W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Very displeased with Eurocharged Tune, violent 2-3 in S+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2021 | 06:27 PM

poop
Very displeased with Eurocharged Tune, violent 2-3 in S+

I was so excited to get a tune for my car. I read through all the posts here, chose eurocharged.
My car is bone stock with 11k miles. I wasn't looking for anything crazy, just a bit extra, IMO staying in the envelope so I chose stg 1.
I installed the tune, went for a drive and once up to temp I did some runs.
Every single 2-3 shift in S+ is violent. all other shifts (inc S+, S, C &m) have a nice little accelerating 'bump' in your back like they should, but there is something wrong with 2-3.
To describe it further, it feels like someone jabbed on the brakes for 1/4 sec. its a complete reversal of momentum, or decelerating for a split second that throws you forward.
I sent an email to Jerry, 3 days later finally replied: "it will adapt, keep driving it" and to disconnect the battery overnight so the TCU will reset.
As per instructions, I did and then drove it about 80 miles of the past two days and ran it through about 30 2-3 S+ shifts. I cringed as every single one felt the same and I eventually I cried uncle, I cannot put my car through that anymore.
I flashed back to stock just now and took it for a 10 miles drive, Perfect. Every S+ shift is feels the same, a nice little accelerating bump in your back with that beautiful AMG bark.
My trans was updated byMB per 2014050002 in 2015

My goal obviously is to get a working, safe tune I was not pleased with the 'just drive it' response.
I WILL report back if I get this fixed by EC
If anyone has had this issue and had it resolved, please report how.

I did a search here and found quite a few others have experience this exact issue from their Eurocharged tune as well as AMS, and OE. However, no one with a EC tune has reported back that their issues was resolved.
blackbenzz, jrosa, arcticfox, wolves.creed, dllhg, ET_E63S
Ref threads:
EC https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...sh-shifts.html
EC https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...fter-tune.html
AMS (fixed by tuner) https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...rm-update.html

Final update post 49: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post8293645

Last edited by kenneyd; 05-08-2021 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kenneyd:
DIVINE AMG (03-17-2021), timm206 (06-24-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 07:45 PM

2014 E63S
I had an issue with my w212 m156 powered e63 going into limp mode when WOT after flashing it with my laptop.

Ended up having it flashed through a authorized EC shop, no issues at all after that.
The following users liked this post:
DIVINE AMG (03-17-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 07:53 PM

2016 E63s
Sounds like throttle closure. Any way to datalog ie HPT?

I'd be bummed too, but from what I've seen the track record for EC is usually they come through to make it right.
Old 02-20-2021 | 08:05 PM

poop
Originally Posted by NoVAe63s
Sounds like throttle closure. Any way to datalog ie HPT?

I'd be bummed too, but from what I've seen the track record for EC is usually they come through to make it right.
I do not have any of the hpt products. I do have torque pro for data logging. Any other suggestions for logging with phone or laptop?

Last edited by kenneyd; 02-20-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 08:17 PM

2016 E63s
No particular recommendations, just figured a logged run could help Jerry and Co. visualize and diagnose the problem instead of them "hoping the car adapts". Or a dyno run might help and also baseline your car while you're at it.
Good luck!
Old 02-20-2021 | 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Hope you get it resolve soon but didn't you know about this issue going in, I thought you did, no?

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 02-20-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 09:07 PM

2014 E63S
Alot of people recommended going to dealer and getting latest trans and ecu updates. We have 7yr old cars with 7yr old firmware (6 in your case)
​​​
Old 02-21-2021 | 06:49 AM

poop
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Hope you get it resolve soon but didn't you know about this issue going in, I thought you did, no?
I did not.
I read through just about every post here with eurocharged in the title, both the post I referenced above flew under my radar since they didn't have it in the title.
Old 02-22-2021 | 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
I have had the same exact issue. I’m on my third AMG with EC tune. E55 and another 2014 cls63 non S. I remember having a harder shift On that one too but not as bad. I kept the tune on that car. This one is so bad I removed it within a month.

they have always given great customer service. They had me do all the same things. It never got better. The only way to make it shift smoothly was to not put it in to sport mode. They even programmed it so sport should have been the same but it still did it. Clearly seems like there are some hidden files they can’t access or something.

