W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, thoughts on this? (Scratch ding dent)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Guys, thoughts on this? (Scratch ding dent)

Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

A lovely thing to stumble across ...happened while car was parked ... people are classy

bumper seems like it can be sprayed and blended and cleared but the rear quarter has subtle subtle linear ding
Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Hard to tell, but seems to need a bit of respray.
Sucks. Happened to me the other day.
Parked at grocery store and someone hit when trying to park next to me. Daughter was in the car and told me immediately only to come out to see guy left. Surprisingly guy returned about 25 min later. Old guy. Says he went to get his wallet.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Jimminez
Hard to tell, but seems to need a bit of respray.
Sucks. Happened to me the other day.
Parked at grocery store and someone hit when trying to park next to me. Daughter was in the car and told me immediately only to come out to see guy left. Surprisingly guy returned about 25 min later. Old guy. Says he went to get his wallet.

thanks for the reply! Sorry about your ride as well ...
Old 07-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63S Steel Grey/Beige Nappa, Lexus GX470, Honda Accord
Both of your instances suck. I've had it happen to me twice on previous cars. I park way away from civilation when I drive the E63, but there's always that one idiot who still wants to park next to you.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Look for a good body shop. I had a 1” resprayed on my 211. I couldn’t tell the difference.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by EddieK
Both of your instances suck. I've had it happen to me twice on previous cars. I park way away from civilation when I drive the E63, but there's always that one idiot who still wants to park next to you.
That is so true!! Lol
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

I had my palladium e550 done by a Benz certified shop that essentially did a flawless job and the repair was invisible ... I'll try them

thanks guys
Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Hate it when that happens. Sorry that it happened to you, but i can’t really see clearly from your photos of the damages. Keep in mind that once you report it to your insurance for claim/repairs, it’ll show up on carfax and well the car will depreciate more than our cars already have. Maybe have a reputable paintless dent removal and buff out the scratches will save you more down the rosd vs claim/depreciation/carfax?
Old 07-09-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by EddieK
There is study in human behavior here. I agree 100%. YO park far away and there is always a knuckle head that parks right next to you. And usually in a crappy car, many times a "mom car" (used to be minivan, now HUGE SUV). Clearly not for protecting their own car, but for some reason it viewed as cool. '
It's simply weird.
Of course it's also selective memory. The times we park like that and there is NO car parked next to you, you instantaneously forget....

The following users liked this post:
echanlyn (03-30-2020)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by S63AMG888
Hate it when that happens. Sorry that it happened to you, but i can’t really see clearly from your photos of the damages. Keep in mind that once you report it to your insurance for claim/repairs, it’ll show up on carfax and well the car will depreciate more than our cars already have. Maybe have a reputable paintless dent removal and buff out the scratches will save you more down the rosd vs claim/depreciation/carfax?
Thanks man for the reply
i plan on keeping this lady for about 7 years ... I wonder how much I'll really lose in depreciation .. I already have a windshield claim on it ... I hate hate paying cash for this stuff especially over $1000

Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

They are estimating $2600

ill pay $500 in deductible

in three years when I get rid of this I'm not sure how much more I'll lose on this claim if on carfax particularly if I'm trading it in for a new one

thoughts?
echanlyn (03-30-2020)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
They are estimating $2600

ill pay $500 in deductible

in three years when I get rid of this I'm not sure how much more I'll lose on this claim if on carfax particularly if I'm trading it in for a new one

thoughts?
i would first have a reputable paint less dent removal guy look at it and see if he can remove the dent part and a detailer see if he can buff out the scratches. If they say yes, it’ll cost less than your $500 deducible and you’ll get a full detail while your at it and still be around your deductible amount.

if you are keeping the car for 3 years, for sure it’ll show on carfax because even if your insurance don’t report it to carfax, the body shop will or will sell the information of the claim and and someone’s will report it to carfax, either way, it’ll show up on the report.

No matter how long down the road when you either sell it privately or as a trade in, someone will knock off way more than your deductible as in maybe 2-3k.

Best of luck, hate it when it happens and your not even at fault.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks man for the reply
i plan on keeping this lady for about 7 years ... I wonder how much I'll really lose in depreciation .. I already have a windshield claim on it ... I hate hate paying cash for this stuff especially over $1000

My pleasure and don’t worry about windshield claim, it will not show up on carfax. Replace a few windshields in my days and never seen it show up on the report so no depreciation there.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

i would first have a reputable paint less dent removal guy look at it and see if he can remove the dent part and a detailer see if he can buff out the scratches. If they say yes, it’ll cost less than your $500 deducible and you’ll get a full detail while your at it and still be around your deductible amount.

if you are keeping the car for 3 years, for sure it’ll show on carfax because even if your insurance don’t report it to carfax, the body shop will or will sell the information of the claim and and someone’s will report it to carfax, either way, it’ll show up on the report.

