W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody convert their rear springs to coils?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Anybody convert their rear springs to coils?

I'm over the air bulls**t. I would like to go to coil springs in the rear. Has anyone done this yet on a W212 AMG?
There are rear lowering springs available from H&R for E350 & E550 to match the H&R springs I already have in the front.

Anyone tried it? Anyone know what else I'd need besides the springs themselves?

I'm not looking to spend $2k+ for coilovers and lose the ride quality adjustment. If springs will work, they'll be an easy and cheap solution.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 221 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by AMGSIXTHREE
I'm over the air bulls**t. I would like to go to coil springs in the rear. Has anyone done this yet on a W212 AMG?
There are rear lowering springs available from H&R for E350 & E550 to match the H&R springs I already have in the front.

Anyone tried it? Anyone know what else I'd need besides the springs themselves?

I'm not looking to spend $2k+ for coilovers and lose the ride quality adjustment. If springs will work, they'll be an easy and cheap solution.
I haven't done this conversion, but, if you are looking to do this, I don't see how you are NOT gonna loose loose ride comfort adjustment. The rear suspension is pretty much the air "spring". which is basically an air bag. As far as I know there isn't a conventional strut back there to act as a dampener. I don't think you can take out the air bag and replace it with a conventional spring. You'd HAVE to use a coilover. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:16 AM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
I haven't done this conversion, but, if you are looking to do this, I don't see how you are NOT gonna loose loose ride comfort adjustment. The rear suspension is pretty much the air "spring". which is basically an air bag. As far as I know there isn't a conventional strut back there to act as a dampener. I don't think you can take out the air bag and replace it with a conventional spring. You'd HAVE to use a coilover. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
Actually these cars do have a separate shock and then an air spring. It's not one unit like other MB air ride systems. It's two separate parts. (See attached parts diagram).

The issue I'm trying to work out is whether or not a coil spring will fit on the lower control arm. The non-air E550 and 350 have a different lower control arm, and it doesn't look like that part will fit an E63. I need to put the car on the lift and see what the spring perch looks like. Might do that today.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Actually these cars do have a separate shock and then an air spring. It's not one unit like other MB air ride systems. It's two separate parts. (See attached parts diagram).

The issue I'm trying to work out is whether or not a coil spring will fit on the lower control arm. The non-air E550 and 350 have a different lower control arm, and it doesn't look like that part will fit an E63. I need to put the car on the lift and see what the spring perch looks like. Might do that today.
I would imagine it's possible, but you would have to swap out more that just the airbags for the spring setup. On a w211 you had to swap out the control arms and perch too. I would expect AT LEAST that if not more. It too has a separate shock and airbag in the rear.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 AM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
I would imagine it's possible, but you would have to swap out more that just the airbags for the spring setup. On a w211 you had to swap out the control arms and perch too. I would expect AT LEAST that if not more. It too has a separate shock and airbag in the rear.
Yeah. See my previous post? I need a lower control arm that will accommodate the coil spring.
I think that is probably all, since the upper spring seat rests in a perch in the body itself. It's unlikely they'd change the unibody for just that.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 221 Posts
E63S

Originally Posted by WANTED!!
Good to know! I thought it was ONLY the air bag. Learn something new every day.
AMGSIXTHREE, are you looking to do this conversion b/c you simply do not like the way the car rides on the bags or has you system failed you multiple times and you are done fixing it?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 PM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
Good to know! I thought it was ONLY the air bag. Learn something new every day.
AMGSIXTHREE, are you looking to do this conversion b/c you simply do not like the way the car rides on the bags or has you system failed you multiple times and you are done fixing it?
Both, sorta.
I haven't fixed anything on it yet, but the ride height is inconsistent. I have it lowered with adjustable links. It sinks a little overnight when it's cold, which isn't a huge deal since it comes right up and stays up as soon as i start it. But it also sits about 1/2" too high sometimes, which irritates the **** out of me.
I also don't like the feel of air springs. I've gotten used to it for the most part since I've had this car, but occasionally it shows itself when the car gets unsettled mid-corner and does its lame jell-o jiggle. MUCH prefer normal coil springs.

If i can kill both of those issues with a ~$500 conversion instead of spending thousands on coilovers, and retain the electronic damping adjustment, that would be great!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
If i can kill both of those issues with a ~$500 conversion instead of spending thousands on coilovers, and retain the electronic damping adjustment, that would be great!
There is no such animal ( $500 ) conversion on an AMG model. I'd suspect you would be north of 2k to swap out the parts and get a sporty shock / spring setup.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:43 AM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Savage212
There is no such animal ( $500 ) conversion on an AMG model. I'd suspect you would be north of 2k to swap out the parts and get a sporty shock / spring setup.
I don't need shocks. I need springs and a lower control arm that will accommodate coil springs, like on E350 and E550, and bolt-up to the E63 spindle. The AMG shocks will stay in place.
E350/550 lowering springs are $250. The non-air lower contontrol arms for non-AMG cars are less than $100 each. Upper spring seats are $15 each.

The challenge here is figuring out what exactly is different between the non-AMG, non-air lower control arm and the AMG lower control arm, and possibly modifying one or the other to do what i need it to do. That modification, if necessary, could mean two hours of cutting and welding, or it could mean paying a fabricator to build something for me. If it's the latter, the conversation would probably end up being closer to your estimate.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
https://www.ebay.com/itm/W212-W218-K...oAAOSweTlcftVe

Old 02-28-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
I don't need shocks. I need springs and a lower control arm that will accommodate coil springs, like on E350 and E550, and bolt-up to the E63 spindle. The AMG shocks will stay in place.
E350/550 lowering springs are $250. The non-air lower contontrol arms for non-AMG cars are less than $100 each. Upper spring seats are $15 each.

The challenge here is figuring out what exactly is different between the non-AMG, non-air lower control arm and the AMG lower control arm, and possibly modifying one or the other to do what i need it to do. That modification, if necessary, could mean two hours of cutting and welding, or it could mean paying a fabricator to build something for me. If it's the latter, the conversation would probably end up being closer to your estimate.
Nice work! Sound like you have a plan in place. I would wonder if the dampening rate of the rear shock is compatible with a spring? Considering the range of motion on the air bag setup combined with the bounce of a air bag, you may want to consider a E350 or E550 shock too.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 AM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Savage212
Nice work! Sound like you have a plan in place. I would wonder if the dampening rate of the rear shock is compatible with a spring? Considering the range of motion on the air bag setup combined with the bounce of a air bag, you may want to consider a E350 or E550 shock too.
Yeah, that is my other concern. Neither of the two companies who make lowering springs for W212 (H&R and Eibach) will release their spring rate data. And I wouldn't know how to model those rates against the shock damping rates anyway.
The tech guy i spoke to at H&R said that it shouldn't make too much difference in the rear either way (for non-AMG vs AMG) and their springs are relatively mild, so hopefully they play well together. There is really zero info out here on this so I guess I will have to be the guinea pig and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 AM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by a100steaksauce
Interesting!
He's selling the OE spring suspension parts with it. Hopefully that means those arms will fit an AMG. I'll contact him and ask.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Nvm