they also told me to go to dealer and update software. Said mine needed Atleast a few upgrades for both ecu and tcu. You’d think they’d have an older tune that works with cars that don’t have the new software though 🤷‍♂️

my car ran slower at the track with tune. Most likely due to the delayed and hard shift. Felt great every where else. I finally removed it and was going to wait until I went to the dealer. A year or so later and I haven’t done it yet ☹️

Last edited by dllhg; 02-22-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2021 | 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kenneyd
I did not.
I read through just about every post here with eurocharged in the title, both the post I referenced above flew under my radar since they didn't have it in the title.
that’s on me, sorry. should have posted the name. I wasn’t wanting to name names initially. They were doing a lot trying to help me.
Old 02-22-2021 | 11:13 AM

E63s
del

Last edited by wolves.creed; 02-23-2021 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2021 | 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
sounds like you need to upgrade and buy a TCU tune - my car and others that are tuned have all had the same issue essentially its the TCU retarding the amount of power being sent to the trans essentially keeping it from failure - i am not articulating it well, but its too much power and the TCU is holding it back - but my car 2014 does the same in S+ 2nd to 3rd is hard - look for the thread about the TCU tune - its long, but really helfpul.
Old 02-22-2021 | 12:32 PM

poop
Originally Posted by wolves.creed
The initial problem with the hard shift is 90% the tune, 10% the bushings of the rear diff. I'm probably the only one who has gone through so many tunes from different companies. I have had 7-8 different tunes, Weistec Morendi Gad motors and so on. Its simple stuff, i have two ecus, one with stock 585hp flash and no cat delete euro 2 ticked (so i don't get check engine light for my decat exhaust) and the second one st2 where i took all the good bits from different tunes and made it into one perfect tune. You guys must understand that every tune will be different and will have its benefits and bad sides, there are so many things to consider when you flash your car. for example there is a bug in weistec tune where you radiator fan works in one speed and your oil temps rise hard over 125c. Until i pointed it out they didn't even know about it, it happens when you flash your car and during that flashing process it will make the radiator fan stick to one speed no matter how hard you drive your car, the only solution is to reflash it again. My car has 18000 miles on it, its almost brand new, and my last tune was from Gad Motors where they offered me to do the engine tune and tcu tune. I know my car really well i know every jitter and push it does in gear change and every sound it makes, after the flash started experiencing hard shifts from 2-3 and i am 100% sure if i drove the car more like this it would brake something. Told the guys and got the same answer as the TS, must be your gearbox is dying (my car has 18000 miles on it). I just got my money back and put my stock ecu on and the problem went away. So if you didn't have these problems before the tune, just flash back to stock and see if the problem goes away, if it does get your money back and find someone who will get you a perfect tune. I mean we are talking about a cars that are 7 years old now and people could give away their tunes for free, i did ))) I have a amg crew WhatsApp group and i just gave my tune for free to 14 people there, they only paid to flash it to their cars. I mean tuners are not interested in these cars anymore and the cost of the tune is so low in my country that you might as well get it for free. If you guys need it, i will send it to you without any problems. All you need to do is find someone who will flash it, usually it costs about 150-200$. Hope you get your problem sorted.
Even though these cars are several years old now, I would actually imagine the opposite for the popularity of tunes. I dont think a lot of people 6 years ago were paying $125k for a brand new under warranty car are going to immediately void that with a tune, However, all of our cars are now out of warranty and these can be had for $35-60k all day, new owners are much more likely to be tune.

Originally Posted by baldmike73
sounds like you need to upgrade and buy a TCU tune - my car and others that are tuned have all had the same issue essentially its the TCU retarding the amount of power being sent to the trans essentially keeping it from failure - i am not articulating it well, but its too much power and the TCU is holding it back - but my car 2014 does the same in S+ 2nd to 3rd is hard - look for the thread about the TCU tune - its long, but really helfpul.
In the AMS tune link above, the guy said initially he had a 2-3 harsh shift but AMS was able to "tune it to perfection" to remedy the shift.
If a company advertises a product, like a tune, but that tune wont work unless you also do xxx, xxx, xxxx etc. then they need to disclose that.
billvp218 (02-22-2021), timm206 (08-19-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 06:07 PM

