (07-18-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
You call people "tools", tell them to hump tailpipes and then you get butt hurt over people being condescending to you?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
The difference between DCT and MCT:

The Dual Clutch Transmission

Application: BMW, VW, Audi, Porsche, Acura, others

Marketing names: Porsche Dopple Kupplung (PDK), Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG), Power Shift

The guts: An easy way to picture the workings of the extremely complex DCT is to think of two individual transmissions contained within a single housing, acting as a single unit. We’ll call these two individual transmissions ‘sub-transmissions’.

One of the sub-transmissions handles the odd-numbered gears, for instance, 1, 3 and 5. The other sub-transmission contains even gears, for instance 2, 4 and 6. The two sub-transmissions act on a common shaft, which sends power to the wheels.

But on closer inspection, it’s not really a common shaft: its two shafts, one for each sub-transmission, occupying the same space and virtually operating as a single unit.

How? One shaft, connected to one of the sub-transmissions, is hollow, and slightly larger, and the other shaft, connected to the other sub-transmission, fits inside of it. This two-in-one shaft design allows the two sub-transmissions drive the wheels via the same shaft assembly.

At the end of the two-in-one shaft are two clutches. One is attached to the outer, hollow shaft, the other to the slightly smaller inner shaft. Remember, each of these shafts is attached to a different sub-transmission.

The clutches are computer controlled, not driver controlled via a pedal, and they control which shaft, and therefore, which sub-transmission, is currently engaged and driving the wheels.

If you’re accelerating slightly in, say third gear, the sub-transmission that houses the odd-numbered gears is engaged (in third gear), and the sub-transmission that houses the even gears is disengaged from the wheels, but has fourth-gear pre-selected and waiting.

Shifting up simply disengages the clutch from the odd-numbered sub-transmission, and simultaneously engages the clutch on the even-number sub-transmission, where fourth gear is ready to go.

This happens in milliseconds. Now, cruising along in fourth gear, the odd-number sub-transmission pre-selects fifth gear in the meantime, in the background, so it’s ready when needed.

With two sub-transmissions, a two-piece shaft and advanced internal clutch controls, an upshift actually just changes the currently-engaged sub-transmission at some point after the gear change has already occurred. The gist? Actual shifting in a DCT happens in the background when the driver doesn’t notice, and the perceived gear changes are actually just lightning-fast switches between the sub-transmission that’s currently driving the wheels.

From the driver’s seat: Drivers get smooth, lightning-fast shifts, and no interruption in power flow when gearing up at full throttle. There’s no clutch to press, and since the DCT is compact, lightweight and has no torque converter, it typically offers less of a loss of driveline power, higher performance, and improved fuel economy, too.

The AMG SpeedShift

Application: Mercedes AMG

Marketing name: AMG Speedshift MCT 7

Dubbed the SpeedShift, this transmission is exclusive to the AMG performance division of Mercedes-Benz. Capitalizing on the best of two worlds, it amounts to a conventional automatic transmission, but without a torque converter.

Instead, to handle application of engine power to the transmission, a compact wet take-off clutch system is used instead. This enables various enhanced performance attributes including faster gear changes, more instant and direct throttle response, and functions like Race Start, a form of launch control used for maximum off-the-line acceleration in a motorsports setting.

In more detail, the Speedshift MCT 7 uses a multi-plate wet clutch, meaning it contains several clutches stacked on top of one another, operating as a single unit, and floating in an oil bath for cooling and durability purposes. Importantly, the clutch used in the Speedshift MCT 7 is operated by a computer and actuators, not the driver, so there’s no clutch pedal to press.

By doing away with the relatively inefficient torque converter found in a regular automatic transmission, which wastes energy as a result of having to drive fluid through its various components, the SpeedShift transmission is basically a hybrid setup with components of both a manual and automatic.

Notably, this setup does away with the slippage characteristic of a torque-converter equipped automatic, providing the driver with faster, more precise off-the-line responses to throttle inputs.

From the driver’s seat: Drivers benefit from convenient, fully-automatic operation when required, though various performance modes can be engaged when appropriate.

The low rotating mass of this transmission, thanks to its lack of a heavy, fluid-filled torque converter, means accelerator movements are translated instantly to forward momentum.

Further, gears change in eye-blink speeds, and the Race Start function pre-revs the engine and quickly engages the clutch to blast the vehicle off of the line in quick order.

