Sponsored by:

Lane keeping assist inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 06:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
E63 AMG
Lane keeping assist inoperative

Just got this message the last night. Windshield and rear glass were both dirty so I cleaned them when I got home. Turned the vehicle on just now and drove it around the block. Message popped up again. Blind spot works fine, turn signals work fine so I'm kind of confused. Is the error message stored and thus disables the feature until the code gets cleared by a scanner? Also, aside from the camera mounted into the windshield, are there any other sensors that the function relies besides the rear radar sensors? I figure if the radar sensors are faulty, then blind spot monitoring would have thrown a malfunction error as well.

Last edited by CZ 75; 12-17-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:12 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
I believe just the cameras to the Lane assist, blind spot is some sensors in the meters, and destronic is of course the radar and the cameras on the front.

Having a dirty windshield will be" throw a code" its also possible that your radar is also dirty. Try cleaning the star on the front of your car
Well these are noted in the computer, they do not need to be cleared to function again. Simply the issue needs to be resolved.
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 04:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
When the wire harnesses and plugs go bad they have given this code .. well described across many benz platforms with these features
Old 12-18-2022, 08:21 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kenneyd
I believe just the cameras to the Lane assist, blind spot is some sensors in the meters, and destronic is of course the radar and the cameras on the front.

Having a dirty windshield will be" throw a code" its also possible that your radar is also dirty. Try cleaning the star on the front of your car
Well these are noted in the computer, they do not need to be cleared to function again. Simply the issue needs to be resolved.
My car didn’t come with Distronic so I don’t have the front mounted radar sensor. I’m just curious how long it takes for the error to clear up if in fact I was just due to crud on the windshield?

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
When the wire harnesses and plugs go bad they have given this code .. well described across many benz platforms with these features
Pete, I did a full on site search and couldn’t find a conclusive answer to this - everyone else had to replace their radar sensor’s because they also had error for blind spot. Which wire harness and or plugs could this be? I’ll be scanning for codes later this week.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:24 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
I have not heard anything about the camera wiring harnesses.

As far as clearing up, it's usually instantaneous or one ignition cycle.

For example, the other day my windows fogged up when I drove by kind of a humid area, later when I scan the car on the xentry it told me exactly what mileage and time the camera was blocked and when it got unblocked.

One other silly I heard, my friend anytime he would start his in his garage when he pulled in backwards, it would give him the lane assist or distronic unavailable.
It never happened when I pulled in forward lol.
Why? No idea, I assume that maybe the cameras go through a startup test and they just couldn't see correctly into the Sun or something
Old 12-18-2022, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
lemme search and get back to you; anecdotally I had this issue on my 2014 e550 sedan and the dealer had to change the wiring harness to get this to work again; it was the rear sensors that had corroded harnesses; I never checked the codes as I took for warranty repair at that time

update: just found that bad sensors needed to be replaced.

https://xenons4u.co.uk/blog/mercedes...ative-warning/

Last edited by PeterUbers; 12-18-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:18 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
lemme search and get back to you; anecdotally I had this issue on my 2014 e550 sedan and the dealer had to change the wiring harness to get this to work again; it was the rear sensors that had corroded harnesses; I never checked the codes as I took for warranty repair at that time

update: just found that bad sensors needed to be replaced.

https://xenons4u.co.uk/blog/mercedes...ative-warning/
That was one of the google search results I ran across yesterday. Regarding the radar sensors, if they failed, then blind spot monitoring wouldn’t work me thinks. On my vehicle it works just fine. I remember one failed in my A6 - blind spot monitoring quit working right away. In other threads here on this topic, those that had failed radar sensors - all have stated that blind spot monitoring also got disabled in addition to lane keep assist. I guess I’ll see if the code cleared after I drive again here in a few days. If the camera or some component that serves lane keep exclusively indeed has failed, hopefully I can just code the feature out. It’s useless imo. It’s the warning appearing on my screen that’s most bothersome.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:33 AM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
On the shoulder
I agree that if the issue is fixed, it should not throw error messages upon the next start up. To add to the list of possible causes, one potential cause is a battery that is end of life. The car will start shutting down functions to preserve the most essential functions, and it does not consider the driver assistance features as essential.

Also, anecdotally, I've noticed that if it's raining hard enough, the car will tell you that Distronic and those driver assist features are not available.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:15 AM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by cotmfk
I agree that if the issue is fixed, it should not throw error messages upon the next start up. To add to the list of possible causes, one potential cause is a battery that is end of life. The car will start shutting down functions to preserve the most essential functions, and it does not consider the driver assistance features as essential.

Also, anecdotally, I've noticed that if it's raining hard enough, the car will tell you that Distronic and those driver assist features are not available.
Ya I ran across that too. The battery in the engine compartment is brand new. Do you know if this feature uses it or the aux battery in the trunk?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:59 PM

Received 350 Likes on 241 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Adding in a scenario. I have had this happen when taking a fast turn with a concrete barrier next to me. It’s almost as though it recognizes it’s not a car and shuts it off. The function resumes when I stop, even in traffic. Or if I’m really cookin, at next startup. All other listed issues are valid and wondered if anyone else noticed this behavior.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:42 AM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
On the shoulder
Originally Posted by CZ 75
Ya I ran across that too. The battery in the engine compartment is brand new. Do you know if this feature uses it or the aux battery in the trunk?
I am not sure, but my understanding is people are making the complaint when they need to replace the main battery. So, I'd like to say it's the main battery, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:52 PM

E63 AMG
Well, I got some good news. Went for a drive today and the message went away. Looks like you have to drive a certain amount(or car has to be on for a certain amount of time) for the message to go away. The other day I just went around my subdivision for 2-3 minutes. Today probably was in the road for 30 minutes. Parked it. Came back and it every was working like before. Thanks all for your support.