2014 E63S
"Star tool, re-adaptation of wet-clutch system then drive the car in S not S+ for 100 miles or so to allow for the driver self learning feature. Put back in S+ and problem should go away"

This the answer I got from a friend who owns a shop that sells ecu and tcu tunes for our cars.
Old 02-22-2021 | 07:13 PM

poop
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
"Star tool, re-adaptation of wet-clutch system then drive the car in S not S+ for 100 miles or so to allow for the driver self learning feature. Put back in S+ and problem should go away"

This the answer I got from a friend who owns a shop that sells ecu and tcu tunes for our cars.
I know for sure I drove it well over a 100 miles before i disconnected the battery, but it would have been a mix of C, S and some S+
However I think we are giving the trans to much credit. Maybe these 7spds actually can change the way the shift, maybe not. I thing the "learning" is more related to your driving style. i.e. how long it holds gears, when does it upshift/down shift at what throttle setting etc.
I think NoVAe63s above is on to something. If the throttle is completely closing during the shift due to whatever, poor tune or the protection measures, it would absolutely feel the drag of the motor and the violent action of open/close/open throttle on a 600hp motor. My blazer crappy 700r4 shifts hard, but it due to a quick gear change when the motor is still trying to make power, throttle still open. The trans in my e63s is doing its job fine IMO I think its a engine issue.
I am currently working with Jerry, He has sent several tunes to try. I will report back, hopefully with a happy outcome!
cotmfk (02-24-2021), evilsaint (12-02-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 07:24 PM

2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Hope you sort it out.

Data logging would show what is going on when you feel that hard shift, i.e. throttle body position, boost etc.
Old 02-22-2021 | 08:35 PM

AMG
Sorry to hear!
As your trans was just updated I don't find that to be a solution, it seems like its a Tuning issue or tq reporting issue on the tuners end that needs some fine tuning.
I am on original 2014 ECU and TCU software and all is fine for me with my tune from another company, not to start a tuner vs tuner thread, but just giving a example.

I know personally some peoples car has been cured from this with TCU tuning from EDOK, BUT it should absolutely should work crisp and perfect just like factory without a TCU tune even with stock TQ limiters in place.

May be a specific ECU or TCU version that the tune isnt playing nice with possibly?
Old 02-22-2021 | 08:59 PM

poop
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Hope you sort it out.

Data logging would show what is going on when you feel that hard shift, i.e. throttle body position, boost etc.
I'm going to try data logging tomorrow and biting the throttle position
Originally Posted by 5soko
Sorry to hear!
As your trans was just updated I don't find that to be a solution, it seems like its a Tuning issue or tq reporting issue on the tuners end that needs some fine tuning.
I am on original 2014 ECU and TCU software and all is fine for me with my tune from another company, not to start a tuner vs tuner thread, but just giving a example.

I know personally some peoples car has been cured from this with TCU tuning from EDOK, BUT it should absolutely should work crisp and perfect just like factory without a TCU tune even with stock TQ limiters in place.

May be a specific ECU or TCU version that the tune isnt playing nice with possibly?
​​​​​​
I mentioned earlier that my TCU was updated. That was based on an entry into on my cars VMI stating that.
When I talked to Jerry today, he said the version I have is still from 2014. And there are newer ones. But he also said that, that is not the issue.

Old 02-23-2021 | 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Believe it or not my cls63 2012 (47000 km) did this harsh shifting only from 2nd gear to third and only in manual mode, c s or s+ is shifting fine, car is bone stock with updated ecu/tcu and no the adaption of wet clutch did not solve it.
Old 02-23-2021 | 10:06 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Jerry will get you sorted. Have no fear!
kenneyd (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm going to try data logging tomorrow and biting the throttle position

​​​​​​
I mentioned earlier that my TCU was updated. That was based on an entry into on my cars VMI stating that.
When I talked to Jerry today, he said the version I have is still from 2014. And there are newer ones. But he also said that, that is not the issue.
Interesting. I really hope he figures this out. I’d love To get my tune back on. I just lost the drive to keep working on It and gave up.
Old 02-24-2021 | 04:27 PM

2014 AMG E63S and 2020 AMG GTC
I know this deviates from the general consensus in this thread, but have you ruled out engine mount issues?
Take five minutes to rule that out before going down too many rabbit holes.. and yes, go to MB and get the latest updates for your transmission as well.