Source: Justin Pritchard
The following 3 users liked this post by Rock:
hyperion667 (07-17-2016), TMC M5 (07-17-2016), Zod (07-18-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by kponti
A lot of superfluous information posted to cover the initial error on your oart. Keep going though. Nothing you have posted above is wrong. I used different sized tires to make up for overly aggressive rear diff ratios in the past but what do I know? LMAO Keep adding "facts" to bolster your erroneous initial statement

Yes I hired someone else to install my turboback downpipes cos in the 9 plus hours it takes to do, I could be earning 5-10 times as much as I paid for that time frame on a slow day. So sure I paid someone to do something I did not feel like doing myself yep my prerogative
lol i admitted to sayid that i thought he was referring to final drive ratio, not rear diff ratio... nothing erroneous about that

lol 5-10 times as much? so you make ~$8,100 a day (shop rate $90/hr, 9hr job x 10) or $40,500 a week (assuming you are only slinging 5 days a week)? i highly doubt it since you mentioned turbo kits being to pricey... i dont think people that make $2.1 Million a year (on a slow year) find 10-20K too pricey

bro with that $40.5K per week you are making you should send your car off to GAD and have them build you a 1100whp car like vasily's

Last edited by gaspam; 07-17-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG or M
Yoooooooooouuuuuu knnnnooooooowwwww you are obviously just upset you paid way too much for an incredibly overpriced car (standard F10 M5) and can't come to grips with the fact that the E63 S is faster and costs less, LOL. Some of you people crack me up. Every damn car mag on the planet says the E63 S is faster, YouTube videos at the drag strip say the E63 S is faster, I have raced and beat the F10 M5 and KNOW the E63 S is faster, but in your fantasy world they're not. All I can say to that is I support your your American right to your opinion even if I disagree with it.

People overpay for things everyday and then rationalize to themselves why they did it. The F10 M5 is a nice car as I have said, but they are way too much for what you get. Just like the ridiculous $135K M4 GTS.
Youtube videos of roll racing says otherwise. M5 accelerates faster.
Dont be upset, there are many things that the e63s does better than m5.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by gaspam
lol i admitted to sayid that i thought he was referring to final drive ratio, not rear diff ratio... nothing erroneous about that

lol 5-10 times as much? so you make ~$8,100 a day (shop rate $90/hr, 9hr job x 10) or $40,500 a week (assuming you are only slinging 5 days a week)? i highly doubt it since you mentioned turbo kits being to pricey... i dont think people that make $2.1 Million a year (on a slow year) find 10-20K too pricey

bro with that $40.5K per week you are making you should send your car off to GAD and have them build you a 1100whp car like vasily's
I misspoke (my math was off), that's on a good fast paced day not a slow one (even though I did say can, but lack of reading comprehension to bolster some idiotic point of yours is been your forte). But even on a slow day, well worth having someone else do it. Its a 4 door sedan weighing over 4300lbs, no GAD for me, financially dumb for me for my daily driver.
Oh and nope not me talking about turbo kits being too pricey, too pricey for my RWD daily driver? Yes! (can't see the point to be honest). But then again, another way to bolster some bull**** point of yours.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 PM

Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. I bought the M5 2+ years ago and got rid of it after almost 2 years. I currently own an E63 S. I love the E63 S... but above 60mph, the M5 is faster..sorry to hurt your ego.
I didn't bother to read your drivel, LOL.

I find it funny that you dumped your M5 to go into an E63 S.

I have raced a standard F10 M5 on the freeway with paddles and beat it, yet somehow it's faster. Given a decent driver (driver being the key), the E63 S is faster.

The F10 is a dog off the line compared to the E63 S.

I guess coming from a 911 Turbo, I am just partial to AWD.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:02 AM

Youtube videos of roll racing says otherwise. M5 accelerates faster.
Dont be upset, there are many things that the e63s does better than m5.
The YouTube videos are mostly a joke. I have noticed the roll races you speak of are with auto shifting and not with paddle shifting. A good paddle shifting can beat the M5 on the freeway, and I know, I have done it.

The MCT is no where near as good at determining the best gear to be in compared to the DCT. Therefore, I challenge any of you to practice your paddle shifts (like they use in DTM) and go race an M5 on the freeway. You might be surprised. I think too many people try and race fast RWD cars with auto shifting.

Both Motor Trend and Road and Track have both tested the E63 S and say it's faster and it is. So don't believe me, but when you start doubting reputable car mags, it's a little ridiculous.

