Sponsored by:

Buying an E63s. Never-ending warranty questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Buying an E63s. Never-ending warranty questions

I have chimed in here enough and nearly worn out my welcome when it comes too warranty questions.

I am buying an E63s in the upcoming months. A Warranty is paramount for me. I stopped by my local Mercedes dealership this am and had a great conversation with a salesman. Originally, I was going to buy a 2016 CPO and figure out what to do warranty-wise while I was at the dealer.

The salesman explained the CPO warranty and recommended the following: To maximize the amount of warranty for the price, buy a 2014-2016 E63s (face lift), Non-CPO that has the lowest mileage and is in the best shape. Since it will not be CPO the price will be lower and I can take the money and buy the best after-market warranty possible. Given the CPO would cost me 4-5k above market price and the EXTENDED CPO warranty another 5k, I could get a nice car with a solid AM warranty.

Personally, I had great luck with my AM warranty on my 911...I am willing to do it again.

Any thoughts??
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by thxrick
I have chimed in here enough and nearly worn out my welcome when it comes too warranty questions.

I am buying an E63s in the upcoming months. A Warranty is paramount for me. I stopped by my local Mercedes dealership this am and had a great conversation with a salesman. Originally, I was going to buy a 2016 CPO and figure out what to do warranty-wise while I was at the dealer.

The salesman explained the CPO warranty and recommended the following: To maximize the amount of warranty for the price, buy a 2014-2016 E63s (face lift), Non-CPO that has the lowest mileage and is in the best shape. Since it will not be CPO the price will be lower and I can take the money and buy the best after-market warranty possible. Given the CPO would cost me 4-5k above market price and the EXTENDED CPO warranty another 5k, I could get a nice car with a solid AM warranty.

Personally, I had great luck with my AM warranty on my 911...I am willing to do it again.

Any thoughts??
It's all about peace of mind right? If you were happy with the AM warranty on your 911 and you can buy the same or similar warranty from them again (assuming they cover AMG's, because all of them do not) you should go that route. Basically, if you feel good about going this route based on experience then follow your gut grasshopper !

As I have mentioned on many other threads on this topic I had very good luck with Members Choice AM warranty. I think it might have been you that used them as well?

Good Luck with whatever shakes out.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Third party warranty companies are the worst. That's speaking from dealing with them as a customer and from the shop view. Always go official manufacturer if you can help it. I try to talk people out of warranty companies wherever possible.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'15 E63S (hers) '08 E90M (his)
We were lucky that the in-service date on our 2015 (8/2015) meant the CPO period could be extended out to Q3 of 2023. Keep the in-service date in mind when you're shopping (easy to find on a carfax or from the dealer). And obviously you have to buy through an MB dealer to get MB CPO which is an automatic premium even if the car is NOT CPO

Also, keep in mind at least in theory, the CPO process will refresh a good amount of stuff on the car. Ours got a few software updates, key fob batteries replaced, Service II oil/filters/yada and tires at one end before the car could be sold CPO, so that's a couple grand worth of work at MB service center pricing. A non-CPO car may lean more towards as-is, consumables and maintenance notwithstanding

Last edited by Richbot; 02-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by brfatal
Third party warranty companies are the worst. That's speaking from dealing with them as a customer and from the shop view. Always go official manufacturer if you can help it. I try to talk people out of warranty companies wherever possible.
Granted they are not as good as the MB ELW or the CPO in general. And yes, it is more of headache dealing with them as My SA learned first hand when I had one for my 2011. There is a place for them though. For instance my 2011 was not eligible for any type of MB warranty when I bought her at only 3 years old. She was still under factory warranty though for 1 more year. That 3rd party warranty ended up paying out ~$30k in total for various things and I purchased the warranty for $4k. So this warranty certainly wasn't "the worst".

Things like this are not black and white, good or bad, right or wrong. When it makes sense there is a place for them if one does their due diligence and researches for a reputable warranty company. With all that said, I did in fact make sure I could get the MB ELW on my 2015 before I pulled the trigger.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by Vrodman
It's all about peace of mind right? If you were happy with the AM warranty on your 911 and you can buy the same or similar warranty from them again (assuming they cover AMG's, because all of them do not) you should go that route. Basically, if you feel good about going this route based on experience then follow your gut grasshopper !

As I have mentioned on many other threads on this topic I had very good luck with Members Choice AM warranty. I think it might have been you that used them as well?