If you are having issues with a particular tune that no one else is, then that tells me there may be a mechanical issue behind it. I'm not ruling out software by the way, just suggesting look to mechanical issues first.
JesseB (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 07:40 PM

poop
Originally Posted by brutus_tx
I know this deviates from the general consensus in this thread, but have you ruled out engine mount issues?
Take five minutes to rule that out before going down too many rabbit holes.. and yes, go to MB and get the latest updates for your transmission as well.

If you are having issues with a particular tune that no one else is, then that tells me there may be a mechanical issue behind it. I'm not ruling out software by the way, just suggesting look to mechanical issues first.
My motor mounts are fine.
Like mentioned before, the car has 11k mile from a 82-yr old PO, I bought it and everything worked perfect. I flash STG1 on there and everything is perfect except S+ 2-3 shift. Flash back to stock and the problem goes away. If it was the motor mounts, it still be there.
Jerry sent a couple test tune with stock Tq management vs modified it may have changed the severity of the 2-3 shift.
Remember, Im not talking about a overly hard or firm shift, im saying the shift has a brief deceleration in if that causes a very uncomfortable jolt. Perhaps this is what is breaking peoples mounts??
And as we have found out, many people have reported this, not just me.

Anyway EC came back today saying it was likely the outdated version of the TCU software 0009021222. Apparently they think it might not be able to relearn shift adaption, and the suggestion was made to go to the dealer do have them perform a shift adaption. I have a xentry, so I then reset all the adaption learning, and then ran the upshift 2-3 adaption specifically. This was this afternoon, I drove it for about 10 miles after this, but the traffic was bad and and it wasn't going to be safe testing the 2-3. I got maybe 2 or 3 tries and I wanna say is felt slightly better, but no where near what it felt like with a stock tune.
I planned on driving it for 100+ miles over a few days before declaring a verdict

BUT, just now i was able to use my xentry/vediamo to flash to 0009028526, which not the newest(i could have), but it is exactly was jerry recommended. I will test this tomorrow and report back.

Last edited by kenneyd; 02-24-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2021 | 08:15 PM

2014 E63S
My motor mounts are fine.
Like mentioned before, the car has 11k mile from a 82-yr old PO, I bought it and everything worked perfect. I flash STG1 on there and everything is perfect except S+ 2-3 shift. Flash back to stock and the problem goes away. If it was the motor mounts, it still be there.
Jerry sent a couple test tune with stock Tq management vs modified it may have changed the severity of the 2-3 shift.
Remember, Im not talking about a overly hard or firm shift, im saying the shift has a brief deceleration in if that causes a very uncomfortable jolt. Perhaps this is what is breaking peoples mounts??
And as we have found out, many people have reported this, not just me.

Anyway EC came back today saying it was likely the outdated version of the TCU software 0009021222. Apparently they think it might not be able to relearn shift adaption, and the suggestion was made to go to the dealer do have them perform a shift adaption. I have a xentry, so I then reset all the adaption learning, and then ran the upshift 2-3 adaption specifically. This was this afternoon, I drove it for about 10 miles after this, but the traffic was bad and and it wasn't going to be safe testing the 2-3. I got maybe 2 or 3 tries and I wanna say is felt slightly better, but no where near what it felt like with a stock tune.
I planned on driving it for 100+ miles over a few days before declaring a verdict

BUT, just now i was able to use my xentry/vediamo to flash to 0009028526, which not the newest, but it is exactly was jerry recommended. I will test this tomorrow and report back.
Sorry you're going through this man.

I'd love to get that added WHP and WTQ out of my E63S but just reading the issues you're having makes me honestly just want to keep the engine completely stock.

Hopefully your issue gets sorted out sooner rather than later, I know when I had my m156 e63 tuned by eurocharged it would go into limp mode at WOT. Once I took it to an authorized dealer here in town with eurocharged and had them flash it all the problems went away. I'd try that as well.

DIVINE AMG (03-17-2021)
Old 02-24-2021 | 09:03 PM

2014 E63S AMG
Are you talking about the ECU tune or the TCU tune? Because if you mean the ECU tune I had this issue as well. I eventually got an EDOK TCU tune and that cured it.

Last edited by brfatal; 02-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very displeased with Eurocharged Tune, violent 2-3 in S+