No matter how long down the road when you either sell it privately or as a trade in, someone will knock off way more than your deductible as in maybe 2-3k.

great advice thank you

So at this facility they do have a paint less dent removal guy and he said though he can make the dent better there is still a deep scratch not quite down to metal that will need to be filled or sprayed additionally the bumper has some depth to the scratch though it can be overhauled, for it to look perfect or "invisible" then I'll need to pay close to $2500. My thought is that either I pay this $2600 now or later on trade-in and What I CAN control in the future on a new car purchase is negotiation of the new car and to some degree negotiation of the used car value, so I'm thinking I just go through insurance take the Carfax hit and get this done perfectly

thoughts?

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.
echanlyn (03-30-2020)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

I have Allstate as well accident forgiveness so my rate won't go up on this.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG

Peter,

I wouldn't worry so much about the carfax. What you need to do is fully document the damage as you've done here. If I were buying the car and you explained the carfax with these pics I wouldn't have the slightest worry. It's when you don't know what happened that scares people the most. Also, having done all of my detailing over the years to my cars I am quite good at it and I can tell you that much of what you see will likely rub out. I am guess the black you see is paint transfer from the idiot that hit you and it will come off for sure.

If I were you, I would try what S63 recommends and see how far you can get without paint work. Not sure a paintless dent removal guy can get that long crease out though. If you can get it minimized prior to deciding to proceed with the full paint repair you can take pictures then that will show how insignificant the carfax incident was. Additionally, In case you did not know, if you are really worried about the carfax you can always pay for the damage in full out of pocket. If you do this it will not show up on carfax. Unless somehow you have already reported this to your insurance company and they have documented it. Even in this instance, if they pay nothing they may drop it and not file the carfax.

That's my advice.

Sorry brother this happened to you. Lots of losers in our world unfortunately.
echanlyn (03-30-2020)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
I am very particular and meticulous with my vehicles and I would first attempt some paint correction and buffing. I imagine most of that will come right out. Paint would be a last resort and even then I would have to think long and hard if painting would even be worth it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Vrodman
Peter,

I wouldn't worry so much about the carfax. What you need to do is fully document the damage as you've done here. If I were buying the car and you explained the carfax with these pics I wouldn't have the slightest worry. It's when you don't know what happened that scares people the most. Also, having done all of my detailing over the years to my cars I am quite good at it and I can tell you that much of what you see will likely rub out. I am guess the black you see is paint transfer from the idiot that hit you and it will come off for sure.

If I were you, I would try what S63 recommends and see how far you can get without paint work. Not sure a paintless dent removal guy can get that long crease out though. If you can get it minimized prior to deciding to proceed with the full paint repair you can take pictures then that will show how insignificant the carfax incident was. Additionally, In case you did not know, if you are really worried about the carfax you can always pay for the damage in full out of pocket. If you do this it will not show up on carfax. Unless somehow you have already reported this to your insurance company and they have documented it. Even in this instance, if they pay nothing they may drop it and not file the carfax.

That's my advice.

Sorry brother this happened to you. Lots of losers in our world unfortunately.
thanks man, great advice as always

my insurance agent has been advising me off the books so as not to make anything official ... I worry the diamond white will be hard to blend

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I am very particular and meticulous with my vehicles and I would first attempt some paint correction and buffing. I imagine most of that will come right out. Paint would be a last resort and even then I would have to think long and hard if painting would even be worth it.
What type of shop can do paint correction? Thanks for the reply
Old 07-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Any high end detailing outfit in your area should be able to handle it.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG

thanks man, great advice as always

my insurance agent has been advising me off the books so as not to make anything official ... I worry the diamond white will be hard to blend

Peter,

I really don't believe you will have any issue blending that Diamond White. The repair shop will simply get a pint code from your vin or dealer. I would agree if you had a red 12 year old car that matching would be tough. But I strongly doubt you will have anything to worry about. AGAIN, I also recommend you get it rubbed out and cleaned up as far as you can without any new paint. I would then take it to a different body shop and show them how minimal the fix needed is. A lot of these shops purposely don't tell you that 80% of the fix can be rubbed out so they can justify the repair cost.

Good Luck
echanlyn (03-30-2020)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ok found a dent guy I'll check in with tomorrow who also does paint correction ... well rated

more to come thanks guys

this is way worse and it came out nice:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Vrodman
Peter,

I really don't believe you will have any issue blending that Diamond White. The repair shop will simply get a pint code from your vin or dealer. I would agree if you had a red 12 year old car that matching would be tough. But I strongly doubt you will have anything to worry about. AGAIN, I also recommend you get it rubbed out and cleaned up as far as you can without any new paint. I would then take it to a different body shop and show them how minimal the fix needed is. A lot of these shops purposely don't tell you that 80% of the fix can be rubbed out so they can justify the repair cost.

Good Luck
ok will do -- gunna hit two dent detailing guys tomorrow before work and then go back to my collision guys and see what they can do ...thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guys, thoughts on this? (Scratch ding dent)