Sponsored by:

Very displeased with Eurocharged Tune, violent 2-3 in S+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:05 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by brfatal
Do you have EC's TCU tune or do you have the EDOK tune through EC?
Neither, stock tcu, with a factory Mercedes update
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Yeah sorry, I ninja edited my other post but you caught it before I did. I had the same issue where S+ had some gnarly shifting with a stage 1 EC tune. I was told by multiple shops it's normal but to me S+ was unusable. All other modes shifted fine. I got an EDOK TCU tune last year and it hasn't been a problem since.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:22 PM

poop
Yeah sorry, I ninja edited my other post but you caught it before I did. I had the same issue where S+ had some gnarly shifting with a stage 1 EC tune. I was told by multiple shops it's normal but to me S+ was unusable. All other modes shifted fine. I got an EDOK TCU tune last year and it hasn't been a problem since.
Again, glad it's not just me, but at the same time, this shouldn't be an issue for us at all.
If tcu updates and/or tcu tunes are a prerequisite, then they should disclose that to clients.
Maybe I was naive, but I did not expect changing the boost on a ECU with somehow mess up the way a completely different system, (i.e. the transmission) shifts...
This has been quite the headache

I wasn't really planning on getting the tcu tuned... Plus the closest place is Orlando, about 4 hours away

Last edited by kenneyd; 02-24-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR

interesting. Can the remote tune the tcu ?

eurocharged needs to get a handle on this. Certainly don’t want threads like this around without a quick resolution.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:45 AM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
Originally Posted by kenneyd
Again, glad it's not just me, but at the same time, this shouldn't be an issue for us at all.
If tcu updates and/or tcu tunes are a prerequisite, then they should disclose that to clients.
Maybe I was naive, but I did not expect changing the boost on a ECU with somehow mess up the way a completely different system, (i.e. the transmission) shifts...
This has been quite the headache

I wasn't really planning on getting the tcu tuned... Plus the closest place is Orlando, about 4 hours away
Jerry has a remote TCU tune, from what I've heard. I'm not sure of the process.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Originally Posted by dllhg

eurocharged needs to get a handle on this. Certainly don’t want threads like this around without a quick resolution.
Exactly and this thread has definitely help me make up my mind who not to consider EC when it comes to tuning our cars.

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 02-25-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
I had my 14 E63S tuned at Eurocharged Boston. Stage1 only and it has performed flawlessly since last Summer when Bayhas tuned it. No hiccups whatsoever and the car rips . Before it was tuned I had all the prerequisite maintenance done ( all new coilpacks, oem plugs, Motul oil, diff & trans service, etc ) . Tuning w/o performing basic maintenance never ends well, even if your car has 40K miles. Those plugs are old and with the heat the engine bay generates, coil pack wiring or bodies can deteriorate rapidly.

EC has been around forever and a day since AMG tuning became a thing. Jerry & Co put out maps that are well developed based on both real-world and anecdotal history . Had one on my e55 S/C car way back when and any future AMG of mine will have one again. I have zero affiliation with them, I'm just a happy customer who has had nothing but outstanding exchanges with EC.

The following 2 users liked this post by AMG140.6:
brutus_tx (02-25-2021), JesseB (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts
2014 E63S
Originally Posted by AMG140.6
I had my 14 E63S tuned at Eurocharged Boston. Stage1 only and it has performed flawlessly since last Summer when Bayhas tuned it. No hiccups whatsoever and the car rips . Before it was tuned I had all the prerequisite maintenance done ( all new coilpacks, oem plugs, Motul oil, diff & trans service, etc ) . Tuning w/o performing basic maintenance never ends well, even if your car has 40K miles. Those plugs are old and with the heat the engine bay generates, coil pack wiring or bodies can deteriorate rapidly.

EC has been around forever and a day since AMG tuning became a thing. Jerry & Co put out maps that are well developed based on both real-world and anecdotal history . Had one on my e55 S/C car way back when and any future AMG of mine will have one again. I have zero affiliation with them, I'm just a happy customer who has had nothing but outstanding exchanges with EC.
Its clearly a tune issue since the problem doesn't show up when he is on the stock map, no misfire or else he would throw a check engine light for that. I beleive the ecu reports the trq ratings to the tcu and if those numbers are wack, the shifts will be aggressive /harsh, and seems like this is the issue with s+ mode only where the transmission is set to its fastest shift speed possible
The following users liked this post:
AMG140.6 (03-05-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:56 PM

Received 577 Likes on 248 Posts
2014 AMG E63S and 2020 AMG GTC
Let's not forget the impact a ECU tune will have on a stock TCU car... it's almost guaranteed that the problem will go away when reverting to stock ECU, because you're also reverting to stock horsepower and torque.
I'm not saying its hardware related, but it may be TCU related in conjunction with the transmission hardware, more so than ECU related... assuming Jerry is behaving and not misrepresenting torque.

