Sponsored by:

lane keeping assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
lane keeping assist?

I allegedly have this feature on my car -- not the active version, just the "normal" version. However I don't think I've ever gotten it to work, either in standard or adaptive mode. According to the manual:

"When Lane Keeping Assist or Active Lane Keeping Assist is activated, the symbol appears in the multifunction display when the ignition is on."

I get no such symbol. If I browse to the "lane keeping graphics" option in the dash, I do get a graphic of a big car with lanes on the side, and the lanes do appear to be detected -- they turn green. However, no vibration occurs at any time if I drift over them.

I also never get the "coffee cup" symbol for attention assist, even though it too is enabled. Is there something specific to the AMG display that doesn't show these symbols?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
I allegedly have this feature on my car -- not the active version, just the "normal" version. However I don't think I've ever gotten it to work, either in standard or adaptive mode. According to the manual:

"When Lane Keeping Assist or Active Lane Keeping Assist is activated, the symbol appears in the multifunction display when the ignition is on."

I get no such symbol. If I browse to the "lane keeping graphics" option in the dash, I do get a graphic of a big car with lanes on the side, and the lanes do appear to be detected -- they turn green. However, no vibration occurs at any time if I drift over them.

I also never get the "coffee cup" symbol for attention assist, even though it too is enabled. Is there something specific to the AMG display that doesn't show these symbols?
Something is wrong because I have same system and settings and I get the vibrations in the steering

I never get the coffee cup ... Apparently you have to drive a certain distance or length of time before that displays... And I think you have to be doing mostly steady highway driving
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Something is wrong because I have same system and settings and I get the vibrations in the steering

I never get the coffee cup ... Apparently you have to drive a certain distance or length of time before that displays... And I think you have to be doing mostly steady highway driving
+1 I thought that it was not working but in a long steady drive I did get the warning. in the same ride back I drove more lively and did not get it.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Do you get an icon in the multifunction display?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
My car told me to take a break once.

Last edited by YellowJacket; 08-16-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
It might be as simple as you don't have these features turned on. There is a menu that lists all of these safety assist features and the option to turn them off or on. If you said you already checked this and I missed it, then my bad. If not, check that menu.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vrodman
It might be as simple as you don't have these features turned on. There is a menu that lists all of these safety assist features and the option to turn them off or on. If you said you already checked this and I missed it, then my bad. If not, check that menu.
As I mentioned in the first post, yes I tried it both on standard and adaptive mode.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
My car told me to take a break once.

That bossy little B!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:50 AM
AG6

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
13 GL550
I was wondering about that since I have not seen the coffee cup yet. Don't do much highway driving that could be the cause.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by AG6
I was wondering about that since I have not seen the coffee cup yet. Don't do much highway driving that could be the cause.
Yeah it will not pop even if you are drunk or stone driving back from your mistress house... the MB system does not recognize or store historical facial history yet that I know..
Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have active lane keeping assist and it vibrates as well as corrects you when you are 'crossing the line' in specific situations (sometimes surprises me when you don't expect it). I have had the coffee cup show up on my wagon and our SLK a few times particularly when I am on a long highway drive. Works well for me.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 PM

Brought this up with my dealer at the 2k oil change... he took it for a drive and claims it is working fine. Said that no icon is normal (despite the claims in the manual). Said that it will typically vibrate only when drifting over solid white lines at either end of a lane, not lines within a lane. I tried testing it again and if it is vibrating, it's subtle enough to not be distinguishable over the typical vibrations induced by the dots/grooves/rough pavement outside of lane boundaries around here. Anyways, not a big deal, I didn't buy this car for nanny features.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63S AMG
Mine vibrates when I cross solid or dotted lines when passing. Something is wrong with yours.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Yep, steering wheel should vibrate.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 AMG E63S 212
The lane keeping assist-active is very interesting. When in cruise, there is an green steering wheel icon that comes up in display. If you remove your hands from the wheel, red hands show up, telling you to touch the wheel. Otherwise, the car will try to stay in the lines on the road. On I-95 it will keep you in line, unless marking on the road changes. You really need to stay on task, though, as sharper than normal curves will fool it. And forget it when there is snow on the shoulders, as it will continue to search for the lane. A sure thing to get pulled over. Not a perfect system, but works to alleviate the boredom of I-95 from NY to FL. I actually am more alert when the system is engaged. And I get the coffee cup or the warning to change drivers a lot.
By the way I have had the lane keeping assist on my last car as well (E350 wagon) and the vibration is really welcomed.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM

Location: Mercedes Benz of Catonsville, Maryland AMG Performance Center, Renntech Dealer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - Weistec Supercharged, 1994 Nissan Skyline GTST (650whp), 2012 E350 4-Matic (Wifeys)
Take it to the dealer. Vibration motors go bad. Double triple check its all turned on, and then if it's not working, I'd stop by the dealer
Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stubbyfoil
Take it to the dealer. Vibration motors go bad. Double triple check its all turned on, and then if it's not working, I'd stop by the dealer
I did, they drove it and told me it was working. Only thing I can do at this point is take it there again and insist they drive it with me in the car so I can witness the event. I'll wait until the next service interval to do that, I guess.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 AM

Alright well this actually works. I was mistaking the rhythmic nature of the vibrations for the feel of driving over Botts Dotts or pavement grooves (or just plain ripped-up asphalt), which are ubiquitous around here. Still, there should also be some sort of on-dash and audio notification that the drifting has been detected, as well as the vibration.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Alright well this actually works. I was mistaking the rhythmic nature of the vibrations for the feel of driving over Botts Dotts or pavement grooves (or just plain ripped-up asphalt), which are ubiquitous around here. Still, there should also be some sort of on-dash and audio notification that the drifting has been detected, as well as the vibration.
Actually, there is a graphic that shows up in the center display.
but i sometimes it doesn't show up. There might be levels of departure that it senses and only show the graphic when it thinks I've really screwed up.

i found this online of a standard e-class display. it looks very close to this.