The M5 is a nice car, but it's not as fast as the E63 S and countless sources have said so.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zod
I don't know why, but I am getting a very M3 type of driver vibe from you Me Drive the bestest fastest meanest track car EVA!

It is clear you are trying to get people into a pissing contest

For your opinion to matter we need to see proof, else you are a troll

And to the topic poster. when people say drive what makes you happy, this has a very deep meaning and take it from experience.

A car that is ''faster'' is not always the car that you want to own and drive on a daily basis. you need to figure out your main needs and wants from the car.

Example comfort, daily drivability , seating, speed, maintenance and so forth.

Look at the GTR, many people tried it and moved on...why when it's one of the fastest ?
Thanks for your incredible words of wisdom.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S

I don't think that's funny as I did the exact same thing... I think we're actually privileged to get behind the wheel of different cars.
TMC M5 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG or M
The YouTube videos are mostly a joke. I have noticed the roll races you speak of are with auto shifting and not with paddle shifting. A good paddle shifting can beat the M5 on the freeway, and I know, I have done it.

The MCT is no where near as good at determining the best gear to be in compared to the DCT. Therefore, I challenge any of you to practice your paddle shifts (like they use in DTM) and go race an M5 on the freeway. You might be surprised. I think too many people try and race fast RWD cars with auto shifting.

Both Motor Trend and Road and Track have both tested the E63 S and say it's faster and it is. So don't believe me, but when you start doubting reputable car mags, it's a little ridiculous.

The M5 is a nice car, but it's not as fast as the E63 S and countless sources have said so.
You are such a troll. Find me a single video where e63 beats f10 m5 stock for stock from a roll.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

I have raced a standard F10 M5 on the freeway with paddles and beat it, yet somehow it's faster. Given a decent driver (driver being the key), the E63 S is faster.

The F10 is a dog off the line compared to the E63 S.

I guess coming from a 911 Turbo, I am just partial to AWD.
You know what I find funny...is that you claim that you didn't bother to read my "drivel", yet you still quote me and attempt (and I use attempt very loosely here) to take me to task on my content. But you always seem to come up short on your facts...and claim antecdotal "evidence" of beating up on M5s. I provided vbox data that was verified. Show me a stock (drop in filters/mufflers) E63 S with a better 60-130mph time with an under 3% slope.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:39 AM

You know what I find funny...is that you claim that you didn't bother to read my "drivel", yet you still quote me and attempt (and I use attempt very loosely here) to take me to task on my content. But you always seem to come up short on your facts...and claim antecdotal "evidence" of beating up on M5s. I provided vbox data that was verified. Show me a stock (drop in filters/mufflers) E63 S with a better 60-130mph time with an under 3% slope.
There are always holes in your logic and nearly everything you say, it's not hard to take you to task! LOL!!!!!

Seriously, there are just numerous sources that the E63 S is faster in like 5 different categories but you will die to make the point that it's faster on a roll. Ridiculous.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 AM

You are such a troll. Find me a single video where e63 beats f10 m5 stock for stock from a roll.
You're ridiculous you know that? Just ridiculous.

You "On a roll" bunch really get on a roll.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by nynd
I don't think that's funny as I did the exact same thing... I think we're actually privileged to get behind the wheel of different cars.
Indeed.

These are fast cars and while I really like the M5, it's a beautiful car, I just can't stand it when people make a car more than it is. The E63 S is really just a bonkers car.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
There are always holes in your logic and nearly everything you say, it's not hard to take you to task! LOL!!!!!

Seriously, there are just numerous sources that the E63 S is faster in like 5 different categories but you will die to make the point that it's faster on a roll. Ridiculous.
Sorry, no holes in my logic... I can't say the same for yours since your arguments are based on an emotional defense to justify your purchase. If you want pure independent data from impartial parties, okay I will dig it up for you. Even though I know you will come up with some other outlandish reasons to dismiss it since it does not support your agenda (like how I show you dynos supporting my statements and then you dismiss them as being falsified).
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
The YouTube videos are mostly a joke.

+1,

[---YouTube NOT always honest measure or prove---],

if you notice something; most M5 or any other BMW fans wins a competition, with "MB's or Audi's",

they put their clips immid. with BIG smile on YouTube, or on their own forums..!

but when they lost, they didn't admit, they have many Excuses in their pants packet..

,,ZAYED,,
proxygeek (07-19-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is m5 faster that e63s