If you are running a stock TCU, then it will have a greater impact on produced torque across all gears whether the ECU is tuned or not. it's even more aggressive in the lower gears. Tuners sometimes get around this nervous nannie by misrepresenting torque and trying to trick it that way. You probably wouldn't notice it on a stock ECU, but when tuned you will definitely feel torque retard in the lower gears... it's what we all fought until recently before having access to a TCU tune.

It would be of benefit to you if you could log a first through fourth gear pull in HPTuner to see what is going on. I fully expect you will see throttle closure happening at the gear change. This closure will obviously affect boost and produced power, which you will feel when ECU tuned
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
What is concerning is how the same tune responds SO differently on different cars, even with the TCU updated.

Assuming the car being tuned is well maintained.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by billvp218
Jerry has a remote TCU tune, from what I've heard. I'm not sure of the process.

if that is true he should be offering that to people like us with tunes just sitting on the shelf. Atleast to trouble shoot the problem. I took my tune off over a year ago. No way I was going to run the car like that. Had 30k miles. Well maintained. Replaced plugs etc

tried a bunch of revised tunes with them and gave it plenty of time to adapt.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:25 PM

2014 E63S
if that is true he should be offering that to people like us with tunes just sitting on the shelf. Atleast to trouble shoot the problem. I took my tune off over a year ago. No way I was going to run the car like that. Had 30k miles. Well maintained. Replaced plugs etc

tried a bunch of revised tunes with them and gave it plenty of time to adapt.
From what I heard was the tcu tune they sell isn't as dialed in as the edok tune is.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mojo20032004:
5soko (02-25-2021), brutus_tx (03-03-2021), JesseB (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
From what I heard was the tcu tune they sell isn't as dialed in as the edok tune is.

where do you get the edok anyway ? If there’s is good enough to resolve this issue that’s all that matters to me.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:46 PM

poop
I read through those TCU tune posts, it was a little confusing who was doing it, but My understanding was eurocharged was using the EDok tune. But I'm not sure.
anyway there's a link in that main thread that basically has you get it installed at a euro charge location.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:42 PM

2014 E63S
where do you get the edok anyway ? If there’s is good enough to resolve this issue that’s all that matters to me.
I guess a gentleman named David from eurocharged Houston has access to that software, also senad works directly for edok and is based on the east coast

Last edited by Mojo20032004; 02-25-2021 at 06:44 PM.
5soko (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess a gentleman named David from eurocharged Houston has access to that software, also senad works directly for edok and is based on the east coast
can they do it remotely ? I’m in California.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 E63 - Current, 2012 E550 - Current, 2019 Audi Q7 3.0T - current
can they do it remotely ? I’m in California.
where in California? I did the EC TCU tune from Dave when they came to So Cal and if I'm not mistaken it can still be done in the OC.
5soko (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
To the OP, let us know what happens, it may be a mix of the specific ECU and TCU software you have that many not play well with the tune, I am sure EC will dial it in.

Its clearly a tune issue since the problem doesn't show up when he is on the stock map, no misfire or else he would throw a check engine light for that. I beleive the ecu reports the trq ratings to the tcu and if those numbers are wack, the shifts will be aggressive /harsh, and seems like this is the issue with s+ mode only where the transmission is set to its fastest shift speed possible
Def. correct, the TCU takes alot of information from the ECU to make many, many decisions. The most important being line pressure, clamping pressure and force, etc.
The ECU internally calculates many things, and one the TCU looks for always is TQ value so it knows how to behave for for that specific TQ value, how much line pressure, how much clamping force, how much slip, etc etc.
ECU calculates its own TQ value fairly well and accurate internally and that is why a stock car shifts so crisp and well.
Most tuners, by default throw in some under reported TQ calculations in the ECU, so the car can make some good power without running into the tcu TQ limiters. Under report very little and no one will feel it or ever notice it. Long term this does wear clutches sooner and such, but that is a diff topic.
Under report alot, and the car can behave oddly or have clutch slip etc.
I am by no means saying this is the OP's problem at all, or that is what is happening here, just expanding on that point you made a bit more.

Sometimes when many guys go back to stock after being tuned for so long on a tune that under reports tq, first thing they mention is how SMOOTH it all feels. Since the stock tune is reporting accurate tq and the ecu and tcu are in harmony again.

EDOK TCU tune is the longest running, proven, and from what I know, on the fastest M157's in the USA, and many around the world.