Good Luck with whatever shakes out.
Thanks, Vrdoman! I think I am leaning towards a CPO then stack an AM warranty on top. I know I will be paying a premium but the peace of mind is worth it!

Originally Posted by Richbot
We were lucky that the in-service date on our 2015 (8/2015) meant the CPO period could be extended out to Q3 of 2023. Keep the in-service date in mind when you're shopping (easy to find on a carfax or from the dealer). And obviously you have to buy through an MB dealer to get MB CPO which is an automatic premium even if the car is NOT CPO

Also, keep in mind at least in theory, the CPO process will refresh a good amount of stuff on the car. Ours got a few software updates, key fob batteries replaced, Service II oil/filters/yada and tires at one end before the car could be sold CPO, so that's a couple grand worth of work at MB service center pricing. A non-CPO car may lean more towards as-is, consumables and maintenance notwithstanding
very good point on the CPO and the "refresh"....I am looking forward to seeing what I can find out there.

I appreciate all of the input!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'15 E63S (hers) '08 E90M (his)
Don't take that to mean I think you can trust the CPO process to find and fix all issues either. Ours was sold to us (out of state, flew in/drove back) with a feathered/damaged right rear tire that caused a significant highway vibration, and a broken tab on the filler door and was told sorry pal tough luck by the dealer when I found them after the sale. It also needed a new coolant reservoir and a new e-brake pedal assembly (both of those were warrantied and handled by my local dealer, but required two visits to get handled due to parts availability)

Sooooo it's nice but get the receipts from MB's service system and double check they did what they said they did if you buy CPO is my advice, and then haggle some more if you find issues. I'd like to think the CPO process is as good as an indpendent PPI (I certainly did) but it's not necessarily so
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,172 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You do realize that the reason the salesman was pushing the aftermarket warranty was because the profit margin on it is much higher than a CPO or ELW right? You can go the extended warranty subforum and find the extra 2 years of a CPO much cheaper than the dealer. Compare the prices and the coverage, you usually end up paying more for less.

Also as other said, the MB warranty is usually the best one to get. You may be fine with aftermarket ones, but it's more of a gamble. Some go out of business, some will come up with excuses to deny coverage or want a second option or have limits to coverage. But there are ones out there that don't do that, just harder to find and if you want peace of mind, stick with the MB warranty.

Of course because MB only goes up to 7 years, sometimes if you want a longer warranty, the aftermarket is the only place that will sell you one.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:28 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Don't take that to mean I think you can trust the CPO process to find and fix all issues either. Ours was sold to us (out of state, flew in/drove back) with a feathered/damaged right rear tire that caused a significant highway vibration, and a broken tab on the filler door and was told sorry pal tough luck by the dealer when I found them after the sale. It also needed a new coolant reservoir and a new e-brake pedal assembly (both of those were warrantied and handled by my local dealer, but required two visits to get handled due to parts availability)

Sooooo it's nice but get the receipts from MB's service system and double check they did what they said they did if you buy CPO is my advice, and then haggle some more if you find issues. I'd like to think the CPO process is as good as an indpendent PPI (I certainly did) but it's not necessarily so
I agree. It’s a good starting point though. After you purchased your car and found the issues, didn’t the dealer take care of them all under the CPO warranty?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 530 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
the premium of $5k for CPO seems crazy to me.

Just look on MB web site for CPOs and include normal Used cars and check the differences for similar cars... you will find it is not that high.

I find it to be around $1.5-2K depending on Mileage
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Give her a call. She is much cheaper than all the others I contacted for CPO or ELW.

Cassandra

414-543-3000 ext 115
ccastro@iamilwaukee.com
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Give her a call. She is much cheaper than all the others I contacted for CPO or ELW.

Cassandra

414-543-3000 ext 115
ccastro@iamilwaukee.com
She is on my list. I don’t know if i I’ll qualify. Depends on the car I find. Will def call her. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3

How can you extend CPO to get 8 years of coverage? Original warranty is 4 years and I believe CPO can only be + three years not four?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by BlownV8

Cassandra

414-543-3000 ext 115
ccastro@iamilwaukee.com
i bought my 2 year CPO extension warranty from cassandra for 3600.last october so am good to 2021. she was a couple hundred less than some of the others that have been mentioned on these boards but they all are very competitive. to me its well worth it as 1 warranty repair will probably cost 3k or more