It's a bit silly though, as that's probably the least ideal moment for me to be paying attention to the display. i should probably be paying attention on not dying.

Last edited by donger; 09-08-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 Wagon, BMW 530XiT Wagon, Ferrari 348 Challenge, Corvette C6R TransAm SGT, Ferrari 400i, 78 Vette
Originally Posted by donger
Actually, there is a graphic that shows up in the center display.
but i sometimes it doesn't show up. There might be levels of departure that it senses and only show the graphic when it thinks I've really screwed up.

i found this online of a standard e-class display. it looks very close to this.

It's a bit silly though, as that's probably the least ideal moment for me to be paying attention to the display. i should probably be paying attention on not dying.
So I just picked-up my new to me 2016 E63S wagon, and am driving it across country from Vegas to NYC. Driving through some of the twisty roads in the national parks, if I touched a solid line, the image above would come up, and steering wheel would pull the car back to center. Really annoying. Sometimes unsettling. I have the steering assist and attention assist both turned OFF. Even with the word OFF for attention assist and steering assist up on the dash, still did it.

When I turn traction control to SPORT or OFF, it doesnt seem to happen.

Is this right? Seems I should be able to turn this off and have it stay off without srewing around so much.

BTW- everytime Inturn the car off, attention assist goes back to on (STANDARD) and I have to turn it off again.

Hi do I shut this all off?

Last edited by Jason Berkeley; 04-27-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 AM

E63 Wagon, BMW 530XiT Wagon, Ferrari 348 Challenge, Corvette C6R TransAm SGT, Ferrari 400i, 78 Vette
Originally Posted by Jason Berkeley
So I just picked-up my new to me 2016 E63S wagon, and am driving it across country from Vegas to NYC. Driving through some of the twisty roads in the national parks, if I touched a solid line, the image above would come up, and steering wheel would pull the car back to center. Really annoying. Sometimes unsettling. I have the steering assist and attention assist both turned OFF. Even with the word OFF for attention assist and steering assist up on the dash, still did it.

Is this right? Seems I should be able to turn this off and have it stay off without srewing around so much.

BTW- everytime Inturn the car off, attention assist goes back to on (STANDARD) and I have to turn it off again.

Spoke to the shop foreman at Mercedes-Benz of Flagstaff who confirmed that the traction control does indeed need to be in SPORT or totally off for all of these nannies to be completely off.

Is that everyone's actual experience as well?

Thanks

Last edited by Jason Berkeley; 04-28-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:01 PM

Spoke to the shop foreman at Mercedes-Benz of Flagstaff who confirmed that the traction control does 8ndeed need to be in SPORT or totally off for all of these nannies to be completely off.

Is that everyone's actual experience as well?

Thanks
Why would you actually drive in Comfort mode? I only turn it on when hopping between parking lots at the mall or something. May as well have bought a used Saturn if you never go past Comfort since that's all the performance it gives you.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:26 PM

Why would you actually drive in Comfort mode? I only turn it on when hopping between parking lots at the mall or something. May as well have bought a used Saturn if you never go past Comfort since that's all the performance it gives you.
Read my post. Who said anything about comfort mode? Transmission is always set to either Sport, Sport+, or Manual, and suspension always on Sport+.

Traction control is what I referenced. It seems odd to me that you have to turn the traction control to sport or off. Not suspension or transmission.

And besides, even if I wanted to drive it in comfort mode (say im on crappy roads or in a city), if I dont want the nannies on, why should I have to screw around with traction control.

Any way, can someone please post something USEFUL and advise if it is their experience as well that you need to turn the TC to sport or off to have the lane assist completely off?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM

C300 Cabriolet
I have a 2019 C300 with Lane Keeping Assist (part of Driver Assist pkg). I never see a symbol when crossing a lane divider, but it does vibrate the wheels/steering. If I venture close to the solid curb (right) markings, it does the vibrate thing and shows me a visual warning too. The problem I have is it doesn't ALWAYS work. Sometimes it warns me (vibrates) when I cross a lane marking, sometimes it doesn't. Took it in twice and first time dealer said "no problem found". 2nd time I made them ride with me and they said "working as designed". I asked that they notify Mercedes Design/Engineering/Marketing and they (shop foreman) said there's nothing they can do; I should contact Customer Service; Idiots. Similar problem with Driver Assist feature, but that's a different thread.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:41 AM

GLA 250

Hi. I know you’re all wanting to be sporty and all that, but I will share my experience. I have all my safety features on. Nannies if you want to call them. And they have saved my life a few times already. The worst one was it was dark (dawn time) in the morning and it was foggy. I’m going to work and I get behind a car driving a little fast. I didn’t realize their brake lights didn’t work. They put their turning signal on so I started to brake not realizing they were braking sharply. If I didn’t have my “nannies” on I would’ve rear ended that car. Instead, the car took over and slammed the brakes which slammed me against my seatbelt and scared the bejeezus out of me. However, I did not hit the car in front of me barely. Due to how dark it was and their lack of break lights and the fog the situation could’ve been so much worse.