I know a few NY/NJ guys who have had this 2-3 gear thud that was fixed by flashing the EDOK TCU.
Now, I do believe that a ECU tune alone should not being doing this hard 2-3 gear change in the first place and should be fixed prior. But the guys who had this issue and got the EDOK TCU, never looked back or cared, as long as it went away and is working well.

I read through those TCU tune posts, it was a little confusing who was doing it, but My understanding was eurocharged was using the EDok tune. But I'm not sure.
anyway there's a link in that main thread that basically has you get it installed at a euro charge location.
I apologize in advance as this is going a bit off topic, as this is a ECU thread you made.

EDOK TCU tune is remote flashed from Germany by 1 tuner, and its important to make that difference clear when compared to other TCU tunes that have suddenly popped up in the market recently. TCU tunes are are not all built the same. EDOK has been selling TCU tune for our cars for years around the world, is a proven product and powers the fastest M157's in the country right now. ONLY David at eurocharged Austin, Texas has been and is selling this tune directly and exclusive from him in the USA, no other EC dealer or person. I aswell and personally helped bring a group buy here in NYC and around the tri state for the guys out here via EDOK. It is currently a inhouse laptop remote flash only. Soon remote tuning will be available from what i am told.
Hope that clears it a bit up. Me, Brett, David helped researched, datalogged, and brought about factual data on the TCU tq limits to the forum when no tuner or company did or wanted to. The very first TCU tunes started rolling in from EDOK back in the start of 2020, outside of Renntech who offered it in the USA since 2014?

It is also good to talk about other points when it comes to TCU tunes. I see alot of fellow forum members jump far too quickly for a tcu tune without knowing too many details and not asking the right questions now with so many TCU tunes available.
Who is using what, what is proven, what the stock TQ limits are for your car, what the limits are being set to after the tune, reliability?

I don't believe the TCU tune is for everybody, especially the ones being sold that are aggressive and removes alot of the limits. This can end in burned clutches, snapped output shafts, and clogged solenoids fairly quickly.
Playing with TQ limits and allowing more TQ into the drivetrain will always decrease components lifespan. No way around that.
Remove all or alot of the tq limits, and you risk snapping a driveshaft when launching too hard, slipping clutch, etc.
Don't remove enough of the TQ limits, and you risk not gaining much performance benefit for the money you just paid.
TCU main point of gains in mostly in first and second gear as shown from many of the fellow dragys slips, which also we assumed since TQ is less of a factor when doing high rolls.
More TQ, higher line pressure, means more frequent trans oil changes imo.
Ask your tuner if their ECU under reports TQ and if they do, can they accurately report TQ now that you are TCU tuned, since there isnt a reason any longer to under report.
Some tuners have the knowledge to make such a tune for you, some dont, some have left the world of M157's and dont care lol.
I do really think many owners will absolutely be happy and satisfied without a TCU tune.

Few things to consider I think for many owners when thinking about a TCU tune and equipped with the knowledge and questions to have.
I am not a tuner of any kind and I may be a bit off on many points I am sure, but I hope this opens the door to more convo, more information.

Last edited by 5soko; 02-26-2021 at 07:40 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 5soko:
AMG140.6 (03-01-2021), brutus_tx (03-03-2021), JesseB (02-25-2021), mbwillgrubs (12-03-2021), san40 (08-19-2023)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 E63 AMG S
I was so excited to get a tune for my car. I read through all the posts here, chose eurocharged.
My car is bone stock with 11k miles. I wasn't looking for anything crazy, just a bit extra, IMO staying in the envelope so I chose stg 1.
I installed the tune, went for a drive and once up to temp I did some runs.
Every single 2-3 shift in S+ is violent. all other shifts (inc S+, S, C &m) have a nice little accelerating 'bump' in your back like they should, but there is something wrong with 2-3.
To describe it further, it feels like someone jabbed on the brakes for 1/4 sec. its a complete reversal of momentum, or decelerating for a split second that throws you forward.
I sent an email to Jerry, 3 days later finally replied: "it will adapt, keep driving it" and to disconnect the battery overnight so the TCU will reset.
As per instructions, I did and then drove it about 80 miles of the past two days and ran it through about 30 2-3 S+ shifts. I cringed as every single one felt the same and I eventually I cried uncle, I cannot put my car through that anymore.
I flashed back to stock just now and took it for a 10 miles drive, Perfect. Every S+ shift is feels the same, a nice little accelerating bump in your back with that beautiful AMG bark.
My trans was updated byMB per 2014050002 in 2015

My goal obviously is to get a working, safe tune I was not pleased with the 'just drive it' response.
I WILL report back if I get this fixed by EC
If anyone has had this issue and had it resolved, please report how.

I did a search here and found quite a few others have experience this from AMS, OE and EC and no one with a EC tune has reported back that their issues was resolved.
blackbenzz, jrosa, arcticfox, wolves.creed, dllhg
Ref threads:
EC https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...sh-shifts.html
EC https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...fter-tune.html
AMS (fixed) https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...rm-update.html

Are you AWD or rear wheel drive? I am AWD, I did a stage 3 E40 tune with Dave EuroCharged ATX as well as the EDOK TCU tune. I have a 2016 E63 AMG S with 31,000 miles at the time of tune, 38,0000 mile currently. ATX changed all the coils, spark plugs, and serviced the transmission when tuning. I have had no issues and am running these times. I have ECE motor mounts, Black Boost intake, and RedStars catless DP. Sorry to hear about your issues!

Old 02-26-2021, 01:10 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
As 5soko said, the EC TCU tune is not the EDOK tune, it's their own inhouse product. EC ATX wasn't even aware of the EC TCU tune module that came out until it was publicly listed for sale. Only EC ATX can do EDOK tunes, which is a separate service. Last year David and Adam from ATX flew out to a bunch of cities to flash cars who took part in group buys.

In my own case I complained both Adam at ATX and Jerry about the S+ shifts but they were very adamant that it was the engine or trans mounts, but it wasn't. Even a local dealer tech and reputable Euro-centric service shop tried to convince me that S+ being harsh was normal. After the TCU tune S+ is still harder shifting, but it's 75% improved.

Last edited by brfatal; 02-26-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownS4
where in California? I did the EC TCU tune from Dave when they came to So Cal and if I'm not mistaken it can still be done in the OC.

Bay Area.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM

2014 E63S
@kenneyd any updates?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by The1stWright
I had an issue with my w212 m156 powered e63 going into limp mode when WOT after flashing it with my laptop.

Ended up having it flashed through a authorized EC shop, no issues at all after that.
I'm having this exact same issue with my Stage 2 Eurocharged tune. Did you do a Dyno tune to resolve it or just have the same EC tune flashed?
DIVINE AMG (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:03 PM

poop
@kenneyd any updates?
Originally Posted by ET_E63S
I'm having this exact same issue with my Stage 2 Eurocharged tune. Did you do a Dyno tune to resolve it or just have the same EC tune flashed?

Final update
As described above, Eurocharged tune caused a violent shift in only the 2-3 S+ shift, on my 2014 e63, as well as a dozen or so other members here. The shift wasn't not a performance "firm" shift, it was a severe on/off type jerk.
The shift issue was instantly resolved when on a stock tune.
All in all, I did everything Jerry asked, jumped through every hoop and tested it for much long than I should have. I am a former EC customer and was quite pleased with the work they did on my e55. Last thing I wanted to do is look like I was bashing a company without troubleshooting the issue first
Eurocharged knew I had a stock 2014, and they simply said they could tune it, no prerequisites, no "you must also get a TCU tune" etc...
EC told me first that it would "adapt on its own". I drove for 80+ miles... Zero change.
EC then sent a bunch a tunes to try, I flashed every one of these... no change.
EC said to reset shift parameters and perform shift adaptations in xentry... No change.
EC then said I needed to have my TCU flashed with a newer MB version. Jerry specifically said to use 0009028526. I was currently on 0009021222 and I flashed it to 0009028526. I also reset the shift learning parameters as per jerrys suggestion... No change
Use xentry to perform multiple two-three shift adaptations... No change
I had a "wet clutch adaptation" performed... No change.
I had a friend with a e63 drive in my car to make sure it "wasn't just me". it definitely was't lol
All in all, I tested/troubleshot for about 620 miles... No change

I then Fixed the issue by flashing back to stock. Requesting a return

Eurocharged then sent a email to me which I think explains a lot. They agreed to the return, (minus shipping lol), but the made it very clear the unit logs would be "fully inspected" to "ensure it was flashed back to stock." I think that makes it clear they never really believed me or the rest of us about the hard shift issues.
I retuned the item, UPS and eurocharged confirm it was delivered 3/8, yet 9 days after they received it, they have yet to refund me, keep telling me they are busy.
Edit, refund received March 17th.

Last edited by kenneyd; 05-08-2021 at 05:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kenneyd:
DIVINE AMG (03-17-2021), timm206 (06-24-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:09 PM

poop
I am obviously very disappointed. I literally was shopping for tunes before I bought the car. Now my car has the taint of being tuned, without the plus of actually having a tune.

I am not a tuner, I dont know why EC tune was not compatible with my car. My hunch is that Jerry has a 2016 that he uses for the basetune. I've read on the forum several places that there were some hardware changes between 14, 15 and 16s as far as the wet clutch and and TCU. I find it plausible that this could cause some issues. Who knows

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very displeased with Eurocharged Tune, violent 2-3 in S+